00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,133 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-09 21:04:23

At 12/9/14 07:47 PM, MSGhero wrote: I had 3 finals today and my brain is so wrecked right now.

I remember when I had finals.
Now I stand at a kiosk and watch YouTube all day. Occasionally get a customer or an angry phone call from a customer.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 00:09:56

At 12/9/14 09:04 PM, egg82 wrote: Now I stand at a kiosk and watch YouTube all day. Occasionally get a customer or an angry phone call from a customer.

I once did customer support at my previous job (even though I was just the web developer; we were short-handed that day) and one of the people viewing the webcast we setup for a client, which was a webcast presented by doctors for other doctors, complained to me that they were using "complicated doctor speak" and that he couldn't make any sense of it. I politely explained we only setup the cameras and website for the webcast to run and had nothing to do with the content being presented. His response was "Whatever. We're done." and left the support-chat.

Me and my coworker got a pretty good laugh from that one.

Too bad I didn't get to speak to him on the phone. Hearing him be super pissed off about something so petty would have bene great.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 02:41:50 (edited 2014-12-10 02:43:33)

If you use openfl and want menus and UI, omg use http://haxeui.org/. It's not fully documented yet, but you specify the UI layout in an xml file. The cool part is that if you're compiling to a cpp target, you have access to live file reloading. Tweak the xml, recompile the assets with a batch command, stick in an event listener to reload the layout, boom. It only recompiles the assets, not the game, so it's pretty fast.

In jugg1 and 2, I recompiled idk how many times moving buttons around a couple px back and forth, changing layouts slightly once every 20-30 seconds. This blows my mind.

The input text fields in cpp suck, though, so actual testing is best done in flash where copy/cut/paste/select all are supported already.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 10:15:33

At 12/10/14 02:41 AM, MSGhero wrote: If you use openfl and want menus and UI, omg use http://haxeui.org/. It's not fully documented yet, but you specify the UI layout in an xml file. The cool part is that if you're compiling to a cpp target, you have access to live file reloading. Tweak the xml, recompile the assets with a batch command, stick in an event listener to reload the layout, boom. It only recompiles the assets, not the game, so it's pretty fast.

How'd you manage to find this and mess around with it during finals week? :P

Installed (love installing with just a simple command line). This looks cool. Definitely would've help me before I made my sequence designer... Wish I knew about before. Thanks for sharing.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 10:57:23

http://blog.bioware.com/2014/12/09/dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2-notes/

"Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender"
Yeah, I was tired of people calling me a "her"

"[PC] Hair should be less shiny on lower quality settings."
Oh, thank fuck. lol. I was worried my character hadn't bathed in years.

Thoughts on DA:I for anyone that's played it?
So far I've been playing it through the (way too-often) repeated crashes and blue screens it's been giving me and even updated to beta drivers for it. Since I wouldn't do that for any game, that's about as good of an endorsement as it can get.
A tip I read that set me on the right path for it was to move out of the Hinterlands at some point. As the article put it, "you're the fucking Inquisitor, you don't need to find some farmer's lost druffallo." (which was a giant pain in the ass quest, by the way, since the damned thing refuses to go anywhere but through a level 12 rift)

Aside from the frequent bugs and crashes, it's an absolutely fantastic game with a ton of lore in it. Great for me, since I've been a giant lore nerd for the game since I played the original.

Spolier:

I always wondered what the black city looked like up-close. Mind = blown

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 11:47:57

At 12/10/14 10:15 AM, swishcheese wrote: How'd you manage to find this and mess around with it during finals week? :P

Installed (love installing with just a simple command line). This looks cool. Definitely would've help me before I made my sequence designer... Wish I knew about before. Thanks for sharing.

I made it a couple weeks ago but played around with it last night.

"This would look better centered" -> horizontalAlign=center -> run batch -> centered
"It needs to be wider" -> width=90% -> run batch -> "hmm a bit wider" -> width=93% -> run batch -> "perfect"
Maybe took 20 seconds.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 12:12:19

At 12/10/14 11:47 AM, MSGhero wrote: "This would look better centered" -> horizontalAlign=center -> run batch -> centered
"It needs to be wider" -> width=90% -> run batch -> "hmm a bit wider" -> width=93% -> run batch -> "perfect"
Maybe took 20 seconds.

