00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,441 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:06:12

At 10/11/06 09:04 PM, squeakytoad wrote: Keep in mind though, that some movies are hilarious without having to have good graphics.

so then have "Effectiveness of Graphics"

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:06:18

Hmm I guess so but maybe instead of getting rid of those change the catiorgies to things that apply to call flashes. Like is the art good, is it something we haven't seen before, is it entertaining? Something like that even though people have already posted saying the same thing I just thought I would say its a good idea D:

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:06:40

I like the idea. If people want to express their opinions about graphics, sound, etc, they will have to write a longer review. I guess people won't write more, but, why not trying?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:18:51

At 10/11/06 06:27 PM, TinoX wrote: i say u can vote in only one catagory if u want (maybe just overall) and leave the catagorys that dont apply/u dont want to vote on as maybe an x. so they default of all the other categories could be an x and the reviewer can pick if they want to vote on that catagory, so u wont be required to vote in the others just the overall.

any body else understand/agree?

like for example u could vote x on the violence category for a puzzle game etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:31:30

just hurry up and change the site again.. heheeh

"He Who Devours Your Entrails & Enjoys It" : Lobo

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:35:03

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, and though I doubt it really matters what my $0.02, but:

Why not just keep all the categories, but add a default N/R (not rated) option to all of the specific categories? That way, if a flash is supposed to be violent, for example, then it can be rated according its violence, and if not, it could just be left at N/R. And by having the default at N/R, people who just want to give an overall score can do so without having to select a score for the other options, but those that do want to score it to give additional feedback to the author can do so?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:35:24

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

i would review movies if you made this change.
those things were pointless and time consuming.
much better change then smaller sigs.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:36:12

My thoughts are that it should just be a unique setting for the audio section and flash sections of NG

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:36:47

At 10/11/06 09:31 PM, Dark-Knight wrote: just hurry up and change the site again.. heheeh

Ya just show us the new layout :P

unless you are trying to take care of this in the new layout system...

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:49:27

At 10/11/06 04:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality
Entertainality
Overall
Hmmmm... Entertainality....

Maybe we should have a drag bar where one side is a crying person and the other is a laughing person. This determines whether the submission makes you laugh, or if it makes you sad... Or if it's just somewhere in between. :)

Right idea... but just because a submission doesn't make me laugh doesn't mean it's not good. Plenty of the flash in the serious section is great, but no laughs there.

smoke meth and hail satan

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:49:47

Not that anyone is going to read this BUT I would get rid of ONLY the violence and interactivity scores.

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:54:00

We should keep it with more boxes, but instead of things like VIOLENCE put things like MOTION,
or other things like that, motion would be an alright one, cas thats in every movie just about, violence isnt!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 21:59:14

Thoughts?

well..i always tought the individual scores were to point out waht the movie/game lacked.....
if theres just one individual score many people wont say what they didnt like and just put a 0 and write that it suckes..anyway that people put just a tone of zeros...and some of the individual scores can be applied for some movies and games which arent just meant to be violent or interactive...so i dont know what is the best....

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:01:41

Yer, if theres just an overall score, the creator wont know where his faults where, and what he needs to improve.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:10:45

you should only be able to review if you have flash in the portal

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:21:46

perfect

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:31:45

I hate the lists reviewers make who notice the smaller categories WAAAAY too much.

Even though it states clearly "This is not neccesarily an average" Like IF it has no "interactivity" or "humor" it somehow deserves to lose points. Bogus. That encourage an everything must be the "same and unoriginal" mindset as much as the blam and save points encourage people to all vote the same way.

All should be good things but are treated incorrectly and stupidly.

I feel that the minor scores is meant to make viewers aware of what to expect from the movie and not as a scoring method.

NOW other then that I wouldn't have a problem BUT like Tom's old thumbs up thumbs down scoring idea from way back when I think it might simplify things too much.

If it does go I'd like to say before it does I always hated the categories named. There was never any points you could give for the "Story" and "Effort" that was put into the flash.

HATED that.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:40:45

I actually rather like the format that is currently in place. Have you been getting a lot of complaints in PM's from many different users about the current format being too much of a hassle? If not, then why retool something that has been working rather well (at least, from what I have seen) for many years?

Pain is irrelevant, there is only pain.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:41:33

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores.

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

I think having just one score is a great idea. Also the option to maximize the review window would be nice. Having to side scroll is annoying.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:42:56

I've always considered the individual scores to be somewhat of a pain; and even redundant considering the presence of the "vote panel". I think simplifying it is a great idea.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 22:54:11

Good idea. Most people will just vote 10/0 on everything anyway. Also, some movies don't have any violence or humor or interactivity anyway. A simple number should do just fine (maybe out of 100 would be better).

:)

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 23:03:03

I Agree.

An easy solution is to just make it so that athe extra ratings aren't mandatory. Also, get rid of "interactive" and "violence".

AND, change the threshold from 10 to 5, so that the voting stays consistent around the site!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 23:10:49

Naw man, Don't take everything away.

Maybe keep something along the lines of,

graphics
sound

and overall

I alway liked to see what people rated the submissions with on voilence and everything tho, but go ahead do whatcha like.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 23:20:55

I think it's a good idea. I think having so many boxes for some catagories that aren't used for each flash is just bad looking as you would be forced to give a zero (if you were reviewing honestly anyway) for something that wasn't a game in the interactivity spot. So just one overall grade is a much better idea. I'm for it!

Founder of the "Weird" Al club & Strong Badia. TMBG Club! MLP! Sig by: Ryan

Click the sig... YouTube My Let's Play Channel Game Sharks

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 23:46:13

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

Hey Tom!

Personally, I like the way the rating system is right now... I've seen thousands of animations and reviewed just as many. However, if it something you would like to change - than I am open to it.

ry

How you doin?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 23:58:39

Sounds like a good idea. I know when I write a review I find it tedious to go through individual scores when the reason I decided to write the review was to just convey my initial impression of the game, not analyze it piece by piece. Of course, you know this already. It was your idea.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 00:07:38

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

I think you should just change them around a little and make using them optional. So if you decide you don't want to bother you don't have to and it won't show up on the review.

With that said I wouldn't miss them if they were no more.

And I agree, a score for violence doen't really make much sence...

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 00:20:37

At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality

:Entertainality

Overall

you forgot Strategery Mr Bush

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 00:33:15

I do like the humour score, I use that one all the time. I do agree, that filling them all out is a hassle, one big score might be best, even if I do find humour usefull often times.

Ya know what? DOOOO IIITTTTT!!!!111 plz

Bleh.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 00:42:17

I thought about it for a while and have come to the conclusion that this would be better, in my opinion, of coarse.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature