00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

China blocks online gamers

2,384 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 08:28:20

Shanghai. August 23. INTERFAX-CHINA - The Chinese Government unveiled a new system Tuesday to prevent individuals from playing online games for more than three consecutive hours, which must be installed for every online game in the country.

"This timing mechanism can prevent young people from becoming addicted to online games," Kou Xiaowei, Deputy Director of the Audiovisual and Internet Publication Department of the General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP), said during a press conference.

The new system, developed under the guidance of the GAPP, stops individuals from playing online games for more than three hours by cutting the abilities of game characters. The new system cuts the ability level of a player's online game character by half after he or she has played for more than three consecutive hours. Once a player has played for more than five consecutive hours, the system cuts the ability level of that player's character to the lowest level allowed by the game.

The system also lowers the ability of players to find treasures or prizes available in an online game after they have played for more than three consecutive hours.

Furthermore, the system keeps track of hours of play. Individuals who immediately log back onto a game after three hours of consecutive play will continue to have the ability of their game character lowered by the system. Players must be logged off for a minimum of five hours before the system resets.

The GAPP has defined the playing of online games for less than three consecutive hours as "healthy," playing three to five consecutive hours as "tiring," and playing for more than five consecutive hours as "unhealthy."

In addition, seven of China's largest online gaming firms pledged Tuesday to "sacrifice short-term revenues" to create a "healthy" environment for young internet users. Companies signing onto the "Beijing Accord" were Shanda, NetEase, The9, Optisp, Kingsoft, SINA, and Sohu. These seven companies also pledged to deploy the system when development is completed.

Development of the system is scheduled for completion at the end of September 2005. Internal testing is scheduled to begin in October of 2005. After internal testing, trial operations of the system will be held using the games "The Legend of Mir II" and "The World of Legend" operated by Shanda, "Westward Journey Online" and "Fantasy Westward Journey Online" operated by NetEase, "World of Warcraft" and "MU" operated by The9, "JX Online" and "First Myth Online" operated by Kingsoft, "The Legend of Mir 3G" operated by Optisp, "Lineage II" operated by SINA, and "Blade Online" operated by Sohu.

Compulsory deployment of the new system is expected to begin for all massive multiplayer online role-playing games and casual games in China in late 2005 or early 2006.

It radical, but when you think they opened a clinic to help addicted gamers in china...

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 08:32:29

Thats cruel Thank god I don't live in China

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 08:36:39

well a new job for me. im gonna makea crack for this programe. whos gonna help me

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 09:58:25

Who gives a fuck? I'm more concerned with China's censorship of the whole internet. You should do a google search for "great firewall of china".

That's a radical gesture by the Chinese government. It is immeasurably more significant than keeping whiny gamers from sheilding themselves from reality.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 10:17:54

At 8/24/05 10:08 AM, mofomojo wrote: It's a fascist government.

Under the disguise of communism?

We oughtta just nuke china.

Yeah great idea we might as well nuke the whole fucking planet just to be sure...

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 11:41:12

Ahhhh, the glory of Communism, complete and total control!

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 11:43:42

At 8/24/05 09:58 AM, TheShrike wrote: . You should do a google search for "great firewall of china".

LOL! Top banter!

But still, that "communists" for you. :(

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 12:12:10

You know, it's not a huge deal.

It's like helmet laws. If people are going to do such stupid stuff to themselves that the government needs to protect them from their own stupidity, so be it. It's not a brutal example of their fascist policies.

Dead.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 15:26:28

rude if you ask me in Finland there isint very many of online games (thank god i dont live there) exept couple best like WOW,D2, SWG and others.... but still in China that will be rude... looks those Chinese players... they have sworn to help nOObs in those games,they have promised to spend there time and money to play those games and this is how game companies thanks them... (i need to go doctor maybe)

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 15:44:46

This will force the nerds to find something else to do. For god's sake, who here plays online games here for 5 hours at a time!? It may seem unfair, but hell, if you really need to play 5 hours a day, get the fuck outside and do something. I'm all for freedom, and this is wrong, but for those of you who think playing 5 hours of online games a day is a god given right, petition congress to have it added to the constitution.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 22:19:14

Personally, I almost find myself agreeing with that mechanism. I know this is gonna sound like a very chessy and lame AA announcement, but as a kid a was addicted to video games and I regret it. Even now, as I pursue my ambitions in the academic realm (biochem to be specific) at Purdue I find myself almost envious of those who have gone to special schools and have mastered many college concepts at a young age. I guess I just have an inner desire to compete and be among the best at whatever I do and I really wish I would have spent my younger years pursuing the scientific interests I have always had as opposed to feeding my addiction to the N64 (again I know that just sounded pathetic but please bear with me). All in all, I think there is a shitload of untapped potential in humanity as a whole. The reputation of "nerd" or "goober" that people like myself have, as well as the overall laziness of most people in their younger years (including myself) does alot, I think, to hinder the development of mankind (again coming from a scientific point of view.) I really do think that China is on to something with this, but then again, my opinions are always in the vast minority...

