00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dream Theater Crew

101,152 Views | 1,520 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 11:14:01

Went CD shopping today, saw Octavarium on sale for £3.... couldn't help but buy it... not listened yet. But I don't really have high hopes... like I've said before, I prefer the Moore period of DT.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 11:17:08

At 10/3/06 01:30 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Favorite tracks:
Home (one of the best DT songs ever)

Hmm, I found that song a bit too slow, but alright.

The Dance Of Eternity (awesome ragtime solo)

Good instrumental song.

Finally Free

Another good song from Scenes from a Memory.

At 10/3/06 04:55 AM, DreamTheater wrote: I listened through Octavarium 50 times straight before I chose to listen to something else. Ask Bahamut, he thought i'd gone insane.

Yeah, you were fucking insane.

That's how I feel about Images and Words, and surprisingly Metropolis, Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper is my least favourite track by far...

Hahaha, you're gay! :P

I really think the reason I don't like Scenes From a Memory

There were a few crap songs on Scenes from a Memory. Good album overall, however.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 11:20:50

At 10/4/06 11:17 AM, Helloween wrote:
That's how I feel about Images and Words, and surprisingly Metropolis, Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper is my least favourite track by far...

I concur.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 14:43:05

At 10/4/06 11:17 AM, Helloween wrote:

Who's the one that's named after a band!.. oh wait...

There were a few crap songs on Scenes from a Memory. Good album overall, however.

I love how much you hate 'Through Her Eyes'

At 10/4/06 11:20 AM, Nev wrote: At 10/4/06 11:17 AM, Helloween wrote: Hahaha, you're gay! :P
I concur.

How do you have the nerve to concur when you said this... :O

At 10/4/06 11:14 AM, Nev wrote: saw Octavarium on sale couldn't help but buy it... I don't really have high hopes

You slag! It's like, the best DT album.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 15:36:51

At 10/4/06 02:43 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
saw Octavarium on sale couldn't help but buy it... I don't really have high hopes

No Kevin Moore... or no Derek Sherinian :(. They were only keyboardists, but the period they were with the band that wrote brilliant songs and obviously inspired something in Petrucci. Hence the reason nothing tops the brilliance of Metropolis and A Change of Seasons. Though I've not heard Scene's From A Memory. I'll make sure thats the next DT album I pick up.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 16:06:41

At 10/4/06 03:36 PM, Nev wrote: Though I've not heard Scene's From A Memory. I'll make sure thats the next DT album I pick up.

Octavarium, Images and Words and Awake are all a load better than it. It doesn't have that one stand out song in it either.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-04 17:09:05

At 10/2/06 01:42 PM, Helloween wrote:
At 10/2/06 06:11 AM, CowsCanFly wrote: Holy Fuck?!?!?! You don't have Train Of Thought?!?!?!
Hey hey hey, I also don't have Train of Thought yet, although I do plan to get that album very soon possibly with Octavarium as well. :P I can get both albums for about £13 together including postage. The rest of the DT albums will probably have to wait for now.

It's really too bad, this are just graet alboms!
I just bought:
Live Scenes from New York (Disc 1)
Live Scenes from New York (Disc 2)
Live Scenes from New York (Disc 3)
Once In A LIVEtime - Disc 1
Once In A LIVEtime - Disc 2

Now i have all the discogrphy of DT!!!!! no one can be happier!!!

I have the dvd of DT playing at budokan, hour and a half of DT LIVE!!!!!!!!!

You missed me?

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 15:37:20

I would just like to say sorry to Octavarium.... I had a little listen in the car (first three songs) and I was blown away. I think having low expectations helped.... but yeh, boy was I wrong. Its very much on par with the Moore/Sherinian era of DT. Rudass is off the hook.

I wanna listen to the rest of it... but I refuse to listen to a Dream Theater song (or any complex song) out of the left speaker only. Seeing as I'm gonna be missing out on the half the song (as most decent acts actually pan their songs... especially prog bands). Although my sexy 30w surround sound PC speakers should be coming soon (like tomorrow or Saturday).... w00t :D.

But yeah, sorry Octavarium *hugs*

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 15:42:34

At 10/4/06 02:43 PM, DreamTheater wrote: Who's the one that's named after a band!.. oh wait...

Helloween > You! BITCH!

I love how much you hate 'Through Her Eyes'

It sounds like a shitty pop song. No offence Dream Theater.

I'll try and get it tomorrow if I see it for £3 from Music Zone. If not, I'll kill whoever bought that one octavarium CD in MusicZone. XP

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 15:55:47

At 10/5/06 03:42 PM, Helloween wrote: I'll try and get it tomorrow if I see it for £3 from Music Zone. If not, I'll kill whoever bought that one octavarium CD in MusicZone. XP

I'll buy it for you cause I'm nice if you can't XD

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 16:00:20

At 10/5/06 03:42 PM, Helloween wrote: Helloween > You! BITCH!

I sincerely doubt that. Sincerely. Nine Inch Nails > Faith No More > Dream Theater > Helloween.

I'll try and get it tomorrow if I see it for £3 from Music Zone. If not, I'll kill whoever bought that one octavarium CD in MusicZone. XP
At 10/5/06 03:37 PM, Nev wrote: I would just like to say sorry to Octavarium.... I had a little listen in the car (first three songs) and I was blown away.

The Root of All Evil and These Walls are two of my favourites. I bought the album with only one DT song under my belt, 'Burning My Soul' from the Falling to Infinity album, which from what I can tell, is not prog in the slightest.

I think having low expectations helped.... but yeh, boy was I wrong. Its very much on par with the Moore/Sherinian era of DT. Rudass is off the hook.

I like his bald head.

I wanna listen to the rest of it... but I refuse to listen to a Dream Theater song (or any complex song) out of the left speaker only. Seeing as I'm gonna be missing out on the half the song (as most decent acts actually pan their songs... especially prog bands).

Yes I notice that in my mates car, the sound only comes out of the right speaker because he doesn't have a CD player, so he uses this tape thing that you plug into the speaker bit of a walkman; the wire is old and twisted and shitty, you know?

Although my sexy 30w surround sound PC speakers should be coming soon (like tomorrow or Saturday).... w00t :D.

You should get your dad to buy some speakers aswell, that way if yours bust again, you can use my backup plan ;D

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 16:10:42

At 10/5/06 04:00 PM, DreamTheater wrote: I sincerely doubt that. Sincerely. Nine Inch Nails > Faith No More > Dream Theater > Helloween.

Lol no... Kiske > Renzor.

You should get your dad to buy some speakers aswell, that way if yours bust again, you can use my backup plan ;D

My dad is a technophobic Welshman.... that'll never happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 16:16:29

At 10/5/06 03:42 PM, Helloween wrote:
It sounds like a shitty pop song. No offence Dream Theater.

Yeah like Anna Lee...

You missed me?

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 16:54:28

At 10/5/06 04:10 PM, Nev wrote: Lol no... Kiske > Renzor.

That cut me deep.
Kursch > all.

My dad is a technophobic Welshman.... that'll never happen.

Buy him some for Christmas :p

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-05 17:07:33

At 10/5/06 04:54 PM, DreamTheater wrote: Kursch > all.

I'm not gonna deny that :).

Buy him some for Christmas :p

To be honest I don't really like him. He's an arse 95% of the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-06 09:33:59

At 10/5/06 04:00 PM, DreamTheater wrote: I sincerely doubt that. Sincerely. Nine Inch Nails > Faith No More > Dream Theater > Helloween.

Shut up bitch!

And yes, I did get Octavarium from MusicZone. There was enough of those CDs on sale for me, so I easily got the CD! :D Yay, now the next Dream Theater album I plan to get is Train of Thought. :)

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-06 15:47:11

At 10/6/06 09:33 AM, Helloween wrote: Shut up bitch!

NO!

Yay, now the next Dream Theater album I plan to get is Train of Thought. :)

Meeh tooh.

At 10/5/06 05:07 PM, Nev wrote:
At 10/5/06 04:54 PM, DreamTheater wrote: Kursch > all.
I'm not gonna deny that :).

I didn't think you would.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-06 16:50:41

At 10/6/06 03:47 PM, DreamTheater wrote: I didn't think you would.

Still, Tobias Sammet > Hansi XD.... maybe.. I dunno.... they're equal. But Hansi has more balls.

And I listened to some more Octavarium in the car (no speakers yet) and during the songs Panic Attack and Never Enough I had this great sense of pride... cause some of the greatest musicians ever, and the greatest Prog Metal band ever, have resorted to completely ripping off homegrown Prog talent like Matthew Bellamy.... I'm so proud...

... Proud?..
... Proud!

Yeah...

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 05:29:09

At 10/6/06 03:47 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
At 10/6/06 09:33 AM, Helloween wrote:
Meeh tooh.

I already have it... LOL it ROCKS!!! (metals...)

You missed me?

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 05:58:09

At 10/6/06 03:47 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
Meeh tooh.

Or maybe I'll get A Change of Seasons if I can still see it in Virgin for £7.

At 10/6/06 04:50 PM, Nev wrote: And I listened to some more Octavarium in the car (no speakers yet) and during the songs Panic Attack and Never Enough I had this great sense of pride...

I like The Root of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack and 12:00 - 20:00 of Octavarium.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 07:22:42

At 10/6/06 04:50 PM, Nev wrote: Yeah...

I thought Never Enough reminded me of Muse : < I guess I wasn't wrong.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 09:06:29

At 10/7/06 05:58 AM, Helloween wrote: I like The Root of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack and 12:00 - 20:00 of Octavarium.

I never said I didn't like.. just that its horribly ripping off Muse.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 09:34:07

After 20-30 years of good music it's hard to make something completely original. There are a lot of coinsidences out there. But it wouldn't suprise me if Muse ripped them off. I was actually going to kill myself when I realised I sort of liked Muse. Now I don't have to.

>:(

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 09:36:39

Sorry I didn't realise what was said. DT actually ripped sum1 off? Weird.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 09:51:23

At 10/7/06 09:34 AM, Phantom-Lord wrote: But it wouldn't suprise me if Muse ripped them off.

Difficult considering Stockholm Syndrome came out before Octavarium :S

LaBries voice rips of Matts, with the whole swirling high pitched softness thingy that Matt does.
Petrucci's riffs totally rip of Matts pedal-steelish, single note riffery.
And Rudess's synthy keyboard ascension/decension is just a perfect copy of Stockholm Syndrome.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 09:59:32

At 10/7/06 09:06 AM, Nev wrote: I never said I didn't like.. just that its horribly ripping off Muse.

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! This is making me want to try listening to other Muse songs. Please, I don't want to get into them, I don't like them at all. Also, I was just saying which songs from Octavarium I liked. I do like Never Enough as well.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 10:18:30

I agree with Bahamut.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 11:44:18

I agree with Helloween.

You missed me?

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 11:52:08

I agree with CowsCanFly.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-10-07 11:56:00

I agree with Bahumut lol