00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KamenRider01 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Viva Vivendi!

6,101 Views | 63 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:03:01

This week's news...

"In a statement Monday, Vivendi said the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York opened a preliminary criminal investigation in coordination with the SEC in Miami, which had been conducting an informal inquiry of its own." -Reuters

So Vivendi (owner of Universal Studios) is in trouble for hiding their horrible finances. How ironic that one of our biggest film studios is owned by a French sewage company.

I had just read an unrelated article about Vivendi recently, in a piece about the privatization of water. Not many people talk about this, although it has been a big issue with the World Bank (they basically take control of third world water in order for those countries to pay off debts to the World Bank). The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

Our water in Atlanta is controlled by a company called United Water, owned by Suez. Suez and Vivendi are the two largest corporations with control over water. Around the world Vivendi has taken control of the water supplies in different parts of 100 countries! Can you imagine your water being some shady corporation's bottom line? Privatization was expected to have better results than government management, but so far it has been a huge failure.

Isn't this stuff interesting? :)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:07:08

At 11/5/02 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: This week's news...

"In a statement Monday, Vivendi said the U.S. Attorney's Office in New York opened a preliminary criminal investigation in coordination with the SEC in Miami, which had been conducting an informal inquiry of its own." -Reuters

So Vivendi (owner of Universal Studios) is in trouble for hiding their horrible finances. How ironic that one of our biggest film studios is owned by a French sewage company.

I had just read an unrelated article about Vivendi recently, in a piece about the privatization of water. Not many people talk about this, although it has been a big issue with the World Bank (they basically take control of third world water in order for those countries to pay off debts to the World Bank). The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

Our water in Atlanta is controlled by a company called United Water, owned by Suez. Suez and Vivendi are the two largest corporations with control over water. Around the world Vivendi has taken control of the water supplies in different parts of 100 countries! Can you imagine your water being some shady corporation's bottom line? Privatization was expected to have better results than government management, but so far it has been a huge failure.

drink booze instead of water, I went to mexico for a holiday and thats all i drank, French people drink a sheet load also, are they wrong?

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 18:20:24

Yes very intersesting

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:00:27

interesting, a little bit of the subject, but interesting.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:07:18

um...sure?

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:28:09

u actually read this stuff.i rather sleep

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:34:16

So capatlism is voted the best system of running things now known? When you kill someone to make money,its defeatist.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:35:34

Come on tom dont make me read, im to lazy whaaaa.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:50:14

This is my excuse for drinking nothing other than moutain dew (;

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 19:58:05

Canada has 1/3 of the worlds fresh water, bitch

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:04:23

Yes, it is very interesting tho I could hardly give a damn cuz i dun live in the states...

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:10:37

The water here in Atlanta is privatized and is unsafe to drink (Philly water was no picnic either - but it was still much safer to drink than the water down here).

....I live about 45 minutes southeast of chicago. I LOVE drinking the tap water. Cringe if you must, but we have one of the best water purification systems in the nation. We once had some company from Japan come out to study the plant, so they can build their own like it. Why do I drink the tap? I like the taste.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:14:20

sorry to change the subject .i wanted to ask if there is a way to speed up loading when i come here.because i dont know why but when i get here everything loads slower than usual...but your site is one of the best ive ever seen!!!!oh...and people i made upset about...anything...im really sorry^_^thanks 4 your time^_^

Viva Vivendi!

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:28:25

Isn't this stuff interesting? :) Tom this water problem is bull shit I hope to God it fails Fucking government

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:46:48

At 11/5/02 08:14 PM, panchan wrote:

sorry to change the subject .i wanted to ask if there is a way to speed up loading when i come here.because i dont know why but when i get here everything loads slower than usual...but your site is one of the best ive ever seen!!!!oh...and people i made upset about...anything...im really sorry^_^thanks 4 your time^_^

LOL it's aol users. we must ban them from NG. That way Ng becomes alot faster LOL

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 20:49:10

yeah tom...sooo interesting...WHERE THE HELL IS PICO 2???!!!.....DONT MAKE ME COME TO PHILLY WITH A LITTLE FRIEND OF MINE!!! J/K

Viva Vivendi!

Belive in the Black and Gold--GO STEELERS!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 21:50:34

At 11/5/02 08:49 PM, SolidSnake0986 wrote: yeah tom...sooo interesting...WHERE THE HELL IS PICO 2???!!!.....DONT MAKE ME COME TO PHILLY WITH A LITTLE FRIEND OF MINE!!! J/K

Damn im getting annoyed with you people you know how many people have asked this question shut your fucking holes for god sakes it proably wont come out this year by the way ALEAIN HOMID ROCKS PICOS BOXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid mr level 2

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:24:02

Where did you dig this up?

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:24:03

Where did you dig this up?

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 22:25:39

At 11/5/02 10:24 PM, Lpmofo wrote: Where did you dig this up?

W00t double post!

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-05 23:10:54

The water down here (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) is supposedly some of the best in country or something. Its clean and doesnt taste in any way bitter.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:16:19

True True very interesting. Kind of funny a french owner i would type more but it is 9:30 here. I go to go to bed before i fall a sleeeeeeeeeeppppp. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LMAO...you sleep at 9:30???

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 00:34:38

I don't think private componeys should be incharge of anything that vital for humans to survive.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 01:06:47

Hey that water deal sucks! I also heard that before they ship Corona up here from Mexico that the Mexicans urinate in each batch of brew. I guess that's why people put lime in it to kill off the taste.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 01:13:06

At 11/5/02 11:10 PM, XIII wrote: The water down here (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) is supposedly some of the best in country or something. Its clean and doesnt taste in any way bitter.

Yeah, its great to live in a state where you can actually drink the tap water. California. The place to live. And drink tap that tastes as good as Evian. It must be all these beautiful mountains with the pure snow drizzling down them. Ohh the state of California. It's expensive as hell to live here but so fucking worth it. I hope you are all jealous as I wash down my meds with this tasty tap.

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 02:10:31

This is a bit off the subject but what would you do if someone took your profile pic and put it in theirs,Tom?

Viva Vivendi!

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 02:12:09

HURRY UP AND MAKE EITHER Pico 2 OR Alien Hominid Level 2. GET YOUR SORRY BUTT INTO GEAR AND GO!!!

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 02:27:20

I don’t know how to best address all this. Tom mentioned the water in Atlanta is both privatized and cruddy. Somehow, that doesn’t surprise me. Also, it doesn’t surprise me the water in the third world is “owned” by large corporations, one of which is the same that owns Universal Film, and which is—in its larger sense—a French sewage company. And that company is cooking its books in Enron fashion.

Unfortunately, it is harder to educate people than it is to control them. So, for what it’s worth, I try to do some educating about the “Third World” to those NG users who might not be hip.

The Brandt Line, or north-south split, is a global separation between large regions on the basis of their overall human development.

That line, which lies roughly at the thirtieth northern parallel (excepting the Middle East and Asia, both of which it rises above), shows a clear demarcation between highly developed areas (Japan, Eastern Europe, Anglo-America and Western Europe) and considerably less developed territories on the south side (the Middle East and Asia—with Australia and New Zealand as exceptions to this rule).

You can also call it the “Brandt Circle”, since it pretty-much runs all around the globe. What I’m saying is, things northwards, places like the U.S. and most of Europe, generally have it better than things southwards. Not always, but generally. Southwards, there’s less access to education. More work-for-someone-else rather than work-for-yourself. People tend to have kids around their age of 14 or 15, and they don’t really have any books in their school—might be lucky and have one math book for 50 kids, no paper, maybe one pen. Obviously no hospitals, and considerably less food.

Now, I realize, if you’re in an American high school, things are expected. You can’t show up having not bathed for a month and wearing nothing but a sock. Furthermore, I know there are other expectations—do well in sports, smile, watch the TV shows everyone else does, dress like everyone, and maybe even go to one of your town’s mainstream churches. And I know American high schools—too many—are nothing but day care centers for assholes. So I know it’s impossible to think about a bunch of Asian kids with cholera when you, in the U.S., can’t find a date, or when you’re ridiculed without mercy, or when you go home and your mom has her own little war. At times, you probably wish you were the guy dying of cholera.

Still, I’m going to ask you to try to care. Newgrounds, believe it or not, is not a site for popular kids. If you could do 80 sit-ups in under three minutes, or if you look like Spencer Tracey when you’re only 16, or if you’ve ever gotten a passing grade on the basis of your smile, then you’re probably the only one—this, out of 5,000 reviewers and 200,000 Flash artists who never had such luck. And one of the stupidest things in the world is, when you make friends with someone who’s unpopular, then you suddenly abandon that loser once you GET popular: that’s bullshit.

