00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dream Theater Crew

101,147 Views | 1,520 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:35:18

Ok, so I did a search for a few minutes on the BBS and I couldn't find any clubs, or anything for that matter, that had anything to do with Dream Theater. They're an amazing band. If you enjoy their music as much as I do, please join up! First 3 slots filled will be officers, for no apparent reason. I just want some fellow fans to chat with about their techniques and instruments used, and to talk about any experiences with them in concert.

RULES (the same as any other club/crew):
1. No spamming.
2. Keep the discussion friendly, please.
3. No flaming, and please don't post if you aren't a member.

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:42:29

May I join? Dream Theater are awesome. I have listened to all of thier albums several times, and own almost all of them.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:52:56

Welcome aboard! You shall be the vice president, for no apparent reason!

Yeah, Dream Theater are so cool. What amazes me is the virtuoso musicianship. I am listening to The Glass Prison right now, and it's just amazing me. So, what's your favourite album by them? And what's your favourite song? I'd have to say favourite album is Scenes From a Memory, and my favourite song being The Dance of Eternity. I don't know why, except for it was the first time I'd ever heard them.

I hope we get some more people. :P

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:55:17

Though this belongs in the Metal Hell. I'll join anyway since I love Dream Theater.
Petrucci, Myung, Moore and Portnoy are amazing! (Fuck it, and LaBrie too).... they're all gods!

Although I only own Images And Words at the moment (I have loads of downloaded songs), I plan on getting Awake, A Change of Seasons and Metropolis Part II.... once I can afford them that is.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:58:31

I bought Images and Words yesterday and I think it's a good album. Just need to listen to it a few more times to remember all of the songs. But my favourite songs from that album are Pull Me Under and Metropolis, Pt 1. I'm not sure which Dream Theater album I'll get next. Either Awake or Octovarium.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:58:34

Cool! Welcome aboard, -Nev-! I thought about posting about them in Metal Hell, but I really don't think that Dream Theater is just another metal band.

Ok, so -Nev- is another vice president. Haha, totally pointless ranking system, since I will be controlling ALL! Just kidding. :)

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 09:59:48

Favorite albums are 'Train of Thought' and 'Scenes from a Memory'. They're two of the best I think. My favorite song would have to be 'A Change of Seasons'. That song is a friggen masterpiece. If I had to choose one song to sum up Dream Theater it would be that song because it contains all of what Dream Theater does. Slow parts, heavy parts, face melting solos, several time signiture changes, conceptual lyrics and wiked vocals.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:00:19

Bahamut, are you joining too? Just want to keep tabs on who is in the crew. :P

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:00:34

At 6/16/06 09:55 AM, -Nev- wrote: Though this belongs in the Metal Hell

Discussion would probably be on-topic there, but there's nothing wrong with a club for a specific band if there is enough traffic.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:05:09

At 6/16/06 09:58 AM, Bahamut- wrote: I bought Images and Words yesterday and I think it's a good album. Just need to listen to it a few more times to remember all of the songs. But my favourite songs from that album are Pull Me Under and Metropolis, Pt 1. I'm not sure which Dream Theater album I'll get next. Either Awake or Octovarium.

Apparently Awake is their best. With Images and Words in second. But thats just general opinion.

At 6/16/06 09:59 AM, insert_pie wrote: Favorite albums are 'Train of Thought' and 'Scenes from a Memory'. They're two of the best I think. My favorite song would have to be 'A Change of Seasons'. That song is a friggen masterpiece. If I had to choose one song to sum up Dream Theater it would be that song because it contains all of what Dream Theater does. Slow parts, heavy parts, face melting solos, several time signiture changes, conceptual lyrics and wiked vocals.

I think A Change of Seasons would be my favourite song too. I was listening to it a bit ago and theres like 1000 different riffs in there. All of which are totally amazing.
I'm sure Petrucci just wants to take the piss out of other guitarists in the way he thinks.

'Hey, I just wrote a cool riff. Lets only use it twice in a 23 minute song so its totally insignificant.'

Where as the same riff for another band would write an entire song on its on.

Metropolis is also another favourite of mine. Cause the keyboard solo in that is just out of this world.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:06:39

At 6/16/06 10:00 AM, Graeme_W wrote: Bahamut, are you joining too? Just want to keep tabs on who is in the crew. :P

I know you said not to post if you are not a member, but I don't feel I should join this crew yet if I only own one of their albums. I would really like it if I got some recommendations on which album to get next if Awake or Octavarium aren't the ones I should think about getting yet.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:10:09

At 6/16/06 10:06 AM, Bahamut- wrote: I know you said not to post if you are not a member, but I don't feel I should join this crew yet if I only own one of their albums.

