00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Orleans

28,132 Views | 205 Replies
Respond to this Topic

New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:19:39

There's an interesting MP3 from a radio show where the mayor of New Orleans really goes off about the support they've been getting there. It's worth a listen.

PsychoGoldfish has a great idea that allows artists & programmers to help contribute to disaster relief. Basically, we want to put together a group of contributors from the site who will take sponsorship bids on their current / upcoming projects and the money will go to the Red Cross.

ARISTS & PROGRAMMERS: If you would like to produce a game for a charitable cause, please respond to this thread or email me. We are looking for people who are established and can be TRUSTED TO FINISH THE JOB. Sponsors will be asked to pay up-front, so we need to be sure they get a finished product. Don't promise something you can't finish in a reasonable time-frame, because you are essentially working for free to help those in need. If you are in the process of finishing a new game, now is a good time to do a good deed.

SPONSORS: This is a great opportunity to put your branding on a Flash game while at the same time helping a good cause. At the end of the day it is the artists who are making the donation, but without your support they wouldn't have the money to donate.

We will put together a list of game concepts and prices. Sponsors will contact us directly to arrange payment and then work with the artist to place their branding in the finished game. Checks will be sent to Newgrounds and 100% of the proceeds will be given to the Red Cross. We'll be able to keep track of how much money was raised and which sponsor / artist combos generated what revenue.

Let's get moving, we want to do this quick while the money is needed most!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:24:44

Good idea...I wonder how they're doing.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:25:55

Nice idea, Tom :)

But...

I'm sure we'll get soon movies making fun of this disaster..Parodies come to Newgrounds always, and some people loves to make fun of of these kind of things.

What would be Newgrounds' policy about these movies?

Should we vote on them based on its quality or blow the whistle on them?

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:28:57

good idea tom.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:29:34

It's sad someone will probably make a tradegy flash on here about it, but it'll probobly be a piss take, like that Tsunami game. Tom, will you allow those to go through?

Great idea though.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:29:46

Good point Ozcar. People made fun of the "big wave" in Taiwan (I think thats the country) so whats stopping them making fun of New Orleans?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:30:20

At 9/2/05 12:25 PM, Ozcar wrote: Nice idea, Tom :)

But...

I'm sure we'll get soon movies making fun of this disaster..Parodies come to Newgrounds always, and some people loves to make fun of of these kind of things.

Good point, technically there is nothing wrong with making a parody on this, but i think there should be a rule on parodies of natural disasters like the tsunami. Some of my relatives died in that, and it i wouldn't appreciate a parody about it.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:30:34

nice idea, hope it goes well!

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:30:51

But...

That's a good question....it's really too damn soon to be making fun of this. Reminds me of that Tsunami game...

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:31:00

Great idea Tom!

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:35:16

At 9/2/05 12:33 PM, Canadian-Bacon wrote: Are you asking for the games to be New Orleans/Hurricane related or just general games

Not that I'm making one I just think it's a good question to ask.

I don't think it would be good to make it hurricane themed because it will end up being taken the wrong way.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:43:41

good idea

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:44:14

We're looking for any games... things that sponsors would WANT their brnading in and running on their sites.

A game about destroying New Orleans would be dis-tasteful as an auction item.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:48:03

The games you want us to make isn't explained well enough.

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:49:14

I don't think making Hurricane parodies flaggable is the answer. Most of them won't be worthy of passing judgement anyway. Besides, I don't it'll stop the flood of them that shall soon come.

Plus, there's that whole free speech arguement, but of course that's limited in many aspects in this case.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest

"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:52:56

It's NG man

You can't blam a movie just cuz it's a sensitive subject.... I, personally would find some of that shit distasteful... but we have pleny of users here on NG that enjoy just that type of thing.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:58:30

At 9/2/05 12:29 PM, Lost_Chances wrote: Good point Ozcar. People made fun of the "big wave" in Taiwan (I think thats the country) so whats stopping them making fun of New Orleans?

indonesia

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 12:58:43

hope those people are ok

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:03:41

At 9/2/05 12:30 PM, KyleRoberts wrote: it's really too damn soon to be making fun of this.

