00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,881,609 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 01:16:38

Maybe that's evil, but I had to post it...

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 02:19:59

At 1/29/14 11:18 PM, egg82 wrote:
You used Objective-C and you're saying C# was the brainfuck out of all of that?

What's so hard about:

// header
@interface ... : UIView <RandomDelegate>@end
// implementation
object.delegate = self;
- (void) randomDelegate {
}

C# is a brainfsck because of how it handles multiple delegates, I mean look at this, there's no logical reason to do this when you can just have an Add and Remove function:

TapDoubleTapMultiDel= TapDel+ DoubleTapDel;

When I first saw this:
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/26/2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

I meant developing part of an application, switching to another language, then developing some of that application...
"private var _loader:URLLoader- no, wait. private HttpWebRequest request- no, damnit..."

It's not really that to be honest, AS3 is just a really high level language. You can literally read a file on the HDD or from the net in a couple of lines and one callback. With Java, C# and Objective-C you're bound to use some multithreaded approach that splits GUI and background tasks for example.

I took a harder hit, I used to switch between C (Yea, not C++, C) and Objective-C each day. I was studying both at the same time... Both languages are completely opposite. One is built on MVC OOP, and the other has no classes. One has a helluva IDE (Xcode), and the other, well, CodeBlocks compared to Xcode is nothing.

Objective-C is a subset of C99, meaning you can work entirely in C for your app/program if you wanted to and nothing's stopping you (in terms of UI you're stuck with UIKit and Cocoa so that's the only drawback). I have an iOS app I'm building that works directly on the protected blocks of memory and majority of it is written in C (minus UI) - jailbreak only or Apple would put me on a uberban list for vm_write calls not that they would work on non-jb devices.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 03:07:23

At 1/30/14 02:19 AM, slugrail wrote: Objective-C is a subset of C99, meaning you can work entirely in C for your app/program if you wanted to and nothing's stopping you (in terms of UI you're stuck with UIKit and Cocoa so that's the only drawback). I have an iOS app I'm building that works directly on the protected blocks of memory and majority of it is written in C (minus UI) - jailbreak only or Apple would put me on a uberban list for vm_write calls not that they would work on non-jb devices.

At that time I had to avoid "entirely in C" in my app because I had to learn how to use Objective-C's OOP. The syntax itself isn't hard, but the concept and understanding of how everything works takes much time before you can finally absorb it.

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 15:05:01

Um.. guys?
Completely random thing here again:
I think I ran into a problem with matrices and transformation in JSFL.
I think that b and c members are messed up.

When I rotate an object 45 degrees clockwise (which means rotation by a positive angle in Flash, since y axis is looking down) it traces that

a=cosA
b=sinA
c=-sinA
d=cosA
//not literally, of course, I determined this via experiment

But this is wrong! This is mathematically incorrect! A matrix looks like

(a b)
(c d)

And if I multiply it by point I get

(a b)*(x)=(cosA*x + sinA*y)
(c d)*(y)=(-sinA*x + cosA*y)

But this contradicts the famous formula for rotation of a point (x,y) by angle B

x'=x*cosB - y*sinB;

y'=y*cosB + x*sinB;

Because the matrix in JSFL would mean that a point would get rotated by the opposite angle (-45).

Onwards, I try to paste selected stuff inside a transformed (scaled/skewed) symbol, and then transform it so that it stays the same outside the symbol. To do that I transform the pasted stuff by a reversed matrix of the symbol and move using projection of the stuff's top left corner outside the symbol (multiplying the reversed matrix by the position of top left corner).
But in every test I get rotation of stuff in opposite angle
Replacing

doc.transformSelection(matrix.a,matrix.b,matrix.c,matrix.d);

with

doc.transformSelection(matrix.a,matrix.c,matrix.b,matrix.d);

solved the issue and everything worked perfectly fine (even surprised me).

I'd like to know who is being weird: my math, Flash's math or doc.transformSelection in particular (it has messed up b and c members, maybe)?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 15:36:44

At 1/30/14 03:33 AM, PSvils wrote: BTW, http://justgetflux.com/

It's a great little program if you use your computer after-dark for things that don't relate to entertainment, but for me most of the time it just interferes with game recordings.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 16:00:48

At 1/30/14 03:05 PM, kkots wrote: I think I ran into a problem with matrices and transformation in JSFL.

Problem solved. It turns out Flash has flipped matrices, i.e.

(a c)
(b d)

And they refer to coordinates of elements by (j;i) and those coordinates start from 0 in documentation.
I was taught in school that matrices are written

(a b)
(c d)

and coordinates of elements are (i;j) (i is vertical, j is horizontal) and start from 1.
EVERYTHING IS FREAKING TOPSY-TURVY IN THIS DUMB JSFL.

