00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Text Link Ads

13,826 Views | 134 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:19:00

I am experimenting with sponsored text link ads across the site. I started with a list on the MATURE collection pages and have just now added a SINGLE SPONSOR text link ad to the Portal content view window. It replaces the previous ad, so now the ads are much less obtrusive (text vs animated gif) and will hopefully pay better.

My hope is to maximize the impact of advertising on the site so we can provide ads that are both unobtrusive and more valued by advertisers. To provide value, we want to keep the ads to a minimum, rather than overload the pages and try to cash in off a million people screaming for attention.

This has been a great year for NG financially (great year for the whole web, I imagine), but moving ahead I'll be taking some risks that could have a negative effect on growth. I want to focus on providing the best user experience possible but to do so we will need the support of the users! If you see an ad you like, don't hesitate to click it! This includes both text ads and attractive banners. If you see a nice looking superbanner for a movie or video game, give it a click to show them you noticed. The more we please quality advertisers, the more value we will get from less obtrusive advertising space! I'm sure you guys are just as sick of the generic "WIN A FREE PSP!" pop-ups as I am.

On a side note, yeah, I'm a whore. But this is for the good of everyone in the NG community!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:19:59

Yeah, I saw those. Not as flashy as graphics, but they're ok.

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:24:31

At 8/23/05 12:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: On a side note, yeah, I'm a whore.

Thats the best part of the whole post.

Good news all around Tom ;)

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:25:24

Cool!Thanks Tom!

I have no idea whats it about lol!

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:26:21

At 8/23/05 12:25 PM, linkinparkbx wrote: Cool!Thanks Tom!

Well maybe if you actually read the post..

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:27:05

At 8/23/05 12:25 PM, linkinparkbx wrote: Cool!Thanks Tom!

Okay now i read it!Lol at Tom being a whore!XD.Dont say that man.

Is it 10 dalla?XD

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:28:18

No you're not :(

Here's a small idea that might bother a few people: Why not let the sponsors post ads in threads? I'm sure that might give you a bit more quid.

Text Link Ads

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:30:20

At 8/23/05 12:28 PM, arab_freak wrote:
Here's a small idea that might bother a few people: Why not let the sponsors post ads in threads? I'm sure that might give you a bit more quid.

God no, those are TERRIBLE.
I mean if really came down to it then yeah, but sites with "sponser" accounts want to make me vomit = /

Anyways geez, just use google ads. Can't they run ng??

hahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:35:08

At 8/23/05 12:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: On a side note, yeah, I'm a whore. But this is for the good of everyone in the NG community!

So you're a whore with a family to support? I guess that's honorable. :-b

... I'll give you a call on my next lonely night. :-D

Anyway, I'm all for the idea. Text ads are much better in my opinion than bunches of the more lame ads we sometimes have around here. Hopefully (not a big deal if it doesn't work that way) this could help eliminate some of the ads off the front page from when you watch a flash on the front page.

Glad to hear things are on the up and up as far as finances go, and I'm sure top notch flash artists and game designers are too, because it means they get to keep getting their monthly prizes.

Thanks for the update.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:36:24

Hey Tom, you do what you gotta do. Congratulations on your recent successes and achievements!

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:40:20

At 8/23/05 12:30 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: Anyways geez, just use google ads. Can't they run ng??

Google has never approved NG, we have too much of a stigma from being around too long and being "controversial."

I've seen far worse sites running Google ads, but for some reason we must be flagged.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:42:56

At 8/23/05 12:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: Google has never approved NG, we have too much of a stigma from being around too long and being "controversial."

I've seen far worse sites running Google ads, but for some reason we must be flagged.

They're just jealous ; )

Or you could get some other similar type of advertising.

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:43:57

At 8/23/05 12:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: I've seen far worse sites running Google ads, but for some reason we must be flagged.

Well.. Google sucks anyways.

¬¬

I bet it has something to do with the whole 'everyone on NG will one day kill their classmates' theory. Too bad =|

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:44:44

Does this mean we will see an end to the Jamster ads?

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseee?

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:45:24

I couldn't agree more, lol. (just kidding, of course). Good luck with the new advertising direction. Keep up the great work!

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:54:24

I've noticed alot of people comnplaining about the ammount of adds on NG. This should help solve that problem.

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 12:56:42

I have a queation Tom, do they pay you extra for each time someone clicks an ad, you know like, an extra 2 cents per pop up click and 3 cents per banner click or anything?

