00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,881,885 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 17:58:04

my goal was to get front page as well. i eventually achieved it. my new goal is to get better relations with people in the industry so i am able to make a living o_o

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 18:02:26

At 5/1/09 05:44 PM, J1mp wrote: Here is all ive seen so far. Looks shit haha so we will see.

That actually doesn't look too bad. But if you move by putting your finger on the sides of the iTouch/Phone I'm not sure how you are going to shoot.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 18:49:31

okay i might as well share mine.

i have two goals.

1: become a member of the actual staff of Newgrounds. learning web coding right now.

2: become youngest forum mod/mod ever. as my 16th birthday approaches this goal becomes less and less likely, but hey. what're the odds of me becoming a mod anyways?

man my goals are lofty ._.

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 19:31:38

At 5/1/09 06:49 PM, fluffkomix wrote: man my goals are lofty ._.

No your goals are stupid, like the goal of becoming the youngest NG affiliate too.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 19:52:15

At 5/1/09 07:31 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 5/1/09 06:49 PM, fluffkomix wrote: man my goals are lofty ._.
No your goals are stupid, like the goal of becoming the youngest NG affiliate too.

All young people on NG are trying to achieve things so they can gain reputation, but the only person who truly deserves that respect is Delta, for making an impressive tutorial on 3D coding when he was 14. It doesn't really matter if you get frontpaged when you're 11, or get to be the youngest affiliate. What truly matters is that when you're older, you achieve true success. NG is a nice place, but no one's gonna write on your tomb stone "Youngest person to get frontpaged on NG"

Those things don't really matter. Instead, make flashes because you like making them, not because you hope to get something out of it. Make AS: threads if you truly want to help people, not just to get a couple of jerks on the internet to think you're cool. Often times dreams and ambitions can blind you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 19:59:20

At 5/1/09 07:56 PM, yhar wrote:
At 5/1/09 07:52 PM, Luis wrote: I think my next goal is to make a game thats for charity.. like just totally dump all the profits to some cause that will get me into heaven lmao.
citricsquids hat fund.

lol i just deleted my post.

actually id like to travel more. yea thats my goal. fuck charity.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 20:50:44

At 5/1/09 07:59 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/1/09 07:56 PM, yhar wrote:
At 5/1/09 07:52 PM, Luis wrote: I think my next goal is to make a game thats for charity.. like just totally dump all the profits to some cause that will get me into heaven lmao.
citricsquids hat fund.
lol i just deleted my post.

actually id like to travel more. yea thats my goal. fuck charity.

Haha sweet deal, i love travelling so I'm with you on that one :P

So far... i've been to the US, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany and Japan. (And i live in canada). But I don't feel that that's enough XD

Where has everyone here been and what's the best/coolest thing you saw while there?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 22:43:26

At 5/1/09 07:59 PM, Luis wrote: actually id like to travel more. yea thats my goal. fuck charity.

A charity game would be awesome, think of how big it could be - I mean, a good game that gives all it's profit to charity.. the more sites it's on, the more profit it will make, the more popular it will be, the more credit you'll get.. pretty good idea.

I don't really have any goals.. I'd love to be a forum mod, maybe one day .. if Luis ever gets demodded for cybering with people over PM (they're gonna catch you sooner or later) or something. Also I'd like front page and I think if I made a proper game I'd achieve it.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 22:46:00

At 5/1/09 07:52 PM, Toast wrote:
Those things don't really matter. Instead, make flashes because you like making them, not because you hope to get something out of it. Make AS: threads if you truly want to help people, not just to get a couple of jerks on the internet to think you're cool. Often times dreams and ambitions can blind you.

no, i make flashes because i enjoy too. thats why my dream isn't to get front page or anything like that. if i made people laugh, then i'm happy. if i'm proud of my flash and i liked it, i'm happy.

the youngest mod is just a pipe dream, but im not like how i am on the forum because i want to become a mod, just because i think it's rude to be rude. or a flamer. and i find that those people get the least amount of smiles from me :(

i don't try to make anyone think i'm cool. i just want to help and i react too much to helpful advice sometimes like i am now ._.

also i still want to work at newgrounds. i dont care how long that takes.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-01 23:29:19

I wanna go to a Newgrounds meet. When I can finally drink... In 3-6 years...
A front page/award wouldn't be bad either.

