00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RhubarbRumble just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Homecoming

65,074 Views | 179 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 18:50:14

Welcome back Ross, nice to see ya.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 18:52:02

Um...yeah hi....I think

Do I know you? :P

wut

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 18:56:35

Welcum back Ross

None

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 19:12:37

finally some updates to the site.

Welcome Back!

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 19:37:20

Hey great i hope this means changes to the audio portal now that the kooky uncle is back.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 19:39:45

I bet the high school kids mocked you untill you left. Anyways, welcome back! I remember you... from the literature section that is.

Swing a Little more!

.. ROCK OUT!

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 19:49:33

I totally remember you!
Welcome back man! I'm sure the site will benefit from your prescence once more.
I speak for all of us at NG when I say it's great to have the guy who programmed the original Portal back on the site :)

I was never really here.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 19:53:21

At 8/7/06 03:15 PM, Evark wrote: Whereas (I assume) Ross will be programming new features and James will be cleaning them up and making them super-efficient.

I'm guessing that this is in reference to what's written in the Literature page, in particularly, this part:

"James tore in like an animal, overhauling and optimizing everything in sight."

Whilst this is true in certain respects, you have got to keep several things in mind:

1. I started looking at the code on the site over a year after Ross had left. The development of the Internet and software used on it can progress in leaps and bounds in that short amount of time.

Some of the changes that I made to the site code back in 2002 and onward were complete re-writes (which took time), but some of the most important parts of those re-writes were adding keys to database fields that had not been previously assigned. These changes were relatively quick, but very cost effective when it came to saving work that the database had to do.

2. Newgrounds' popularity increased exponentially (against all odds, with respect to keeping the site online due to advertising revenue slumps) shortly after Ross' initial departure from the site. Code that would have otherwise have worked perfectly on the site at the time he was working there suddenly became an issue. This is something you can only learn after reading error logs and what not, which he'd never previously have seen when he'd been on the site.

3. Ross was my inspiration for exploring PHP/Perl and other programming and scripting languages, after having seen what he'd done with Newgrounds. I owe whatever I have learned in those respects as a result of his work, way back when. He and I always had a decent level of e-mail correspondence back then, too.

4. Sometimes, it takes a fresh pair of eyes to look over code and realise when things could be done more efficiently. The same that could have been said of the code that was initially written and which I started looking at in 2002, and have been working on from there on in to the current day, can be said of the code I've written in the past few years of working for Newgrounds.

When I first started with the site, I had plenty of time to write new scripts, re-write old scripts and 'new' scripts. I don't have that luxury today, because there's so much to maintain and I deal with my fair share of correspondence from users.

I'm aware that there are problems with the code that runs on the site today and Ross has already identified a lot of areas of the site that could be made more efficient, that I would never have spotted. Whether or not that's down to him looking at the code again with fresh eyes, or because he's a lot more qualified, in more programming languages than I am is irrelevant - he's spotting things that I would have missed. In other words, the pendulum swings both ways, back with how things were with his code then, and how things are with mine now.

As far as what we all do for the site - that will always remain somewhat of a mystery, since we're a team. One thing I will say, though - the new level icons weren't only the work of Jeff and Stamper. Wade, who's renowned solely for banning and deleting users talked with Jeff a great deal about all of the icons that could be used there. People forget or are unaware that he's responsible for doing a lot more than he's credited for.

I noticed there was a post in the flash forums, where someone had decompiled the flash portal header (the 2004 one) and commented on the coding there. That was animated by Stamper. It made me chuckle when I read the thread, since the guy was convinced that Tom had programmed the swfs going into the "vortex" or whatever at the left of the animation. I did that. I think I'd used a deprecated function like getProperty or setProperty. C'est la vie. :)

All of us work incredibly hard and love doing what we're doing. I see posts now and then that seem to indicate that Tom might be a missing link somewhere, who doesn't really do a great deal. Haha - how wrong can those people be? He's around the site all the time, updating collections, making suggestions, implementing rough designs for things that will later be dealt with by the hands of the artists and then coders, etc, etc. And that's ON TOP of coding up ANOTHER console game AND dealing with more e-mails and private messages than the average human being gets AND dealing with a ton of clerical work in the office. Damnit, that man is a machine.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 20:00:01

At 8/7/06 07:53 PM, liljim wrote: Stuff

Wow, all interesting stuff. Ross must be really good if he inspired YOU.

Anyways, cool.

The one thing you touched on that I agree with most is Wade's role. I hate it when people talk bad about him because he really does do so much. I mean even the way he's trying to clean up the general forum right now. Very complex issue. I know first hand that Wade does an excellent job. I mean I've PMed him, and he responds as I would guess he does with everyone. He seems to be a really valuable asset to Newgrounds.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 20:11:05

:D

Welcome back!

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 20:13:21

I hope you will stay for a while, I hope you have some good ideas for the site, and, welcome back

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 20:29:49

Coolio.

Welcome back, man

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 20:57:40

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: Not to mention that the site has grown and evolved in ways I would've never expected. Wait until you see the stuff we've got coming up!

trust me, WE CANT WAIT!
good to see you back doing something you love and enjoying yourself..
thats what its all about.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:00:31

hi! i don't know you but welcome back!

Sigs are overrated.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:20:31

At 8/7/06 02:37 PM, UKer wrote: That's all fine and dandy but where are the new levels?!

Yeah, why don't you program us some new levels!

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:39:35

Welcome back, Ross. Although I didn't really know you in the past, you sound like a nice, respectable guy. It's good to have you back. Anyone who was associated with creating The Portal is among gods in my opinion :]

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:48:16

Your profile pic is HOT HOT HOT.

Welcome back.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:52:08

*bows before god parent*

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:54:57

I smell progress!

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 21:55:48

Awesome...

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:05:14

At 8/7/06 02:34 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: I remember you

yea me too before i sighed up

Roma est mater omnium nostrum

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:20:43

Welcome back, Ross!

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:26:22

At 8/7/06 10:20 PM, AprilFulp wrote: Welcome back, Ross!

Whoa.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:31:23

Welcome back dude,glad to see another great and old school (the 3rd user as a matter of fact) NG worker in the office. :)

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:40:27

Im too new to know who you are... but after what you said iy`s obvious that your presence will only be a booster to the progress of the website.

Congratulations on getting married, and on getting your fantasy job :D Hopefully you won`t have to go again.

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:49:48

Oi, good to see you make a news thread, Ross! Nice re-introduction to get people to know you.

Congrats on getting married. Two months isn't a long time at all, so I'm not too late on that.

Another programmer in the Newgrounds staff means good things for the site.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 22:56:13

Wow
Thats good

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 23:12:06

This layout will be much prettier soon. it all makes sense now.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 23:16:52

Holy fuck, the original NG forum admin is back. Hi, glad to finally get a chance to say hello to you, and very glad to finally see an original founder of the site working on it again.guess you have a chance to meet all off us on NG, it has grown alot man.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 23:51:56

I heard you were back with the NG crew, and considering your history with the site, I definitely think you're right where you belong. Welcome back holmes!