00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Playstation Portable Update

9,663 Views | 83 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:30:18

Long story short, there's now a flash section in the PSP version of Newgrounds (PSP users, point your PSP browser to newgrounds.com/psp, rather than the URL you might see if you click the PSP links at the top of each page on the site when on a computer).

Now, the Devil's in the detail - many users have been crying out for a PSP version of the flash portal after PSPhacks.net offered a homebrew version of a flash player that would operate under firmware 1.5. I never got to check their hack for the flash player, given that I'd already updated firmware to 2.60 (and couldn't downgrade) on my PSP.

They're (PSPhacks.net) still working on later versions of flash that will run on 2* firmware and above. Many more users have been crying out for a PSP version of the portal since they realised that the official Sony firmware update of late includes the flash player, so this is an answer to those cries.

The firmware update 2.70 is supposedly a global release, yet, I downloaded the update marked as 2.70 (not from the US website, given that they state there that the firmware update is just for people who've purchased PSPs IN the US, I'm able to connect my PSP wirelessly) and yet I'm not able to see any flash content on my PSP... So I'm guessing that that's because the update I installed is European and came from Sony Europe, who might not have included the flash update in the firmware upgrade. Whatever...

The point I'm trying to make, is that if you're in Europe and you're on version 2.70 of the official update, then you might not be able to see the flash content in the PSP section of the site.

People who have the homebrew hack from PSPhacks.net should be just fine, wherever they're located!

There's another spanner to throw into the works with all of this, btw - the PSPhacks.net version will handle flash player 7, the official firmware version will handle flash player 6. To keep things global, we're going with only flash player 6 files at the moment.

One more spanner - any file over 1.1Mb seems to throw the PSP into a state of despair, so if you're expecting EVERYTHING from the portal to be available through the PSP, sadly, you will be disappointed. And another spanner - many games don't translate too well at the moment, so for the time being, we're just using movies.

I haven't written it enough. Spanner.

Oh, by the way - the audio section that's disappeared from the PSP layout - that isn't because we're not going to do something with the audio portal and integrate it into the PSP section - it's just that streaming the content direct at the moment isn't great (the PSP freaks out at 1Mb files, or thereabouts) and many of the audio portal subissions are way over that filesize. We also haven't decided what to do with respect to audio downloads, although that is in debate.

Anyway... Sorry for the long post.

Thank Stamper for the groovy PSP flash layout. No, really. Thank him.

Please feel free to post bug reports with the PSP stuff, too.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:31:26

Cool, Thank liljim

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:32:16

awesome!

The names Food, WillPostForFood.

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:33:03

If you updated to 2.7 and you don't see flash: go to your system settings
Go the the Flash Player choice, and accept the agreement.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:33:40

LOL COOL FIRST REPLY.

Shame I don't have a PSP.

Woo first reply! *

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:33:58

generic cock sucking reply!

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:34:10

What's next? Newgrounds on your iPod?

NG Mafia

I've evolved.

digi-digi

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:34:45

Liljim, to get flash support, go to System Settings and select "Enable Flash Player"
You need to connect to the internet however to do so.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:41:59

pretty cool... even thought i dont have a psp and dont plan to get one lol. (waste of money)

*User Page under construction*

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:44:50

At 4/27/06 10:33 PM, GamesCool wrote: If you updated to 2.7 and you don't see flash: go to your system settings
Go the the Flash Player choice, and accept the agreement.

Thanks! I must have overlooked all that stuff when signing the user agreement or whatever. The battery had died when I first ran the update and it told me that I couldn't update on an empty battery. I guess I just skipped through things after that.

I'm seeing flash now, but not hearing audio from the flash. Probably something else I'm doing wrong. It's way past my bed time, so I'm out for the night. Thanks for that tip!

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:45:46

What's with the 90% Loki shit on the PSP Video section?

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:46:13

i might buy a psp now.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 22:56:16

YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I LUV PSP!!!!!!

2 bad i don't got one....

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 23:07:15

Damn! NG just keeps getting better! :)

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 23:10:04

Let's just hope the same story happens to the DS if or when it recieved a browser.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 23:23:14

awesomeeness dude thanks

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 23:50:02

I'll check that out before I go to sleep :)

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-27 23:59:18

Why doesnt mine work right?

Playstation Portable Update

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 00:09:54

Hey, liljim! You need to have KEY NOTE on the ON position to get the sound to work. I think is in sound settings.

To play .swf (flash files) out of the memory card, you must download the flash into the memory into a new folder like /Flash/ then insert that file into that folder. so if I want to play the file pico.swf, put pico.swf into the new folder and go to the web browser and type file:/Flash/pico.swf in the address bar. Hit enter and enjoy your flash file.

Pico runs great out of the memory card. I also downloaded a tetris games and it plays flawlessly too so there is tons of potential on psp flash development if it's done correctly. This was also done without homebrew and it was all original psp flash on the browser.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 00:22:12

thanks for the update :D

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 00:32:54

Rad Update. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 00:47:04

I wish I could care about portable gaming as much as you trendy teens can...

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 02:02:18

NG games on PSP... I'm going to hear about this tomorrow from my PSP friends :)

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 02:21:53

I am currently looking into how much flash is supported by the PSP

It as a custome version of flash 6.

The keys that seem to be linked are:
the dpad are to their respected keyboard keys
the X button is linked to a mouse left click

It might not seem like much but "the smalled website in the world" http://www.guimp.com really does show off what the psp can handle games wise.

Also I am currently trying to figure out if the psp accepts MP3 streams and Dynamic pictures which were solidified in flash 6. If it can some interesting apps can be created if you have the imaginiation.

Currently homestarrunner works alright with the psp, the sound is clear but the processing power is lacking so it will skip frames to stablize. many other flash animtions work as well... the problem is most are too big for the flash screen.

I for one am going to try to develope games/apps specifically for the PSP, even if every one complains about how little it does compaired with a PC running flash 8. (other websites)

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 03:10:18

At 4/28/06 02:34 AM, Ev0lJam wrote: why does ng admins always have a lighter colour writing?=(

because they´re administrators and decide stuff like that?

Wakka wakka

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 03:40:00

At 4/27/06 10:33 PM, Dry-lce wrote: LOL COOL FIRST REPLY.

Shame I don't have a PSP.

Woo first reply! *

You where 2 minuets late!

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 05:42:57

Well, I just can't wait for the DS Browser to come out, that will catch more of my attention. :) Still though, maybe now some people won't moan.

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 06:08:08

Can i use Newgrounds on my PDA. If i can, i might buy a wireless router?
Thanks for the info liljim.

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 06:43:13

I'd rather get the flash player hack then update all the way to 2.70.. I'd lose so much of my homebrew shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Playstation Portable Update 2006-04-28 07:06:44

At 4/27/06 11:10 PM, TheChaosDemon wrote: Let's just hope the same story happens to the DS if or when it recieved a browser.

The DS has been "about to get a internet" since it was released, just like it is "about to get mp3 support." Its like Nintendo are saying "It isn't as good as PSP, but it will be soon", yeah, and nuclear fusion is going to be a viable energy source soon.

Why is it every time anthing PSP specific is meantioned someone has to comment about the bloody DS? The PSP's resolution is barely enough to view most websites properly, on the DS you could get Maddox and maybe Google.

MY HAT IS AWESOME!