I'm sure owning one album puts you in a greater position to call yourself a fan than people who've only downloaded a few songs.
The fact you're willing to spend money on a band is always a good sign. Plus you're interested in getting more albums.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:11:18

At 6/16/06 10:06 AM, Bahamut- wrote:
I know you said not to post if you are not a member, but I don't feel I should join this crew yet if I only own one of their albums. I would really like it if I got some recommendations on which album to get next if Awake or Octavarium aren't the ones I should think about getting yet.

Personally, I think you're safest getting 'Scenes from a Memory' which is often considered their finest peice of work. 'A Change of Seasons' isn't really an album. It's a 23 minute long song along with some covers they played at a club one night. If you can't find 'Scenes from a Memory' I'd go with 'Train of Thought' if you're really into the metal side of Drem Theater, but if you like a more prog sound, '6 degrees of Inner Turbulance' would be my strongest reccomendation.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:23:41

Thanks, JonThomson! I'm glad we get to keep the thread.

Yeah, I love Scenes From a Memory for some reason. It's eery and contemplative, and I love that. Great music. This band is amazing. Have you guys ever checked out their live session that people have taped and put up on YouTube? They're amazing. Some fans go crazy enough to actually nail Petrucci's insane solos.

Yeah, owning an album of theirs is a good sign. It's tons better than the retards who post saying, "I downloaded one song, THEY'RE MY FAVOURITE BAND EVER!!!1"
Yeah, "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is a great album. Very prog, very good.

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:25:54

Sorry to sound 'noobish' but how do I put a link in my sig that says 'Dream Theater Crew"?

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:32:58

At 6/16/06 10:10 AM, -Nev- wrote: I'm sure owning one album puts you in a greater position to call yourself a fan than people who've only downloaded a few songs.
The fact you're willing to spend money on a band is always a good sign. Plus you're interested in getting more albums.

Yeah, you do have a good point about that. I still don't feel I should actually join with just one album of theirs, but I think you people don't mind, so I'll join.

At 6/16/06 10:11 AM, insert_pie wrote: Personally, I think you're safest getting 'Scenes from a Memory' which is often considered their finest peice of work.

That album I was thinking of getting as well since Metropolis, Pt 1 is my favourite Dream Theater song at the moment. I love how the instruments are used in that song. The bass, the drums and the guitars. It does make me laugh a bit.

At 6/16/06 10:23 AM, Graeme_W wrote: Yeah, "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is a great album. Very prog, very good.

What's the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence song like? I know it's 42 minutes long which is to me a really crazy track length.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:38:46

At 6/16/06 10:32 AM, Bahamut- wrote:
What's the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence song like? I know it's 42 minutes long which is to me a really crazy track length.

I don't think it's as good as 'A Change of Seasons' but it is still a damn awesome song. '6 degrees of Inner Turbulance' is a double disk album, 6 degrees the 42 minute song on one disk, and something like 6 songs on the other. The other songs are most excelent, with my personal favorites "Dissapear" and "The Glass Prison".

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:40:40

At 6/16/06 10:32 AM, Bahamut- wrote: I love how the instruments are used in that song. The bass, the drums and the guitars. It does make me laugh a bit.

And the keyboard. Which is just wrong! I hate Moore and his talent!

At 6/16/06 10:23 AM, Graeme_W wrote: Yeah, "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is a great album. Very prog, very good.

Its Two Disc's isn't it? One is kinda normal album and the second disc is just one 42 minute song?
I've only heard Glass Prison from it, and I'm not too keen on that song. It sounds 'Dream Theater for the sake of being Dream Theater.' Too cliché if you will.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 10:41:26

At 6/16/06 10:32 AM, Bahamut- wrote:
At 6/16/06 10:10 AM, -Nev- wrote: I'm sure owning one album puts you in a greater position to call yourself a fan than people who've only downloaded a few songs.
Yeah, you do have a good point about that. I still don't feel I should actually join with just one album of theirs, but I think you people don't mind, so I'll join.

Welcome aboard!

At 6/16/06 10:11 AM, insert_pie wrote: Personally, I think you're safest getting 'Scenes from a Memory' which is often considered their finest peice of work.
That album I was thinking of getting as well since Metropolis, Pt 1 is my favourite Dream Theater song at the moment. I love how the instruments are used in that song. The bass, the drums and the guitars. It does make me laugh a bit.

It's really good. "The Glass Prison" is just amazing. Petrucci goes insane on his solos. It's fun for the whole family. :P

Ok, so the members are as follows...
Myself
Insert_Pie
-Nev-
Bahamut-

YAY, we have 4 people!

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 13:09:48

At 6/16/06 09:55 AM, -Nev- wrote: Though this belongs in the Metal Hell.

key words:
metal, hell

i'm not too sure about that..
by the way, I don't want to start a fight, i'm just not into this band.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 13:35:24

At 6/16/06 01:09 PM, xboyonfirex wrote: i'm not too sure about that..

Dream Theater are Prog Metal.
Keyword:
Metal

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 15:33:13

At 6/16/06 10:38 AM, insert_pie wrote: I don't think it's as good as 'A Change of Seasons' but it is still a damn awesome song.

I guess that song is only from the EP. I won't mind getting an EP if it's got some good things on it like the song that doesn't seem to be on any of the actual albums.

At 6/16/06 10:25 AM, insert_pie wrote: Sorry to sound 'noobish' but how do I put a link in my sig that says 'Dream Theater Crew"?

Looks at this!

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 16:10:40

At 6/16/06 03:33 PM, Bahamut- wrote: I guess that song is only from the EP. I won't mind getting an EP if it's got some good things on it like the song that doesn't seem to be on any of the actual albums.

Well think of it as a short live album + the greatest rock/metal composition ever.
Seriously, A Change of Seasons is just amazing.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-16 16:50:42

At 6/16/06 01:09 PM, xboyonfirex wrote:
At 6/16/06 09:55 AM, -Nev- wrote: Though this belongs in the Metal Hell.
key words:
metal, hell

i'm not too sure about that..

Why did you post here, then? I specificallz stated in the first post not to post here unless it's relevant to discussing Dream Theater as a fan. Kthxbai.

:sigh
~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-17 20:42:21

Does anyone know what type of bass Myung uses? and what type of guitar is used by Petrucci? For some reason, I cannot find it. And do any of you guys play instruments? I play bass. Fretless bass. :P

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-18 08:42:10

At 6/17/06 08:42 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Does anyone know what type of bass Myung uses? and what type of guitar is used by Petrucci? For some reason, I cannot find it. And do any of you guys play instruments? I play bass. Fretless bass. :P

~Graeme

I think Myung uses a six-string Warwick of some kind.
In the early days Petrucci used Ibanez (RGs I think) exclusively.
Now though he has his own signature Ernie Ball Music Man.

I play guitar and bass :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-18 10:52:31

Cool, thanks -Nev- for the info. I knew it was a 6-string, but was unsure of the make. Dream Theater is really becoming a relaxing way to end the day for me. Recently, I've been just lying in bed listening to them for like an hour and then I sleep really well. :)

~Graeme

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-24 11:57:55

I bought Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes from a Memory. It was £7 at Virgin today, so I thought I should get it now since it's at a low price. I've listened to the album. There are some songs I really like such as Overture 1928 and The Dance of Eternity, but overall, I thought the album was good, but quite weird. I thought some songs sounded a bit nu metal or pop-ish. :S The last song as well was a bit weird when it got to around 10 minutes.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-24 13:59:53

Hehe, that's my favourite album. Yeah, Finally Free is a weird song. I like the very end, when you hear creaking and the hypnotherapist says, "Open your eyes, Nicholas." And you hear, "AHH!" Then the record just keep scratching. The cool thing is, that scratching carries over to "The Glass Prison" in their next CD. I love that.

Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-06-28 09:10:54

At 6/24/06 01:59 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Hehe, that's my favourite album. Yeah, Finally Free is a weird song. I like the very end, when you hear creaking and the hypnotherapist says, "Open your eyes, Nicholas." And you hear, "AHH!" Then the record just keep scratching. The cool thing is, that scratching carries over to "The Glass Prison" in their next CD. I love that.

And the last sound from 6 degrees' carries on to the start of Train of Thought. The last sound on Train of Thought doesn't quite carry on to Octavarium, but it's the same note, it's played on piano insted. Unfortunately, the last note on Octavarium is the same as the first on the album, but it's a wiked idea to have those few albums linked like that. It's the subtle things like that which make me like Dream Theater even more.