00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spacedoodles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

As: Main

710,526 Views | 1,500 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

As: Main 2005-02-10 17:00:13

I see the Flash forum is still receiving the same old requests. So, I thought why not make new topics to specifically deal with the recurring themes; then add them all to notepad or another topic, so that users asking 'how do I make it move' or 'how do I use sound' can be easily sent to the relevant thread. This is different to the 'Actionscripts here' thread, in that each subject that crops up time and time again will have its own thread, named (for example) AS: Basic Movement. Each thread, once created, will be a place to add refinements to the code or different variations... so all you coders, feel free to contribute with script or relevant links. I'm going to attempt to create one of these every couple of days, and then they'll from linked in this topic; I'd also recommend keeping a copy in notepad.
If anybody else fancies creating such a thread, please fell free - name it AS: whatever. The subjects that need dealing with, that I can think of offhand, are: gravity - attachSound - friction - preloader - quality/menu - hitTest... hmmm.. I'll have to go through the 'Actionscript codes here' topic at some point and make a list of the most commonly asked questions.
These will not be tutorials as such, just snippets of code with basic instructions on where to put them, and any links that seem relevant.

Your ideas/suggestions?

Anyway, to start it off: AS: Basic Movement

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-02-10 17:43:46

if people would just use the search bar, you wouldnt have to do this. but seeing as how no one will ever use the search bar, this might be a decent idea. ill see if there are any topics I can cover.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-02-10 17:45:55

w0rd. never underestimate search engines, even those on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-02-25 08:28:49

Update:

AS: Sections
AS: Main (this thread)
AS: Preloader
AS: Basic Movement
AS: Random Movement
AS: Sound

If you ever need to find this thread, just BBS Search for "AS: Main"

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-02-25 10:49:56

What should happen is, you should have one that is a sticky that will have the list of them all. That'd be sweet.

P.S. Is anyone else getting lots of internal server errors right now? I'm getting tons.

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-02-25 10:54:09

At 2/25/05 10:49 AM, TwinsenDude wrote: What should happen is, you should have one that is a sticky that will have the list of them all. That'd be sweet.

Well, this is the thread they'll all be linked from, as and when I get round to making them. Work in progress, and all that

Talking of which:
AS: Save and Load

P.S. Is anyone else getting lots of internal server errors right now? I'm getting tons.

Yeah, I'm assuming some site tweaking or maintenance is happening.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-08 17:34:37

Updated list:

AS: Basic Movement
AS: Random Movement (Begoner)
AS: Sound
AS: Preloader
AS: Save and Load
AS: Pong physics (Dark_Toaster)
AS: Platformer (etchandsketchdesigns)

I need to do some more of these at some point

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-08 17:41:49

Ah, wonderful idea. You, Denvish, has always been the nice one (in my opinion). That's why you're my favorite mod.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-08 17:45:15

Oh, and you should include Rystic's Jumping Enginge.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-08 19:07:26

I think they should make the users just join see an instruction on how to use the Search Bar... Kinda like me... But I was probally one of the only new people to see the search bar on the second day of joining.

Response to As: Main 2005-06-08 19:13:12

Try to make a quick tutorial explaining physics. Not so much AS-wise, because it should be for advanced users who can figure it out, but more about formulas and methods to create a realistic enviroment. EX: Weight distribution on a platform, i've been trying to figure that out forever, like in Gish vs modes.

/
/
/|
o/ |
/ |
|
|

Something like that, thecricle is some sort of weith, and the slipoed line is the platform adjusting to it, and when it leaves, the platofrm goes back up, and does a little bouncing.

Would be nice for gaming.

wtfbbqhax

Response to As: Main 2005-06-10 13:07:32

At 6/8/05 05:34 PM, Denvish wrote: AS: Platformer (etchandsketchdesigns)

It looks like a level one who wanted to be popular in Newgrounds.He copied Rystic's code and he didn't even know that to test a movie,you need to press control+Enter.He said Alt + Enter!

At 6/8/05 07:13 PM, SHITTYFLASHMAN wrote: Try to make a quick tutorial explaining physics.

I made one,read the updated list.
AS:Physics and gravity

At 6/8/05 05:45 PM, Rantzien wrote: Oh, and you should include Rystic's Jumping Enginge.

Well,that guy copied Rystic's code.

PS:Denvish,it isn't "AS:Pong physics" but "AS:Physics and gravity"<33

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-10 15:08:32

Hmm. it would be awesome if we had an official tutorial section, not where the tutorials are done in flash but are presented on a newgrounds webpage...

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-10 15:09:42

At least a sticky,as I said in my other thread.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-10 15:12:29

Well I just added my attempt at a curving effect into Dark_Toasters AS Physics tutorial, don't really know if it adds to the main theme, but goes with the whole pong thing.

