00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,878,868 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 14:03:47

At 9/2/15 12:17 PM, Sam wrote:
At 9/2/15 11:09 AM, egg82 wrote: What the hell are you doing that 4GB isn't enough? You realize WiFi exists, right?
The Wifi at work is pretty atrocious, and my morning commute has no Wifi

Apparently I used 8gb last month, not sure how. Though some web pages are fucking huge on mobile.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 15:13:41

At 9/2/15 12:17 PM, Sam wrote: The Wifi at work is pretty atrocious, and my morning commute has no Wifi

Slow is better than nothing ;)
Also you should be able to download stuff at your house before you run off. Watch a video that's already been downloaded = no bandwidth usage and no buffer times. Win/win

At 9/2/15 02:03 PM, MSGhero wrote: Apparently I used 8gb last month, not sure how. Though some web pages are fucking huge on mobile.

Both Android and iOS can show you what applications used all of your data.

For me, it's Pandora.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 15:39:19 (edited 2015-09-02 15:39:47)

At 9/2/15 03:13 PM, egg82 wrote: Both Android and iOS can show you what applications used all of your data.

For me, it's Pandora.

Since June 3, I have

8.7 gb Twitter
5.6 gb YouTube
5.4 gb Safari
2.3 gb Spotify (I thought it would cache songs like on PC but maybe not all of them...or ads are huge)
1.2 gb Mail
1.2 gb App Store (I think my wifi died while I was updating huge-ass hearthstone)

cellular used.

Twitter and Mail are also storing 3/4 gb total because of their awful caching.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 15:48:36 (edited 2015-09-02 15:49:27)

At 9/2/15 03:39 PM, MSGhero wrote: 8.7 gb Twitter

Ho. Ly. Shit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnppaqIHQUY

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 16:37:26

At 9/2/15 03:48 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 9/2/15 03:39 PM, MSGhero wrote: 8.7 gb Twitter
Ho. Ly. Shit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnppaqIHQUY

I honestly have no idea how that happened. Maybe autoplay wrecked me before I turned it off. Or maybe gifs are the killer. Idk what the app is doing sometimes...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-02 20:06:21

At 9/2/15 04:37 PM, MSGhero wrote: I honestly have no idea how that happened. Maybe autoplay wrecked me before I turned it off. Or maybe gifs are the killer. Idk what the app is doing sometimes...

But it's twitter!

There's 1000 bytes in a kilobyte and 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte and 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte.
(ish)

Then you've read 8.7 gigabytes or 8,700 megabytes or 8,700,000 kilobytes or 8,700,000,000 bytes.
If each keyboard character is 8 bytes then you've read 1,087,500,000 characters. Assuming each tweet was 100 characters long, you've read 10,875,000 tweets in the last month alone.

Assuming each tweet takes 5 seconds to read then you've spent 54,375,000 seconds or 906,250 minutes or 15,104 hours or 629 days reading tweets. In the last month.

You spend too much time on twitter.
My math is flawless.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-03 12:55:12

Ah, shit. My AS3Utils library is actually a framework and I've been trying to force it to be a library.
There's too many internal dependencies. I should just make it a framework and let it be that.

Eh, that's not a bad thing I suppose..
More Github projects

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-03 13:17:34

At 9/2/15 03:13 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 9/2/15 12:17 PM, Sam wrote: The Wifi at work is pretty atrocious, and my morning commute has no Wifi
Slow is better than nothing ;)

It's not when my 30 minute break is nothing but waiting for a video to load.

Also you should be able to download stuff at your house before you run off. Watch a video that's already been downloaded = no bandwidth usage and no buffer times. Win/win

Yeah, my Spotify playlists and some favourite albums are downloaded, but I waste so much time on reddit looking at videos and gifs on the train, that's probably what wastes it (as well as snapchat and other shit).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-03 22:48:19

I made a taco bell food name generator http://tylerglaiel.com/tacobell/

Mini-Loco Salcoritowrap-Double Decker-Flavorita Taco!
Spicy Charoichanga!
XXL Nachquito Crunch!
Fresco Burdita Supreme!
Hard-Fiesta Quesachoslupa Box!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-05 07:48:46

At 9/4/15 01:21 AM, PSvils wrote: Oh nooo, no wifi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsOUbZ0Lr0

Love me some Louis CK

At 9/3/15 10:48 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Mini-Loco Salcoritowrap-Double Decker-Flavorita Taco!
Spicy Charoichanga!
XXL Nachquito Crunch!
Fresco Burdita Supreme!
Hard-Fiesta Quesachoslupa Box!