I wish there was some movie I could use an example that teaches you to “not use people as a means to an ends”. The only thing coming to mind is the Shawhank Redemption. If anyone can think of something better, I welcome them to post it.

Viva Vivendi!

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 02:57:12

At 11/6/02 02:10 AM, Marinero wrote:

privatization is the number 1 reason the world is evil in africa like 8000 people are in poverty because a huge company built a dam that diverted water from 6 villages to an industrial area *disney is part of that industrial block* as for goverment managment its no better considering the fact the companys have there hands in all the politicians pockets just look at thte recent election everyone who one has had millions given to them by companys that want that lil edge when it comes to certain issues so now that bush can pass any legislation he chooses we will now be throwing out a large portion of our eviromental, social and diplomatic policys in favor of oil companys and other industry giants such as our break from the un*yes bush threatened to break from the un if countrys dont back us and were bribing others* so basically in only 2 years bush and his republican corporation puppets croonies have sent us spiraling back into debt, set our sociaty back 10 years and turned what was known as the land of the free into a isolationistic corrupt giant that instead of justice and liberty is under a might makes right i got the bombs so you best kneel country*yes puppets just look at his response to enron, a company that funded his campain, the first words out of his mouth when addressing the huge blatent corruption and violation of people trust were" The war on terror is going well" what the hell kinda sad ass attempt to divert the subject was that did he think people were stupid enough to say "oh my pension, retirement stocks and financial security for myself and family is fucked and my kids now arnt going to college and ill probably be homeless in a month..but the war on terror is going well so its all ok"......well seems they did the stupid blind sheep cause nobody in congress or the major media has yet to question anything the president has done or his intentions..such as overthrowing a country for things it did 10 years ago which by chance we happen to had our hands in in the first place*btw this is a clear violation of un policy* by bushes logic well be at war with england the moment they cross us for there acts of terror against the irish and numerous outher countrys and they tried to kill bushes great great great grand dad during the american revolution of course if bush wants to look at past records of brutality he should look no further then his own dad for oh say selling weapons to both sides of the iran contra or howbout selling chem and bio weapons or lets go back further to americas history of terror how bout theintention injecting of syphalis into blacks for lab testing without there approval or knowlage or howbout our lil lsd in the water supply or lets talk bout our lil 50's romp through fachist america land and our anti communisum mantra our lets play in the 60s where the people tried to take back there country from the faschists and were met with brutal police action and the military firing on civilian protestors.hhhm didnt saddam do that? and china? ah well its america was a honest mistake that cost the lives of college students armed with only paper flyers and a dream of freedom
the lil incident at attica i wont go into cause it was prisoners but eh when you smoke the whole yard and send troups with automatic weapons in that just spray the yard and kill over 8 wound 20 of there own people and countless prisoners and 3 or 4 hostages dead id say someone really fucked up or howbout our lil romp in waco you know runnin over children with tanks and sending trigger happy agents in who shoot at people the moment they see them or how bout the real fun of firing gas grenades that release a highly flammible gas compound then launching a few ferrat incindiary rounds into confined yet well ventilated areas*the result kinda is like setting someone inside one of those burger grills you see in places like carles jr just a 10 by 10 ft version of one*
and my personal favorite atrocity of america the wonton slaughter of men women and children in the persuit of gold land and riches you know wha i talkin bout..yes the indians those lovable nearly extinct redskins yes those people we actually paid people to kill more then we paid fur trappers oh who cant forget custer that oh so angry man who met his end in an ambush when he set out to destroy a small village filled primarily of women and children such a noble hero*sarcasme alert sarcasme alert*
anywho i say before bush wants to start talking about other countrys lil incidents he should read up on some of ours and mabey if we just stop making these dictators to serrve out our intrests mabey wed stop seeing all these hitlers running round everytime they stray from our hand

(sorry bout the total lack of grammer im tired and pissed cause i just got off work and its LATE here and now the republicans have total control of the goverment so now were fucked unless were the 1 percent)

Response to Viva Vivendi! 2002-11-06 03:01:43

At 11/6/02 12:34 AM, Ice_Demon wrote: I don't think private componeys should be incharge of anything that vital for humans to survive.

Well I want to know where you get your fucking food from then genius.