Let me know what you think

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 09:50:07

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 09:55:41

At 6/23/05 09:50 AM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote: Spiral Generator
Real-Time Clock

The code itself is good,but these are not tutorials.In tutorials you have to explain the code,and tell how and why it works...Don't just give a bunch of code..

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 10:01:51

At 6/10/05 03:08 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: Hmm. it would be awesome if we had an official tutorial section, not where the tutorials are done in flash but are presented on a newgrounds webpage...

Here

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 10:13:46

At 6/23/05 10:01 AM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote: Here

I'm not sure it is a good idae,these tutorials are complicated,they are not for beginners at all!What about a little button on the front page which leads to all the tutorials?

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 10:17:33

heres a simple wall

- http://img106.echo.cx/my.php?image=walltest23xg.swf

on layer one, make a player image (a simple circle) make a mc, and give it the instance- player

layer 2, make a shape, any shape you wish, use a paintbrush, select it all. give it the instance - walls

input this script on to the walls-

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
with (_root.player) {
mySpeed = 10;
myBounce = 10;
if (Key.isDown(Key.DOWN)) {
_y += mySpeed;
}
if (Key.isDown(Key.UP)) {
_y -= mySpeed;
}
if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)) {
_x -= mySpeed;
}
if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
_x += mySpeed;
}
if (_root.walls.hitTest(getBounds(_root).xMax, _y, true)) {
_x -= myBounce;
}
if (_root.walls.hitTest(getBounds(_root).xMin, _y, true)) {
_x += myBounce;
}
if (_root.walls.hitTest(_x, getBounds(_root).yMax, true)) {
_y -= myBounce;
}
if (_root.walls.hitTest(_x, getBounds(_root).yMin, true)) {
_y += myBounce;
}

}
}

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 10:17:35

Sweet. Good idea Denvish. *bookmarks page*

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 11:21:10

At 6/23/05 10:01 AM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote:
At 6/10/05 03:08 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: Hmm. it would be awesome if we had an official tutorial section, not where the tutorials are done in flash but are presented on a newgrounds webpage...
Here

We all know they suck though, he isn't going to count those lousy tutorials.

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 12:18:52

I made one, there it is : http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=293653

Hope it can be useful!

ey

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 12:30:13

I too liked the idea and put together something on collision detection / hit tests. Here it is: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=293660

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 12:38:34

At 6/23/05 11:21 AM, T-H wrote: We all know they suck though, he isn't going to count those lousy tutorials.

Do you refer "they" to the AS: tutorials?!How can you say Denvish's Save/load,Sound,and movement tutorials suck?!How can you say that Joe's Movement with slopes tutorial sucks?How can you say that Bleep's advanced hitTest tutorial sucks?!
I hope you are not talking about the AS: tutorials because they DON'T suck

P.S:Has anyone noticed that the moderators havn't been browsing the flash forum for a long time?Where is Denvish?Where is Afro ninja?

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 12:42:51

At 6/23/05 12:38 PM, Dark_Toaster wrote: Do you refer "they" to the AS: tutorials?!How can you say Denvish's Save/load,Sound,and movement tutorials suck?!How can you say that Joe's Movement with slopes tutorial sucks?How can you say that Bleep's advanced hitTest tutorial sucks?!
I hope you are not talking about the AS: tutorials because they DON'T suck

P.S:Has anyone noticed that the moderators havn't been browsing the flash forum for a long time?Where is Denvish?Where is Afro ninja?

I think he's talking about the tutorials in the Flash section of the site (www.newgrounds.com/flash). I did not go there for a long time but a while ago the tutorials over there did suck.

ey

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 12:51:49

Oh,I thought he was talking about the AS: tutorials....*laughs of happiness*
Yeah,most of them suck,but some are good.I think the best Idea is having a big button saying "Actionscript tutorials" and then it goes to a link where you can choose which tutorial you want to see.when you click it,it goes to teh thread where the tutorial originaly exists.

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 16:13:20

At 6/23/05 12:42 PM, Joelasticot wrote: I think he's talking about the tutorials in the Flash section of the site (www.newgrounds.com/flash). I did not go there for a long time but a while ago the tutorials over there did suck.

Heh, just to clarify, I was talking about the ancient newgrounds tutorials. They could do with an update.

I've recently gotten into actionscript drawing API, its more of a niche, not something that would be widely used, but it would be nice to have an AS:API thread from a veteran such as JafitMan, as I find drawing through actionscript to be really interesting.

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 16:22:59

Are you good at API?I want to make a API thread :P
But I will let you make it since I am not really good at API 8-| Or maybe DEADSIM2,he is awsome at API!

BBS Signature

Response to As: Main 2005-06-23 16:27:54

Denvish, you are the fucking man. It's about time something like this is being put together. If I have to see one more "Help me with my platform game movement" thread, I'm going to punch something.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com