00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,866,794 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 16:59:04

Four
I was hoping to see how many people noticed I hadn't posted for a while, but hey. Special day, since this is the unofficial "I can rant my fucking ass off day because it's a milestone post"

In this case, double milestone. This account, my main and only, is four years old and has exactly (unless someone breaks a taboo) four thousand posts.

And what have I done with my four years on the 'grounds? Actually... not a lot. I'm happy with my whip and refuse to upgrade the thirty exp it'd take to get something less interesting, so I regularily miss doing my five a day. My only three submissions to the portal were not organised on the forums, and the only collab people seem to mention to me over MSN is the one I cut the music for and got a ridiculously prominent spot in the credits for.

I've failed to enter Pico Day three years running (always wanting to pitch a side scrolling platformer where the class goes on a history field trip to Alamogordo, New Mexico and uncover the unholy crypt of the videogame that man was not meant to play, but never quite committing). Same with Madness Day. Same with Hallowe'en and Pirate Day and Ninja Day... hell, even for CLOCK DAY. How can someone fail to submit something for CLOCK DAY? Where things LESS worthy than Almighty B will pass?

I've seen mods leave, forum oldies grow old and vanish. I arrived too late to know of Livecorpse, but from the occasional rumours that surface, it appears Sonx will be this half of the decade's version of him. I've sat through a redesign. I constantly sit through updates. I've seen about two new articles on NG Alphas. I've had friends online either turn into superstars, vanish away from the scene without trace, or refuse to return my calls. I've made enough friends to explode my MSN and AIM buddy lists even more than they were beforehand (ignoring the Moroccans who just shout "CA VA?!" and Nudge me without explaining where the hell they keep getting my addy from).

I was on Page 1 of this thread, confused and befuddled, part of the era of 'new regs', and befuddled and confused by the time page 1000 reared its head and we all posted lolcats. I've had people I know change thier names to ridiculous names that I can't take seriously (looking at Ninjachicken, Dreamworks and Altera here...). I've taken part in two Sketchbook tours and have taken great liberties in not telling Luis to sort out the next one. I've been to two meet ups, and dread the next one because it'll only mean having to make even more friends, which'll stop me being as big a bastard as I currently am on the forum

Oh and I've miraculously gained this yellow aura and the power to ban people for posts that say nothing other than "Use Google", or forget to remove quoted text that tells people how to pirate Flash.

I swear. These forums saps my productivity, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave it. At least for not another four years or another four thousand posts.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:10:40

Amen. And... I think I love you.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:13:08

KaynSlamdyke
Congratulations, i hope i speak for everyone here that you are an awesome regular and it wouldn't be the same with out you.
<3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:22:28

I'm sorry, that post deserved more of a dignified response. I noobulated.

KSD, I don't know if your tone was remorseful, or stoic, but either way around it came off a tad bitter. It is true, it's easier to sit around talking flash, than doing flash. Depending on the crowd you get it's more enjoyable. The first steps of making a flash, like a relationship, are always the best. Fun because it's new, exciting because you feel unrestrained, you feel refreshened. But in the end, like a relationship, you get board and jump onto the next boat.

This is where the forums come in. It works like a rock, it keeps you grounded. Though not focused, you still feel accomplished knowning that your peers are so skilled and they consider you on their level. It's bolstering. But in the end you're no where further than where you began.

This is the story of my 5k, my 5 years. I've never been to any meet-ups, I'm not a mod, so I'm way behind you Kayn, but I see where you're coming from. The forums are the worst distraction because it's so great to be here. Like diet soda, it's a guilt free distraction.

In the end though you have to keep perspective. Yah you're not on par with some of the other artists on here who've made a name for themselves over the internet, but in some areas you're leaps and bounds ahead of them where it counts. Here.

I really feel like these forums are the Mesopotamia of the flash community. It all started here. Nearly all Flash contents that gain popularity began here. Began with sonicmario666 who asked how to make walls, or STARFOXFAN44 who wanted to know where they can download Flash. In a lot of ways, even though some of us don't have a lot to show for our stay, we've played as harbinger to some of the brightest stars over the internet.

So if you were bitter or remorseful for the distraction of NG, keep that in mind. That's what I try to think of when i realize the only flash to my name is Annoying Asteriods :S

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:25:12

Congrats Kayn. You don't know me, and I don't know you but congrats anyway.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:45:04

Congrats Kayn, i know you, you know me and congrats. im gettin close to 2000.

still envy the yellooww

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:45:42

At 6/25/08 04:59 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: Oh and I've miraculously gained this yellow aura and the power to ban people for posts that say nothing other than "Use Google", or forget to remove quoted text that tells people how to pirate Flash.

Well, I was mentioned...

