00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bass guitar Club

50,114 Views | 443 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-03-13 14:33:43

I'm in!%u2660

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-03-13 16:50:40

this is my guitars

Bass guitar Club

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-07 15:38:01

*Blows dust away*

Jesus it took my a bit of digging to find this thread. I used to play, but gave up because I was young and stupid. However, I've started playing again, and I love it so much. I play a Hohner Rockwood, and a Crafter. I'm also looking into a cheap acoustic guitar, to take to campouts and things.

This crew better get up again.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-09 01:38:46

I been playin' bass for years. Love bass instruments. I'm not very wealthy though so instead of a Schecter 5 string Stiletto or whatever I have a black, bronze series B.C. Rich Warlock 4 string. Don't get me wrong, my favorite company is B.C. Rich and that bass is the shit but what I really want is a custom made Virgin 5 string (picture of a NT Virgin 4 string right off the site below). I won't tell the specs of what I want because I don't want to share, haha. Anyway, my favorite instrument is definitely bass.

Bass guitar Club

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-09 21:18:38

I've been thinking about it, and I'm not so sure I want to play the bass. I like guitar a lot, and bassist usually have it rough. I find that they are generally under appreciated by most people and don't usually stand out too much when it comes to music.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-10 11:43:57

At 12/9/10 09:18 PM, ChainsawNinjaZX wrote: I've been thinking about it, and I'm not so sure I want to play the bass. I like guitar a lot, and bassist usually have it rough. I find that they are generally under appreciated by most people and don't usually stand out too much when it comes to music.

If you feel that way then just jump around a lot on stage or be a fuckin crazy bassist. If you sing and play bass AND play keyboard like Geddy Fuckin Lee (who is the lead member of Rush) Then you got a good chance of idiots noticing you.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-10 14:01:47

At 12/9/10 09:18 PM, ChainsawNinjaZX wrote: I find that they are generally under appreciated by most people and don't usually stand out too much when it comes to music.

That's only when bass players are boring on-stage, and just sit around doing nothing. However, someone like Flea from RHCP is fucking mental on-stage, and pulls stunts such as playing upside down.

And Pete Wentz *Shudder* of Fallout Boy is the frontman, and has hundreds of girls after him.

Also if you write an amazing bassline that stands out in the song, you will definitely be recognised.

It's all about the person, not the instrument.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-18 15:27:41

In the process of learning this, it makes my fingers bleed, but it sounds so damn cool.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-22 23:28:40

At 12/18/10 03:27 PM, Dromedary wrote: In the process of learning this, it makes my fingers bleed, but it sounds so damn cool.

Wow, that's sad there, guy. Build your god damned calluses! It's not that great either.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-23 20:10:10

I've played guitar for years and recently started getting into bass more when I joined a thrash band as a bassist. I own this bass

I was wondering if there were any tips I should know about constructing basslines that are more complex then just following what the guitar is playing

Did you just put your balls on my sandwich?

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-24 16:24:20

At 12/23/10 08:10 PM, Lost-Thought wrote: I've played guitar for years and recently started getting into bass more when I joined a thrash band as a bassist. I own this bass

I was wondering if there were any tips I should know about constructing basslines that are more complex then just following what the guitar is playing

That's a funny looking bass, but it is an Epiphone so.. Well I'm not that great at explaining it but if you learn funk or jazz it'll help a lot with your bass playing and you'll be able to make much more exciting riffs than your guitarist. I haven't learned funk or jazz yet (but I know how much it would help me) but harmonizing and learning to walk the bass will give you an edge in creating your part.

The easiest way to learn how to make amazing and creative basslines is to look at different famous bassists and learn some of their songs on bass. Geddy Lee and Les Claypool are some great bassists, but you should also try looking outside the metal/rock genres!

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-27 13:23:18

I actually started learning the bass for the boss battle theme in Final Fantasy 7. Turns out that after a few months of not practicing enough I suck ass now! My stamina is low, I get sore and I even got a blister. I miss being in the orchestra, when I had to play every day. Fun stuff.

I even went to play some of the faster songs I used to play all the time with no problem (like Dir en grey's Cage) and couldn't even get through the first half without slowing down or screwing up. Hell, I can't even make my hand remember how to do a doublet with the first and second fingers and then hit another string with the ring finger. That PISSES me OFF!

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-27 16:42:32

At 12/27/10 01:23 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: That PISSES me OFF!

Don't worry, with practice you'll get it back. My stamina is pretty bad as well, but I haven't been playing a very long time. I'm gradually building up my calluses though, which is great.

Found this today, that guy is inspiring.

Also I'm learning spirit of the radio by rush, it's a brilliant bassline. It's unfortunate that it gets overshadowed by the guitar.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-29 04:08:24

At 12/27/10 04:42 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 12/27/10 01:23 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: That PISSES me OFF!
Don't worry, with practice you'll get it back. My stamina is pretty bad as well, but I haven't been playing a very long time. I'm gradually building up my calluses though, which is great.

Found this today, that guy is inspiring.

Also I'm learning spirit of the radio by rush, it's a brilliant bassline. It's unfortunate that it gets overshadowed by the guitar.

Dude that guy IS inspiring! AWE inspiring!

Yes! That song is the shit and it is pretty lame when the guitar takes center stage when the bass has it running for it's money.

