00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Username Standards

118,669 Views | 741 Replies
Respond to this Topic

New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:07:56

In order to keep in line with our "grand scheme" for Newgrounds, we need to implement new standards for usernames. These are standards we probably should have had from the beginning, as many sites already follow them.

Names that begin or end with a hyphen are no longer valid. You can, however, have a hyphen in the body of your name.

For example, "-SuperJoe-" is no longer valid, but "Super-Joe" is. Double hyphens, such as "Super--Joe" are, however, invalid.

Names can also no longer include underscores, so both names such as "Super_Joe" or "_SuperJoe_" are no longer valid.

From this point on, new account names must follow these rules. Also, you will not be able to edit your user info without being forced to update your name. I know this is an inconvenience for a good number of users, but this change allows us a lot more flexibility with the user system.

We will eventually be "force-updating" names that remain invalid, but for now we are giving users the chance to change their names voluntarily. ALSO, if you are a site contributor, feel free to PM me for preferential treatment. For example, both "-Knox-" and "-Luis-" recently became "Knox" and "Luis", because the original owners of thes names were inactive users who never did anything with their accounts after creating them. I will work with contributing users (such as Flash authors, Audio Portal contributors, high ranking users) to give them the best names possible.

Sorry again for the inconvenience, and thank you to everyone who voluntarily makes the transition!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:08:38

Good show Tom

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:09:13

cool

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:09:20

Oh... Crap. I already noticed this earlier. :(

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:10:07

Would spaces be allowed? they could help with the no hyphen thing like on my name

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:10:41

Are you hopefully going to clean the website of members who sign up and do absolutely nothing?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:11:09

haha i guess you're sol, paradox

the infallible shadow

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:11:16

oh my...

that kinda sucks

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:11:16

Smartest move ever Tom.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:11:22

Damn, my name is invalid now.

this sucks.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:12:01

I hope you got my PM... I mean, I was ABOUT to change my name back to -Casualty- when at once... poopoo error! I was like 10 minutes late.

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:12:08

At 9/9/06 12:11 PM, fadedshadow wrote: haha i guess you're sol, paradox

Zomg, a reply by a "legendary Flash guy".

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:12:20

I guess that sucks for some people I know. But as long as you aren't yet cracking down on long-rambling usernames such as mine, I'm fine with it.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:12:52

That gets rid of those ---------------- peoples names that you couldn't read their profiles.

And there goes half of NG's regulars user names

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:13:05

Grand scheme?

We are taking over the world!

EVERY MAN AT ARMS!

Seriously though, that is not cool.
I was just about to use a hyphen.

sigh

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:13:26

At 9/9/06 12:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: In order to keep in line with our "grand scheme" for Newgrounds, we need to implement new standards for usernames. These are standards we probably should have had from the beginning, as many sites already follow them.

Ooooooooooook?

From this point on, new account names must follow these rules. Also, you will not be able to edit your user info without being forced to update your name. I know this is an inconvenience for a good number of users, but this change allows us a lot more flexibility with the user system.

Wait wait wait...you mean that when we want to update our profiles, we have to do something with our names? Or is that just for the people who have the invalid names? A little help here, Tom....

Sorry again for the inconvenience, and thank you to everyone who voluntarily makes the transition!

You are forgiven. I'm pretty damn sure I don't violate the name thing, so yeah...thanks for updating us, though.

NG Mafia, Pokemon Club, Userpage.

sig by Turkeybean

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:14:16

Seriously,are spaces aloud,cause i need to know before i edit mine >_>

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:14:45

May I ask WHY?

I like being arab_freak. I don't think changing my name to arabfreak will do justice. Why have hyphens and underscores removed? I want to stay as arab_freak, I think I have the right to have it that way.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:15:43

At 9/9/06 12:10 PM, Scribblez wrote: So - The people who do have "-" in their names, they can keep it?
But if they change it, they can't get it back?

No, we will be force-changing names when the time comes, so it is better for users to voluntarily choose a name now. An example of a force change might be "-Joe-" becoming "Joe2" or something.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:15:46

At 9/9/06 12:12 PM, -Paradox- wrote:
At 9/9/06 12:11 PM, fadedshadow wrote: haha i guess you're sol, paradox
Zomg, a reply by a "legendary Flash guy".

haha the legendary flash guy speaks, but i wanna ask something, why the changes, its not like hyphens symblolize nazism or anything like that.

the infallible shadow

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:16:00

Ah, so there goes my alias Bahamut-. :( Well, if I can get the alias Bahamut because of this, then that's fine. Thanks for the info about the no allowance on those sort of names.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:16:14

At 9/9/06 12:14 PM, arab_freak wrote: May I ask WHY?

I like being arab_freak. I don't think changing my name to arabfreak will do justice. Why have hyphens and underscores removed? I want to stay as arab_freak, I think I have the right to have it that way.

I agree,though it is probably for the best

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:16:39

At 9/9/06 12:16 PM, -Shadow-Sniper- wrote:

And why, could that be?

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:16:50

I think you'd be safe man, your awesome finds should save you.

I guess its a lot easier to use database stuff when people aren't called -xXDestRo_cutOORXx-

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:17:00

Let's hope this "grand scheme" works out for Newgrounds :D

I'm not angry, this has been my name for all of my time at newgrounds, except the first month or so.

wew

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:18:04

At 9/9/06 12:16 PM, -Paradox- wrote:
At 9/9/06 12:16 PM, -Shadow-Sniper- wrote:

And why, could that be?

Well as they said earlier,there are ones like the ------------ guy that has done nothing since joining.i dont really like the idea but i support it,but still Tom,Can we use spaces? lol

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:18:20

Now everyones going to have a rare name, and I can no longer stand out as a awesome guy. :(

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:18:46

There goes 44% of all the aliases on Newgrounds.

D:

Good thing I'm not affected by this, though.

sockpuppetclock

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:18:51

Heh, not affected.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-09 12:18:57

At 9/9/06 12:11 PM, Koreaguy wrote: Why Tom? WHY??!?!?!!?

I love my username!

I can change your name to "Grubby" if you like, the holder of that account was never active.

BBS Signature