Hey yo

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 00:34:21

At 5/1/09 10:43 PM, liaaaam wrote: A charity game would be awesome, think of how big it could be - I mean, a good game that gives all it's profit to charity..

They did that a few years ago with hurricane katrina, where armorgames would donate to charity in your name if they could slap their logo on your game. Like 2 people took advantage of it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 00:49:18

At 5/2/09 12:34 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 5/1/09 10:43 PM, liaaaam wrote: A charity game would be awesome, think of how big it could be - I mean, a good game that gives all it's profit to charity..
They did that a few years ago with hurricane katrina, where armorgames would donate to charity in your name if they could slap their logo on your game. Like 2 people took advantage of it.

well OBVIOUSLY if one charity was made and it got some people active in it, then CLEARLY another charity would work about FIVE THOUSAND times better BECAUSE more people are THERE to take advantage of IT

do the math, guys. it's all there.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 00:51:10

My goal for newgrounds is to eventually become a forum mod. I know it probably won't happen but I can try.

Another goal is to go to a newgrounds meet. From other peoples accounts they sound really fun. Even though I couldn't drink.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 03:54:47

My ng goals are to get a good forum reputation for the right reasons, get a reputation for making good games and to possible be able to use that built up rep for getting employed in the flash industry somewhere. I doubt it'll happen though.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 05:45:33

Why does everyone wanna bea mod so bad?! Ok I can see the attraction of power, but all it really means is youd have to spend more time in general, and you would have a "duty" to come on the forums and do the rounds even if you dont feel like it!

Meh, id much rather get respect and become well known for doing something worthwhile.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 05:48:33

At 5/2/09 05:45 AM, J1mp wrote: Meh, id much rather get respect and become well known for doing something worthwhile.

Mods have power, people like power :). I personally don't have any specific goals except to expand my knowledge in any direction possible, if that gets me some recognition or an award, then that's a bonus.

Anyone remember the game idea thread? That needs resuscitating, I'm always short on ideas :P.

I've also started OOP, if anyone's got any tips, please share em.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 08:35:46

I like this goal discussion :P I'd like to gain the discipline to make smaller games. Every time I realise that I need money to actually stay alive for the next year, I set out to make some short and sweet little thing which either a) turns out badly or more often b) swells into some ridiculous, year long beast of a project.

At the moment I'm still working on the short little one-level platformer which I started over six months ago. I've just integrated the save and achievements feature, a boss-survival mode (it's now got four real bosses) and am around half way through making it. Stupid undisciplined ambitions >.<

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 10:17:35

arggggghhh my main aim at the moment is to start/finish Penguinz 2. Im so excited!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 12:05:42

Mine would have to be;

Practice more art
Start making more music
and release some fuckin games

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 12:14:26

At 5/2/09 12:05 PM, Saza wrote: and release some fuckin games

Yeah, gimme another week and I'll get back on it again.

My goal is tapping Megan Fox, and making a game that is actually fun to play. Working on both as we speak.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 12:39:33

At 5/2/09 12:14 PM, Xeptic wrote:
At 5/2/09 12:05 PM, Saza wrote: and release some fuckin games
Yeah, gimme another week and I'll get back on it again.

My goal is tapping Megan Fox, and making a game that is actually fun to play. Working on both as we speak.

And here i thought you forgot <3 Btw that wasnt aimed at you :P

Macbook Resolution
I really want to get a higher resolution that 1280x800 on my Macbook. I remember seeing a terminal command that would change the "scale" of it and you set it by percentage.