Kayn, even though your not the biggest flasher, and you haven't achieved as much as you should have...You've became a mod, and gained respect from all these people in the Reg Lounge. I'm probably the worst person at flash here, and a couple people respect me (or at least can ignore me enough to not yell at me.) So I feel like I am on the same level as these people. People who regularly get front page, user of the year, affiliates, mods, and everyone better than me. We're like a family of sorts. We all kinda accept each other even though one person may not be as good as another.

Kayn, I wasn't here for all the stuff you were here. But I was here for the redesign, I was here for updates. On '06 account I couldn't even make a flash through the portal! I missed every holiday that year, even though its not as bad as 3 years.

Sometimes I think I'm accomplishing something on Newgrounds, like I almost have a 3.5 BA (I have 3.49 god dammit) but I like look at everyone else and realize how far behind I am. It kinda does make you feel useless, but you know that your somewhere. I'm here in the reg lounge with respect even though I suck at what this whole forum is about. Sometimes I think 'Yay, I might become a mod someday" but then I realize once again, there are at least 15 other people in this thread that could fill the position much better than me.

Of course this is going to stop your productivity, because its a detraction, but I think I'd rather be here wasting my time than somewhere else you know.

Kayn, you've gained a lot of respect from the people here, so you have accomplished something. Like the conversation we were having a couple pages back, your newgrounds popularity and such carries on to real life.

As DeathCon7 said, I'm not sure if you were being bitter about it, or are just stating what you have done...But it sure seemed like it was in a bitter tone.

Kayn, lemme say this one more time, you've accomplished way more than I have or ever will, and you have gained respect from a whole lot of people...

Kayn, we love you

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:51:55

At 6/25/08 05:45 PM, NG-Unit wrote: sappy story about kayn

damn that was deep. i didn't see that coming at all. =P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:53:30

At 6/25/08 05:45 PM, NG-Unit wrote: So I feel like I am on the same level as these people. People who regularly get front page, user of the year, affiliates, mods, and everyone better than me. We're like a family of sorts. We all kinda accept each other even though one person may not be as good as another.

You shouldn't put yourself down like that.

You're as good as every person on this site, regardless of how many 'awards' you have or if you have mod powers, when it all boils down those titles are meaningless and everyone here is just another person.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 17:57:40

Damn man...Is this whole Kayn thing putting everyone in a kinda sad/sappy mood...or just me?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 18:02:30

At 6/25/08 05:53 PM, Gutya wrote: You're as good as every person on this site, regardless of how many 'awards' you have or if you have mod powers, when it all boils down those titles are meaningless and everyone here is just another person.

i agree. i mean no offense to those with the tons of awards or everything, but im just agreeing. everybodys basically equal.

Ng-Unit, im pretty sure its just you. i care about the mods and everything but its just not making me sappy. =P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 18:03:42

At 6/25/08 06:02 PM, Blackfang wrote: i agree. i mean no offense to those with the tons of awards or everything, but im just agreeing. everybodys basically equal.

Well ok then, I'm no body...on the newgrounds flash portal :D

Ng-Unit, im pretty sure its just you. i care about the mods and everything but its just not making me sappy. =P

Hah fine, it was only like that for like 5 minutes, I'm fine now

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:07:05

At 6/25/08 04:26 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams. Preachy but helpful.

Thats the one, cheers!

wow, I found it for 9 pounds too!

Link if anyone else is interested, thats so cheap! Hope the website is reliable!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:11:22

At 6/25/08 07:07 PM, J1mp wrote: Thats the one, cheers!

wow, I found it for 9 pounds too!

Link if anyone else is interested, thats so cheap! Hope the website is reliable!

There, the topic has been changed, I didn't want to break Kayn's topic...

Anyway

Should I Continue On The Reg Lounge Song

Yeah, it was on the last page...Do you guys think I should continue making it? Maybe someone could make a beat for me and we could put it in the flash portal! Heh, I'd probably have to lower my voice in audacity :D...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:18:27

At 6/25/08 06:41 PM, zrb wrote:
Damn man...Is this whole Kayn thing putting everyone in a kinda sad/sappy mood...or just me?
It kind of affected me. It made me realize I haven't really accomplished anything so far. My account has not a single submission. I used to just go around the flash portal and play games knowing that I had the capabilities to make a game. I never knew what forums had to bring until I came across this one. I've seen all those topics where people had problems and I knew the solutions to those same problems. So I started helping out here until I've reached over 1000 posts. I might not have made a flash but I'm still satisfied knowing I actually used my knowledge to help people.

I can understand that. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you... only at a much smaller scale. I finally dinged my 100th Post doing exactly what you said, helping others with problems yet creating nothing of my own. Although my 100th was really just a preachy sermon...

I'll be honest I've been avoiding this thread. I was afraid I would open it only to find a slough of cock/poop jokes and a few wrapped up flame wars. But after reading these last two pages I realize I couldn't be further from the truth. The people who post here are names that I recognize as experienced flash users that I have come to respect and learn from. I am glad I have finally cracked open this thread and I hope I can achieve half a much as those who post in its hallowed gray halls.

Animation - The act, process, or result of imparting life, interest, spirit, motion, or activity.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:27:37

ive been wanting to make a game and put more submissions in the portal, its just that i have no ideas and no coder. believe me if i want to i can accomplish some of my goals =P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:38:03

At 6/25/08 07:27 PM, Blackfang wrote: ive been wanting to make a game and put more submissions in the portal, its just that i have no ideas and no coder. believe me if i want to i can accomplish some of my goals =P

If it's a simple game I could be your coder :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 19:41:29

At 6/25/08 07:38 PM, Wurmy1029 wrote: If it's a simple game I could be your coder :)

i sent you a PM. =D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 20:23:14

New Game

Wurmy and I have decided to make a platformer game with a pretty original storyline. =P The basically story goes like this.

Your a short little mustached man who is hungry and decides to go out to the market. the only thing is, is that the market is closed so you decided to break in. yeah , your that hungry. Anyway, your craving some Pringles, only the thing is that theyre out. You also see guards in the store and wonder. Why? What you futher find out, is that they are guarding Pringles because they happen to be the last on earth, and they dont want anybody else to have them. Theres more to it but i dont want to spoil it.

Anyway, heres the thing we ask you Newgrounds. We dont want to use the name "Pringles", so what do you think we should use? Something that sounds like Pringles. ex. Cringles, Shingles, etc etc. If you have any thing to say about the plot or whatever, do so. =D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 20:45:23

Canned Chips has a nice ring to it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 21:12:18

At 6/25/08 04:26 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 6/25/08 03:26 PM, J1mp wrote: Whats that animation book everyone always recommends?
Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams. Preachy but helpful.

That book is godly!

So i'm here on and off really, not enough for anybody here to know me. I was once popular somewhat on the portal though, Kingdom Hearts Chronicles yay!
(i just know everyones reading this going "whats that...?"
Anyways.. now that it's summer i'm going to try to visit often-er... =D

Exile: Chapter 3 30% done, and i've started working on a game with a certain someone else, the story is turning out well, and we are both REALLY excited. I don't want to rant about it though because, well at the moment theres not really any point... I think we'll release a trailer alongside the 3rd Chapter of my flash series though =D

Peace out poptartz
-Duchednier

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 21:52:45

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 22:00:07

hmm what a bizarre twist. ^

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 22:03:51

Hai guys :'(
Sorry 'bout my whole going crazy shit, it was just a stupid fight I got in and I was down because of all the crap that had ruined that day for me, so I decided to go away from the forums temp- and now I'm back for...one day...

Australia
I'm going there to scuba dive, but I have about 40 hours worth of flying, plus 10 of layovers, so I'm kind of screwed for the next few days, along with the time difference. I'll have nothing to do on most of the plane rides too, so fuck me, I'm reading Jane Eyre for school [700 pages of shit]. I'll try and work on my and nate's game, plus draw, PLUS sleep :) . I'm going to bring back a bunch of awesome photos though, promise, and I'll probably just make a thread about it when I'm back [Art Forum]

..HERES TO STAYING UP TILL 1 PM TOMORROW! [15 hours from now]...I'll probably just post, so make lots of threads now!

Anyways, <3 to all of you.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 22:13:31

YAY AUSTRALIA!!! I'm actually going to switzerland for 6 weeks this summer. *is excited*

GO JET LAG! *flails arms around*

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 22:17:34

At 6/25/08 10:13 PM, Duchednier wrote: YAY AUSTRALIA!!! I'm actually going to switzerland for 6 weeks this summer. *is excited*

GO JET LAG! *flails arms around*

you all sure take long vacations... 6 weeks good lord.

i like to fly in for the weekend and be back at work on monday and say i had an interesting weekend :)

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 22:28:13

At 6/25/08 10:17 PM, Luis wrote: i like to fly in for the weekend and be back at work on monday and say i had an interesting weekend :)

A weekend isn't much of a vacation, lulu.

iamcoreyg.com // campnorth

Need a website? music? graphics? CONTACT ME.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 23:29:59

At 6/25/08 11:22 PM, zrb wrote: You never know what can happen in a weekend.

Let alone 2 hours...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 23:34:07

At 6/25/08 10:28 PM, atomic-noodle wrote: A weekend isn't much of a vacation, lulu.

Rule #1. Never call him Lulu.

SWEET, my all nighter was cancelled!!! So see all you peoplez in like three weeks.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-06-25 23:43:10

At 6/25/08 10:03 PM, El-Presidente wrote: Australia
I'm going there to scuba dive, but I have about 40 hours worth of flying, plus 10 of layovers, so I'm kind of screwed for the next few days, along with the time difference.

Remember... leave 24 hours between your last dive and the plane. Check your secondary and always dive with a buddy :). Have fun on the reef!

Hi there!

BBS Signature