00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Portal Uploads

11,837 Views | 110 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 18:23:09

graaefeghahfksmbv.xcvbm!

>:(

I just finished one of my best songs and now I can't upload it >:( mehhh

oh well.. hope its back up soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 18:41:31

nooooo!!!! All well, my music is crap anyways.

lol

<3

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 18:59:18

delete all the stolen songs, you will get at least 2 gb more space >:(

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 19:14:10

Can't wait till Newgrounds has everything running on a beast of a machine :)

wew

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 19:21:25

Wow, NG is running out of space? Time to break out the mass storage drives!

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.

Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 19:53:10

Hi there - one of the unofficial ambassadors from the Audio Forums here,

Well, a few of us got a heads up that this was a problem a little while ago so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise to some of us.

We're very happy that the new fileserver(s) will be in place soon - this means better storage for more original music by the red-headed stepchildren that spam up the audio forums.

The timing is so ironically perfect too :D - the AF is currently right in the middle of one of the first regulated audio contests - Oh well, I guess we'll just need to make a few adjustments.

A big Thank You to all of the NG staffers and mods who put up with the AF - your efforts and money are most certainly appreciated by the audio regulars!

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 20:48:19

Ok, a few people have asked questions or made statements that I haven't as yet responded to. I'll do that now. I did explain everything in the first post, but perhaps that wasn't clear enough.

Newgrounds has run out of space? I never thought that would happen!

It wouldn't, usually. Tim and I are always aware of disk shortages and usually deal with them in advance of anything happening. The procedure for which is:

1. Buy a new drive for storage, in advance of the drive in question running out of space.
2. Bring the site down, install the disk, and allocate the disk to storage of the area of the site that is running low.
3. Bring the site back up.

In this case, the new unit that will be replacing the fileserver had already been ordered, had arrived and is awaiting installation. There's no point in buying a new disk drive for a unit that's going to be swapped out with a new unit within a matter of days (the old fileserver will still be used in the cluster, but for other purposes, which are as yet undetermined). Furthermore, there's no point in going through bringing the site down to install a new drive, that might be used for just a couple of days.

I'm banned from submitting audio, even though I've never submitted anything before!

You can't be banned from submitting audio UNLESS you or someone who has access to your account has previoulsy submitted something to the Audio Portal.

How much disk space is the Audio Portal taking up?

At the moment, 98Gb. Nothing too fancy, the Audio Portal just grew a lot faster than we thought it would when were allocating different drives to different parts of the site.

Any information on the Netapp?

Yes. It's ready to be installed. As for storage, we have 14 disk drives that are ready to be placed into it. We can go up to 168, totalling 84 terrabytes. That total (storage space wise, not how many drives can physically fit into the slots) really does depend on a great many things, though. Most users see disk drive usage in terms of their own drive... Like mine is a measly 80gb. We'd probably not ever get to the level of storage we could get to, even with all disks used up.

When it comes to Newgrounds' sort of set up, you have to think about a great number of other things. Check out how RAID works by looking at WikiPedia or searching through Google. We're migrating from RAID 10 to Double/Diagonal Parity, apparently.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 21:04:41

well, that's good. I hope you never have to replace that one....unless it breaks...but not for "not enough storage" problems

Hello, from the past!

[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 21:26:26

if the AP had a blam/save system, it would help save a good deal of space.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 21:38:06

At 7/30/06 09:26 PM, SoulStrings wrote: if the AP had a blam/save system, it would help save a good deal of space.

How true, my friend...

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 21:47:12

Ok I was thinking for a long time that there should be blams in the audio portal, now maby not as many people would have to vote but at least 50 that way it will stop the very bad songs from getting in and taking up the space. It would be even better if people could get blam/protect points from voting on the audio. This system will also give n00b artists more comments so they know how to improve and with a min of like 50 people voting artists dont have to worry about getting one vote of a 0 or a 1 and never being seen again so that they could know that there songs might actually be good, if this was done it would at least slow down the growth of the audio portal and reduce the amount of crap on it.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 21:53:18

At 7/30/06 09:47 PM, DJ_All_hail_cale wrote: Ok I was thinking for a long time that there should be blams in the audio portal, now maby not as many people would have to vote but at least 50 that way it will stop the very bad songs from getting in and taking up the space. It would be even better if people could get blam/protect points from voting on the audio. This system will also give n00b artists more comments so they know how to improve and with a min of like 50 people voting artists dont have to worry about getting one vote of a 0 or a 1 and never being seen again so that they could know that there songs might actually be good, if this was done it would at least slow down the growth of the audio portal and reduce the amount of crap on it.

50 votes is far too many. The audio songs barely get 10, 20 to somewhat popular, 40-50 for incredibly popular, and 100+ for ParagonX9 :'(

I would say a panal of judges, not exclusive of course, respectable, serious artists, should be able to help out, with no real powers other then blamming/saving good songs. This would eradicate meaningless votes.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 22:25:49

Yeah... I tried to upload something and I was like...

"what the hell?"

Come here and questions are answered. Oh well, this is good news both ways for NG, I think.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 22:27:17

Ya a pannel of judges would be very good for the audio portal, maby it could be like at least 3 judges vote on each song and that would decide if it is let in or kicked out of the audio portal, the judges could all be musicians but they wouldent be able to vot on there own so there would have to be many of them, I know that I for one would be honoured to do that and im sure many other people would be too.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 22:59:11

Damn, I was going to submit tommorow :'(

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 23:00:22

At 7/30/06 05:34 PM, Judge_Dredd wrote: *googs Netapp 3020*

50 - 84 TB! OMG-!!

Terrabytes for the fuckin win!

That's over 50 million minutes of MP3 full cap..

Uggg... **drools**

Indeed,btw how much does this Netapp 3020 cost?

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 23:27:11

At 7/30/06 11:00 PM, X-Naut wrote: Indeed,btw how much does this Netapp 3020 cost?

Probaly more than I could dream.

Bah

I need to start submitting some audio...

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 23:39:26

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-30 23:45:52

just curious does the Audio portal have the same voteoff system as teh flash portal?

I would imagine if people where uploading crap that items should be voted off to deletion

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 00:03:57

At 7/30/06 11:45 PM, MindChamber wrote: just curious does the Audio portal have the same voteoff system as teh flash portal?

I would imagine if people where uploading crap that items should be voted off to deletion

no it doesn't

that's why i have so many things in it, even though i suck. but you do have to get one thing like, to get validated or whatever if it's a first submission.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 00:59:23

Hey, uh, I forgot to mention, to free up some space you can delete my Zelda audio and my broken Mario one ^_-*

wew

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 01:22:17

*Thanks for the warning about the down time.

A lot of talk about what the audio portal needs, good to see. One thing I know I would like to see happen is being able to delete our own audio. Flash artists were finnaly granted the ability, I just wish it were the same in the AP. I think it would be very helpful to be able to clear earlier subbmissions. There is no B/P points and no batting average to consider, so it almost seems like a no-brainer. What do you all think?

|NGSM|NGM|EGB|NGPD|DA|Sig by - CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 01:43:34

You've gotta be kidding. That sucks :'(

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:00:18

lol sucks to be anybody hoping to upload audio =P

hope it gets fixed soon

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:00:32

At 7/30/06 03:26 PM, Funkchiken wrote: So is there an under judgement phase for audio or can anyone just submit any non-stolen shitty file and have it saved to NG?

Well, the problem with the Audio Portal is that there's so much voting abuse and so little a userbase that a Judgement system would be impossible. If a judgement system was introduced, nothing would survive it because of all the zero voting abuse.

The root of this problem is because the Audio Portal doesn't get enough attention. If there were more users, then zero voting wouldn't even be a problem (just like it isn't a problem in the Flash Portal). So please check out the Audio Portal, and tell your friends! Until we get a big userbase behind the Audio Portal, the NG staff will be very reluctant to introduce any new changes to it.

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:04:57

I don't get it, if you're running out of so much space, couldn't you have a judgment zone set-up like you do for the flash portal? It'd make the AP a lot more popular if people go credit there, and also it would save room that all the entries with under a 2.0 percentage would take up, because i doubt anyone would really want to listen or use something with such a low score. The AP is awesome, it just needs a set up like the FP. And is the FP nearing it's memory limit too?

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:15:31

Removing all those 0.00/5 uploads would free up some space. Same thing for maybe anything less than a 1, but that might not be how the site works.

Member of the Anime Club

I only drink the blood my enemies... and occasionally a Strawberry YooHoo .

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:34:13

Newgrounds running out of space? Now the chickens will gain world dominance!
Kidding. But i've never thought that Newgrounds would be running out of space that soon?

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 03:47:57

About five of the responses in here are with genuine interest.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Portal Uploads 2006-07-31 05:25:40

At 7/31/06 03:47 AM, Erkie wrote: About five of the responses in here are with genuine interest.

Are you one of them? I would hope so.

BBS Signature