Also, I found out more bugs in JSFL:
1) You cannot determine that a shape is indeed a group until you select it and obtain it from doc.selection (which will yield you a completely different object which does not really exist), and that object will have isGroup display proper value.
2) If you use library.addItemToDocument it will override the clipboard with the symbol being added, meaning if you had cut or copied anything, it will be overriden by the symbol. This is just dumb and causes inconveniences.
3) If you change symbolType of a SymbolInstance, it will get removed from stage and get replaced by a completely different object which is put on the same spot as the old one. If you refer to the old symbol after changing its type (to, say, Movie Clip, or Button or Graphic) it will be all useless because that symbol is removed. New symbol can be obtained from the doc.selection of course which eases the problem.

Well, I think those are all the bugs. They are probably caused by lazy coding of JSFL interpreter engine, and all these problems are very silly and difficult to figure out on your own, lol.
And now flipped matrices is the new problem.

So do you guys write matrices in form

(a b)
(c d)

And get

(a b)*(x)=(a*x+b*y)
(c d)*(y)=(c*x+d*y)

or we do it like this only in Russia, and Flash is actually doing it correctly?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 17:01:15

At 1/30/14 03:33 AM, PSvils wrote:
At 1/28/14 08:46 PM, TheNavigat wrote: Here's another completely random thing. Coding at 3:40 AM (7 minutes ago), in absolute darkness. It's damn awesome.
BTW, http://justgetflux.com/ I've used it for quite some time now, and I'm used to the way the glow changes. It's muuuch easier on the eyes.

And Haxe really isn't hard:
http://www.openfl.org/developer/documentation/actionscript-developers/
And if you're targeting Flash, you can still use any as3 .swc/.swf libraries.

Flux is of completely no use for me here. The brightness adjusting buttons (since I'm using a laptop) are good enough. Thanks, though :)

And I'm more of a webdev right now than a gamedev, so I don't believe I'm interested in Haxe ._. But I'll check it out sooner or later! :)

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 17:05:36

At 1/30/14 04:00 PM, kkots wrote: (a b)*(x)=(a*x+b*y)
(c d)*(y)=(c*x+d*y)

or we do it like this only in Russia, and Flash is actually doing it correctly?

It might have something to do with positive y going downwards. Maybe it's easier or makes more sense for the b and c to be swapped.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 17:12:33

At 1/30/14 05:05 PM, MSGhero wrote: It might have something to do with positive y going downwards. Maybe it's easier or makes more sense for the b and c to be swapped.

Nope, because the y axis on the monitor screen is going downwards too, by all standards. Not sure why they decided to flip b and c.
And in Flash Player the matrix is flipped too, just tested.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 18:40:31

Did anyone notice this? The new sound icon in Chrome?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 18:53:54

At 1/30/14 06:40 PM, TheNavigat wrote: Did anyone notice this? The new sound icon in Chrome?

Go back like four or five pages :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 20:10:50

Shop menu. The "Sell All" button sets the number to the right to however many you have in your inventory. But "Sell All" might get confused with "Sell everything in my inventory." Any ideas on what I can change that to to make it less confusing?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 20:17:34

At 1/30/14 08:10 PM, MSGhero wrote: Any ideas on what I can change that to to make it less confusing?

Sell All Potions, maybe?

At 1/30/14 06:53 PM, egg82 wrote: Go back like four or five pages :P

Couldn't find anything :(

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 20:36:47

At 1/30/14 08:10 PM, MSGhero wrote: Any ideas on what I can change that to to make it less confusing?

Select All?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 20:49:57

At 1/30/14 08:36 PM, Diki wrote:
Select All?

Aha...

I would do Sell all Pots but there isn't enough space for the names.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-30 21:19:57

At 1/30/14 08:49 PM, MSGhero wrote: I would do Sell all Pots but there isn't enough space for the names.

Sell stack
Sell selected stack

eh.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-31 09:06:52

At 1/30/14 03:33 AM, PSvils wrote: BTW, http://justgetflux.com/ I've used it for quite some time now, and I'm used to the way the glow changes. It's muuuch easier on the eyes.

Really like this. Eases my eyes a lot when it's dark.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-01-31 09:22:04

At 1/31/14 09:06 AM, Sam wrote:
At 1/30/14 03:33 AM, PSvils wrote: BTW, http://justgetflux.com/ I've used it for quite some time now, and I'm used to the way the glow changes. It's muuuch easier on the eyes.
Really like this. Eases my eyes a lot when it's dark.