Damn nice. Better than.... It needs to be more to the right. Search through code find x position. Increase X position by 50. recompile.... It needs a little more to the right. Increase X position by 25. recompile. Damnit... to far. Decrease X position by 10. recompile. Total time: minute and a half.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 13:34:23

At 12/10/14 01:03 PM, CodeCrunch wrote: Not to be a negative nancy (it does look neat) but have you guys considered planning your layouts more rather than trying to remedy the effects of doing things on the fly?

Even with planning things out, ideas/plans always change. It is good to have tools that can make changes quickly. I'm more of a programmer than a designer so I do not take as much care into making UI until towards the end of a project. It is not so much remedying the effects of doing things on the fly. Its that, this process IS the planning of the design which involves making changes in code. If by planning more you mean on paper, then that will take twice as long since you'll then have to recreate it on the computer. In addition, If working on a team and there like let me see what you got for the menu, and you just show them a drawing you did of a layout, there going to be like... what.... all you have is a drawing? (that is if you are the programmer, not a designer)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 14:47:45

At 12/10/14 01:03 PM, CodeCrunch wrote: Not to be a negative nancy (it does look neat) but have you guys considered planning your layouts more rather than trying to remedy the effects of doing things on the fly?

Designers SHOULD have this covered, though sometimes they're drunk and you have to manually fix small things. The thing I'm working on is a GUI editor for dialogue in games, and I'm playing around with how I want it to look in the end.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-10 22:17:32

I AM the designer in most cases. And I'm a terrible designer. Which means I need to constantly re-work things until they look halfway-decent.
Meh, it works.

Apparently my girlfriend saw a doctor today and found out she needs to eat way healthier because her cholesterol is through the roof. This means I get to eat way healthier.

Farewell, Hot Pockets. I knew ye well :'(

#firstworldproblems

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 11:07:26

At 12/10/14 10:17 PM, egg82 wrote: Apparently my girlfriend saw a doctor today and found out she needs to eat way healthier because her cholesterol is through the roof. This means I get to eat way healthier.

I remember when I transitioned from regularly eating garbage food to eating mostly fruits, vegetables and whole grains (and like two litres of milk every day because I love milk). Breaking the habit of shoveling salty and/or high processed prepackaged foods was tricky at first but I'm now at the point that I could never go back to eating that way; if I were to try I would feel sick and have gut-rot the next day, which isn't surprising given how lacking in essential nutrients most unhealthy foods are.

But I still eat more food than any person I know (3200-3500 calories daily). Yeah, I eat like a horse. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

Once you eat in a way that gives you all of your essential vitamins and minerals, as well as the required amount of protein/fats/carbohydrates (you should be getting at least 100g/30g/50g of each, respectively, and more if you regularly exercise), your body will reward you by making you feel like a million bucks.

And if anyone tells you not to eat fats or carbs: tell them to blow it out their ass because they don't know what they're talking about. I've seen countless people claim that eating fats and/or carbs makes you fat, which doesn't make sense. To hammer the point home: I eat over 80g of fat and 400g of carbs every single day and I am not even remotely close to fat (I'm 5'6"/142lb/15-17% body-fat). The only thing that makes people fat is over-eating; the human body cannot defy the laws of thermodynamics; body-fat is nothing but stored energy and that energy has to come from somewhere (which would be food). Also, don't take nutrition advice from doctors (i.e. general practitioners); they're notoriously uneducated when it comes to nutrition. And especially don't take advice from a nutritionist because they know even less than GPs (any random asshole can call themself a nutritionist; it's not a protected title like 'doctor' or 'lawyer'). If you must seek out nutrition advice then see a registered dietician; accept no substitutes ('registered dietician' is a protected title).