I wholeheartedly agree.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:10:42

But...

Yes I think we shouldblow the whistle. We all know that tsunami game. Please listen tom and make a temporary whistle so we can flag insulting flash about this recent disaster. At the minute youre looking support from authors to help raise money, I think youll get more support if you do this. People will see that you care and understand that flash to take the piss is not right. Please tom, listen to the public

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:16:03

At 9/2/05 01:10 PM, bigbrendy wrote:

But...

Yes I think we shouldblow the whistle. We all know that tsunami game. Please listen tom and make a temporary whistle so we can flag insulting flash about this recent disaster. At the minute youre looking support from authors to help raise money, I think youll get more support if you do this. People will see that you care and understand that flash to take the piss is not right. Please tom, listen to the public

It's called freedom of speech plus it doesn't break any of the current rules. Best just blam it instead. Because flaggers will just hog up all the whistle points which they will recieve blam points when the admins delete it without checking the movie because no one dared to say their movie didn't break any rules.

BBS Signature

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:16:26

At 9/2/05 01:03 PM, Tremour wrote:
At 9/2/05 12:30 PM, KyleRoberts wrote: it's really too damn soon to be making fun of this.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah... The StarSyndictae * shrugs *

Those horny teenagers really know about the subject,...

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:22:01

At 9/2/05 01:16 PM, AnzRage wrote: It's called freedom of speech plus it doesn't break any of the current rules. Best just blam it instead. Because flaggers will just hog up all the whistle points which they will recieve blam points when the admins delete it without checking the movie because no one dared to say their movie didn't break any rules.

The freedom of one ends where the freedom of the others start...

I don't find this funny... As a matter of fact, I find it stupid and racist in many ways:

New Orleans

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:28:30

I'll ICQ Fish next time I log in, GoG is definetly interested in donating some sponsorship money or working something out to the red cross, this could work well :)

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:31:32

wow Tom thanks for getting Newgrounds involved in The hurricane disaster. I feel great knowing newgrounds is helping us.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:38:15

New Orleans is sinking an, I dont wanna swim,

SWIM

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:40:50

I can quickly create audio for ANYONE's games/ animations for this as long as it is FOR THIS ONLY.

If you need a short loop, a score, voice-overs even audio editing.... I will donate my time and expertise for this cause.

drop me a line fda@newgrounds.com or better yet aim/ trillian on FDAALLDAY

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:43:55

At 9/2/05 12:25 PM, Ozcar wrote: or blow the whistle on them?

Hell, no! That would be hypocrisy at its worst! There were plenty of submissions making fun of the tsunami, a disaster of far larger proportions than this hurricane, and those submissions were very welcome to this site, and one of them was even featured on the front-page (and later in the Bastards collection).

I personally like "heartless bastards" submission, and I wouldn't object if people made them about this particular disaster too, although I'd prefer if they were actually innovative or funny, and not just cheap shots at the victims.

There's a lot of suffering and death in the world. If you can't laugh at it now, you'll never make through what's yet to come.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:44:31

Good idea PsychoGoldfish, i hope you guys manage to raise a bit of money.

Response to New Orleans 2005-09-02 13:47:48

At 9/2/05 01:40 PM, FDA wrote: I can quickly create audio for ANYONE's games/ animations for this as long as it is FOR THIS ONLY.

If you need a short loop, a score, voice-overs even audio editing.... I will donate my time and expertise for this cause.

drop me a line fda@newgrounds.com or better yet aim/ trillian on FDAALLDAY

Same here, I can make audio that sounds good. No voice acting though, (my equipment for that is in repair). If you want to check out my
music to see I´m a serious musician, plz do. I got all weekend to do some music, if anyone wish something written for a storyline or so. E-mail me at rucklo@hotmail.com or msn, whatever you like. I´ll only do this for the ones who actually are serious, and like Tom said, WILL FINNISH the project.

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka