00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Piano audio software thing

1,056 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:24:48

Hey I play the piano and was wondering if there's a good electric keyboard (88-key, no less) that I can do stuff on the computer with to submit to the audio portal. It should have realistic keys, not cheap plastic ones that are too easy to press down. How much does it cost and where can I buy it?

I'M AN ATHEIST LOL.

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:33:12

Well, you have plenty of options.

I personally have the Casio Privia PX-310 as my weighted controller of choice. It has built-in sounds for whenever I need to go to perform (although the only think worth mentioning is the paino), and has great action. I went into the keyboard market a few months ago for exactly what you were looking for, a full size (or close to it) piano with great graded hammer action. My favorite was the Casio Privia PX-310, which goes for $600. I *personally* find the feel much more realistic than even the higher-end yamaha keyboards, which are known for their action. This has a more realistic graded feel, meaning the lower keys are heavier and the lighter keys are lighter. I actually wrote an indepth review about it a while ago, I may as well put it here (I'll post it again so my train of thought doesn't leave the station).

You could go with a keybaord controller that is weighted but doesn't have any sounds built in for a few hundred cheaper, but I've found that those also have a cheaper feeling action. You get what you pay for, as they say.

BBS Signature

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:34:36

For cheap, you might want to check out the yamaha Clavinova's. 88 weighted keys with MIDI out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/..QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, there are hundreds of different controller keyboards out there...your best bet is to go to your local music store and try out the different brands and see what you like.

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:35:55

Thanks a lot, if I'm tryin to get a summer job, so I am gonna save up for the $600 dollar one.

I'M AN ATHEIST LOL.

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:36:56

Cause the other one just looked like an electric keyboard, not one you could hook up to the computer.

I'M AN ATHEIST LOL.

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:39:20

the article I wrote about the keybaord:

5/02/06- Casio And The Privia PX-310

The Truth Behind Casio And The Privia PX-310

I’ve always thought of Casio keyboards as being the “budget” keyboard when compared with Yamaha and Korg. In fact, I often just skipped right past the Casio section when browsing for a keyboard. Stupid? You bet.

Recently I have been in the market for an 88 key keyboard with weighted keys. Although I wish I had all the money in the world to spend, I didn’t, so I was looking for the cheapest good solution possible. I didn’t care too much about the sounds, since I have all the samples I need right on my computer. I just wanted something that felt like a real piano. So off I went to my local keyboard retailer.

I tested out many different models. Most of the Yamahas I found (specifically the P90 and the CP33) feel too heavy at the top and too light at the bottom register of the keyboard. Although they were designed with a graded hammer action (meaning the lighter register of the keyboard has a lighter action and the bottom register has a heavier action), the differences were too small.

I looked at the Korg models for fun, even if they were way out the price range. I was particularly impressed with the Triton Extreme models, which had amazing controls and decent action. I still felt they didn’t simulate a real grand piano feel, even if the sound was close. As my hope began to fade, I decided to go over and try a small Casio Privia keyboard, the PX-110.

The price was marked $500, which seemed pretty cheap for a keyboard with sounds and graded hammer action. I figured that the action would feel spongy and awful, but I was wrong. After playing pieces ranging from melodious Chopin Nocturnes to ferocious Rachmaninoff Preludes, I was impressed. The feel of the keyboard outperformed it’s Yamaha competitors, and I even found it more comfortable than the Korgs. The upper registers felt light and bouncy, and the lower registers gave the resistance I was looking for. Looking back at the price tag, I wondered if the cost was a misprint.

The store also had the PX-310 in stock, which boasts a bright (although small) LCD screen, about 180 new sounds, and a lot of other little extras. This keyboard was marked $600. This keyboard had the same great feel as the PX-110. After a little thought, I decided to go with the PX-310, mainly for the LCD screen , and loads of extra sounds and rhythms, incase I ever do want them.

Casio has never been known for its sounds, but this keyboard has a nice grand piano sample. It’s not going to compare to any highly refined Steinway samples you could come across, but for a $600 dollar device I was pretty impressed. The electric pianos are adequate, although nothing special. The biggest disappointment in sound was its strings. I couldn’t find one decent string sample in the board. Although the sounds are nothing to write home about, the reverb sounds very good, especially on the grand piano. I’ve recorded the Nocturne in E minor by Chopin to give an example of the grand piano with moderate reverb.

The included speakers are a disappointment. The sound is alright, even if it is slightly tinny. The problem is that crackling happens far too often once you turn the volume about ¾ of the way up and over. If you are going to be using this keyboard for regular playing and performing, you will have to buy a more powerful speaker solution.

The keyboard has 32 notes of polyphony, which is enough when just using one sound . However, when you start to layer sounds, you essentially have only 16 notes of polyphony. I found that notes got lost when I would combine sounds, especially when using a pedal. If you are using external sounds however, this is not an issue.

Overall I was impressed with the keyboard. Although the sounds aren’t anything to write home about, for $600 they compare with those of similarly priced keyboards. And, as mentioned before, the action is great. If you haven’t considered buying a Casio before, think again.

8/10

If you have any more questions, please ask.

BBS Signature

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:52:40

At 6/26/06 11:36 PM, Extremewookie wrote: Cause the other one just looked like an electric keyboard, not one you could hook up to the computer.

If you look at the back it has a midi in and out :P

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-26 23:55:03

David, I'd be interested in hearing the sample you recorded :)

Response to Piano audio software thing 2006-06-27 00:16:06

I'd be interested too if I could find it :).

If I can't, I'll re-record it for you, but only 'cause I like you.

BBS Signature