00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Big News for Reviews!

27,742 Views | 212 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:36:14

For a while now, one of our big issues has been abusive reviewers. You know who I'm talking about - those jerks who discourage Flash artists by having nothing but mean things to say about Portal submissions.

LilJim has just finished a new feature to address this! You can now rate individual reviews as you read them. There are only three choices - you either find it helpful, not helpful, or you find it downright abusive.

Remember, just because a review is negative does not mean that it is not helpful or that it is abusive. A review is only abusive if it fails to address anything at all that could be of use to the author, and merely slanders him for no good reason. A negative review is still able to be helpful, by bringing flaws to an authors attention. There is a difference between a negative (helpful or not) review and an evil, nasty (abusive) review.

If you feel a review is vague or doesn't make any good points, you are welcome to say it was not helpful. We are hoping this new system will encourage more constructive reviews, while at the same time helping us pinpoint abusive users, so we can deal with them more efficiently.

We hope everyone enjoys the new system!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:38:33

wow, great idea tom, time for the authors to strike back! first post woot

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:40:03

yay im first! :)

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:43:43

Great idea to encourage better reviews. And it will probably help the artists to.

Good Job

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:45:25

Good job Tom ;)
I still don´t get it, how people have to write stuff like "IM FIRST!" or something similar...keep up the good work of sorting aut the l@m3rZ (Lamers) from the community :D

Big News for Reviews!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:45:41

hmm... dont you think that maybe there's too much rules on newgrounds? i mean, i am a supporter of all these of what we want to say or do. i believe that everyone has the right to say "fuck you" to whoever they want to say it to. if a dude thinks the flash is crap, then he's entitled to rant and rave on how bad it is. a fine example will be dragonballz crap. tis true! dont anyone notice that dragonballz is so damn repeative and tends to be so overcooked, that it doesn't have any flavor? doesn't that rip off all the storylines and makes us want to turn the flash off? i prefer to cuss and rave and maim and do whatever the fuck my mind and instincts want me to say or do.

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:45:57

Err...It's okay I guess, but would the one review be deleted or not. I mean not many people care?

BBS Signature

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:45:57

hahaha awesome. Bring on the zeros now bitches!

BBS Signature

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:52:22

Great idea!
Now I was wondering if you could put the 1-5 voting panel (or just text) in the window with the movie. Because when I watch a movie, while its loading, I click off its portal page and look for something else; meaning I would have to go back to the movie's portal page to vote for it. This is quite annoying. Anything you could do.

BestZest

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:52:42

a good feature! thanks!!!

can't i rate responses aswell?

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:55:31

At 2/11/03 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: We hope everyone enjoys the new system!

It fucking rocks, well done liljim

fucking good idea and its just another thing which makes newgrounds even better

"tit

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:55:41

WOW.

Now we are rating reviews....
whats next Blam points for reviews?
I can see it now.

(Review of movie)
the Movie lacked something.
-the reviewer.

will result in this:

(Review of Review)
While stating the obvious you were quite vage in what the movie was lacking, Therefore I will have to
blam this review.
-the View reviewer reviewer.

Thanks NG, Now I have some more stuff to look forward while i watch crap, and read about the crap, and then a review of the review of crap...

And the cycle continues =)

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 16:56:49

WOW this will come in handy, great job NG STAFF...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:02:29

All this system is goin to do is scare review voters. Ever since you gay zero tolerance thing, I have been scared to vot 0 on entries! I still have been on really crappy ones and i usually get a blam point, but im still scared a little, if i vote 0 and find out the score is like 3.00 bcuz the person got all there little friends to vote 5!!

People who say some reviews are abusive or not helpful when most people thing that it is, Wade will probably go ahead and send tham a warning! Also, i bet the stupid people who just review..."that sux"...or "TBLAMO"...or"I hope you die" Will not stop!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:06:39

What the hell is going on with all this new rules at NG, can we just go back to the orginal one?

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:07:06

when's the multi-author system gonna make an appearence

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:14:35

OH!!! and, will there be rankings ? like.. most useful rankings 1.2.3.4 like popular profiles? that wud be soooo cool! that way, we can see who's giving the best and helpful reviews!!!!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:14:36

I understand what your say but sometime the person is just try to say that the maker need to get better or else he will keep getting low scores on there stuff & no one want a continuous record of low scores

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:21:38

Well, SESSNET is going to be happy, thats for sure... Now I can report the million dicks who gave me death threats for Chuck Shit at Avril.

i loved that game, avril sucks... lol. im up to level 20 something. hahha

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:25:08

It's good to see Newgrounds focusing on bringing order to the community. It's really stupid how some people see all these new rules as some sort of dictature. That's not how it is! All that Tom and the rest of the NG crew are asking for is that you take responsibilty for what you do and say on Newgrounds, so stop whining just because you can't have your fun and talk dirt about people's work.

Hopefully this will encourage me to write more constructive critisism as well, I think I've been a little too hard on people myself from time to time.

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:29:10

At 2/11/03 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: We hope everyone enjoys the new system!

Everyone except the people who likes putting pointless negative reviews which is 1/3 the peeps in newgrounds!blahhahahhahaahahahah!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:31:06

make that 5/6.

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:32:50

It's a start. *Not the First*

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:37:40

Brillant idea! This will hopefully encourage the authors. I just don't get something. Reviews that are declared abusive will be removed or what?

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:38:07

LilJim just keeps getting on my good side with all the stuff he does.

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:42:49

What's with all the new rules and regulations on Newgrounds? Isn't this site supposed to epitomize counterculture and the right to say "fuck you" to whoever we want to? Isn't that the reason most of us come here, for a break away from all the rules we have to follow in real life? Hell, I think this site is showing signs of political correctness! Newgrounds! Birthplace of Club A Seal! Just think about that!

Wake up, Tom! Don't turn this site into a bureacracy!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:43:00

Newgrounds just keeps improving and improving.
thanks for the info Tom, and my props go out to liljim
for the good work.

Big News for Reviews!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:43:23

At 2/11/03 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: For a while now, one of our big issues has been abusive reviewers. You know who I'm talking about - those jerks who discourage Flash artists by having nothing but mean things to say about Portal submissions.

Man, I hate those. There are also some who say pointless things. Just look at what this fool said about a submission of mine:

o ho you didn't January 29, 2003
Reviewed by: blackmidgitpenis Overall rating: 0
chockmunk monkey don't like to pooooop 302-934-8781 ask for shelly andgary gonna give you a fist job
Graphics: 0 Sound: 0 Interactivity: 0 Style: 0 Violence: 0 Humor: 0

And the guy reviewed all the other submissions he decided to review the same way. Guys like those should be blammed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:45:32

As usual, some people don't seem to get the point to this, so I'll try and explain why this should be a good thing:

Some users repeatedly curse out authors they don't like who upload sunmissions, or just waste their life writing "lkjsabdflkajvbv !!!" in their reviews. This has a negative affect on most authors, who're interested in hearing what people have to say about their submissions - they shouldn't have to cut through crap like this to get to something of legibility.

Along with flagging these "bad" reviews, this feature serves another purpose - imagine coming across a fictitious submission, "Xiao Xiao 99999". You've seen the other Xiao Xiao movies, and you're on a 56K modem. Someone writes in a review:

"This was really great, but I'm on a 56Kb connection and there wasn't enough new stuff in there to justify the 5Mb download."

99/100 people found this fictitious review helpful. If you were on a 56Kb connection, would you bother loading something like that up (unless you are a die-hard Xiao Xiao fan, of course :)), or would you think, "Hrm, I'll come back to this when I have DSL."?

I know what I'd do.

As for the Multi-Author stuff - I have been working on this, but it is a big project, so don't expect things to happen overnight. :)

Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-11 17:52:20

The only people who hate this new law are afraid of anybody messing with their 'reviewer power trips.' The lights were off, and slowly they're turning on. Watch the rats run for cover!!!

There's an old saying...... "If you don't have anything decent to say in a review......SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"