Lyle McDonald is hands down the most knowledgeable person on the Internet when it comes to nutrition, and I owe a significant amount of what I know to him. He's a colossal douchebag but he knows his shit when it comes to nutrition. Couldn't hurt to read his articles if you and your girlfriend are looking to improve your diets; it could easily clear up any myths you may have been tricked into beleiving, such as the following myths: starvation mode exists, stoking the metabolic fire is important/exists, sugar is inherently unhealthy, fats/carbs make you fat, people can be genetically fat, eggs raise cholesterol, egg yolks are unhealthy, red meat gives you cancer, sodium is the devil's plaything, asptertame gives you cancer, or that gluten is horrible for you. Not a single one of those is true, yet many people still believe that they are.

Anyway, you might have already known some or all of that but you brought up a topic that I care a lot about so I couldn't resist. :)

P.S.
Talking about food made me hungry so I'm going to go make a big gut-buster of a meal.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 12:01:16

diki said things, quoting on phone is hard

And MSG isn't bad for you!!!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 17:30:29

At 12/13/14 11:07 AM, Diki wrote: fats/carbs make you fat, people can be genetically fat, eggs raise cholesterol, egg yolks are unhealthy, red meat gives you cancer

These drive me insane holy shit.

At 12/13/14 12:01 PM, MSGhero wrote:
diki said things, quoting on phone is hard

So when's the NG BBS app coming?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 17:57:35

At 12/13/14 05:30 PM, Sam wrote: So when's the NG BBS app coming?

Ask Tom. "Work in progress."

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 18:21:47

Also @Diki my mental image of you was Bruce Campbell, so the 5 foot 6 kinda ruined that.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-13 18:24:37

At 12/13/14 05:57 PM, MSGhero wrote: Ask Tom. "Work in progress."

I suppose if a redesign is coming they'd want the same styles across the different platforms so it could be waiting on that.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-14 03:07:22 (edited 2014-12-14 03:10:11)

Read all of Diki's post. I don't really have anything to comment on it, though, so yeah.
Just figured I'd let you know I'm not ignoring you :)

anyway, this.
Edit: And this.

I go back and read the xkcd stuff I missed every so often. Only at 1 AM, though, apparently.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-14 03:46:08 (edited 2014-12-14 03:46:26)

At 12/13/14 05:30 PM, Sam wrote: So when's the NG BBS app coming?

I'm working on the next best thing: a Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey script to enhance the BBS with many new features, such as, but certainly not limited to, a post preview, the ability to hide some or all signatures, and customisation of the BBS layout. And even some tools for us mods.

It's in an alpha stage right now so I won't be posting it but I should have something released by early-January (unless I step on a landmine or get hit by a herd of rampaging elephants).

I am also open to any suggestions. :)

At 12/13/14 06:21 PM, MSGhero wrote: Also @Diki my mental image of you was Bruce Campbell, so the 5 foot 6 kinda ruined that.

You can think of me as one of the small evil Ash clones. But it's still my mother's fault: everyone on her side of the family is quite short (my grandfather was like 5'4").

At least I don't have to worry about bumping my head into shit or people asking me to grab things from high up.

At 12/14/14 03:07 AM, egg82 wrote: Read all of Diki's post. I don't really have anything to comment on it, though, so yeah.
Just figured I'd let you know I'm not ignoring you :)

S'all good. Eat those veggies and stay healthy, brother.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-14 03:54:49 (edited 2014-12-14 03:55:27)

At 12/14/14 03:46 AM, Diki wrote: At least I don't have to worry about bumping my head into shit or people asking me to grab things from high up.

6'1"
I used to live in a place with a low ceiling down a flight of stairs. I also used to like jumping down stairs.

Ow.

I work in phones and tablets and things, and something I heard a couple days ago that made me very upset was this:
A laptop-tablet with a (not detachable) keyboard that can run an unprecedented four apps at the same time!

Congratu-fucking-lations, you created a shitty laptop.
Seriously, though. What the hell happened that it's amazing for a laptop-tablet thing to run four programs at once? When did we take this weird step backward nobody mentioned that we could only have one running? And why is this all of a sudden a huge selling point?

