00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,121 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:26:02

Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:26:50

I think we should keep the scores for things, just make them a bit more ambiguous

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:27:21

Sounds nice.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:27:46

Sure. I guess it's a good idea. Whatever you say Tom. :S

Signature

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:27:55

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another one of those random questions that is really just meant to prepare you for something we might end up doing whether or not you like it:

If this means what I think it means... schway.

Thoughts?

Sounds good. Leave the option for a 0 in there though. That'd be good.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:27:56

Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality
Entertainality
Overall

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:28:02

I think thats a good idea. How humourous, violent or interactive something is isn't always relevant to a piece of work. If someone really wants to show their opinion in relevant fields, they can just include it in the actual review.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:28:13

That sounds a lot better. Or else maybe you wouldn't have to fill in all the spaces.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:28:37

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

Great idea. The simpler the better.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:28:40

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

It sounds good to me. When i normally write reviews i write about what the strong points were, what the bad points were and how to improve the artists next flash, so when i write a review i get everything covered in my post. So it wouldnt bother me too much i guess.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:29:20

The current catagories doen't really apply to all the flashes that are submitted.
Tehre are plenty of puzzle games or other games that have no violence.
So would that would be a 0 in that fied, but the game is a great game.
The same goes for Humor and interactivity.

I felt for a while the catgories are a bit outdated.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:29:57

not a good idea

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:30:12

Sounds like a great idea, but I would keep the sound, graphics, style, and (if appropriate for whether its a game or animation) the interactivity dropdown optional but not required for a review. Those numbers actually do help in some ways. I think the interactivity dropdown should not appear for submissions that are animations, because it seems like a silly score to judge upon.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:30:16

At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Entertainality

Is that a word? Maybe entertainment value...

I'd say to have 3 categories along the lines of "quality," "amusment" and "overall." But, it's your site.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:30:17

Yeah, I think if anything, the individual ratings should just be optional.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:30:53

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I think we should keep the scores for things, just make them a bit more ambiguous

agree'd

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:31:09

At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality
Entertainality
Overall

Hmmmm... Entertainality....

Maybe we should have a drag bar where one side is a crying person and the other is a laughing person. This determines whether the submission makes you laugh, or if it makes you sad... Or if it's just somewhere in between. :)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:31:12

I think its a good idea, dealing with all those drop boxes gets annoying after a while.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:31:20

If there was just one overall score, then that would be easier, yeah. But still, sometimes it's good to know what some users think about certain aspects of your movie. But I agree aboout violence, it's pretty pointless. I mean, there's no score for nudity, is there?

But sure, whatever you say.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:31:24

Most of the time I would rather give an overall score then fill out all those other boxes.
It would save people voting 0 for everything just to give you an overall as well.
The only ones I think are worth reviewing are graphics, style and sound.
When someone really likes an animation they just give ten for everything, including humour and violence even though it might be a serious short and not have any of that in it.
It would be better to have boxes to give a score for something that actually relates to their animation. Like only games should have interactivity.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:31:34

Personally I would have "Animation", "Graphics" and 'Sound' but the overall is much easier ya.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:32:18

Keep them, just make them optional so you don't have to select a vote for all of them.

THAT WAY I can just put an overall vote if I just want to leave a quick review, or if I want to leave an extensive review I can do all of them.

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:00

Apart from violence choice I kinda like(d) them, although the interactivity score should have been made game specific, and not used in movie reviews tbh :?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:02

I'm all up for simplifying it. It's rare that people seem to actually rate out the individual categories for feedback.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:03

Yeah, this is one of those things that should have been done a long time ago.

I don't even see the need for an opinion from us, or a debate.

Stuff like Violence and humor doesn't apply to half of quality flash movies.

If you're going to do a system like that, then make it so when the author submit his flash movie there will be an option for the type of the movie. ( I already think there is)

If he selects violent movie, then the violet box will be added. Same for humor, etc.

If you're not going to do something like that, then like I said before go for the change.

No point in having it like it is currently.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:31

I think it could work out nice. Afterall, if people wanna comment on just the graphics, they do so, and many reviewers put a score there after their comments anyway.

I don't think people's reviews would be worse either you have the drop down boxes or not. Just keep the "Overall" score option, and it'll be good.

All and all, I believe it'll look better with just an overall score.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:39

:you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to :represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

Very good idea, Tom. I think that the VIOLENCE criteria is outdated too. many games and movies are "innocent," and do not involve violence. This doesn't mean there should be a big, fat ZERO in the review. liking the idea, tom. liking the idea.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:33:54

At 10/11/06 04:32 PM, LazyDrunk wrote: Kinda like what Glaiel said:

Originality, Entertainment, Graphics, Overall.

Yeah actually that sounds like the best idea. Go for that. No more. No less.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:34:38

At 10/11/06 04:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality
Entertainality
Overall
Hmmmm... Entertainality....

Maybe we should have a drag bar where one side is a crying person and the other is a laughing person. This determines whether the submission makes you laugh, or if it makes you sad... Or if it's just somewhere in between. :)

well see not all submissions are meant to spark emotion.

If anything, I think there should be different categories for games and movies

GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:35:02

Noes.

Many people don't really write reviews that are very long or detailed, and many end up being something sounding like "cool, that was really fun" or whatever. So having individual scores for each part of the flash helps the author see what they need to improve, even if it isn't mentioned in the review.

Although I do agree that I don't understand the violence category. It makes it seem like a flash needs to have violence to get a good review score. I guess you could reduce the number of categories, or make them more relevant to each flash movie.

BBS Signature