00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,351 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-10-28 08:45:15

At 10/24/13 12:15 AM, Breed wrote:
At 10/23/13 11:07 AM, BlueOceans wrote: Should the kick and bass be panned to opposite sides in dance music?
Feel free to experiment a little with that but generally in EDM you dont want to pan anything low frequency very intensely. Keep things around or under 10% panning.

Also, dont use that as a cheat for getting them to work. A lot of people "hide" things in stereo, when what they really just need is better EQ and sidechain compression. Always double check a mix in mono to make sure things actually sound good together.

This. Honestly the best answer on this whole page. You're better off finding sounds to fit the structure of the song you want to make, rather than forcing the sounds you have to fit in awkwardly.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-03 07:12:47

What's best way to raise the volume of a track after its all been mixed etc? When I was done mixing I was at about -5db then after I mastering I ended up on 0db. I want to raise the volume, its not loud enough, but I don't want it to clip.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-03 07:31:04

At 11/3/13 07:12 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: What's best way to raise the volume of a track after its all been mixed etc? When I was done mixing I was at about -5db then after I mastering I ended up on 0db. I want to raise the volume, its not loud enough, but I don't want it to clip.

try a decent master compressor. endorphin is a really good free one, i used to use it to "master" speedcore stuff so it's definitely capable of loud haha (it's actually really nuanced and a great plugin, so yeah!)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-04 16:24:08

try a decent master compressor. endorphin is a really good free one, i used to use it to "master" speedcore stuff so it's definitely capable of loud haha (it's actually really nuanced and a great plugin, so yeah!)

thanks that seems to be doing the trick! But im back with another question...
I have a drum loop which i want to sidechain to my kick and snare, how do i do this?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-09 00:43:08

Hey guys I'm working in nuendo and I'm trying to export a multi track audio file that has been rough mixed..so that I can write a beat to the track. When I open the file in fruity loops 9 producer edition..it's looping the first four bars of the imported track rather than allowing me to write a beat for the whole track. I would prefer to write the beat for certain segments of the track and cut and paste each part..verse, chorus, bridge etc. but it's keeps looping part of the imported track and only goes to 64 bars when my imported track is 74. Help!!!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-09 08:14:15

At 11/4/13 04:24 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote:

thanks that seems to be doing the trick! But im back with another question...
I have a drum loop which i want to sidechain to my kick and snare, how do i do this?

Route the kick and snare to a sub buss without removing their master routing. Asign the loop to a buss. Add fruity peak controller to that sub buss (it will mute the sub buss which is good in this case cuz the originals will not be muted in their master routing). Right click the volume of the loop, and select Link to Controller. Select the sub buss peak in the dropdown menu in the middle of the link-to-controller settings. Then, set the graph to inverted using its drop down menu, then click accept. You can now adjust the peak controller settings to effectively side chain to both the kick and snare without touching the originals.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-10 14:41:38

Route the kick and snare to a sub buss without removing their master routing. Asign the loop to a buss. Add fruity peak controller to that sub buss (it will mute the sub buss which is good in this case cuz the originals will not be muted in their master routing). Right click the volume of the loop, and select Link to Controller. Select the sub buss peak in the dropdown menu in the middle of the link-to-controller settings. Then, set the graph to inverted using its drop down menu, then click accept. You can now adjust the peak controller settings to effectively side chain to both the kick and snare without touching the originals.

when i route them to a sub bus which do i choose 1. route to this track only 2. sidechain to this track or 3. sidechain to this track only. these are the options that come up when i right click my bus.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-10 22:36:07

At 11/10/13 02:41 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: when i route them to a sub bus which do i choose 1. route to this track only 2. sidechain to this track or 3. sidechain to this track only. these are the options that come up when i right click my bus.

Just left click it. That way you are just adding that routing without removing the master routing.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-11 04:40:52

At 11/10/13 10:36 PM, Breed wrote:
At 11/10/13 02:41 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: when i route them to a sub bus which do i choose 1. route to this track only 2. sidechain to this track or 3. sidechain to this track only. these are the options that come up when i right click my bus.
Just left click it. That way you are just adding that routing without removing the master routing.

Thank you, you have been very helpful, its made things a whole lot easier.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-21 11:38:16

At 11/3/13 07:12 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: What's best way to raise the volume of a track after its all been mixed etc? When I was done mixing I was at about -5db then after I mastering I ended up on 0db. I want to raise the volume, its not loud enough, but I don't want it to clip.

