00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Php: Main

124,066 Views | 547 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Php: Main 2005-11-03 19:30:30

If you don't already know, the Flash forum has had tons of sucess with "AS: Main". AS: Main is a group of tutorials writtin within different threads in the Flash forum, and then they are all compiles within a list in the AS: Main thread.

I thought it would be cool to do it for the programming forum, and the best language to do it with would probably be PHP.

So, lets begin!

If you want to write a tutoiral, follow these steps:

1. Create a new thread, with the subject "PHP: The title of my tutorial"
2. Come into PHP: Main, and make a post linking to your tutorial. When the next page is coming, all of the new tutorials will be added to the compiled list.

So, lets get started!

I have a few tutorials that I'll post in a few minutes, and I think Pilot-Doofy does also.

I'll compile the first list before we reach the end of the page just to show what it will look like.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 19:49:12

OK, so, I just posted this tutorial:
PHP: Create a random quotes script

Here's what the list currently looks like:

PHP: SPECIFIC PROJECTS:

BEGINNER (1)
PHP: Create a random quotes script by GamesCool

Let me know what you guys think of this format. I just took it from how Denvish does it in AS: Main.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 20:20:44

Like I had suggested in another post, how about someone compiles all of these scripts and puts them on a website so that this post doesn't get "lost"?

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 20:28:29

Why not do it in this thread? It works perfectly in the Flash forum, so it can definitley work here, as long as people contribute.

The sucess soley depends on people contributing. If enough people contribute, the thread will stay up, a lot of people will know about it.

But we're not expecting n00bs to see the thread.

When someone makes a thread "Hey how do I make a portal?", a regular can say, go to PHP: Main and learn PHP.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 20:34:33

Ummm k...Whatever you say

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 21:22:09

Can I just explan PHP in here, or do I need to make a whole thread?

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 21:24:08

At 11/3/05 09:22 PM, blah569 wrote: Can I just explan PHP in here, or do I need to make a whole thread?

Well, I think we should hold true to what AS: Main does, so yes, new thread, then post the link in here, and it will be added on the next compiled list.

Remember, make the topic subject:
PHP: Name of your tutorial

I look foward to seeing it!

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 21:29:19

Ok, first of all, I was going to make a portal tutorial (but just one of the codes goes over the chacter limit). So what do people want to learn?

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 22:59:44

You can just start out with anything basic, and people will be able to learn from it.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 23:07:59

PHP: Basics. I hope that is what you ment :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 23:15:25

OK cool, that will be in the beginners category. When we get a few more, I'll update the list.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 23:28:35

At 11/3/05 11:07 PM, blah569 wrote: PHP: Basics. I hope that is what you ment :P.

This kind of stuff isn't going to cut it, sorry.
I only suggest writing tutorials if you are very proficient with php. You just posted a topic about using the php mail function, so I'm going to have to assume that's not the case

A php basics tutorial should be for people who know nothing about PHP. They would still be pretty confused if they read this. You didn't explain what php is, what it stands for, how to use it inside of html, or anything. There are also other ways to start and end scripts. As far as the variables you declared a variable and assigned it to a value passed through post, but mentioned nothing of the post superglobal or how it works

Not trying to be mean, but read through GamesCool's first tutorial to see what we're going for here : )

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 23:45:49

OK, because you say that, I posted my PHP beginners tutorial. I wrote it a few months ago.

Let me know what you think:
PHP: Beginners tutorial

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-03 23:50:30

At 11/3/05 11:45 PM, SpamBurger wrote: I made a topic like this, and called it PROG: Main but it got locked by afro-ninja...

'Programming' was a bit too general, php is one of the more asked about and discussed topics around here. I think it's about the only language that would deserve it's own 'MAIN' topic. As you can see I have locked one of the tutorials made, because it didn't cover very much. When you made your tutorial you just covered one javascript function, which was a little sparse

Also, no offense, but GamesCool knows a good bit of php and has been around here for a while, wheras when you made your topic it was the first time I saw you post in here and it just seemed you were trying to hop on the something:MAIN wagon =)

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 00:05:13

I've just made a basic file upload tutorial and I've got the package of files available for download on my website if they'd like to download the files and have them right on their own computer.

PHP: file uploads

Merkd.com - It Pays to Play

Earn real money by betting and investing; or, sponsor, challenge, compete,

recruit, communicate, network, earn money playing games, and much more.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 00:06:45

At 11/4/05 12:05 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: PHP: file uploads

WOW! Awesome tutorial!

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 00:10:36

At 11/4/05 12:06 AM, GamesCool wrote:
At 11/4/05 12:05 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: PHP: file uploads
WOW! Awesome tutorial!

Thanks. I thought I may have been to lengthy on the php.ini discussions but about 50% of the problems that people contact me about dealing with uploads have to do with configuration settings so I wanted to make sure that was water under the bridge and it wasn't some careless mistake.

I hope to write some more tomorrow. :)

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 00:14:09

OK cool. I'll post my advanced tutorial, and then I'll start writing more.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to post the updated list:

PHP: GENERAL CODE:

BEGINNER (1)
PHP: Beginners tutorial by GamesCool

INTERMEDIATE (1)
PHP: file uploads by Pilot-Doofy

BEGINNER (1)

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 08:07:59

Since my other one isn't good enough, I will make a "Make a portal tutorial".

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 11:08:28

At 11/4/05 08:07 AM, blah569 wrote: I will make a "Make a portal tutorial".

Please don't. That concept cannot be explained in 6,000 characters.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 11:57:30

I thought there were a lot of PHP threads when I checked here at school.. though it was translated from english to spanish by Alta Vista so the words were kinda fucked up, it coulda just been sticking PHP on the front of everything ;)

This really works for the Flash forum, nice to see it's evolving.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 17:10:02

At 11/4/05 11:08 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote:
At 11/4/05 08:07 AM, blah569 wrote: I will make a "Make a portal tutorial".
Please don't. That concept cannot be explained in 6,000 characters.

Then what PHP tutorial should I make?

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 17:24:29

At 11/4/05 05:10 PM, blah569 wrote: Then what PHP tutorial should I make?

Write it on an aspect of PHP that you know VERY well. It can be a small subject, just explain it in detail.

Also, I am writing a beginners tutorial on connecting to a MySQL database with PHP, and doing some simple things.

And WOW! We're almost ready for our first official list! (Page 2)

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 17:28:46

I would like to request a tutorial. Maybe someone can do a tutorial on how to make a topsites list. I'm sure alot of people would want to know how to do that.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 17:47:42

Soooo, var's, print/echo, links, atrobutes? I don't know what to start with...

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 19:43:44

At 11/4/05 05:28 PM, Greeley wrote: I would like to request a tutorial. Maybe someone can do a tutorial on how to make a topsites list. I'm sure alot of people would want to know how to do that.

Great! I am going to write a PHP/MySQL tutorial, and then I'll write a topsite tutorial after, as everyone who reads the topsite one should know how to use PHP with MySQL first. If anyone else would like to write the topsite one, and knows how, please feel free to write it.

At 11/4/05 05:47 PM, blah569 wrote: Soooo, var's, print/echo, links, atrobutes? I don't know what to start with...

That's all included in my PHP beginners tutorial I posted.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 20:04:27

At 11/4/05 07:43 PM, GamesCool wrote:
At 11/4/05 05:28 PM, Greeley wrote: I would like to request a tutorial. Maybe someone can do a tutorial on how to make a topsites list. I'm sure alot of people would want to know how to do that.
Great! I am going to write a PHP/MySQL tutorial, and then I'll write a topsite tutorial after, as everyone who reads the topsite one should know how to use PHP with MySQL first. If anyone else would like to write the topsite one, and knows how, please feel free to write it.

At 11/4/05 05:47 PM, blah569 wrote: Soooo, var's, print/echo, links, atrobutes? I don't know what to start with...
That's all included in my PHP beginners tutorial I posted.

What do people want to learn? The first thing I ever wanted to learn was how to use PHP, but I found that out along time ago. So I don't know what to teach.

BBS Signature

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 20:45:52

PHP: Random quote image

Learn how to create an image dynamicly with PHP that displays a random quote.

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 20:52:28

oops! I missed the first post by a few minutes :( Afro_Ninja, would you be able just to delete my last post on the first page, because that would make this first. Thanks.

PHP: GENERAL CODE:

BEGINNER (1)
PHP: Beginners tutorial by GamesCool

INTERMEDIATE (1)
PHP: file uploads by Pilot-Doofy

BEGINNER (1)

INTERMEDIATE (1)
PHP: Random quote image by GamesCool

Response to Php: Main 2005-11-04 21:37:09

Well, now that the topic is more than two pages you should link to it as earlier suggest. Do this, instead of giving the actual link:

http://www.newground..72890&page=99999

Well, you get the point. That way, it automatically goes to the last page and people can see the most updated list.