00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Java: Main

23,501 Views | 110 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 09:50:18

JAVA:

Beginner:
Java: Embeding Into Html Documents by doodle_flash

Intermediate:
Java: Simple Paint Program by doodle_flash

Advanced:
None.

If there is anything wrong about this list or there is a bug let me know. Keep on posting those tutorials. We can always use more :)

also, yea, doodle_flash, if it is almost over, you can update it. if i miss the top of the page lol

Hello, from the past!

[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 10:34:32

At 6/8/06 06:38 AM, Momo_the_Monkey wrote:
hey, i search the NG BBS and i didn't find any java or j/s mains. So nobobdy has done this before. Anyway i have a lot of tutorials that i know could be done. This wasn't a bad idea and if you help out it could become something great.

Yes java main was a sugestion before.. but it wasn't that popular..

Well anyway i might whip up some javascript tutorial :) This is a god idea and its strange it wasn't done earlier..

Good that you made one momo :)

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 10:50:18

Ho sorry didn't see that you excluded JS :( ... oh well, i might do some java tutorials of basic stuff.. like those that unit_243b mentioned.

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:14:30

At 6/8/06 10:50 AM, seel wrote: Ho sorry didn't see that you excluded JS :( ... oh well, i might do some java tutorials of basic stuff.. like those that unit_243b mentioned.

ya, nobody liked that idea. and yes, those tutorials are much needed as you can see we have 2.....lol

At 6/8/06 10:34 AM, seel wrote:
Yes java main was a sugestion before.. but it wasn't that popular..

Well anyway i might whip up some javascript tutorial :) This is a god idea and its strange it wasn't done earlier..

Good that you made one momo :)

Thankyou, i'm glad your happy, oh, and i didn't see that one. guess i missed it....oh well.

yes it is strange, i have no idea what people where thinking ;)

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:46:51

I think what we should do, to keep from overwhelming the forum with Java topics, is come up with a list of proposed tutorials. Then, one by one, an author can assign him/herself to each tutorial, and write it. Once the tutorial is finished, it's checked for correctness by another author. After that, the author can move on to another tutorial. That way, theres less of a chance to make mistakes. This is just a rough idea, and a thought. If you guys don't like that, it's fine.

And yes, having a program as a tutorial is good, but it must demonstrate a concept and be well documented to be effective. Like the paint program one is okay, because users can take that and add things to it themselves.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:56:10

At 6/8/06 11:46 AM, unit_243b wrote: I think what we should do, to keep from overwhelming the forum with Java topics, is come up with a list of proposed tutorials. Then, one by one, an author can assign him/herself to each tutorial, and write it. Once the tutorial is finished, it's checked for correctness by another author. After that, the author can move on to another tutorial. That way, theres less of a chance to make mistakes. This is just a rough idea, and a thought. If you guys don't like that, it's fine.

And yes, having a program as a tutorial is good, but it must demonstrate a concept and be well documented to be effective. Like the paint program one is okay, because users can take that and add things to it themselves.

that is in fact a good idea. Also, we should make the tutorials on a txt document or something so we can edit it (unlike the bbs) and then when it's fixed, the original author post it.

Ok, let's start making a list of tutorials that we need. But becareful about how much you post because i will have to post the updated list at the top of the next page. So post wisely.

Java tutorials...any suggestions?

i don't have any right off the back of my hand but i guess i could come up with some. just hang on a couple of posts or somehting

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:57:02

At 6/8/06 11:46 AM, unit_243b wrote:
I think what we should do, to keep from overwhelming the forum with Java topics, is come up with a list of proposed tutorials. Then, one by one, an author can assign him/herself to each tutorial, and write it. Once the tutorial is finished, it's checked for correctness by another author. After that, the author can move on to another tutorial. That way, theres less of a chance to make mistakes. This is just a rough idea, and a thought. If you guys don't like that, it's fine.

good idea! I have already started on a "Java: arrays" tutorial, you might add me to MSN and you can have a look at it when its done.

lol i have only been using java for a few weeks but im pretty good at it anyway ^^

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:58:34

can you add me too? What's your IM and here's mine caebli3@hotmail.com

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 11:59:38

Okay, first off, who will maintain the txt file? How will the authors access it?
How will in progress tutorials be distributed? Email? Probably.
We can flex ng's new pm system to send review requests and approvals, and just send the text files via email.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:02:15

K, so far we have doodle, momo, myself, and seel as authors. We basically need a list to establish the reviewers, so that way anybody can write a tutorial from a public list of proposed topics; they just need to know who to submit it to to be reviewed.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:05:40

Okay added you momo..

Well email/MSN would be best. But the PM system would work to. Well we could just send the files to one other person and let that one look at it, like with the one im makeing now, i might send it to momo and let him look at it and then he might fix it a litle and send it back and then like make the thread.. Sounds like a good system to me.

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:14:15

At 6/8/06 12:02 PM, unit_243b wrote: K, so far we have doodle, momo, myself, and seel as authors. We basically need a list to establish the reviewers, so that way anybody can write a tutorial from a public list of proposed topics; they just need to know who to submit it to to be reviewed.