Anyone got any ideas?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 12:41:00

At 5/2/09 05:45 AM, J1mp wrote: Why does everyone wanna bea mod so bad?! Ok I can see the attraction of power, but all it really means is youd have to spend more time in general, and you would have a "duty" to come on the forums and do the rounds even if you dont feel like it!

i dont want to be a mod because of power. in fact i want ANY flash regular to be a mod, any flash forum regular because i've noticed a lot of threads are going by unlocked in the flash forum.

and luis doesn't do anything about it >:(

plus the main reason i wanted to be proclaimed youngest mod is not because i can go around saying 'durp durp im the youngest mod evar' but because if someone young becomes a forum mod, people on the forums would start to stop asking questions about is there an age limit to be a mod and people would realize there isn't an age limit, so because they are attracted to the power of the mod, the might try and act better because they realize anyone can become a mod, not just people over a certain age.

i once heard a mod say that they dont look at age for a mod, they look for maturity, it's just that most ten year olds aren't that mature.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:04:14

It would be really useful if they added a tooltip next to every closing bracket which contains the statement of the opening bracket.

For example, in the following code, making your mouse go over the last bracket would show a tooltip saying "if(potato)"

if(potato){
eat_potato();
}

Sometimes my codes get messy, and I spend too much brain RAM unconciously memorizing the opening bracket statement of each row.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:06:26

At 5/2/09 01:04 PM, Toast wrote: It would be really useful if they added a tooltip next to every closing bracket which contains the statement of the opening bracket.

For example, in the following code, making your mouse go over the last bracket would show a tooltip saying "if(potato)"

if(potato){
eat_potato();
}

Sometimes my codes get messy, and I spend too much brain RAM unconciously memorizing the opening bracket statement of each row.

Thats brilliant, would be so useful. Maybe a third party add on of some kind? (I'm pretty clueless about it). But yeah great idea.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:11:04

At 5/2/09 12:39 PM, Saza wrote: And here i thought you forgot <3 Btw that wasnt aimed at you :P

I haven't. In fact, I can't sleep at night because it keeps haunting me...

Seriously though, sorry for claiming it would be a quick project, I'm a little busier than expected.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:12:43

At 5/2/09 01:11 PM, Xeptic wrote:
At 5/2/09 12:39 PM, Saza wrote: And here i thought you forgot <3 Btw that wasnt aimed at you :P
I haven't. In fact, I can't sleep at night because it keeps haunting me...

Seriously though, sorry for claiming it would be a quick project, I'm a little busier than expected.

Perfectly fine, my Xbox is keeping me company :)

...it also haunts me..

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:16:00

At 5/2/09 01:06 PM, Saza wrote:
At 5/2/09 01:04 PM, Toast wrote: Sometimes my codes get messy, and I spend too much brain RAM unconciously memorizing the opening bracket statement of each row.
Thats brilliant, would be so useful. Maybe a third party add on of some kind? (I'm pretty clueless about it). But yeah great idea.

That would be a great tooltip. I've gotten into the habit of doing things like this (tedius, but saves a ton of time down the road)

//------------------------------------
if(potato)
{
//blah blah
//pretend there's tons of other shit here.
} //#ifpotato (Sometimes used in huge nested if/looped statements if they're getting out of control.
//---------------------------------

I use the following for the start and end of if statements.
//--------------------------------------
----------------------

I use the following for the start and finish of functions
//######################################
##

Really large code blocks sometimes get something like this at the beginning:
################
//########## Short description of stuff ###################
###############

Obviously, I don't do it for everything, only things that seem to be getting cluttered.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:17:11

At 5/2/09 01:16 PM, Johnny wrote: Stuff

Wow... that really mangled the format of my comments. I should have put it in code brackets. Pretend that it's really organized and easy to read.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:18:15

At 5/2/09 01:17 PM, Johnny wrote:
At 5/2/09 01:16 PM, Johnny wrote: Stuff
Wow... that really mangled the format of my comments. I should have put it in code brackets. Pretend that it's really organized and easy to read.

Wow! That was really organised and easy to read!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-05-02 13:21:53

I disagree that statements can be confusing. You're just doing it too procedurally. Indent cleanly and use subroutines.

Try posting some messy code (within 100 lines) which I can't clean up.

BBS Signature