If you want to raise the volume as much as possible but don't want to use a compressor, I'd recommend the Lookahead Limiter: http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/effect-plugins/dynamics (Scroll down until you see it)
It's a very simple Limiter, but imo has the best sound. I use it it to master all my tracks. :D

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-21 22:41:20

since switching to fl 11,

if i click play at a point where a note is halfway through, the note thats halfway through plays.

Its very annoying for my workflow, anyway to turn this off?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-22 01:53:47

How to make metal? My latest track is close, but its not it!

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-22 01:56:20

At 11/22/13 01:53 AM, Deshiel wrote: How to make metal? My latest track is close, but its not it!

Try getting a really good guitar sampler or an actual guitarist. Same goes to the bass. You could just use real drum samples or a drum machine that uses real drum sounds or fudagufosig.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-27 13:55:48

Hey guys, I have a question about linking things to automation, Or moreover making that happen, I'm using a new synth Firebird2, It's a VST, So I was expecting it to be linkable, But yet it isn't... Is there a way I can, wrap this thing or do some programming?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-11-27 18:28:21

At 11/27/13 01:55 PM, Tykwa wrote: Hey guys, I have a question about linking things to automation, Or moreover making that happen, I'm using a new synth Firebird2, It's a VST, So I was expecting it to be linkable, But yet it isn't... Is there a way I can, wrap this thing or do some programming?

at the top left of the plugin window there's a drop-down menu (next to the cog icon), select "browse parameters" and a list of the parameters will appear in the browser. right click the one you want to link and select "link to controller" as usual. the last thing you changed in the plugin window will be highlighted automatically, which is handy!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-02 16:33:10

On the previous page I asked about sidechaining a drum loop to my bass and snare drum. Someone kindly helped me with that but I'm in a situation now where I want to sidechain two loops to my kick and snare. How do I do this? I tried linking it but it seems to end up sidechaining either one or the other.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-02 18:22:09

At 12/2/13 04:33 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: On the previous page I asked about sidechaining a drum loop to my bass and snare drum. Someone kindly helped me with that but I'm in a situation now where I want to sidechain two loops to my kick and snare. How do I do this? I tried linking it but it seems to end up sidechaining either one or the other.

Heres what I would do:
If the two loops are similar (ie. both drum loops) I would put them on the same mixer channel and then sidechain the whole mixerchannel to the kick and snare as usual.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-02 21:49:55

At 12/2/13 06:22 PM, DOTcurrency wrote: Heres what I would do:

OR just uncheck the "remove conflicts" box when you make the 2nd link :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-04 20:28:25

At 11/21/13 10:41 PM, jpbear wrote: since switching to fl 11,

if i click play at a point where a note is halfway through, the note thats halfway through plays.

Its very annoying for my workflow, anyway to turn this off?

could use an answer for this still,

another question, not sure why but in FL 11 playlist used to restart wherever the time marker WAS

even when you push pause and play repeatedly.

Now the time marker goes to the very beggining of the track everytime i pause

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-05 04:41:17

At 12/2/13 04:33 PM, 8-bitheroes wrote: On the previous page I asked about sidechaining a drum loop to my bass and snare drum. Someone kindly helped me with that but I'm in a situation now where I want to sidechain two loops to my kick and snare. How do I do this? I tried linking it but it seems to end up sidechaining either one or the other.

Like DOT said, you could put the loops to the same mixer channel. Or you could have them in separate channels, then route those two to one mixer channel and sidechain that one. I think a better solution would be to just have two compressors sidechained to each one separately. Hope that works!

Also to your previous question about inserting rests into your music. No one mentioned reducing the 'release'. I think that is your problem here. The fruity sampler has a ADSR envelope (Attack, Delay, Sustain, and Release). The release controls how long it takes for the volume to fade after you have stopped playing the note. It may have been a problem with reverb and delay, and you could automate the volume separately, but I think it's easier this way. I used to pick samples and they would play full length even after I let go of the key. It was so frustrating because I couldn't figure out why, then I found out about this and problem solved. Hope that helps!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-10 21:18:29

Hey guys I have a quick question about exporting tracks. I'm facing some huge problems when exporting all of a sudden. For a while it would take me max 2 minutes to export a song, however one of my songs would take upwards of 20-30 minutes to export... However now it seems that every song I try and export takes an incredibly long time. I just started exporting a section of a track that was about 3mb and went to out and to dinner for close to 2 hours and when I came back it was at 40%

This shouldn't be an issue with my computer considering I'm playing BF3/4, Witcher 2, and several CPU intensive games on max settings... I've tried all different Bitrates and sinc rates and that was a temporary fix for some songs but no longer works. I'm at a complete loss of what to do because I don't really want to waste an entire day exporting a piece of a track. I'm stumped because it almost seems like it's getting worse.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-10 21:37:00

At 12/10/13 09:18 PM, Envy wrote: Hey guys I have a quick question about exporting tracks. I'm facing some huge problems when exporting all of a sudden. For a while it would take me max 2 minutes to export a song, however one of my songs would take upwards of 20-30 minutes to export... However now it seems that every song I try and export takes an incredibly long time. I just started exporting a section of a track that was about 3mb and went to out and to dinner for close to 2 hours and when I came back it was at 40%

This shouldn't be an issue with my computer considering I'm playing BF3/4, Witcher 2, and several CPU intensive games on max settings... I've tried all different Bitrates and sinc rates and that was a temporary fix for some songs but no longer works. I'm at a complete loss of what to do because I don't really want to waste an entire day exporting a piece of a track. I'm stumped because it almost seems like it's getting worse.

For example, I just tried 6 point-hermite and 128kbps and it's still freezing... I don't even know what to do. I've tried deleting samples/vsts/effects etc etc, it just seems like the FLP is corrupt.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-10 22:24:56

At 12/10/13 09:37 PM, Envy wrote: Hey guys I have a quick question about exporting tracks. I'm facing some huge problems when exporting all of a sudden. For a while it would take me max 2 minutes to export a song, however one of my songs would take upwards of 20-30 minutes to export...

I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a glitch in the program you use, Re-downloading it should fix it. But if you have some irreplaceable things on their then I don't know how to help. I hope this doesn't keep you from trying your best on your songs, I am a major fan of yours, and look forward to your next songs.

Im getting better, I'll be famous one day.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-10 22:30:44

At 12/10/13 10:24 PM, Mrobeymenow wrote:
At 12/10/13 09:37 PM, Envy wrote: Hey guys I have a quick question about exporting tracks. I'm facing some huge problems when exporting all of a sudden. For a while it would take me max 2 minutes to export a song, however one of my songs would take upwards of 20-30 minutes to export...
I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a glitch in the program you use, Re-downloading it should fix it. But if you have some irreplaceable things on their then I don't know how to help. I hope this doesn't keep you from trying your best on your songs, I am a major fan of yours, and look forward to your next songs.

In fact you are the one who inspired me to make my own music, and got me hooked on this site. I love your work, and I'm sure it will continue to inspire me.

Im getting better, I'll be famous one day.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-11 05:04:09

Where can I find useful and understandable beginner's information on Fruity Loops? I've tinkered with it on my own on and off for a while now and I can apply what I've figured out through trial and error. I feel like at this point I am limited by "winging it" as it were.

However, I'm really overwhelmed by stuff like this topic because I have no grasp of the lingo, no community input, and no real learned foundation. How do the geniuses who do figure this stuff out figure it out? Bleh.

Live in your world, play in mine...

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-11 05:21:21

FL has one of the best help files of any program ever, if all else fails.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-11 05:56:37

At 12/11/13 05:21 AM, midimachine wrote: FL has one of the best help files of any program ever, if all else fails.

Really? That's a derp on my part, but I am used to unhelpful help files so it didn't particularly occur to me. I'll have to check it out next time I'm not running on 6AM fumes.

Still outside sources would be appreciated.

Live in your world, play in mine...

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-11 13:47:01

Youtube is your friend. I've learned pretty much everything I know about FL from two different people:

ste1438 (Check out his Beginner to Pro series)

Seamless (Probably start with his FL Studio Basics series)

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-11 19:57:06

At 12/11/13 01:47 PM, AetherX wrote: Youtube is your friend. I've learned pretty much everything I know about FL from two different people:

ste1438 (Check out his Beginner to Pro series)

Seamless (Probably start with his FL Studio Basics series)

Also, Beats4Beets.
Dude makes pretty good beginner tutorials.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2013-12-12 09:38:07

Hey guys, just a quick question.. Say i have a sample i want to use in a project. Whats the best way to match the pitch and key of the sample to my project? I have tried doing this in fruity slicer by adjusting the pitch slider however that's just doing it by ear and it doesnt really give me a clear indication of whether or not its correctly pitched. Thanks in advance.