00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Proximothegr81 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

660,077 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-01 14:16:00

Pads are designed to fill out a track. In times past they were usually organ or organ-like synths (hammond being a big one iirc), but in more modern times they tend to be entirely synthesized sounds. Think of them as doing the bass's job, but a higher harmony to the bass (in job, rarely in actual notes). Instead of holding the low end of the track and percussion together, they help to blend the sounds in the higher registers. Generally they're very spacey, ambient noises and almost always in chords with a lot of audible fuzziness (like reverb).

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-01 16:41:15

How can I slow down an acapella singing sample without lowering the pitch?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-01 16:50:13

At 5/1/11 04:41 PM, Or4nges wrote: How can I slow down an acapella singing sample without lowering the pitch?

pretty sure its impossible.

You can cut up words to match a tempo though (with a slicer).

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-01 16:53:54

At 5/1/11 04:50 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 5/1/11 04:41 PM, Or4nges wrote: How can I slow down an acapella singing sample without lowering the pitch?
pretty sure its impossible.

You can cut up words to match a tempo though (with a slicer).

it's possible if you stretch it granularly. if you load it into fl sampler or audio clip or whatever and stretch it, use the 'tonal' stretching method and it should stay the same pitch, albeit robot sounding.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-01 20:14:54

Thanks guys! Never knew audacity could do that, maybe I need to update it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-03 21:09:28

How do I make a good bassline? And is it better to have the bassline on the same piano roll as the melody or a separate one?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-03 21:20:28

At 5/3/11 09:09 PM, Giantsgiants wrote: How do I make a good bassline? And is it better to have the bassline on the same piano roll as the melody or a separate one?

A bassline for which genre?

There's a big difference betwee genres.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 01:55:19

At 5/3/11 09:20 PM, Envy wrote:
At 5/3/11 09:09 PM, Giantsgiants wrote: How do I make a good bassline? And is it better to have the bassline on the same piano roll as the melody or a separate one?

Techno music. Now do you think you can answer my questions?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 02:03:07

At 5/4/11 01:55 AM, Giantsgiants wrote:
At 5/3/11 09:20 PM, Envy wrote:

Techno music. Now do you think you can answer my questions?

techno as in techno or techno as in electronic music.

There's a big difference between genres.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 03:55:22

And is it better to have the bassline on the same piano roll as the melody or a separate one?

Writing the bassline in the same pattern is fine, but I find it's better to cut and paste it to a separate pattern when it's done just for versatility's sake.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 17:35:22

I have a Snowball USB mic and i was wondering if there is a way to let FL recognize it.
Right now it can only detect analog microphones that are plugged in and not a USB microphone.
Is there something i can do to make FL detect my USB mic?

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 17:39:21

At 5/4/11 05:35 PM, FairSquare wrote: I have a Snowball USB mic and i was wondering if there is a way to let FL recognize it.
Right now it can only detect analog microphones that are plugged in and not a USB microphone.

if asio4all cant detect it, then did it come with its own audio driver? check & if so use that driver and it will detect the mic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 18:26:33

At 5/4/11 05:39 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 5/4/11 05:35 PM, FairSquare wrote: I have a Snowball USB mic and i was wondering if there is a way to let FL recognize it.
if asio4all cant detect it, then did it come with its own audio driver? check & if so use that driver and it will detect the mic

Nope, it didn't come with it's own driver.
That's one of the advantages of the Snowball, that you can plug it in anywhere without having to install a driver. But now it turns out to be a con too.. :/

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 19:13:14

At 5/4/11 06:26 PM, FairSquare wrote:
That's one of the advantages of the Snowball, that you can plug it in anywhere without having to install a driver. But now it turns out to be a con too.. :/

So none of your drivers recognize it? Have you tried your mobos built in card driver?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 19:17:52

At 5/4/11 07:13 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
So none of your drivers recognize it? Have you tried your mobos built in card driver?

Well, my PC recognizes it. It works fine in Audacity.
The only problem is FL. And i have no idea what 'mobos' is.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 20:36:35

If your PC's sound driver recognizes it and it works in Audacity then it should be running under your primary sound driver, either as a separate input in ASIO4All or as the default input (overriding your line-in, I'd imagine).

USB microphones and headsets drive me batty with their wacky sound drivers and integration :<

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-04 23:12:46

At 5/4/11 07:17 PM, FairSquare wrote:

Mobo is just short for motherboard. Its like the sound card that came built into your comp.

This is one of those 'if only i could be there to check it out' type things. You dont happen to live in Chicago do you? hahah

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-05 06:55:54

At 5/4/11 11:12 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 5/4/11 07:17 PM, FairSquare wrote:
Mobo is just short for motherboard. Its like the sound card that came built into your comp.

