00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,427 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 14:41:05

the only thing that stopped me from review spamming was that whole wait for a minute bull
and the scores

so now i can bring my review # up

WOOOOOOOOO

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 14:45:11

At 10/11/06 11:37 PM, Bug wrote: i like the idea of having one score because hardly any one reviews they just comment and leave it at that. which is fine.

one other thing i would like to see though, is the ability to block all users from even commenting on my cartoons in the first place.

Ya that would be cool. Or only allowing people to rate 10's lmao...

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 14:53:24

Here's another idea.

Back to a 4 general category scheme

Graphics/Animation
Originality and Style
Entertainment Value
Overall

we should have 4 seperate text boxes, one for each category. That way, you'll get a lot less reviews with just the word "gay" in them and they will (or should) explain the score for each category, then post general comments in the last box.

With this way, you could format the reviews in a neat manner with headings and such too, plus it will give authors more of an idea on how their flashes are doing in each category.

Yes, it will take more time to write a review, but shoulding writing a review take time? What good does "AWESOME" do to the flash maker? It'd be much better this way IMO.

And if you wanted, you could even divide each section into pros and cons to force them to analyze each aspect of a flash. Although this isn't necessarily necessary.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 14:56:00

I think you should change it, but maybe better (and less) categories would work too.

Sound, Graphics, Entertainment, Overall.

Sound is for the sounds/voice work/music in the movie/game.
Graphics for the graphics (duh)
Entertainment is for the story/humor/violence of the movie or gameplay in the game.
And the overall score as well, the overall score.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:06:32

Go for it.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:09:06

We should really have some sort of Newgrounds Congress to sort out important issues like these.

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:13:14

To quote my everyday hero Garth Elgar:

We fear change.

Review Scores

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:20:12

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

That is a very good idea i can't believe you didn't do it before!!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:25:40

i think its a very good idea.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:31:45

This would single handedly make me want to review, along with a review counting for something like a vote does.

I know, that's two.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:35:46

I think its a great idea. It can make the reviews short and to the point but make the author if he/she cares the viewers opinion without trying to use every catorgery to review a flash.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:36:34

At 10/11/06 07:59 PM, Starogre wrote: I haven't read anyone else's stuff so if i repeat, don't sue me please.

This is what you should do:

You should have certain categories that could deal with everything, such as graphics, style, originality, overall.

Then you can insert like 3 other sub categories that the flash author thinks are most important, and integrating that into their flash submission.

Like, for example, if someone submits a funny, violent, random game, they would choose, Interactivity, Violence, and Humor, over things such as Plot or *insert other clever subcategory here*.

This will give in an oppurtunity for flash authors to have a say in what they should be judged on.

If a movie wasn't meant to have a huge amazing plot like a serious flash series would, then a flash movie shouldn't be based on plot.

However, I believe everything should be based on Graphics, Originality, and Style because that's the basis of a good flash submission.

Hope you take the idea into account :)

I had also had this idea for reviews, and I think this is the best sounding one, although it could possibly take more work to implement.

Following on from what Starogre said, allowing the author themselves to select what is going to be reviewed will allow for the most useful feedback to the author, and possibly encourage better reviews from the users, as the categories would be more appropriate for the Flash content that the current preset ones.

Overall score should be the only preset category, while perhaps 5 other categories are selected by the author from a list in the Flash submission page. Maybe there could also be a 'Custom' category that the author could use, if there is something that they would like to be rated on but isn't currently in the list? They could type in something to the custom category and that would show up as another category to the viewers. I'll stop now, I wouldn't want liljim to hate me too much. :)

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:49:13

At 10/11/06 04:29 PM, ramagi wrote: The current catagories doen't really apply to all the flashes that are submitted.
Tehre are plenty of puzzle games or other games that have no violence.
So would that would be a 0 in that fied, but the game is a great game.
The same goes for Humor and interactivity.

i feel the same way, a movie has no objective of being interactive so why put it in?

the line below is the truth

the line above is a lie

sig by jay11

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 15:53:26

You should take out the violence and interactivity boxes and replace it with something else... the actual rating system helps to help the animator in the flaws that they are having, dont take it out please..

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:10:57

I never liked filling those things out! I felt bad giving a 0 for interactive on movies.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:27:08

I think that will make stuff easier thanks tom.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:33:03

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

I think that'd a good idea, but I think we should keep graphics and sound, and maybe add originality? But anyway, I'd like to keep graphics and sound at least. Hope this helps!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:38:06

good idea! I think this would be much much more better!

rjhreilly@hotmail.com

STEAM: _frizzyskernip_

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:38:11

Putting Interactivity in a movie is just plain fucking pointless.

Cute+Funny=?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:47:18

Personally I think there should be about 3-4 different categories to vote on such as: graphics, originality, and overall. That would give a good understanding for what the person is trying to say in my opinion.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:50:25

I think you should get rid of all the stuff except for graphics, fun, and overall. Those are the most important ones.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 16:55:43

I think it's a great idea! Violence and humor are pointless for the fact that not all movies are supposed funny or violent!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 17:00:56

http://www.newground..ortal/top_rated.html

I suggest a visit to that page and see what the scores are being used for. I find them pretty convenient when I'm looking for the funniest or best looking movies on the site.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 17:35:09

Yes, get rid of the individual boxes, but make the overall score go from 1-100

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 17:36:57

That´s a really good idea. I did't like the current way to rate submissions, to tell you the truth. Rating in a bunch of categories that have nothing to do with the overall score just doesn't make sense to me, and as you said, individual scores are not used anywhere else anyway. I applaud this decision, I think this will make me rate more submissions!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 17:48:44

I say keep it the way and is, but do not make voting in every category a requirement. If someone chooses not to vote in a category, just leave a little line there.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 17:50:24

i think you should leave some of the fields for an individual review so that an artist can see what kind of scores (s)he is getting but the overall score should be the first available and the one that actually carries weight in the grand sceme of things.

Violence and Humor are outdated for the new newgrounds as it's not based on killing and fart jokes anymore, it's becoming a serious gallery for well-thought concepts and art. As far as how they should be replaced, I don't know, that's up to you, that's why you get paid the big bucks!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:01:17

same goes for interactivity for movies :P i think the review criteria shoudl be different for movies and games according to what they selected (when submitting) in genres eg. funny, violent then humor and violence opions on reviews should come up...my 2 cents

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:15:28

I like the idea of having scores but I really wouldn't miss them. I thinkg if they are to stay the need to be updated. I have seen games that are fun as hell but just not in any of those categories. Then there are movies that aren't meant to be funny or violent. All in all I don't care if you add to them or remove them but something needs to be done.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-12 18:15:42

That would be awesome, but maybe make the categories just optional and edit them to be a little more relevant, as sometimes I think it helps point out a movie that does good in a certain aspect or is lacking in one, which in turn can help the author make better flash next submission.

bro at me come

BBS Signature