00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

my router sucks

1,234 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

my router sucks 2005-06-23 14:36:57

yeah, this isn't really about programming, but it is about tech stuff, so if anybody can help, by all means, and if not, sorry about the spamming.

I got this dynex router that I totally can't get to work. The wizard is useless, the manual is crap, tech support, yeah we all know how tech support is.

So I'm trying to share a PPoE connection over two computers, got one set up as the admin, got all the cables hooked up correctly, got the router configured to my isp's specs. The admin program is run totally over an internet browser. It's got controls to reboot the router and connect and disconnect, fool around with all the necessary ip addresses and whatever else. The thing simply won't connect and I can't figure out why.

I've got the lan set up right as far as I can tell, the wan setup is totally to the specs, but just seems wrong in that it's not working.

So I've got a dynamic PPoE account, a crappy router, a flawless setup as far as I can tell, other than when I push the connect button nothing happens.

Anybody offer any help or should I just go buy a different brand since they cost like nothing?

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-23 15:23:39

At 6/23/05 02:36 PM, jobelow wrote: Anybody offer any help or should I just go buy a different brand since they cost like nothing?

Okays, it shouldn't be the router brand, but the best routers that I've seen are linksys routers.

You should check the router tables to make sure it is detecting your computers. And make sure you have your computers set up properly(dynamic addressing and all that jazz).
The first thing you might want to try is to make sure that the ISP isn't checking your MAC address for one computer. If it is you should be able to spoof the address on the router and it should work properly.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-23 19:37:54

are you using a laptop?I tryed using a router on one of my friends laptops and even with the cd it still wont work...

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-23 23:38:40

Do you have a firewall? I have ZoneAlarm and I had a problem getting a connection through my router and I realized that ZA was blocking the connection. I felt pretty dumb afterwards.

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-24 02:19:44

ok, yes I'm using a laptop, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. I've tried with and without a firewall. Cloning my machine's MAC seems like a really good idea though. I think I'll try that.

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-24 14:53:48

ok, cloning did no good.

The reason I was thinking about just getting another brand of router is because this one is not very well supported and apparently doesn't work too well. At least not with my isp or computers or whatever the hell is keeping it from working. I'd at least like a brand with better tech support and a better admin program. I know it probably has nothing to do with the hardware itself, but it's easier at this point just to go out and get another one than try to find software workarounds. Unless they all turn out to be this impossible. But I would still rather save myself the $30, so if anybody's got anymore ideas, feel free...

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-24 17:07:50

Use a Linksys router. I had a problem connecting it, but then while I went out for a bit, my mother called Tech Support and got it working. And if my mother can get it working, than so can you. Linksys' are the best.

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-25 16:36:11

re: linsys

thanks. That's probably what I'll do. I think my isp actually sells them at a discount price anyway and they offer a little bit of additional tech support.

Response to my router sucks 2005-06-25 18:53:10

At 6/23/05 02:36 PM, jobelow wrote: I got this dynex router

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for your router?