Sounds good. I will post all of the compiled tutorials in a list at the beginning of each page so everyone knows what's the what. please don't try to do this part for me. I have a txt file saved (which no one can access) that has all the links ready for me to post. Please don't do it because you will miss the top of the page and then we will have 2 lists of tutorials

At 6/8/06 11:59 AM, unit_243b wrote: Okay, first off, who will maintain the txt file?:

I can maintain the txt files but we only need them until you post it on the bbs.

How will the authors access it?

Email and MSN

How will in progress tutorials be distributed? Email? Probably.

yup that or MSN

We can flex ng's new pm system to send review requests and approvals, and just send the text files via email.

That sounds like a good idea.

ALSO i need every1's msn's's so i know who you are if you go about messaging my "HEY d00d"

i might end up blocking you if you do that. so give me your screenname and MSN account

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:20:42

My msn: terrible_1_91@hotmail.com
erm screen name?? (im from sweden doh!)
well its either seel (My alias) or Daniel (My IRL name..) probably..

So whay exactly did you mean with that momo that you post all the compiled tutorials? Are you going to post the ones that we make? We should probably talk about this kinda stuff on MSN instead of filling this thread..

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:22:05

I don't use any instant messengers, so you would have to get me through email.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:24:25

what's your email then?

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 12:45:59

we need to start a list of tutorials that authors can write. Any one want to start the list for us?

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 13:09:16

Heres my one on arrays, Java: arrays http://www.newground../topic.php?id=501222

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 14:00:17

At 6/8/06 12:24 PM, Momo_the_Monkey wrote: what's your email then?

click my alias in my profile

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 14:00:52

that goes straight to PM

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 14:14:45

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 23:36:06

comon guys, we need good tutorials and good requests. Anyone?

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-08 23:46:41

At 6/8/06 11:36 PM, Momo_the_Monkey wrote: comon guys, we need good tutorials and good requests. Anyone?

Yeah, sorry, but I don't know Java. So I am out of the running for writing them.

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 00:16:21

well...here's some ideas. some are from my post before.

Java: Data Types, Wrapper classes, and the Math class.
Java: String Basics
Java: Object-Oriented design.
Java: The Enhanced for Loop
Java: Applets (big one)
Java: .jar Archives
Java: Event Handling
Java: GUI Basics
Java: Basic Graphics Classes
Java: JPanel & Animation Updating
Java: Threads
Java: Text File I/O
Java: Data File I/O
Java: Exception Handling with try-catch Blocks
Java: Javadoc and Standard Syle Conventions

just to name a few...yeah...most are pretty useful.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 00:18:32

that should get it started lol. So, Everyone! Start filliing out those tutorials

or do a one of your own. Either way, be creative ;)

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 00:20:57

At 6/9/06 12:18 AM, Momo_the_Monkey wrote: that should get it started lol. So, Everyone! Start filliing out those tutorials

make sure they are approved before posting them though. they should look professional, and contain absolutely NO errors. also, make sure the tutorial flows with a logical structure, as opposed to just spewing out everything you know.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 00:27:17

At 6/9/06 12:20 AM, unit_243b wrote:
At 6/9/06 12:18 AM, Momo_the_Monkey wrote: that should get it started lol. So, Everyone! Start filliing out those tutorials

make sure they are approved before posting them though. they should look professional, and contain absolutely NO errors. also, make sure the tutorial flows with a logical structure, as opposed to just spewing out everything you know.

actually, if it sucks i won't add it to the thing is all. It' no problem, and if it does have errors we can always point them out and fix them in later posts. It's not the end of the world if we have posted errors. We're human. nobody's (but God) perfect.

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 12:04:04

At 6/8/06 11:46 AM, unit_243b wrote: And yes, having a program as a tutorial is good, but it must demonstrate a concept and be well documented to be effective. Like the paint program one is okay, because users can take that and add things to it themselves.

i made a paint program because people that are new to java dont want to read arrays tutorials and variables tutorials blah blah and try and make something of there own.
they need to get a program, use tutorials like arrays and variables to work out what each bit of the code does and edit it according to what they want the function to be.
i'm not saying that arrays and variables tutorials are bad, infact they are VERY usefull for more intermediate programmers.

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 13:27:26

At 6/9/06 12:04 PM, doodle_flash wrote:
At 6/8/06 11:46 AM, unit_243b wrote: And yes, having a program as a tutorial is good, but it must demonstrate a concept and be well documented to be effective. Like the paint program one is okay, because users can take that and add things to it themselves.
i made a paint program because people that are new to java dont want to read arrays tutorials and variables tutorials blah blah and try and make something of there own.
they need to get a program, use tutorials like arrays and variables to work out what each bit of the code does and edit it according to what they want the function to be.
i'm not saying that arrays and variables tutorials are bad, infact they are VERY usefull for more intermediate programmers.

Intermediate programmers. not the n00bies though. But yea he's right. People that are new to java don't want to learn about arrays for variables and crap. They have no use for that stuff. They want to learn the stuff that's big that they'll use.

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 13:33:24

Ok, If you are going to make a tutorial, make sure you have it right before you post it to the bbs. If it isn't completely right and you just noticed right after you have posted, reply to the message with the right thing.

comon, someone post something, i have to leave like in 2 mins and i need to post at the top of the next page which is 2 posts away, so someone post something!!!

Hello, from the past!

BBS Signature

Response to Java: Main 2006-06-09 13:39:12

I think this is a very good idea. I would help, but i don't know anything about java ;)