00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What went wrong with the internet?

925 Views | 5 Replies

Seriously, what went wrong with the internet that you end up getting rules like this - "9. Don't be an emo bitch/fag who whines. It's just annoying and if you do post emo shit you will get banned or suspended. "OMG I CNAT DARW 4 SHIET OMG I R GOENG 2 CUT MY WRISTS :'( ""?

The internet has become with big frat house for pretentious "tough guy" teens, trolls, and power tripping mods who could care less about actually diffusing a situation as long as they look important and useful.

Most messageboards have a massive liberal/con split in the middle that causes any political forums to be flamed to death.

It didn't always use to be this way, though. Believe it or not, the internet used to have a sense of community.

Of course, thanks to the invention of "lol internet", people have "good reason" not to take the internet seriously. I say that you take a laid back approach to the internet in more of less the opposite way it is now. After all, if nobody cares about communities, how are they going to hold together? But if you're going to be uptight about cliques and forum ettiquette, where's the fun? Like many things today, the internet is topsy turvy.

It's all FUCKIN' EMOS and flamewars and lol g-lines. Even adult forums have become very irresponsible and abusive towards anyone who doesn't act as conservative as they do; which is annoying because they keep citing how this person is only 16 years old but well liked and accepted, because they can act "mature"(i.e. has no personality and is a suckup), of course it's not JUST an age thing, it's a conservative thing. Growing up is not the same as being mature. Most "grown ups" online are just elitist idiots who act more boring.
It's the same "know your place" attitude as many people have to gay people and the like in real life.

I know a lot of people here are in defense of the messy-yet-viciously-authoratarian state the internet is in, but I'd like to hear an actual REAL logical defense for the internet being that way, and not the same "My board, my rules" rubbish that shouldn't apply since you can't really "own" a community anyway, only a server that you donate to the community.

We view authoratarianism as a "bad thing" in real life, so why are forums online so strict? And why has it, at the end of the day, done nothing to stop the sheer amount of trolling, as most trolls get off light since only the reactants get banned?

Why has the internet become so crap?

Response to What went wrong with the internet? 2006-05-16 15:03:27

At 5/16/06 02:47 PM, Penal_Disturbance wrote:
It's all FUCKIN' EMOS

Emo is a genre of music.

Anyway... The internet is shit because society is shit. People don't give a flying fuck what happens, so its going go over on the internet.

Response to What went wrong with the internet? 2006-05-16 15:19:12

The answer is 42.

It's the answer to everything

Response to What went wrong with the internet? 2006-05-16 15:20:14

I think the whole rule that you can't use gay excessively as an insult are bullshit, but this is a business-based website. Tom Fulp and Wade decided that they would make these rules because they didn't want to lose any potential contributors who might get offended at what the kids on thsi forum. Also, emos are fucking annoying. I would never have gotten an account here if they were allowed to bitch and groan.

The Biseor.com forums were probably the closest think to free speech you could get on a message board. It was a political forum where anything was allowed. On it you could post goatse, racial slurs or just flame people for the hell of it and get away. It got shut-down by the leftwing-net-nazis who deemed his site was racist due to people on the political forum getting away with these words.

Response to What went wrong with the internet? 2006-05-16 15:21:21

At 5/16/06 03:16 PM, -LazyDrunk- wrote:
At 5/16/06 02:47 PM, Penal_Disturbance wrote: Why has the internet become so crap?
Pop-ups.

Advertising kills life. Commercialization encourages growth. Greed drives people away.

Ugh, that shit too.

"HELLO :P" "HELLO :P" "You make me blush! BITE ME!"

And just when everyone on the internet was complaining, "OMG MY GOD! NOO WAAAAAAAAY!".

I seriously don't know how it's legal for them to do what they do. It's a massive disturbance. There's a lot of advertising that just can't be legal, like ones that cover up your Myspace Music "Home" button for instance so you end up somewhere else.

Response to What went wrong with the internet? 2006-05-16 15:27:52

Also, emos are fucking annoying. I would never have gotten an account here if they were allowed to bitch and groan.

Can't you just IGNORE them? It's a lot easier to ignore people whining than it is to ignore than bashing you.

The Biseor.com forums were probably the closest think to free speech you could get on a message board. It was a political forum where anything was allowed. On it you could post goatse, racial slurs or just flame people for the hell of it and get away. It got shut-down by the leftwing-net-nazis who deemed his site was racist due to people on the political forum getting away with these words.

Good gods, you view racial slur as a "positive" thing. The best IRC channel I was in was #sws2b which was a perfect balance between sensitivity and free speech. You could use racial terms like "Sand n*ggers" jokingly, but that's not exactly "Slur".

I find it humorous that you consider the Left Wing to be nazi after mentioning "racial slurs" to be positive. Personally, while I believe in freedom and liberty, I do believe that you need some amount of structure, and to protect people if you want any kind of community. Unfiltered communities are better for some, filtered for more - in between is what's best for everyone. This is probably one of the places I'm "On the fence", though still leaning towards the "Left".

Nobody's claiming Left Wing is the only one for "freedoms". It's just one that has the more sensible freedoms. Under any system, someone will always have more rights than others. In practice some forms of "expression" harm other people's ability to express, this "anti-emo" bullshit you love so much, for instance. On the surface anyway, The Right Wing tends to deny freedoms which have little or no effect on other people's freedoms, and the Left Wing tends to deny freedoms which are the opposite. Not that hard to understand, and not entirely relevant to the topic.