Whatever, I'll take my way-overpowered PC and laptop elsewhere, I can see we're not welcome here in this new age of "smart" things.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-14 04:20:54

I once ran four applications on a computer and someone ended up calling the fire department because of all the smoke and fire bellowing out of the machine. Never run four apps!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 00:38:12 (edited 2014-12-15 00:38:23)

At 12/14/14 04:20 AM, Diki wrote: I once ran four applications on a computer and someone ended up calling the fire department because of all the smoke and fire bellowing out of the machine. Never run four apps!

http://media.giphy.com/media/CNhA74HXGqFOg/giphy.gif

Decided to "roll my own" key exchange/handshake for my AIR game. Wish me luck!
I think I'll just go the Diffie-Hellman route, seems pretty simple and I really don't need anything terribly complex.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 01:27:12

At 12/14/14 04:20 AM, Diki wrote: I once ran four applications on a computer and someone ended up calling the fire department because of all the smoke and fire bellowing out of the machine. Never run four apps!

This reminds me of a computer aptitude test I took in 9th grade. One question was "How many windows maximum can Windows 95 run at the same time?" This was 7 years ago. I still don't know what the answer is, mainly because it's impossible to search "windows" without meaning "Windows" in the tech world. The class was about not Win 95 btw.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 01:59:04

At 12/15/14 01:27 AM, MSGhero wrote: This was 7 years ago. I still don't know what the answer is

The answer was 95.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 02:27:35

What a rabbit hole I've gone down.

The Diffie-Hellman key exchange requires a large prime number (which is easy with a Sieve of Atkin) and a primitive root mod prime number which is difficult to guess but can be gained through guessing of random numbers.

The problem is checking this primitive root requires some seriously complicated number theory and everyone's using terminology I either completely don't understand or barely understand.

Thankfully the math after this is fairly simple so that's nice. But yeah. How the fuck do I translate all this math speak into code?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 02:33:44

At 12/15/14 02:27 AM, egg82 wrote: Thankfully the math after this is fairly simple so that's nice.
How the fuck do I translate all this math speak into code?

Apparently fairly simply.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 03:10:07 (edited 2014-12-15 03:24:19)

At 12/15/14 02:33 AM, Sam wrote: Apparently fairly simply.

I said AFTER this :P

Anyway, I got it. Don't ask how, just go with it. I barely know how it all works.

var p:uint = RegMath.normalizedSieve[Util.betterRoundedRandom(0, RegMath.normalizedSieve.length)];
var g:uint = AtkinSieve.getRandomPrimitiveRoot(p);
var a:uint = Util.betterRoundedRandom(0, g);
var b:uint = Util.betterRoundedRandom(0, g);
var aa:uint = (g ^ a) % p;
var bb:uint = (g ^ b) % p;

trace(p + " - " + g + " - " + a + " - " + b);
trace(aa);
trace(bb);
trace((bb ^ a) % p);
trace((aa ^ b) % p);

output:
203857 - 177211 - 3907 - 5192

sauce: http://pastebin.com/CL3wFBqQ

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 04:23:16

At 12/15/14 03:10 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 12/15/14 02:33 AM, Sam wrote: Apparently fairly simply.
I said AFTER this :P

I had to write a functional programming implementation of the original sieve algorithm in my second year, might try atkin's sieve.

egg82.objects.Util;

Where's your GitHub? I want to download this Util package ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 10:31:33

At 12/15/14 04:23 AM, Sam wrote: I had to write a functional programming implementation of the original sieve algorithm in my second year, might try atkin's sieve.

It's fast. I ripped that code right from wikipedia anyway.

Where's your GitHub? I want to download this Util package ;)

Hah. Oh, god, that class is such a mess. I just dumped a bunch of useful functions in there and called it good. It's not quite finished, even.
Here's the file

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 10:53:56

At 12/15/14 10:31 AM, egg82 wrote: Hah. Oh, god, that class is such a mess. I just dumped a bunch of useful functions in there and called it good. It's not quite finished, even.
Here's the file

Why did you make timedFunction() when setTimeout() already exists?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-12-15 11:24:08

At 12/15/14 10:53 AM, Diki wrote: Why did you make timedFunction() when setTimeout() already exists?

Because I had no idea that existed. Well, the more you know!

BBS Signature