00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do Not ...

29,541 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-29 12:32:54

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-29 17:27:15

Ohhhh ok thanks

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 07:11:18

somebody submited a video game music, but not remixed is origanal from the game
and i see that acount is not banned

I DON'T NEED A SIGNATURE

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 07:20:11

At 12/30/10 07:11 AM, TheSmashbros45 wrote: somebody submited a video game music, but not remixed is origanal from the game
and i see that acount is not banned

probably an oversight or something, post it in this place and it may or may not be removed

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 10:29:46

Hi there,
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but for future audio and flash reference on my part I have to ask this. So let's just say I'm making a Metal Gear flash and was going to add 5 seconds of the intro theme and a disc scratch noise, that's no longer acceptable correct? Would someone creating na audio portal remix be the acceptable way to go then?

Thanks in advance for the answer. :)

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 10:58:09

At 12/30/10 10:29 AM, Shock-Dingo wrote: Hi there,
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but for future audio and flash reference on my part I have to ask this. So let's just say I'm making a Metal Gear flash and was going to add 5 seconds of the intro theme and a disc scratch noise, that's no longer acceptable correct? Would someone creating na audio portal remix be the acceptable way to go then?

Thanks in advance for the answer. :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1216 941/1

That is a post by tom fulp (creator of newgrounds) ...kind of relevant to your question.

Now back to your inquiry.
Uploading audio from a video game is against the rules because it is copyrighted material.
Putting 5 seconds of audio from a video game into a flash is also against the rules.
You can request an audio artist from the portal to cover it for you for your flash. I mean technically that is what we are here for.

you can create a thread in the audio forum requesting your audio needs for your flash. We are a community that SHOULD be composed of entirely original work.

yes yes yes i know people still do it. (put copyrighted music in flash). That doesn't mean you should because in the long run the flash may eventually be deleted by the admins. And GOD FORBID some asshole from a video game company has a hard-on for newgrounds decides to pursue legal action the flash will be deleted without hesitation by the admins to avoid any sort of legal trouble. Also you will see in the post from tom that he is encouraging ORIGINAL work.

I hope that helps

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 12:04:40

You were a major help. I thank you. :)

Oh, quick question, does this apply to older stuff as well? Or is it only affecting stuff from now (date of announcement) on? I used a bit of music from an old japanese show for a voice demo a few years back, do I need to take it down?

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 12:08:13

At 12/30/10 12:04 PM, Shock-Dingo wrote: You were a major help. I thank you. :)

No problem man.

I wouldn't worry about old stuff at all. If it becomes necessary in the future to remove content im sure the site admins will make it known and take appropriate steps to remedy the situation.

Response to Do Not ... 2010-12-30 12:41:28

Cool, thanks for the info man.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-02-19 22:50:37

Hey guys, I have a question.

Would this infringe copyright if I make a techno song that sounds similar to this song? I won't be using any of the original instruments or audio. There would be no vocals in my song.

Response to Do Not ... 2011-02-19 23:03:17

At 2/19/11 10:50 PM, Giantsgiants wrote: Hey guys, I have a question.

Would this infringe copyright if I make a techno song that sounds similar to this song? I won't be using any of the original instruments or audio. There would be no vocals in my song.

That would be fine, as long as you are not using copyrighted material you should be ok.
Covers of songs are allowed into the portal. As long as you create everything in your submission from scratch you will be fine

Response to Do Not ... 2011-02-20 20:13:55

At 2/20/11 08:00 PM, Lacrioso wrote: Curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I must submit a question;
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 99575
Is this okay? I'm sure most if not all of us are either familiar with this piece or the video - the author claims he/she has "re-arranged" and "edited" it enough to be able to confidently claim it as their own work.

I'm calling shenanigans. Thoughts?

if it's a copyrighted song, it doesn't matter how much re-arranging and editing the "author" did..it's still a bannable offense.

Response to Do Not ... 2011-05-19 11:24:17

At 2/20/11 08:13 PM, JackRocker wrote:
if it's a copyrighted song, it doesn't matter how much re-arranging and editing the "author" did..it's still a bannable offense.

ok... last question, and I think this may clear it up for other remixers/samplers as well.

Are these permissible on NG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOnj4Tfi YU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://tindeck.com/listen/gocl
http://tindeck.com/listen/nhfu

yo, the name's danjo jockeydisc with a "y."

I was so excited about making an account just to play "LEVEL UP!" that I forgot the "y."

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-25 21:50:13

At 8/15/08 08:48 PM, SBB wrote:
At 8/15/08 06:02 PM, nataSNoose wrote: I use samples from cd's and sound websites that say I can share samples under a creative commons liscense.
Would I get banned if people believe that the free samples I use off of sound websites probably stolen or cutted from some copyrighted source?
Samples from sites like Freesound.org and similar sites with royalty-free samples are generally fine. If the original source is a copyrighted sample, it's still, well copyrighted. Just use common sense when browsing and downloading samples. If you are worrying about whether sample might be copyrighted, just avoid using it and everybody will be happy happy

I have no idea what those two last lines were about. Sorry. I don't understand why you worry since you're approved long ago anyway.

I got royalty-free samples a few years ago. Free download and everything. But not long after, when I went back to get more, they were not royalty-free. What does that mean about my legal use of them?

And I have a question about MIDIs, what is considered a rip, and copyright about the MIDI. Let's say I have some MIDIs of some VG songs, and particular instruments are playing in multiple channels, meaning there are multiple note tracks for each of the instruments. Now, what if I want to take only a part of each and put them together with completely different instruments? Is this a rip? I was reading about the sheet music copyright and this has me all confused. The picture below perhaps explains what I mean about the notes. My latest song, Galloper, was made this way, by method of MIDI splicing. It sounds like neither of the original melodies. Is this wrong?

Do Not ...

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 03:24:55

At 9/25/11 09:50 PM, Tydusis wrote: It sounds like neither of the original melodies. Is this wrong?

Never thought to write your own music ?
To me, music is like love. The parallel would be:
"I have a girlfriend and I love her very much but last party I had oral sex with another girl and after I had anal sex with another. It was like neither of the original sex with my girlfriend.
Do that really count as cheating?"

On your profile is written "I am just a guy who wants to create", so, why not create ?

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 08:50:47

At 9/26/11 03:24 AM, sorohanro wrote:
At 9/25/11 09:50 PM, Tydusis wrote: It sounds like neither of the original melodies. Is this wrong?
Never thought to write your own music ?
To me, music is like love. The parallel would be:
"I have a girlfriend and I love her very much but last party I had oral sex with another girl and after I had anal sex with another. It was like neither of the original sex with my girlfriend.
Do that really count as cheating?"

On your profile is written "I am just a guy who wants to create", so, why not create ?

Well, I guess that's a good point, and an interesting analogy, but to me, the parallel would be: "I have a snowmobile, a motorcycle, and a car. I want to build a catapult of them. Similar to that TV show no one probably remembers, Junkyard Wars."
With some of the songs I'm working on, I am taking parts of songs, ripping and shredding them apart, and re-purposing the notes for roles they were never intended. For example, I might take some notes from a guitar solo and make it part of the bassline, and perhaps vice versa. I like to take a "Build it with LEGOs" approach sometimes, with notes being LEGOs. People build sculptures with LEGOs. For the moment, I am trying to basically take a hammer to some sculptures and take the broken pieces that look like they can fit together and see if they do--like a jigsaw puzzle. A sculpture of a head and a sculpture of a car could yield a sculpture of a house or tree. Now is that wrong?
I don't intend this to be a flame, but I don't see how there anything wrong with what I'm doing. It's creative interpretation of multiple pieces of work.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 10:27:25

Go ahead and make MIDI based songs AS LONG AS YOU ALTER THEM CONSIDERABLY AS TO BE UNRECOGNIZABLE.

What you're doing is somewhere in between a MIDI rip and your own "creation". Deconstruct those MIDI's several stages more and you're okay in my books.

Otherwise, you'd just be another MIDI ripper...

And oh, as another precaution, in case it hasn't already been emphasized for you, don't ever use any copyrighted material in your songs...

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 14:53:41

At 9/26/11 10:27 AM, brokendeck wrote: Go ahead and make MIDI based songs AS LONG AS YOU ALTER THEM CONSIDERABLY AS TO BE UNRECOGNIZABLE.

What you're doing is somewhere in between a MIDI rip and your own "creation". Deconstruct those MIDI's several stages more and you're okay in my books.

Otherwise, you'd just be another MIDI ripper...

And oh, as another precaution, in case it hasn't already been emphasized for you, don't ever use any copyrighted material in your songs...

Thank you for clearing all that up for me; it all makes sense now. I have been asking all these kind of remix, cover, MIDI rip, and copyright questions lately because I wanted to clearly know where the boundaries are so that I don't go too far and get banned or worse.

One last question and I'm done: if someone uploads a sample that is copyrighted to a royalty-free site, and an artist uses it, unable to tell if it is a rip or recreation, who is in violation of copyright and, heavens forbid, who would get a notice infringement, the sampler, the artist, or both?

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 17:09:26

At 9/26/11 02:53 PM, Tydusis wrote:
One last question and I'm done: if someone uploads a sample that is copyrighted to a royalty-free site, and an artist uses it, unable to tell if it is a rip or recreation, who is in violation of copyright and, heavens forbid, who would get a notice infringement, the sampler, the artist, or both?

Just play it safe and don't use those questionable samples.

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 17:44:21

One more question: are classical pieces off-limits for re-imagining (use part of a piece by Bach and make a dance song out it, for example)?

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 17:59:02

At 9/26/11 05:44 PM, Tydusis wrote: One more question: are classical pieces off-limits for re-imagining (use part of a piece by Bach and make a dance song out it, for example)?

Firstly about your MIDI question just stick to what brokendeck told you. The main point here is trying to make sure the remixes don't sound anything like the MIDI, so if you have to change the structure around, add your own notes here and there, leave out a few parts, etc... then please do so.

MIDI rips are strictly against the rules and if you don't make the remix as different from the original/MIDI file as possible, especially when it's your first submission, then not only are you being pretty unoriginal but you may even find your track deleted and/or your account permanently banned.

To answer your new question, yes, it's perfectly alright. Just don't forget never to use any copyrighted sounds from the classical pieces in your remix!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2011-09-26 18:03:23

At 9/26/11 05:44 PM, Tydusis wrote: One more question: are classical pieces off-limits for re-imagining (use part of a piece by Bach and make a dance song out it, for example)?

You can COVER a song by Bach, you just can't use part of a copyrighted recording of a song by Bach. So since Bach is public domain, you can cover him anytime you'd like, you just can't use anybody else's recording or recording of a performance of Bach in your own piece.