New Topic Respond to this Topic
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 07:46:31 Reply

At 9/22/09 07:38 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, this morning Sydney woke to red/orange skies. I envy you bastards that get snowstorms while Australia gets dust storms. I woke up thinking it was the apocalypse.

Should have taken some pics of the sky - sounds awesome.

At 9/23/09 12:03 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Hey guys, still alive here. Didn't have internet for a week or so due to new house schnaffles, but it's all up and running now.

Wondering where you'd gotten to. It's been too quiet here lately :(

SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 08:07:00 Reply

So, i didn't take this photo, another of my friends did. I looked outside my window, and all i could see was orange/red. If you walked outside you'd coat your throat with dust. My ute was covered in a tinge of red.

It's a white ute. And they're predicting another on Saturday.

~The C&C Regulars Lounge~

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 08:20:45 Reply

At 9/23/09 08:07 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, i didn't take this photo, another of my friends did. I looked outside my window, and all i could see was orange/red. If you walked outside you'd coat your throat with dust. My ute was covered in a tinge of red.

:D That looks awesome. You're right, it does look all apocalypse like. Alot bettert than the damn thunder storms we've been having here the last 3 days :( The weather changed from hot to quite cold all of a sudden.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 08:35:31 Reply

At 9/20/09 04:10 PM, NEVR wrote: Also, been a BBS mod for 1 year today. Made a news post about it if anyone is bothered . :)

What you didn't tell them was that anyone pretending to care gets banned.

<3 NEVR :)

At 9/21/09 09:56 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Greatest lock message in like, forever.

Well, it had it coming. Poozy has a wicked sense of humour.

At 9/22/09 06:36 AM, Bahamut wrote: I never paid real attention to the NGPD so unless I missed out something big, I'm surprised the thread got locked, although considering how the last page went, I can see why that happened. However, you are right. It is a funny lock message.

Something similar happened to A very english post, before I came over here and started the English Gentleman's Club. Very sad :(

At 9/23/09 08:07 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, i didn't take this photo, another of my friends did. I looked outside my window, and all i could see was orange/red. If you walked outside you'd coat your throat with dust. My ute was covered in a tinge of red.

Awesome picture. It's clear to me that Mother Nature pwns all.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 10:25:09 Reply

At 9/22/09 06:23 PM, XIII13 wrote: So, you can say I'm a little pissed about it.

I now how you feel. It's not pleasant for a thread you regularly posted in to go down like that but shit happens. I remember the Addicted to NG Club years back and I was really disappointed when it got locked without a reason why. However, looking back at it now, I guess it was for the better.

I'm still addicted to this site. ;)
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 10:36:31 Reply

At 9/23/09 10:25 AM, Bahamut wrote: I now how you feel. It's not pleasant for a thread you regularly posted in to go down like that but shit happens. I remember the Addicted to NG Club years back and I was really disappointed when it got locked without a reason why. However, looking back at it now, I guess it was for the better.

I'm still addicted to this site. ;)

Why for recreating a locked topic of course! :P Link. I was pretty pissed off when the OCP got locked. Matter of fact, I stopped coming to the site for a few years, and I still think about it now and again. The difference between our threads and the NGPD was that the NGPD actually gave back to NG by helping the portal. Who knows how many stolen/malicious flashes were taken care of by the them. I personally think that the NGPD locking was unjustified to say the least, even as a temporary one. Although he sure is taking his time sweet time reopening it.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Reader
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 10:59:39 Reply

At 9/22/09 06:23 PM, XIII13 wrote: Basically, we were chatting, because there was absolutley nothing in the portal worth reporting, and Poozy got pissed. I don't have a problem with it, as long as he judges everyone else by the same standards. Read the last few pages of the EGB, and it's pretty much all about cooking, and fan fiction. So, you can say I'm a little pissed about it.

I don't mean to butt in or anything, since although I made the first few warnings it was Poozy who ultimately decided to lock the thread, but you are ignoring the fact that there were plenty of very clear warnings prior to the lock, and that poozy's post leaves open the idea that it may be unlocked, supposing the members of the thread do not troll around the BBS complaining about its locking or pestering him via PM or IM about it. He didn't get pissed at them, he was just done with the thread.

I understand that it can be frustrating to have a long-running thread in this forum locked and for those overly curious as to why we did what we did, so that you may avoid the same fate, here's what happened:

After cleaning up after a troll/feeding of troll incident or something like it in the thread, I made an initial warning.(5 or 6 posts up from the bottom). A few days later, I made another mention of my warning. And in June I issued a more serious second warning to the thread, with poozy voicing the same concern. (middle of the page). And again in August I left another reminder.

So this was not simply that the last few pages of the thread was an isolated instance of bad behavior, but was a pattern of warning by mods and then forgetting/not caring and continuing to spew crappy posts. This really shouldn't have come as a surprise that we would follow through on our warnings after giving them so many chances.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/2/2017] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 12:32:23 Reply

At 9/23/09 10:59 AM, Malachy wrote: And again in August I left another reminder.

Fixed.

So this was not simply that the last few pages of the thread was an isolated instance of bad behavior, but was a pattern of warning by mods and then forgetting/not caring and continuing to spew crappy posts. This really shouldn't have come as a surprise that we would follow through on our warnings after giving them so many chances.

The problem with leaving warnings like that in threads you're annoyed about is that they get buried in a few days. You leave a warning; those who saw it will take heed; it gets buried; new members join up, oblivious to how much shit the thread is already in; the need for another warning appears. It's never going to end well that way.

However, that's not your fault. Tails has his own NGPD forum (which all NGPD members are obliged to use), and I must've told him to put all these warnings into a sticky thread in there at least half a dozen times. The ability to circumvent the problem of things getting buried was always there; why it was never used, I'll never know.

My main argument about the whole thing is not that it got locked (I was basically done with the thread anyway), but that the EGB's recent pages look much worse than the NGPD, and so far no mod has said anything. Seriously; for the last 10 pages it's been hardly anything besides blog-whoring, sucking each other's cocks over fanfics, cooking recipies (no, really!) and idle banter. There have been a total of about 17 (correctly) reported flashes in the last 10 pages. That's less than 2 per page. That's pathetic, even by the NGPD's standards, let alone what is supposed to be the "real" portal protection club.

Why the hell is one club allowed to degenerate into a sub-lounge without so much as a single word from anyone, while another similar thread gets locked for it?

NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 13:35:13 Reply

At 9/23/09 12:32 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: The problem with leaving warnings like that in threads you're annoyed about is that they get buried in a few days. You leave a warning; those who saw it will take heed; it gets buried; new members join up, oblivious to how much shit the thread is already in; the need for another warning appears. It's never going to end well that way.

At a glance, some of the members involved in shitting up the thread this latest time were ones who had been involved in shitting it up before... besides, if it's a well organised club where people catch up properly on what they've missed in the thread (without necessarily replying to everything), then it's not a problem.

Why the hell is one club allowed to degenerate into a sub-lounge without so much as a single word from anyone, while another similar thread gets locked for it?

There's like one user in the EGB making bad posts over the last 2 pages, and even though it might be a sub-lounge at the moment, the quality of discussion is far better than that of the NGPD.

Anyway, it's locked now, time to move on.

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-23 19:05:34 Reply

At 9/23/09 01:35 PM, NEVR wrote: At a glance, some of the members involved in shitting up the thread this latest time were ones who had been involved in shitting it up before... besides, if it's a well organised club where people catch up properly on what they've missed in the thread (without necessarily replying to everything), then it's not a problem.

Exactly. Like I said, the warning burials weren't the mods' fault. More constant reminders could've been set up in places where all the members could easily see, and yet they weren't. No-one can logically blame the mod team for that.

There's like one user in the EGB making bad posts over the last 2 pages, and even though it might be a sub-lounge at the moment, the quality of discussion is far better than that of the NGPD.

Hmm... I was not aware that 'off-topic banter' was allowed as long as it showed significant thought and discussion potential.
Makes sense, I suppose. These forums ARE for discussion, after all.

Anyway, it's locked now, time to move on.

Indeed. The EGB has decided that if the lock turns out to be very lengthy or permanent, all those who were NGPD members at the time of the lock will be allowed temporary membership into the club as guardsmen until they meet the requirements of full EGB membership.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-24 09:03:31 Reply

At 9/23/09 10:36 AM, michelinman wrote: Why for recreating a locked topic of course! :P Link.

You know, I haven't even seen this thread before. :o I'm surprised it lasted for 500 pages (maybe more depending on how many posts have been deleted since).

At 9/23/09 10:59 AM, Malachy wrote: Problems with the NGPD

Ah, this gives me the details on what went wrong exactly. Thanks for explaining.

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-25 09:33:25 Reply

At 9/23/09 12:03 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Hey guys, still alive here. Didn't have internet for a week or so due to new house schnaffles, but it's all up and running now.

I'll probably sign a contract on Monday for a new apartment. :)

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-25 19:29:16 Reply

At 9/25/09 09:33 AM, Andersson wrote: I'll probably sign a contract on Monday for a new apartment. :)

Out of curiosity, how much is it to rent a 3 bedroom apartment roughly out the in Sweden?