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:02:31

I bet you could make a hefty sum is you replaced the AH add in the BBS with a companies ad.
Trust me... everyone on the BBS knows about Alien Hominid ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:07:14

Holy Crap.
I just clicked on one of those "Your Ad Here" buttons... Tom you make quite a bit of those little text ad's in the mature section... $700 for a month.

I can't even imagine how much you're making of those big ads in the portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:08:28

At 8/23/05 12:19 PM, TomFulp wrote:
On a side note, yeah, I'm a whore.

xD

NG: Seeeeecrets.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:10:37

I forgot you actually get paid for those fucking ads.

Clicky Clicky!

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:11:41

At 8/23/05 12:40 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/23/05 12:30 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: Anyways geez, just use google ads. Can't they run ng??
Google has never approved NG, we have too much of a stigma from being around too long and being "controversial."

Liar! (see top)

Liar and a whore tsk tsk.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:12:24

At 8/23/05 12:56 PM, -Shadic- wrote: I have a queation Tom, do they pay you extra for each time someone clicks an ad, you know like, an extra 2 cents per pop up click and 3 cents per banner click or anything?

I don't think he does, but when people click the ads the companies see that somebody clicked the ad from newgrounds, so they won't stop giving Tom loads of money.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:16:30

At 8/23/05 12:56 PM, -Shadic- wrote: I have a queation Tom, do they pay you extra for each time someone clicks an ad, you know like, an extra 2 cents per pop up click and 3 cents per banner click or anything?

In general the ads on the site pay per impression, although if the click rate is bad advertisers won't continue to advertise.

For the new text link ads, advertisers pay a daily rate for the space. HOWEVER, that rate fluctuates based on the average click rate. If no one clicks the ad, the daily rate will go down. If EVERYONE clicks it, the daily rate goes up. If no advertisers specifically choose to advertise in that space, "network ads" from the third party ad company run in the space. These are from advertisers that chose to run across a network of various sites to fill excess inventory at a cheaper rate. For example, the current ad in that space did not choose to advertise there at our requested rate - they are just advertising across the network to fill available inventory at a cheap rate.

We only win if companies decide to specifically pay our rate to advertise in that space. The better the click rate, the more valuable the space and the more likely companies will choose to advertise there.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:18:27

At 8/23/05 01:07 PM, da_pope wrote: Holy Crap.
I just clicked on one of those "Your Ad Here" buttons... Tom you make quite a bit of those little text ad's in the mature section... $700 for a month.

I can't even imagine how much you're making of those big ads in the portal.

To re-iterate the previous post I made, we only get that rate when companies specifically choose to advertise in that space. Many of the ads you see are "run of network ads". These sponsored text links have the potentially to pay buttloads more than the other ads on the site, assuming companies have an interest in advertising on Newgrounds. Most of the ads on the site are "run of network" for other third party ad companies and pay a pathetic amount. We make up for it with sheer volume, though. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:20:29

At 8/23/05 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: We make up for it with sheer volume, though. :)

As is obvious :P

I just checked out the new ads and they are much better, good job there Tom.

Oh and I suggest putting that Flash Chatroom on the front page, its fucking awesome.. it's in the portal now XD

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:20:56

At 8/23/05 01:11 PM, JohnnyWang wrote:
Liar! (see top)

I could write a book about NG advertising. :)

When you DO happen to see Google ads running on NG, they are running through a third party ad company who has been approved by Google. Google probably doesn't know what sites the ad network is running the ads on, but the ad network keeps roughly half the money. It would be much better for us to run Google direct.

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:23:12

Tom the links dont open in a new window for me when im playing a game. Is it just me?

Cos its a real pain in the ass when you rack up a tasty score on HERD then try to earn some cash for the site and have your game fucking taken away.

Im running Interet explorer, is this happening to everyone?

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:25:09

Being in the banner ad design scene for a few years i actually can live with most ads. I do like that newgrounds doesnt have those interupting ads that they have at popular places like gamespot or something where you are literally taken to another page for a brief moment.
I dont mind banner ads when they are well designed... I think that ads can live well within a page if both the ad supplier and site itself are sensitive to design. For instance I love the alien hominid ads that run along the top and bottom. Yeah i know they are in house ads but they just work in harmony in terms of color palette and subtlety in its marketting. I've seen a few other super banners that work that well but i dont remember them off hand.

I'm fine with text link ads, never really bothered me and why not make an extra dime here and there.

-L

None

BBS Signature

Response to Text Link Ads 2005-08-23 13:26:39

MUCH better than ''winning'' something by shooting at sharks, celebs, etc. And i might click on ads, but i don't think that buying stuff is appropriate for someone in my age :)