00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Big things happening...

22,992 Views | 175 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:14:20

Wow this is big new, I'll make sure at least to click on some of the cleaner type ads, if that will help.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:18:08

Will do, Tom ol' bean! I start singing up for all the advertisers right away! I want to help teh NG!

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:19:18

We'll be @ your service :).

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:19:38

At 3/5/03 02:47 PM, Riotts wrote: Troma is an awesome company though, I'm hoping they'll be at Warped again this summer.

I tended to just ignore the advertisements, but I'll start clickin' around to support NG. What's 5 minutes of my time when otherwise it's the money from your pocket right? Keep up the good work!

Same here, otherwise NG will be forced to utilize annoying pop-ups on every page and even if worse came to worse, become a pay site. It's great that this site is still standing after the .com crash...and really awesome to hear you'll have control of everything back Tom, this is an exciting and yes scary time for NG. I'll do my part and support in anyway I can, thank you for all the free entertainment you've provided me with over the years.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:20:01

Congratulations to Newgrounds! To stand alone and be your own rep is quite a task. I hope you're up to the challenge.
Come on everyone, let's help support newgrounds in this new era and check out those sponsors!

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:23:41

Sounds like everyone is willing to give something back to NG thats good!

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:23:37

Hey, Tom and Wade... you should maybe do more NG events in philly or where ever like band shows and promo things and stuff like that cause that shit is fun... have the big newgrounds party!1

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:26:17

At 3/5/03 10:50 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Remember - your support will improve the performance of the site, as we need the money for increased bandwidth and upgrades!

Yeah well, I'll try to support NG as much as I can, cuz I think clean ads are better and NG is just a great place to be, but unfortanately I can't do anything that's gonna cost me, cuz My mom won't let me pay over the internet + I'm only 13 and am broke as hell!

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:26:50

You could make some kind of contest were we can send you some original music made from the user and not copied and whoevere wins you can give them some cheap prize that you can give. Oh and Tom maybe you can make more levels and give exp to all who find some easter eggs on NG

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:27:05

Tom, you should hold fundraisers or make a donation link on the frontpage so loyal NG fans can send you guys money

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:44:28

I thought that contract expired long ago and that you where only putting the Troma link because you liked them. Well, anyways, here's what I think:

- I would gladly subscribe to NG if you ever decided to make it a pay site, or ( waaaaay better) if you decided to simply mention who sends you money and give them a little extra in their profile. Or something. Maybe 5$ a month, as people from oustide U.S. see that doubled because of all the money change and postal crap. And I live in Canada, so 5$ = 20$!
Don't think I want NG to become a pay site, though! Never! Fredooooooom!

- How do these banners work? Do you make money if we simply click them, or do we have to visit certain sections or subscribe? As soon as I know, I'll be able to help you more efficiently.

- I won't buy stuff, though, unless it is extremely cool. I don't buy a lot of stuff. At all.

- Can you still try Newdgrounds, but with another company, or do these L.A. bitches still hold all the rights to it?

Well, good luck! Not that I think you'll need any!

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:55:55

Oh yeah, the music portal.

Well, I used it only once.

Most of the loops don't loop very well, and many a poor quality. Maybe you should allow larger submissions, like, 600k.

I think sound effects are always nice, they work more often than the loops, at least. But, as someone who doesn't really care about the audio portal as I care about the good'ol portal, I'd say, do what you think is best, you usually have very good jugdment.
But don't "hire" people who would be the only ones in charge of submitting, that would suck.

Freedom to teh portal!

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 15:58:46

So exciting! Anyway,i'll do my part.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:05:35

You should try having relationships with the microsoft Xbox. I know MS is dieing to spread the popularity of it.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:08:48

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of hosting for Newgrounds.

Fundraisers are good.

Good luck with clean sponsors.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:12:32

Ah Ha! Finally NG has been "Liberated" long live the freedom!

Now the important part. WE ARE ALL PART OF NEWGROUNDS!
From the greatest flash animator to the person who just made an account. With this new found freedom it is imperitive that we, the people, support and aid this site in any way we can.

So let us protect this beautiful sight we call Newgrounds. View the Banners, and Buy Merchandise. Sure there may be some of us who don't have much money to spare. But it's not asking much to spend a little to protect this community.

And with that said we should congratulate Tom and everyone and wish them the best of luck and strength through this new time. May you perservere through any obstacle that comes in your way.

LONG LIVE NEWGROUNDS!

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:14:25

Nice...

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:24:59

At 3/5/03 03:55 PM, poxpower wrote:
But don't "hire" people who would be the only ones in charge of submitting, that would suck.

Freedom to teh portal!

If you were reffering to my post about hiring people... Then I wanna say this:

I didn't mean that those audio artists who are hired are the only ones in charge of submitting... I meant that Tom needs to "hire" them (not neccesarily for money, if they wanna do it for free... then that would be great) and put up an index of soundFX and/or Music loops and just put the stuff these artists make or have up on NG himself, instead of a submitting system...

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:34:19

Good Luck Tom. Try not to get screwd over like you did with newdgrounds

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:35:28

hey Tom that's cool that you don't have to rely on Troma but how are you guys gonna host all this stuff yourself? Since Troma is cool and you guys like 'em why don't you just sign another deal cuz it worked before and it can still work for you.

Anyways about the audio portal. don't get rid of it. i like it. its like any other thing. its takes time to get better. you can't expect it to magically work perfectly the first time around. just give it time and it will be yet another cool feature of NG.

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:45:25

At 3/5/03 04:34 PM, Testerline wrote: Good Luck Tom. Try not to get screwd over like you did with newdgrounds

That's the scary part

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:45:47

The future looks good, fellow NG fans!

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:51:22

bleh, whatever. just keep beebo, all i ask.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 16:51:36

At 3/5/03 04:45 PM, Mopsicle wrote: The future looks good, fellow NG fans!

Hope so...

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:02:09

At 3/5/03 10:50 AM, TomFulp wrote:
It is an exciting and scary time for Newgrounds. It feels great to know that we will once again have 100% control over everything related to NG.

Now what exactly did Troma control? I would have thought these guys were big on freedom of speech? Or was it just advertisements? I understand if some things can't be disclosed.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:05:15

At 3/5/03 04:45 PM, Mopsicle wrote: The future looks good, fellow NG fans!

Oh, it always looks good from afar, as do many things. But once you get up close to it... it starts to look a little less good.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:09:15

At 3/5/03 11:23 AM, PratT wrote: How about awarding points (xp or something new) for clicking banner ads? Too abusable?

This is a good idea, and the first thing I though when I first read this. You could put it on the submit points page and give like.. an extra 2-5 points for clicking on the ad or something.. because people say they will click on the adds, but they will eventually forget. If you have that most people that submit will also go to the link to get those points.
I'll do what I can for as long as I can.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:32:03

That's pretty cool. I hope everything works out to keep newgrounds running. Keep up the good work.

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:37:02

Uh, Tom why doe sthis appera on the front page and general? And if I had more money I'd buy more stuff ( at least I got NG stickers)

Response to Big things happening... 2003-03-05 17:38:31

At 3/5/03 10:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: Big announcement, everyone!

As of the end of this month, Newgrounds is being released from its contract with Troma. This means that we will now be in charge of our hosting and advertising.

YAY! No more annoying popups! Hey Tom, Why are all the Sound FX sounds gone. Becuase if people are abusing that part and got MY Sounds FX's deleted, IM GOING TO BE PISSED BIG TIME!