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-28 08:21:57 Reply

So I had a pretty good weekend - got myself a new suit for work, watched England beat South Africa in the cricket, watched Lewis Hamilton win the race in Singapore and the New York Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox. Okay, there were a few ups and downs, but not as many as a guy named Joey Logano had in the NASCAR yesterday :P

Awesome rolling.

"We had a pretty good Home Depot Toyota, we took off good!" He seemed to enjoy himself, didn't he?

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-28 19:53:20 Reply

At 9/28/09 08:21 AM, Coop83 wrote: Lewis Hamilton win the race in Singapore

He deserved that win, he drove well, despite his lack of KERS at some points during the race. Also, i guess we can start saying congratulations to Button on becoming world champion now, even with 3 races left, he only needs to keep 2 places ahead of Barrichello to keep himself safe.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-29 05:59:53 Reply

At 9/28/09 07:53 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: He deserved that win, he drove well, despite his lack of KERS at some points during the race. Also, i guess we can start saying congratulations to Button on becoming world champion now, even with 3 races left, he only needs to keep 2 places ahead of Barrichello to keep himself safe.

*does not want to tempt providence*

I can say with absolute certainty that once again, from the 13 championships won by British drivers, there will not be a successful defence for Lewis Hamilton. If Button becomes the 10th different Brit to win the world championship, I don't think he will be capable of defence, with the budgets of McLaren and Ferrari to bring into it.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-29 06:04:47 Reply

At 9/29/09 05:59 AM, Coop83 wrote: with the budgets of McLaren and Ferrari to bring into it.

Speaking of both teams, it's 70% confirmed that the asshole that is Alonso is going to be taking Raikkonen's spot, and that Raikkonen is rumored to be moving back to McLaren?

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 04:34:15 Reply

At 9/29/09 06:04 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Speaking of both teams, it's 70% confirmed that the asshole that is Alonso is going to be taking Raikkonen's spot, and that Raikkonen is rumored to be moving back to McLaren?

We'll hear an official announcement about it probably tomorrow. Alonso pushes Kimi to McLaren and Kubica takes Alonso's drive in the Renault. No word on Kovalainen as yet, but silly season is about to begin.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 08:12:38 Reply

My flatmate has a 200W 2.1 speaker system (subwoofer 120W+2x30W), and recently the cable to one of the 30W stereo speakers broke. So instead of getting it replaced, or living in mono sound, he bought ANOTHER COPY.

Now he has a 3.2 system up with both subwoofers, and three stereo speakers. On half volume his entire room shakes.
And I can hear his music crystal clear in any room in the house.

I weep for the loss of a normal sleep pattern.

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 19:28:39 Reply

At 9/30/09 08:12 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I weep for the loss of a normal sleep pattern.

Shouldn't he respect his flat mates? By the sounds of it he's keeping you up. Shouldn't you say something?

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 20:39:14 Reply

lol naw, it's cool bro, we're tight.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 20:39:34 Reply

besides i troll him constantly around the flat too

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 20:44:30 Reply

Ah, ok. I bet practical jokes go down well in your place :)

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-09-30 20:47:27 Reply

yeah, my house is pretty awesome, we're all computer scientists, we're all at least reasonably into video games, so lan parties and shit ahoy, we have between the four of us four decent pcs+laptops so we can play whatever, we have an xbox and a gamecube in the lounge, and a case of beer in the fridge.

all is well

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 05:57:25 Reply

At 9/30/09 08:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: and a case of beer in the fridge.

all is well

Amen. Could add a few girls for the night, but beer is fine. Although i myself don't enjoy drinking beer, i see it as more of a social drink.

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 08:26:00 Reply

<-------------Not a beer drinker :/

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 08:47:23 Reply

At 10/1/09 08:26 AM, Life-Stream wrote: <-------------Not a beer drinker :/

Same.

<----------- Cider drinker.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 08:58:54 Reply

At 9/30/09 08:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: yeah, my house is pretty awesome, we're all computer nerds, we're all at least reasonably into video games,

Well, with a career path like that mapped out, you freaking well should be ;)

and a case of beer in the fridge.

all is well

Oh well, at least it's not a total failure, you losing all of this sleep then.

Beer... Now there's a temporary solution.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 09:57:31 Reply

Happy 666th page guys :3 haha.

following on with the recent trend...

<------- Bourbon/Scotch drinker. Straight, on ice, or with coke, depending on what brand it is.

Though when I'm not alcohol-ing, water, or lemon lime and bitters is my preferred drink. Energy drinks are cool too.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to ~The C&C Regulars Lounge~ 2009-10-01 10:17:31 Reply

At 10/1/09 09:57 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Though when I'm not alcohol-ing, water, or lemon lime and bitters is my preferred drink. Energy drinks are cool too.

Cranberry + Blueberry for me :).
Or milk :).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature