00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

LaserKarls Art Thread

88,170 Views | 946 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-02-24 17:19:42

also, i'm interested in seeing how the dark sides of the landmass on the right and building structure on the left look with a deeper purple in the shaded regions (purple as an ambient light because the sky is purple)

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-02-25 08:46:31

At 2/24/09 05:16 PM, Starogre wrote: i really like the light in this. the water with pinks and purples look great as well.

Thank you!

also, it was a surprise to see the hi-res image because i only saw the birds after that. it gave me a great deal of space change when i saw the size difference between birds and building.

Yeah i added the flock of birds to enhance the size. Actually its meant to be some sort of 'crashed' spaceship, but understand how you read that wrong, i need to design my vehicles better.

the only thing i notice that could be fixed is the purple cloud to the middle right of the image. it seems a bit too puffy and stout for the size and where its at/what it is.

other than that everything is perfect (i know you like rough brush strokes so those are fine :-] )

I didnt see how missplaced that cloud looked until you pointed it out, good call!

also, i'm interested in seeing how the dark sides of the landmass on the right and building structure on the left look with a deeper purple in the shaded regions (purple as an ambient light because the sky is purple)

I guess thats another miss by me, i'll remember that until next time
Thanks for the feedback!

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-02-25 09:14:39

What brush are you using? Standard with hardness on 50 %?

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-02-25 13:15:46

At 2/25/09 09:14 AM, RadioactiveRabies wrote: What brush are you using? Standard with hardness on 50 %?

probably just has the brush window open and changes the options constantly depending on what you're coloring/detailing. that's what i do at least

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-02-25 14:20:06

At 2/25/09 01:15 PM, Starogre wrote:
At 2/25/09 09:14 AM, RadioactiveRabies wrote: What brush are you using? Standard with hardness on 50 %?
probably just has the brush window open and changes the options constantly depending on what you're coloring/detailing. that's what i do at least

Nah, i mostly use my own brushes, and I just change the brush size by right-clicking. The rest is up to the tablet.

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-12 12:43:56

some b/w thing. i wanna get more productive

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-12 12:47:40

With the amount of talent you have, the Art Forum wants you to be more productive as well. =)

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-20 14:45:36

w.i.p. Thoughts?

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-20 16:47:24

At 3/20/09 02:45 PM, LaserKarl wrote: w.i.p. Thoughts?

Looks neat. I like the colours. I'd highlight the bottles on the table a bit more. Now they kinda blend in with the wall too much.

But I'm sure you were gonna do that anyway.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 07:09:50

At 3/20/09 04:47 PM, idiot-monarch wrote:
At 3/20/09 02:45 PM, LaserKarl wrote: w.i.p. Thoughts?
Looks neat. I like the colours. I'd highlight the bottles on the table a bit more. Now they kinda blend in with the wall too much.

But I'm sure you were gonna do that anyway.

Thanks! Highlights added! It helped, good pointer.
Anyone else?

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 07:14:08

Oh, and heres a link to the high res

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 07:24:48

I clicked on your art Thread because you spell Karl with a K! That already gave you a big up!
Then I saw you art and I thought: this is amazing,
the colours and the blurs you use is great.
I will have to say the people pictures are better than you landscape ones, but its a close call, they are both fantastic!
I assume you are not using a mouse?
You only use flash and photoshop???
Thanks again Karl with a K

There is a fine line between hobby and obsession.

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 09:42:13

At 3/22/09 07:24 AM, monkeybars wrote: I clicked on your art Thread because you spell Karl with a K! That already gave you a big up!
Then I saw you art and I thought: this is amazing,
the colours and the blurs you use is great.
I will have to say the people pictures are better than you landscape ones, but its a close call, they are both fantastic!
I assume you are not using a mouse?
You only use flash and photoshop???
Thanks again Karl with a K

Thank you!
I just spell my name with a K, whats the big deal about that? haha
I use a wacom when working digitaly yes, and i mostly work in Photoshop and maybe Flash. But sometimes i use Artrage and Open Canvas aswell

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 13:31:54

The piece looks pretty good as it is, but do feel like the open space between them is a bit bright compared to the lighting around them. I feel my eyes being pulled towards the center of the wall instead of looking at the two lovely gentlemen talking. I don't know anything about photoshop so it might be too late to do anything about it, but you could try lightening or changing the color of their clothes or their chairs, to make them pop a little more

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-22 13:35:21

At 3/22/09 01:31 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: The piece looks pretty good as it is, but do feel like the open space between them is a bit bright compared to the lighting around them. I feel my eyes being pulled towards the center of the wall instead of looking at the two lovely gentlemen talking. I don't know anything about photoshop so it might be too late to do anything about it, but you could try lightening or changing the color of their clothes or their chairs, to make them pop a little more

thanks! I think it works better in full view over at deviantart. Maybe not?

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-24 15:53:02

Wip? white jacket-thing.

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-24 15:57:02

And another wip. Im pleased with the bird.

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-24 16:00:32

and another. reflections can be a bitch

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-24 16:09:30

I like the third one the most. The first one lacks contrast, so the person (looks like Bjõrk, btw) blends in with the background too much, and I don't really understand what's happening in the second pic :/

That's not to say that they're bad pictures. As far as I'm concerned, you're still the best artist in the Art Forums.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-03-25 05:58:36

At 3/24/09 04:08 PM, ArthurGhostly wrote:
At 3/24/09 04:00 PM, LaserKarl wrote: and another. reflections can be a bitch
Apparantly so can gravity, too.
Haha.

I chuckled.

You seem to have nailed the reflection of the grass on the lower parts of the legs.
But you've gone in to your famous painterly-look too much for the other sections.

It's such a shiny thing - the reflections should look pretty clear. If not a little deformed due to the shape of the object.

Thank you!
You're right, I guess i didnt think everything trough there, went on messing around too much.

At 3/24/09 04:09 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: I like the third one the most. The first one lacks contrast, so the person (looks like Bjõrk, btw) blends in with the background too much, and I don't really understand what's happening in the second pic :/

I thought the level of contrast between the face and the coat would be enough, i didnt think the jacket would have to pop out. I'm gonna test a few variations, see if anything gets better.
The second one IS a bit confusing, i did it without any planning or thinking, haha. I was hoping someone here would give me some good tip about what to do with it.

That's not to say that they're bad pictures. As far as I'm concerned, you're still the best artist in the Art Forums.

I might not agree with you on that part, but thank you!

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-04-06 09:16:04

Yippie-de-doo! Anyone in here up for some WIP-commenting?! Yoddelidaa!

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-04-06 09:46:52

At 4/6/09 09:16 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Yippie-de-doo! Anyone in here up for some WIP-commenting?! Yoddelidaa!

I love the character and the reflections. However, I think the legs are a bit too short, unless you're going for perspective (which isn't too apparent).

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-04-06 12:37:45

At 4/6/09 09:16 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Yippie-de-doo! Anyone in here up for some WIP-commenting?! Yoddelidaa!

Are you drunk again?
As for the image; the arms and legs don't really follow the same perspective. Gorgeous shininess thou!

My art thread

: I'm sometimes CornMan.

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-05 19:00:50

Thanks for the comments guys. sorry for the month-long absence. New shit right here.
You gotta go to DeviantArt though, to big for newgrounds.

Preview:

LaserKarls Art Thread

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 17:08:13

im sorry if this is being twaty, but what happned to the people comenting in the art forums? I've been going through most of the active threads here, and to find even a trace of qritique or tip on how to improve seems almost impossible. Why?

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 17:12:56

At 5/6/09 05:08 PM, LaserKarl wrote: im sorry if this is being twaty, but what happned to the people comenting in the art forums? I've been going through most of the active threads here, and to find even a trace of qritique or tip on how to improve seems almost impossible. Why?

See also: Flash reviews.

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 17:25:49

Orgasmic work, as always.

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 18:04:18

Wow, I totally forgot it was you who drew this. I don't think I've commented in your thread before but you've got some pretty great stuff in here; I'm always impressed with people who can pull off a digital painting style because I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

I think somebody already mentioned that the perspective on the limbs doesn't seem consistent, which I think it is, but, it's not a particularly glaring problem either. Part of what I think is making it appear off is that the limbs all have a rounded cylindrical appearance to them, so, it's not like a regular body where we would see and recognize different planes of the figure as it was rotated. You did do a good job of trying to minimize that problem though by indicating contours through highlights.

My only other criticism/suggestio would be that the left side of the picture seems a bit empty. Maybe add some clouds over there as well?

im sorry if this is being twaty, but what happned to the people comenting in the art forums? I've been going through most of the active threads here, and to find even a trace of qritique or tip on how to improve seems almost impossible. Why?

Part of the problem with the Art forum generally is that most forum-goers don't comment on good artwork. Bad stuff gets a LOT of attention on here (I don't want to name names, but I'm sure you can figure out which threads I'm referring to). I really do wish that instead of people leaving 4 or 5 negative comments on something that was badly draw in under five minutes that they'd take time to find one GOOD piece that they like in a thread somewhere and leave a positive comment about that. But, that doesn't seem to be the way it works around here.

What that means for you though, and what I tell lots of new people who post here is that if you're not getting comments then it means you're likely doing a pretty good job at whatever it is you're doing, because if you sucked, chances are someone on here would let you know. So, at least what I tell myself all the time is no comments are generally a good thing. But, I realize if you're actively seeking feedback and criticism, then just know people don't think you suck isn't very helpful.

Apart from that, my own experience for when I leave comments / criticism / suggestions has been that I tend to only do it 1) for people I like on here (could be for their art or just because I think they're n ice people); 2) for artwork that I think is interesting, has potential, or involves some really cool concept; and 3) for artwork that is not very good, but shows a sincere effort so that I know if I do make a suggestion, the person will actually appreciate it and give it some thought. I don't know if it's like that for everybody else, but, maybe you're just not hitting the right combination of interests for people on the forum at the moment?

Anyway, you might want to bring the topic up at the Art Forum Lounge. Maybe we could start a thread specifically for critiquing polished artwork? Although, I'm guessing someone has to have tried that at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 18:06:43

^^^ we already have a thread for critiquing polished work, that would be the critiquing thread naturally :)

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to LaserKarls Art Thread 2009-05-06 18:13:41

At 5/6/09 06:06 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: ^^^ we already have a thread for critiquing polished work, that would be the critiquing thread naturally :)

Heh. That's where I saw LaserKarl's tin man before. Was wondering why I couldn't connect a name with it...

Anyway, the level of activity in that thread doesn't seem particularly encouraging, which is sad.

BBS Signature