00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Too late for Vcam?

2,564 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:09:06

I've finally decided to use the Vcam. The problem is, I'm about 4 weeks into animating the project that I want to use the Vcam in. Does anyone know if it's possible to simply institute use of the Vcam later on in the project? Or is it one of those things that has to be used from the first frame onwards.

Skaijo is hungry. Gah! I'd kill for an oreo...

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:10:17

sure you can use it now

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:11:34

of course you can use it now, just put it on a new frame on the highest layer.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:12:09

Oh, not you too. What made you turn to the dark side? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:18:11

At 9/25/06 11:12 AM, Paranoia wrote: Oh, not you too. What made you turn to the dark side? :P

It was just so snazzy. xD

Plus, it's hard to animate old-school this day and age... '-_-

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:23:38

At 9/25/06 11:18 AM, Skaijo wrote: Plus, it's hard to animate old-school this day and age... '-_-

It's not that hard :)

I've got it in for the V Cam for no real reason. Mainly because lots of coders coders who really should be making their own scrolling mechanisms are taking the easy way out and using it in their games.

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:27:01

At 9/25/06 11:23 AM, Paranoia wrote:
At 9/25/06 11:18 AM, Skaijo wrote: Plus, it's hard to animate old-school this day and age... '-_-

I've got it in for the V Cam for no real reason. Mainly because lots of coders coders who really should be making their own scrolling mechanisms are taking the easy way out and using it in their games.

Whats wrong with that? Just because its easy to do, it shouldnt be used?

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:33:38

I plan on working with the Vcam to produce my own unique conglomeration of old-school and new school tweening magic.

*fist raise

Oh yes! That will be my goal--believe it.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 11:55:09

At 9/25/06 11:27 AM, the-distractor wrote: Whats wrong with that? Just because its easy to do, it shouldnt be used?

It's easy to make you're own scrolling too, and then it's yours. You engine is something sacred; something not set upon by someone else's code.

At 9/25/06 11:33 AM, Skaijo wrote: I plan on working with the Vcam to produce my own unique conglomeration of old-school and new school tweening magic.

*fist raise

Oh yes! That will be my goal--believe it.

I look forward to it :) If it's half as fifworthy as your usual stuff, it'll rock many socks.

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 12:07:32

id rather make my own v-cam, it would have rotation and filters.
filters arent hard to have add, but rotastion is where it getsa difficult

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 12:10:44

No no, Flash's lack of a virtual camera included is a great big flaw on the part of the developers. Every regular animation program has a virtual, and most often 3D, camera. Flash is really such an old program, that has been appropriated by animators and game designers and web developers and illustrators even, but the developers don't accomadate all these groups equally. The system is so old it'd probably be pretty hard to incorporate a virtual camera into the program. But they should. It'd be so nice if I didn't have to do camera's in post, since compositing systems are so slow, and having to render bitmaps of all my character animation, and vector backgrounds, all at hi resoultion takes up a lot of hard drive space.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 12:22:45

At 9/25/06 12:10 PM, MikeToole wrote:
No no, Flash's lack of a virtual camera included is a great big flaw on the part of the developers.

What the hell are you talking about? They made their choice with the stage system. It isn't the same as other programs, but it works well. If someone hadn't made their own cam then nobody would be missing it.

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 12:28:17

At 9/25/06 12:10 PM, MikeToole wrote: No no, Flash's lack of a virtual camera included is a great big flaw on the part of the developers.

Maybe for Newgrounds, but realize that Flash is used for thousands of different purposes, from training videos, displaying pdf docs, interacting with Breeze Server, working as an live communication tool, and displaying video. While they are known to be a great animation tool, a camera was one thing that could have been survived without putting into the Flash software.

And to tell the truth, I am glad that not everyone thinks to use Vcam all the time, because it disuades the user to actually think about angling the camera or doing other rotational affects with the animation. Since the vcam won't rotate, the idea of rotating the camera angle in the animation ceases to be.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 14:49:45

At 9/25/06 12:28 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 9/25/06 12:10 PM, MikeToole wrote: No no, Flash's lack of a virtual camera included is a great big flaw on the part of the developers.
Maybe for Newgrounds, but realize that Flash is used for thousands of different purposes, from training videos, displaying pdf docs, interacting with Breeze Server, working as an live communication tool, and displaying video. While they are known to be a great animation tool, a camera was one thing that could have been survived without putting into the Flash software.

And to tell the truth, I am glad that not everyone thinks to use Vcam all the time, because it disuades the user to actually think about angling the camera or doing other rotational affects with the animation. Since the vcam won't rotate, the idea of rotating the camera angle in the animation ceases to be.

Well by flaw I mean it is indicative of the developers lack of support of Flash's use by professional animators. Flash is great in general, and has been appropriated for many many things.

And the stage system has no benefits over a camera, it's only a limitation. Every single animator I've ever heard of wishes Flash had a real virtual camera so that we didn't need to do a plane camera composition in post with a video compositing program.

As for rotation, that other camera at that other website does let you use rotation, so that's not a big issue for general actionscript driven cameras. But actionscript won't export to video so in Flash camera work only, as they say, 'lives on the web'.

I like Flash for character animation though, its a hell of a lot better than a compositing program!

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 15:04:23

At 9/25/06 12:28 PM, jmtb02 wrote:

Good point. I just realized that the Vcam does not transfer rotation on export a short while ago. I guess it just further strains the fact that I as well as all other artists on Newgrounds should be open to new techniques for our art, but not allow ourselves to use a new method 100% of the time, replacing all the tricks we had previously learned.

Just about 10 more days until your next level up, jmtb02. Someone must be exceited. :D

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 16:31:53

Its never too late for Vcam ^_^

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 16:32:59

At 9/25/06 12:07 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote: id rather make my own v-cam, it would have rotation and filters.

Or, you could rely on your good friend Johnny to link you to this...

A Vcam that rotates, accepts filters and a host of other things.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-25 16:36:11

At 9/25/06 04:32 PM, Johnny wrote:
At 9/25/06 12:07 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote: id rather make my own v-cam, it would have rotation and filters.

I <3 you.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-26 02:19:37

My favorite thing about that one is that it matches your stages aspect ratio automatically.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-26 04:45:38

im too outdated for it :(

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-26 07:50:50

At 9/26/06 04:45 AM, skooj-lik-chaah wrote:

Wait a second, so that actually works? What's this .mxp file? Is actually safe to use?

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 13:44:05

At 9/26/06 07:50 AM, Skaijo wrote:
At 9/26/06 04:45 AM, skooj-lik-chaah wrote:

Wait a second, so that actually works? What's this .mxp file? Is actually safe to use?

If you have Flash 8, then you already have the Extension Manager, if you have MX then you need to download it from Adobe. Then click that file and the extension manager will prompt you to install it. You can also easily uncheck an extension to deactivate it at will. You just need to quit and open Flash whenever you install or deactivate a new one.

It allows for some awesome extensions for Flash. One of the extensions out there caused some weird bug, I think its the one called JK Drawing Tools since I had a ton of extensions that worked in harmony until that. But I just turned it off and it worked just fine! I think it's designed by Adobe in a way that an extension cannot possibly 'break' Flash if you deactivate it.

So its as safe as any file on the internet.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 14:18:03

MXPs work with Flash 7 as well. They were originally for "professional" versions of the software as far as I can tell. Extensions are pretty safe - I've got one for extended drawing tools which means I can draw gears even faster than normal.

Personally I'm surpised no one's taken Sham Bhangal's code and added a _root._rotation = this._rotation line to it yet...

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 14:20:28

At 9/27/06 02:18 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: I've got one for extended drawing tools which means I can draw gears even faster than normal.

Is that the JK drawing tools? Do you have a PC? Because I think that that is the one causing trouble on my Mac(weird errors that keep popping up when I open the program with no document, and sometimes just for no apparent reason at all). It's not very essential to my work, so I could manage to turn it on and use it quickly, if necessary.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 14:26:58

At 9/27/06 02:20 PM, MikeToole wrote: Is that the JK drawing tools? Do you have a PC? Because I think that that is the one causing trouble on my Mac(weird errors that keep popping up when I open the program

Yeah. I'm on a PC with Flash MX2004Pro. Pretty sure it's JK Drawing tools
It throws errors at me when I hold down Shift, Alt and Control in the wrong order, and requires Flash to reset before I can play with them again. Still, most useful toolset I was ever linked to.

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 15:06:00

I had the same problem with JK drawing tools yesterday, where I opened up Flash, and got the start-up screen where you can open a new document, open a file, or look at templates. But some error message kept popping up, and even after I hit ok it would keep coming back.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 15:59:33

It is actually easier to create a scrolling mechanism, as V-cam moves EVERYTHING on the screen, making HUD's more difficult. HOWEVER, it helps to reduce lag since lag can be created due to moving a large area, which is why i go for the v-cam

BBS Signature

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 16:11:02

At 9/25/06 11:27 AM, the-distractor wrote: Whats wrong with that? Just because its easy to do, it shouldnt be used?

A. It's not exactly your coding or engine.
B. It's not very good for games. It bugs up a lot and isn't efficient for games.

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 17:07:09

At 9/27/06 04:11 PM, TrueDarkness wrote:
A. It's not exactly your coding or engine.
B. It's not very good for games. It bugs up a lot and isn't efficient for games.

I've had no problem with it what so ever....

And Kayne, with the v-cam, it's not as simple as adding _rotation to it. Try it and see what happens. =)

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to Too late for Vcam? 2006-09-27 17:22:16

At 9/27/06 03:59 PM, Hoeloe wrote: It is actually easier to create a scrolling mechanism, as V-cam moves EVERYTHING on the screen, making HUD's more difficult. HOWEVER, it helps to reduce lag since lag can be created due to moving a large area, which is why i go for the v-cam

you'll get just as much lag with the vcam as you would coding your own camera, if not MORE lag because of the scaling calculations and stuff.

The vcam isn't magic, all it is is a set of functions that alter's the _root._x and _root._xscale FOR you, which is what you SHOULD do anyway when making your own camera.