This is one of those 'if only i could be there to check it out' type things. You dont happen to live in Chicago do you? hahah

Haha, no. I live nowhere near Chicago :p
But there's no need for it anymore. I found it out!
Turns out, i just had to enable my USB mic in the ASIO driver settings. I feel stupid now :p

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-05 20:03:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkzR0sdt uU

So I really like the lead/chord combo at 0:20. Any ideas on how to make both of those sounds? I know the lead must have some sort of sine wave, but I like the click that it has to it. And as for the chords i've never been able to get my synths to have that timbre. Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks guys.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-11 16:45:04

At 5/11/11 03:07 PM, Skeepsis wrote: I have MIDI sounds loaded in a particular .flp file, and if I want to compose using these sounds, I normally just open up that file.

However, I want to replace the channels in an existing composition with MIDI channels, but I'm not sure how to do this, any help would be much appreciated.

Easiest route is to open the midi file in a new file, copy the certain notes, close that file, go back to the one you want, and paste.

And that way fruity lsd doesnt have to open either. Win win situation.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-12 02:31:45

At 5/11/11 03:07 PM, Skeepsis wrote: I have MIDI sounds loaded in a particular .flp file, and if I want to compose using these sounds, I normally just open up that file.

However, I want to replace the channels in an existing composition with MIDI channels, but I'm not sure how to do this, any help would be much appreciated.

I think you want MIDI outs. (Channels [in menu bar] -> add one -> MIDI out.) The channel box lets you choose a MIDI channel 1-16, and the port box tells FL Studio where you want the midi data to go.

For example, say you want to use the terrible stock midi sounds in your project. Go to the mixer and add a Fruity LSD effect. Set the port box in Fruity LSD to the same number as in the port box for the MIDI out channel. You should then hear the ear-wrenching cacophony that is MIDI.

If you instead want to use MIDI to route data to a VST plugin, go the the VST's wrapper settings by clicking the gear icon in the upper right corner of the plugin. Change the 'Input port' box to the same number as in the port box for the MIDI out channel, and your MIDI data will now flow to the plugin.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-12 03:17:14

If you want to quickly change all the channels in your project to MIDI outs, go to Tools>Macros>Prepare for MIDI export. Do not overwrite your project after doing this.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-12 22:42:35

I have midi files for a project I am working on but all of the midi files are compiled into one file and whenever I put the file into FL studio, it puts all of the midi channels on one sampler. How can I split up each midi channel's notes into different samplers instead of one sampler?

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-12 22:47:23

At 5/5/11 08:03 PM, Or4nges wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkzR0sdt uU

So I really like the lead/chord combo at 0:20. Any ideas on how to make both of those sounds? I know the lead must have some sort of sine wave, but I like the click that it has to it. And as for the chords i've never been able to get my synths to have that timbre. Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks guys.

It's very manipulated with filters but it sounds like a mix between a high pitched wurlitzer and a lead synth with lots of triangle waves and sine waves. The "click" sound is just how the attack of the sound is set. Make the sound have a fast attack and a moderately fast decay.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-12 23:40:24

At 5/12/11 10:42 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote: I have midi files for a project I am working on but all of the midi files are compiled into one file and whenever I put the file into FL studio, it puts all of the midi channels on one sampler. How can I split up each midi channel's notes into different samplers instead of one sampler?

Check the "create one channel per track" option in the Import MIDI dialog box.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-13 16:57:37

I've been playing around in FL Studio for a bit now and am slowly getting used to it.

There is a problem I'm having though, I can't get the patterns to.. be unique?

For example, pattern1 has a Piano and Strings. When I make a second pattern, it's a carbon copy of pattern1. When I delete the Strings from pattern2, they disappear from pattern1.

That was a shit explanation. basically, new patterns I make are all the same and I can't figure out why.
It's making me crazy, surely it's something small I'm overlooking?

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-13 23:56:09

That's just the way FL Studio works; the instrument channels always stay the same, but they play different notes depending on what pattern is selected.

If you don't want to clutter up the step sequencer, you can organize instrument channels using groups. Select the channels you want, go to Channels in the menu bar, and click Group Selected. Then by selecting groups using the drop-down box at the bottom of the step sequencer, you can view a few channels at a time.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-14 00:32:40

Okay, that makes things easier. Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-14 06:39:48

Thanks Cabbster, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Together with the grouping, it'll be easier to organise now.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-05-17 15:46:30

At 5/14/11 02:48 PM, LaForge wrote: Alright I'm having some major panning issues. I recorded two guitar tracks with Audacity and tried to pan them left and right, but they always stay center. I exported them both as separate tracks to FL, still didn't work.

I panned them using the step sequencer, still centered. Used the mixer, still centered. Used Fruity Pan-O-Matic, still centered. Is there something wrong with my sound card or something?

This happens to me sometimes to, only with drums and stuff, not recordings.

I'm not sure, but try right clicking on the Pan Knob next to the volume knob of the track you want in the step sequencer and create an automation clip, and arrange that automation clip according to desired panning, in this case, one all the way up, and one all the way down.