00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KouteiFK just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Atheist Army

227,874 Views | 3,464 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:15:50

Called the Atheist Army purely for alliteration, this club is a place for Atheists to unite, and to talk about how frankly stupid religion is, to show concern over George Bush's desires to teach 'intelligent design' - that is, creationism, which is religion, as science, and to basically bicker about any possible way religion intrudes on our lives (when it shouldn't). There's a Jew Crew, a Catholic Crew, and probably plenty of other groups with a religious slant, so it's about time for a group dedicated to the least religious bunch of people on NG.

To join, you'll have to be prepared for a lot of flaming in this thread, as atheistic threads attract a lot of flaming, but it's all in good fun anyway. Don't incite any hatred, just keep to yourself unless someone else starts it. I suppose.

On top of that, the rules to this club are pretty much the same as the forum rules - no spam, no being racist. Promotion of open-mindedness please.

Have fun. It's pretty bleak, only having death to look forwards to, but I'd rather be like this than in denial, looking forward to some lie about angels and life after death. Honesty is the best policy, especially with yourself.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:18:54

hah first post...

yea can i join?

i think religion is just pointless.....there isnt a god

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:23:22

At 8/6/05 01:18 PM, Fiction_Is_Real wrote: hah first post...

yea can i join?

Of course you can.

Pointless... the idea that religion provided a moral framework to society - adultery and murder were still out of order before Moses got the Ten Commandments. Although God didn't seem to think so, killing the first born of every fucking Egyptian - and he's supposed to be the opposite of Satan.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:25:40

At 8/6/05 01:24 PM, marchingtyrants wrote: why would you want an army of atheists for?

The same reason you'd want a Jew or Catholic Crew.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:27:38

At 8/6/05 01:23 PM, Earfetish wrote:
At 8/6/05 01:18 PM, Fiction_Is_Real wrote: hah first post...

yea can i join?
Of course you can.

Pointless... the idea that religion provided a moral framework to society - adultery and murder were still out of order before Moses got the Ten Commandments. Although God didn't seem to think so, killing the first born of every fucking Egyptian - and he's supposed to be the opposite of Satan.

yea thats true.....

and i dont get the ark shit.......why would God do that?
like you said....he IS supposed to be the opposite of Satan.....

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:30:13

Does Buddhism factor in with your anti-religious discussion?

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:33:20

At 8/6/05 01:30 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote: Does Buddhism factor in with your anti-religious discussion?

All I know about Buddhism is that is still believes in a life force/soul that somehow magically travels to another body after death, although we can't remember this (so what's the point) and there's no evidence to support it other than anecdotes, and if we waste a lot of time meditating then we'll achieve 'enlightenment' magically and go to Nirvana after death, which is pretty much like Heaven.

So yeah, I think it's false too.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 13:44:27

At 8/6/05 01:41 PM, marchingtyrants wrote: so can i join???

Everyone can join. I reserve the right to throw people out. Not that that'll stop them posting in here or anything.

umm..request...earfetish, can i have the whole pic of your sig?

I don't have it.
Dave made it. (You dirty bastard).

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 14:02:44

At 8/6/05 01:33 PM, Earfetish wrote:
All I know about Buddhism is that is still believes in a life force/soul that somehow magically travels to another body after death, although we can't remember this (so what's the point) and there's no evidence to support it other than anecdotes, and if we waste a lot of time meditating then we'll achieve 'enlightenment' magically and go to Nirvana after death, which is pretty much like Heaven.

Actually Buddhist's don't believe in a soul at all, rather that everything is finite (which creates some debate on what there is left to be "reincarnated" as it were). Nirvana is open to much interpretation, I myself don't think of it as a "heaven", rather something like the next stage of enlightenment, some nigh-impossible mental state in which the individual is completely disconnected from the world/at peace. You could even say that death is Nirvana.
As for enlightenment, it's a perfectly logical goal, essentially to free yourself from motivations such as passion, anger, desire etc. All this is done via meditation, which is a seriously useful practice, even if you're not trying to achieve enlightenment/Nirvana.
Although you can go into depth in the Buddhist teachings and find illogical points, the core beliefs can all be explained in a logical way if one is willing to do so.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 14:13:51

I'm glad I'm nto religious. In my opinion, religion, which is supposd to lead you to peace, has been leading civilisations to war, causing beatings, getting people injured just because of what they are. I don't mind other people being in religions, but I'm not going to war just because that group of guys aren't Catholic. I am not gonna hate somebody, just because a book or teachign or writing says I should. I'll hate someone if they make me. All religion does is cause chaos and war, not "peace" as they say.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 14:53:51

Wowz, the Jew crew is making massive changes among the C&C

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 15:50:33

At 8/6/05 03:06 PM, marchingtyrants wrote: lol yeah...although i think they should be only posting in their own thread.

Nah, they're more than welcome to post here. We're all friends, religious or just plain sensible.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 15:51:46

I am kind of atheist, but I like my jewish tradition, so I will stick with the annoying religious guy lable.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 16:05:31

I'm a fervent catholic... but I think you guys deserve your own crew and I respect it- as long as you don't start spamming other crews with "Religion SuX!!!", I'm fine with it.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 16:16:12

At 8/6/05 04:05 PM, mariofan22 wrote: as long as you don't start spamming other crews with "Religion SuX!!!", I'm fine with it.

Well of course. And I'd imagine we're all up for having our beliefs questioned, as you'd expect in a thread like this, but we're not going to be overly preachy about it. The existance of a God is one of the most base philosophical questions, but we couldn't spam you because of a disagreement. Spamming major religious boards elsewhere on the internet would be far more entertaining.

jk

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 16:48:12

I think I'll join (me being Zerostar), altough I do object to this club to some extents. One's beliefs must be a personal interest, and not advertised much like Bush and the Catholic church and missionaries are doing etc. It's pretty much the only real thing I object to when it comes to religion. Religion does serve a function in life, and it's almost an instictual function (although in today's world, it really is an unnecessary function), but when people attempt to organize, religion becomes much more aggressive.

And in the same fashion, organizing a group that's belief is that there is no God is sort of the same idea. I will pretty much join just to share my opinion on the matter, but not in hopes of organizing ourselves to any extent.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 16:52:37

oh yes, regarding buddhism, don't confuse religion for philosophy. Buddhism should be welcome to join in my opinion.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 17:06:44

At 8/6/05 04:52 PM, The_Star_Syndicate wrote: oh yes, regarding buddhism, don't confuse religion for philosophy. Buddhism should be welcome to join in my opinion.

I have heard that argument, yeah - Buddhists don't necessarily believe in a deity and it's more a philosophy than a religion, incorporating life-after-death and the like.

Well, yeah, I've no real arguments for or against Buddhism being a religion or a philosophy, so I'll take your word for it. Although I personally don't believe in it to any extent, I always thought it seemed the religion I'd be most likely to dabble in, but trying meditation did nothing for me except make me very relaxed and sleepy.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:10:14

I'd like to join!
Religion is pure bullshit.
Damn, I heard someone say: "If religion is bullshit then why do people still believe in it these days?"
Lol, that was so dump :)
It's obvious (to me) that, religion (christanity how do u say that in english :P) was invented by some for that time smart guy. Who told everyone about his believes, to make money and start building a church. Well then, religion goes from generation to generation, and children believe what theĆ­r parents tell them to believe, so it goes from generation to generation. To the day we are now. Fortunatly alot people got smart and said: SCREW U RELIGION.
I hope this made any sense. :)
The best thing we got from religion is war.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:16:37

At 8/6/05 06:12 PM, Mick_the_champion wrote: Wow, I just lost about 60% of my respect for atheists from Yoow's post. Nice.

Fuck, what I have to do to make you lose the other 40%?

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:19:25

look guys i drew a picture of god.

The Atheist Army

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:37:31

At 8/6/05 06:12 PM, Mick_the_champion wrote: Wow, I just lost about 60% of my respect for atheists from Yoow's post. Nice.

Yeah, I would probably stay around here and debate atheism as opposed to religion, but I feel the place will just fill up with people who hate religion based on some loose knowledge of physics, without taking into account the moral and allegorical nature of these beliefs.
So in short; I can't be arsed to sit around explaining the function of religion in society. I do that enough in the politics forum.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:40:27

you relgious folk think youre quite smart dont you? last time i checked, believing in something blindly without any physical proof of its existance isnt exactly the signs of a master brain at work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:52:11

At 8/6/05 06:40 PM, cheesebizkit wrote: you relgious folk think youre quite smart dont you? last time i checked, believing in something blindly without any physical proof of its existance isnt exactly the signs of a master brain at work.

You see that's exactly the kind of post I'm talking about.
There's so much wrong with that statement I could write an essay on it.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 18:53:53

At 8/6/05 06:52 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote:
You see that's exactly the kind of post I'm talking about.
There's so much wrong with that statement I could write an essay on it.

please indulge. you people fascinate me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 19:00:37

At 8/6/05 06:56 PM, Mick_the_champion wrote:
At 8/6/05 06:53 PM, cheesebizkit wrote:

please indulge. you people fascinate me.
Yeah, you're unique yourself - a 16 year old with long hair who likes rock music and hates Religion =O

Take a number and stand with the others

if i was a cross eyed paraplegic with 14 STD's i would still be cooler than you

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 19:12:25

At 8/6/05 07:01 PM, Mick_the_champion wrote:
At 8/6/05 07:00 PM, cheesebizkit wrote:

if i was a cross eyed paraplegic with 14 STD's i would still be cooler than you
Well, if you take after your ma you probably are a paraplegic with 14 STDs...

hahaha you have strayed so far from a convincing arguement its laughable. a mother insult, oh dear. hahahaha

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 19:24:16

all you said was that i was one of many teenagers who has long hair and listen to rock music. i fail to see what that has to do with atheism.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 19:25:45

That's enough with the insults. If you want more atheists in the world, then rely on the reasons you became atheist, and the arguments that are in favour of it, not name-calling.

Response to The Atheist Army 2005-08-06 19:29:03

Can I join as a Goyan? And why do you call youself 'army' it is not an Army and not every group should have the same letter in both it's words, It is getting annoying.

BBS Signature