Cheesy Mexidita

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-09 05:18:44

lol.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-09 10:35:45

At 9/9/15 05:18 AM, dELtaluca wrote: lol.

Holy fuck, out of nowhere O.o
Warn me next time you come back from the dead!

(Also, thanks for the massive amount of help you've given me in your posts)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-10 01:34:10

Question: Since YouTube got this whole 360 thing, is it possible to take a game and record multiple camera angles, then stitch it together using the same software Google recommends for a 360 video of a game?
Answer: I don't see why not. I'm gonna try and find a game that I can mod in more cameras and go from there.

Minecraft, maybe? Seems like it wouldn't be super difficult to get a simple Java mod going.
Or maybe just create a quick 'n dirty "game" in Unity.

Hmmmmmm...........

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-10 23:41:22

I did a decent refactor of my projectile and weapon system, and it basically worked the first time (I forgot to change a variable's name when I copy pasted a line over). I'm worried that it's horribly broken under the hood.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-11 00:57:35

At 9/10/15 11:41 PM, MSGhero wrote: I did a decent refactor of my projectile and weapon system, and it basically worked the first time (I forgot to change a variable's name when I copy pasted a line over). I'm worried that it's horribly broken under the hood.

I know, I worry about shit that works all the time.
Experience is a harsh teacher.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-11 20:58:53 (edited 2015-09-11 21:07:33)

Got our entire company switched over to git. It took a couple weeks and slowly updating little things at a time, but we're here.
Now I need to figure out how they're going to learn how to use it..

Anyway, it's kinda a cool system. Each person's PC has xampp/wampp installed so they can test things locally. Then each repo has a "dev" branch that gets uploaded to our dev server (which has repos as well). The dev server gets automatically backed up (via git) to another external server at 8 PM every day (our backups have backups). Then we have a "live"/"master" branch that gets uploaded to whatever the live site is. Any changes to both "dev" and "live" are then immediate.
Each repo on the local PC has a dev and live branch which just translates to the master branch upstream.

Now, this isn't true for all repos. In fact, there's only a couple that are like that. Most of them are just straight-up "local master = origin master" on the local computer and dev site. 99% of the time we don't make live changes until we're ready to push a website live (only happens once of course) - but for the occasional odd currently-live website that system works wonderfully.

And now I go back on monday and find out two things:
1. Nobody's using the system
2. The software I installed (xampp and sourcetree) broke everything

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-11 23:14:14

Have you guys been reading anything regarding this "indie games bubble" stuff ? Curious about your thoughts on it. Some of the SteamSpy data is fairly compelling. This article is lengthy, but some most of it up:
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-indie-bubble-revisited-or-are-we.html

Anybody here worried ? I'm not sure how many of you make games full-time (Not me).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-12 17:36:45

Google Domains might be what I'm looking for? I just saw an ad for it, and it's in beta so it prolly just came out. $12/yr and comes with whois hiding and email forwarding.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-12 19:21:30 (edited 2015-09-12 19:22:11)

I guess I should also say that we chose tumblr as a host for now. http://enkiangames.tumblr.com/ and http://enkiangames.tumblr.com/enkiadventures

Edit: oh fuck this is my post #3000. And I can notice that and not have to post #3001 to mention it. Hooray edit button!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-12 19:29:07

At 9/11/15 11:14 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Have you guys been reading anything regarding this "indie games bubble" stuff ? Curious about your thoughts on it. Some of the SteamSpy data is fairly compelling. This article is lengthy, but some most of it up:
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-indie-bubble-revisited-or-are-we.html

Anybody here worried ? I'm not sure how many of you make games full-time (Not me).

its been difficult to make a living making games forever, its just difficult in a different way every year

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 13:23:59

At 9/12/15 07:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 9/11/15 11:14 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Have you guys been reading anything regarding this "indie games bubble" stuff ? Curious about your thoughts on it. Some of the SteamSpy data is fairly compelling. This article is lengthy, but some most of it up:

its been difficult to make a living making games forever, its just difficult in a different way every year

Are you full time making games for a living?

Do you mind sharing how well you do (for example this year and last year) and how many hours you put in (I assume it's 9-6 5 days a week at least?).

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 14:02:09

At 9/12/15 07:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: its been difficult to make a living making games forever, its just difficult in a different way every year

Good point. In fact this difficulty could probably be attributed to trying to make your own way doing almost anything, especially something content-oriented.

Just commenting on the actual data, though. I do think it's interesting in that the supply of games has increased so much over the past 5 years. Steam is more lenient on letting new games into the store. Even unfinished games are acceptable. Couple that with the lower barrier to entry, and a lot of it starts making sense. It's not necessarily a problem that needs solving, but just an observation.

I guess if ever there was a time to try to stand out and take risks - it's probably now. Then again, I imagine a single failure is enough to put most indie developers out of business.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 14:27:19

I think when steams barrier of entry got so out of control it oversaturated it all. Which happens alot . Happend with the mobile scene, happend here with the flash gaming and sponsorship thing. Its a tough world out there. Also I havent posted here in years

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 14:38:18

At 9/13/15 02:27 PM, Luis wrote: I think when steams barrier of entry got so out of control it oversaturated it all. Which happens alot . Happend with the mobile scene, happend here with the flash gaming and sponsorship thing. Its a tough world out there. Also I havent posted here in years

Sup Luis. How ya been sir ? I too haven't been the most active poster here lately.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 15:11:52

At 9/13/15 02:02 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Just commenting on the actual data, though. I do think it's interesting in that the supply of games has increased so much over the past 5 years. Steam is more lenient on letting new games into the store. Even unfinished games are acceptable. Couple that with the lower barrier to entry, and a lot of it starts making sense. It's not necessarily a problem that needs solving, but just an observation.

The difficult part just changed from "get steam to accept your game" to "get people to care about your game".

Neither is easier than the other. When steam was closed you had to travel a lot, enter contests, network, etc to even get the right contact at steam to pitch your game to, and then they could just say "no" for whatever reason they wanted.

Now steam accepts pretty much everyone so the difficulty now is getting people to care. So its still like, the same amount of difficulty, just in a completely different way.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 15:23:42

At 9/13/15 01:23 PM, Rustygames wrote: Are you full time making games for a living?

Do you mind sharing how well you do (for example this year and last year) and how many hours you put in (I assume it's 9-6 5 days a week at least?).

Yeah I mean Closure+The Basement Collection did well enough to pay for themselves, Bombernauts, and probably 1 more game. Bombernauts hasn't even broken even yet.

On average I probably work about as much as a regular full time job, probably a bit more, but it comes and goes in waves, sometimes I'll get burnt out and spend a month doing pretty much nothing, sometimes I'll work 10 hours a day every day no breaks (right now I'm in a 10 hours a day phase, 5 hours on bombernauts then switch over 5 hours on... a secret thing, but less on weekends)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-13 16:53:02

Sup Luis. How ya been sir ? I too haven't been the most active poster here lately.

I'm good, i still snoop in now and again. Havent been in the flash scene in a year now so i kinda faded out. Been reading alot of articles about this indie bubble stuff so its always interested me. Not so much from an active participant but as a spectator where i know alot of friends are actively in the thick of it.

I think Glaiel probably hit it right on the head in terms of it being difficult, and just a new kind of difficult every time. It is rather nuts how much the indie sections at places like Pax have grown. On the one hand its great, because fresh talent, but on the other it becomes really hard to get someone to give you a chance when theres 100+ other games calling out for you. And those conventions are so expensive to be part of that its tough to gauge how much they will help you.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-14 00:08:53 (edited 2015-09-14 00:11:11)

At 9/12/15 05:36 PM, MSGhero wrote: Google Domains might be what I'm looking for? I just saw an ad for it, and it's in beta so it prolly just came out. $12/yr and comes with whois hiding and email forwarding.

We were looking into that at my work. Since I'll be dealing with all of that when we switch I'll let you know if we do and how it goes.

At 9/13/15 02:27 PM, Luis wrote: I think when steams barrier of entry got so out of control it oversaturated it all. Which happens alot . Happend with the mobile scene, happend here with the flash gaming and sponsorship thing. Its a tough world out there. Also I havent posted here in years

Don't say that, because I actually remember your last post. Please don't tell me it's really been years D:
Edit: Oh whew it hasn't been years. I was genuinely worried.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-14 01:28:24

At 9/14/15 12:08 AM, egg82 wrote: Don't say that, because I actually remember your last post. Please don't tell me it's really been years D:
Edit: Oh whew it hasn't been years. I was genuinely worried.

The years fly by when you're in the reg retirement home. That's the last thing I remember Luis saying.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2015-09-15 02:41:59 (edited 2015-09-15 02:42:26)

I'm still not 100% sure if I should have done this.
I mean, if people know about it and it's easy enough to get rid of, it can't hurt right?

The reason I added it in in the first place is because it helps ship games with tighter RAM/CPU constraints when you're working around a handicap, and though I don't think it really applies to Flash I figure why not add something like that in as an option? Remove it when you're ready to release and everything will run like hot butter.

Or everybody will hate me. That's possible, too.

BBS Signature