I found out about them because flux showed up as a new jailbreak tweak in cydia one day. I still don't see it in the App Store so it was pretty lucky that I found it.

wow phone way to capitalize App Store

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-01 01:31:35

"Eat this one weird thing and never diet again"
*a picture of some random weird-looking thing in someone's hand*

In other news MSGHero reminded me that Valve is tracking my every move when it comes to doing anything on Steam.
I've been playing around with Source Filmmaker because it looked like a fun little waste of time. I know enough about it now where I might actually make something useful at some point when I'm not bored of it any more.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-01 12:32:06

At 1/28/14 05:54 PM, kkots wrote:
At 1/28/14 05:47 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 1/28/14 05:25 PM, kkots wrote: I started programming JSFL commands for Flash
So for example we had one for translations; the designer just clicked a text field and clicked "Make multilingual" and it would automatically wrap it in a clip with the right class linkage, create a second frame with an alternate text component (a third party requirement)
So you were using a server (maybe third party) to translate text at run-time?

And did you create Flash extensions (packs of commands, xml and other files that are redistributable via Extension Manager), or you were just writing .jsfl commands and using and distributing them directly via Command-->Run?

I believe we just ran them from the command menu manually. Although I do recall a couple of bits being distributed via an extension, but I can't remember exactly what or why

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-01 14:04:32

At 2/1/14 12:32 PM, Rustygames wrote: I believe we just ran them from the command menu manually. Although I do recall a couple of bits being distributed via an extension, but I can't remember exactly what or why

Aw, that's disappointing. I've written too many commands and now I started caring about sharing them. But that's not a problem, because I can just search it. Search it cold-heartedly, without passion, away from this community, alone *dramatically turns around and walks away*

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 03:01:17

In case you were dying to know how I'm handling game flow in the Juggernaut RPG, I just saved your life.

it's 3am right now I'm sorry

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 03:35:47

At 2/2/14 03:01 AM, MSGhero wrote: In case you were dying to know how I'm handling game flow in the Juggernaut RPG, I just saved your life.
it's 3am right now I'm sorry

1:00 AM my time. I'm getting pretty tired, edited videos and did work on the C# CJ deployer today.
That that any of you will actually use the deployer, it's just for Xelu to use when uploading new builds. He likes having big buttons he can just push and sit back while the computer does the work, and I don't blame him :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 03:38:47

in other news, I'm a FREAKING IDIOT and permanently deleted a class from the project that I actually needed, now I get to re-write the damned thing.

Don't code at 1 AM :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 09:29:10

At 2/2/14 03:38 AM, egg82 wrote: in other news, I'm a FREAKING IDIOT and permanently deleted a class from the project that I actually needed, now I get to re-write the damned thing.

Source control for the win..

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 10:29:07

At 2/2/14 03:38 AM, egg82 wrote: in other news, I'm a FREAKING IDIOT and permanently deleted a class from the project that I actually needed, now I get to re-write the damned thing.

I get creative after 12am. Dropbox + synctoy = amazing.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 10:37:28

At 2/2/14 09:29 AM, Sandremss128 wrote:

Source control for the win..

Pretty much. That's one of the reasons for why version control exists.

At 2/2/14 10:03 AM, PSvils wrote:
At 2/2/14 09:56 AM, Innermike wrote: I have an automator script run once a day that copies my project to the drop box folder and google drive and adds the date as a suffix.
Isn't it really easier to just use git?

Yes. Much, much easier. It's also more reliable.

Use git, you guys (and don't reinvent the wheel). Problem(s) solved.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 12:47:46

At 2/2/14 12:36 PM, Innermike wrote: elitism

The second time in my life I see the word "elitism" used in a dialog and the second time I fail to understand how is it relevant and what it is.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 13:34:34

At 2/2/14 12:36 PM, Innermike wrote: Except it's not and don't like anything about it so pls cool it with the elitism bruh.

If you want to do something the wrong way then go for it, but you're never going to get anywhere by actively avoiding version control because "you don't like it". You can call it "elitism" all you want, but the fact remains that to get anywhere as a developer you need to learn how things are done in the industry and why they're done that way.

Even if you don't want to get anywhere as a developer, and only develop things as a hobby, you're still setting yourself up for a headache when you end up needing to to merge old and current code, or having a person other than yourself working on your code, which is two of the things version control exists to simplify.

If you know for an absolute, beyond a shadow of a doubt fact that you will never need to merge old code or bring in more people to work on your project(s) then your ad hoc script will probably be fine, but you still have nothing to gain by not using version control.

Long story short: there's a reason that companies like Google, Valve, Mozilla, Crytek, Microsoft, Apple, and Ubisoft all use version control, as well as indie developers such as the people who made the games Limbo, Braid and Fez.

At 2/2/14 12:47 PM, kkots wrote: The second time in my life I see the word "elitism" used in a dialog and the second time I fail to understand how is it relevant and what it is.

He's saying that I'm being arrogant by telling him to use git because it's a simpler and more reliable system than him reinventing the wheel.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-02-02 14:26:34

At 2/2/14 02:15 PM, Innermike wrote: Man you nerds get mad easily.

Sh-shots fired?

pls u guise kiss and make up