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-24 22:27:52

Well, you know that the whole thing does actually make sense.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 10:59:57

ya, china is only trying to stop its population from spreading their communist secrets all over the world. the the 3 hours is to give the people a taste of freedom!

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 12:16:19

They're probably reacting to a problem that started in Japan and is no doubt spreading throughout Asia...

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 13:43:43

If it can happen there it can happen here.

If they can ban drugs here because they are addictive they can do it to game

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 15:44:38

no more then three hours of video games! thats crazy i think the majority of newgrounds users would commit sucide if that happened to them.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 15:59:36

Haha you know if China doesn't do that, we're all going to get friggin pwned by them in whatever games we play.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 18:29:57

but to ask a question why is it just online games and not single player game. whats the difference to becoming addicted to the same game if your playing with real live people that live in different countrieswith freedom

Between the idea And the reality

Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow

An argument in Logic

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 19:15:33

The Chinese dont want their people getting in touch with the outside world for too long ^_^

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 19:39:05

Hah
This comes to the topic again.. Where are the parents?
As far as im concerned this .. law is unfair they pay money for video games they should be able to play them.. just imagine if they put a 3 hour limit on t.v ...Sorry china .. sucks to be there
I just hope this .. law doesnt catch on in different countries..

And the bicycle helmet point I thought was really good .. let us be idiots if we want to and Fuck you

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 20:24:39

At 8/25/05 07:39 PM, major_punk wrote:
I just hope this .. law doesnt catch on in different countries..

Dont worry as long as theres a capitalist democracy it will never spread.

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 20:47:50

Why not single player games? Single player isn't as addictive as online play...

Also, my question, why doesn't China just cut off the internet and form the Chinanet? A WAN based totally in China, with no link to the outside!

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 21:06:37

At 8/25/05 07:39 PM, major_punk wrote: Hah
This comes to the topic again.. Where are the parents?

They're not allowed near the children during the endoctrination process... they may give the children a sense of self and that would ruin their entire plan!

But on another note, I don't see why the Chinese are so upset by this. FPSes are just another form of military training and it doesn't cost the government a dime! They don't have to limit video game access, they should encourage gamers to play more, and then draft them into the army.

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:32:28

Ehh.. those that know a second language need only buy a foreign version of the game and connect to a server outside the country. It's plausable..

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:37:40

Who cares about China gamers.

And Nietzschean, can you get on aim? I got some questions about kickboxing.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:37:42

The Chinese are doing this for one reason:

If you are playing video games for 5 hours you obviously aren't spending enough time working.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:39:33

The Chinese should just make people pay $10 (whatever tht is in Chinese currency) a month to remove the 5 hour limitation and $20 dollars to remove the 3 hour limitation. They would make trillions of dollars.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:41:24

They're keeping their kids lean and mean to join the glorious Red Army when they become strapping young comrades. But seriously, how can you single this out when their government kills infants as they are crowning, none of this "is it alive" nonsense, the top of the baby's head is coming out when they stick a needle full of potassium into it. Not only that, the infanticide rate over there is alarming, as families throw their baby girls into wells so that they can try to have a boy on their next go around. Hell, how about their response to anyone seen as a threat to the state. No worry about getting thrown into jail without a sentence, they shoot you in the head and send the bill for the cost of the bullet to your family. Or we could talk about... hell, I think I got the point across clear enough.

Think you're pretty clever...

BBS Signature

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:42:30

The sad thing is that this might work, as it doesn't just kick you from the game, it just gradually makes it less fun. A mean thing to do if you've actually spent money on the game, though. If it's free, I say they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want with their coding.

Response to China blocks online gamers 2005-08-25 23:50:11

At 8/25/05 11:41 PM, Gunter45 wrote: But seriously, how can you single this out when their government kills infants as they are crowning, none of this "is it alive" nonsense, the top of the baby's head is coming out when they stick a needle full of potassium into it.

Americans do that too.