This guy here does a very good bass cover of Far Cry (I learned the song by watching this vid) and does some others like YYZ and Limelight. He's pretty much spot on with the Far Cry cover and it's also nice to just listen to since the bass is nice and loud.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-30 19:26:25

I'll post my 3 basses when I have them all together in one place, right now they're scattered, one in my home, a Vintage Fretless bass, and 2 others, a Lynyrd Skynyrd-like bass and a pretty old, might-be Fender bass are at the rehearsal home.

I guess I'll post a pic of my Fretless when I get a cam.
I've been playing the bass for a year now, but I've practiced a lot and am getting really good really fast, I've mastered the technique pretty quickly, now I just need to improve my play-with-melody skills, right now I provide the beat in my band and other play along, but I need to be able to better play along with others, gonna take me some months of playing along with tv music.
Then I'm gonna play along with blues, then Jazz and then I'll be fine.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-30 23:34:00

I just got a bass for Christmas and sometimes when I try to play to a note, the damn thing rattles. What am I doing? Am I plucking it too hard or something

Response to Bass guitar Club 2010-12-31 06:35:04

Ahh, I see. You have recieved an electric bass for christmas and you just can't stand that raddle and buzz! I suggest that you adjust the truss rod, which should be located within the headstock of your bass. You can learn how to do this by simply searching for instructional sites on google. I'm sure they'll help you more than a scatterbrained multi instrumentalist like myself!

In fact, I never bothered to fix the buzzing on my Warlock! I should probably get arouind to that shouldn't I?

Does anyone else have any useful advice for this fellow?

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-02 05:36:45

At 1/1/11 01:34 PM, EggoBleeder wrote: I think Cliff Burton is an awesome bassist. And I am going to get my bass amp on the 6th.

Amp, huh? What kind?

Also, I'm getting new cables for my electric instruments sometime soon. Does anyone have any good suggestions for cables that don't use gold as the conductor? (gold wears away more easily)

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-04 15:35:27

At 1/2/11 05:36 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Also, I'm getting new cables for my electric instruments sometime soon. Does anyone have any good suggestions for cables that don't use gold as the conductor? (gold wears away more easily)

Gold conductors have always been fine for me! Hell, I've got one that used to be my dads, which is pretty old, and it still sounds perfect.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-05 20:40:49

That may be true and I wouldn't doubt you but, being a multi instrumentalist, I'd be constantly plugging and unplugging different instruments. So gold is a no no for me.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-07 17:10:48

What other instruments do you play?

Also, does anybody have any idea how I would acheive this effect on a bass? No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get it quite right.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-12 08:28:35

At 1/7/11 05:10 PM, Dromedary wrote: What other instruments do you play?

Also, does anybody have any idea how I would acheive this effect on a bass? No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get it quite right.

I play baglama saz (kisa sap), guitar, upright bass, sanshin, bass guitar, keyboard, mandolin. I've got an electric acoustic bass and an a/e resonator guitar, an electric B.C. Rich Warlock guitar and an electric B.C. Rich Warlock bass. I have four keyboards, two of which are the same brand and I plug those into amps as well. So that's why my cables get fucked so quickly.

It's just fuzz on bass with a phaser on it as well. To get the correct phasing just screw with it 'til it sounds right.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-12 15:55:36

At 1/12/11 08:28 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I play baglama saz (kisa sap), guitar, upright bass, sanshin, bass guitar, keyboard, mandolin. I've got an electric acoustic bass and an a/e resonator guitar, an electric B.C. Rich Warlock guitar and an electric B.C. Rich Warlock bass. I have four keyboards, two of which are the same brand and I plug those into amps as well. So that's why my cables get fucked so quickly.

That's an impressive repertoire. What make is your acoustic bass? I got one recently for about £40, and it's brilliant. It's a Lorenzo (never heard of it before I bought it)

It's just fuzz on bass with a phaser on it as well. To get the correct phasing just screw with it 'til it sounds right.

Thanks mate, I've got it sounding pretty good.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-13 12:07:04

Acoustic Bass

Eh, mines a Crestwood. Y'know it's cheap if it's a Crestwood but I like it. Plus, the wife got me it soooooo....

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-18 20:04:59

Hey, I recently started playing bass and love it, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some songs to learn. I don't really care what genre, just as long as it's good to learn and not too difficult. Thanks.

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. "

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-19 12:04:49

Hmm... Songs that are good to learn but not too difficult... Moonspell - Raven Claws is easy and catchy. Wow, I'm having an idiot moment here so I'll try to think of more and post 'em later.

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-19 16:47:16

At 1/18/11 08:04 PM, Odinman wrote: Hey, I recently started playing bass and love it, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some songs to learn. I don't really care what genre, just as long as it's good to learn and not too difficult. Thanks.

The first song everybody seems to learn?

Seven nation army by the white stripes.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-20 03:35:05

I playing bass guitar for practical lessons or what?

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-21 13:00:10

At 1/20/11 03:35 AM, sugarsimon wrote: I playing bass guitar for practical lessons or what?

What the fuck are you saying?

You no speak-a Englisch?

Response to Bass guitar Club 2011-01-23 16:04:24

At 1/20/11 03:35 AM, sugarsimon wrote: I playing bass guitar for practical lessons or what?

...You need practical lessons in English.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature