00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Threshold

2,251 Views | 15 Replies

Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 05:16:23

I'd be interested in knowing what the exact count and situations are for something to reach below the portal threshold. I have voted a few things off from the portal already, but there is a lot of things there that need to be removed. Maybe the portal threshold is too low.

In my opinion, after something has 1000 votes or more, if it reaches below 0.75 or even 1.0 it should be removed. From watching when things get removed, it seems a little backwards. Like the threshold number is lower for the more votes the entry has. Which means it will be even harder to remove it. Quick example:

If something has 10 votes, your vote (not counting experience modifiers) will change it 10%. But if something has 100 votes, it will only change it 1%.

Also, a few added options for the portal would be appreciated. Sorting by Author name seems disabled. Also, sorting by number of votes would be greatly appreciated, along with being able to sort by rank in reviews.

Also, there are some people who look at quite a few portal entries every day. What about a second deposit. First deposit at 5 movies voted on, and allow a second one every 100 movies after that. After all, isn't the point of it all to keep people on the website as long as possible?

A few suggestions, take them or leave them, I just thought I would drop an opinion and see what everyone thought, and maybe heighten the enjoyment around here.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 05:42:15

Just a couple other notes while I'm still here roaming around. There are over 200 portal entries that have a rating under 1.0 which are slowly making their way to being deleted.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how bad a lot of the stuff on the portal is. If you would like to do something about it, each time you go to the portal, follow these steps, which should help out in the process of removing some of it.

Under "Top 50 of All Time" go to "View All" and then change "Time Period" to "All Submissions" and click the "Go" button. Make sure it's sorted by rating, and click the last page (currently page 45). Scroll to the bottom, and vote the last 5 or 10 entries as a zero.

Another note for the NG Crew Members. Adding to our profile how many portal submissions we have gotten deleted would also be a nice thing to have. Something about being a destroyer gives people a good feeling inside.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 10:37:17

I'd have to agree with you there. There should be some better way to remove crappy portal entries. Damn the man, save the empire

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 10:40:19

At 4/3/01 05:16 AM, LordKyu wrote: I'd be interested in knowing what the exact count and situations are for something to reach below the portal threshold. I have voted a few things off from the portal already, but there is a lot of things there that need to be removed. Maybe the portal threshold is too low.

In my opinion, after something has 1000 votes or more, if it reaches below 0.75 or even 1.0 it should be removed. From watching when things get removed, it seems a little backwards. Like the threshold number is lower for the more votes the entry has. Which means it will be even harder to remove it. Quick example:

If something has 10 votes, your vote (not counting experience modifiers) will change it 10%. But if something has 100 votes, it will only change it 1%.

Also, a few added options for the portal would be appreciated. Sorting by Author name seems disabled. Also, sorting by number of votes would be greatly appreciated, along with being able to sort by rank in reviews.

Also, there are some people who look at quite a few portal entries every day. What about a second deposit. First deposit at 5 movies voted on, and allow a second one every 100 movies after that. After all, isn't the point of it all to keep people on the website as long as possible?

A few suggestions, take them or leave them, I just thought I would drop an opinion and see what everyone thought, and maybe heighten the enjoyment around here.

Whoa someone that is actually says something smart for their first post. I am so proud!

Portal Threshold

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 11:04:03

At 4/3/01 05:42 AM, LordKyu wrote: Just a couple other notes while I'm still here roaming around. There are over 200 portal entries that have a rating under 1.0 which are slowly making their way to being deleted.

I hear a lot of people complaining about how bad a lot of the stuff on the portal is. If you would like to do something about it, each time you go to the portal, follow these steps, which should help out in the process of removing some of it.

Under "Top 50 of All Time" go to "View All" and then change "Time Period" to "All Submissions" and click the "Go" button. Make sure it's sorted by rating, and click the last page (currently page 45). Scroll to the bottom, and vote the last 5 or 10 entries as a zero.

Another note for the NG Crew Members. Adding to our profile how many portal submissions we have gotten deleted would also be a nice thing to have. Something about being a destroyer gives people a good feeling inside.

Yes, I go searching through the portal all the time. But this will save you time; vote on movies with 24, 49, 74 or 99 votes, and then they can be deleted. It's easier to do it for some reason...

Portal Threshold

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 11:04:11

[Snip Long Quote]

Whoa someone that is actually says something smart for their first post. I am so proud!

Actually, it's not my first post, but I don't hang around in here very often. I just I'd offer an opinion on the status of things, and see if anyone had any worth while ideas in response. A few days ago I emailed Ross about what I wrote here today, but I never got a reply back. With my rap sheet, I wasn't really expecting anyone to read this at all. My first few posts, as you unintentionally pointed out, went completely unnoticed.

Also, you might wish to review the methods in which you quote things. I know that this forus does it automatically, but keeping everything to write a one line message is poor net etiquette. Though I'm not sure that exists anymore, outside of C-Net BBS systems, and certain mailing list discussion groups.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 11:19:13

I can sort by author name, and it works fine for me. You can click on the statistics link in the portal and see some movies with the most votes and stuff, but you can't sort that way, at least not yet. We'd like to add more search options, but it takes time to set that stuff up. As far as auto deletion, when a movie hits a certain # of votes, like 25, 50, 75, 100 and is below a certain score, it is auto deleted. Once it's over 100 points and is above the quality threshold it can't be auto deleted anymore.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 11:28:53

At 4/3/01 11:19 AM, WadeFulp wrote: I can sort by author name, and it works fine for me. You can click on the statistics link in the portal and see some movies with the most votes and stuff, but you can't sort that way, at least not yet. We'd like to add more search options, but it takes time to set that stuff up. As far as auto deletion, when a movie hits a certain # of votes, like 25, 50, 75, 100 and is below a certain score, it is auto deleted. Once it's over 100 points and is above the quality threshold it can't be auto deleted anymore.

Really? So that means shit like Humanzilla is here to stay? I never knew that...It should be after 1000 votes or something...

Portal Threshold

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 11:39:46

At 4/3/01 11:19 AM, WadeFulp wrote: As far as auto deletion, when a movie hits a certain # of votes, like 25, 50, 75, 100 and is below a certain score, it is auto deleted. Once it's over 100 points and is above the quality threshold it can't be auto deleted anymore.

Personally, I think allowing something to be free from the threshold at any point is a bad idea. Checking every 25 votes, or even more seems to be the way to go, regardless of how many votes it has. The current way basically means it is pointless for us to vote for anything we don't like if it is already low, and past 100 votes. Is it possible to convience the NG Staff to change it?

How about at votes, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, and so on. Meaning at every hundred it checks for it's threshold. Making the threshold at 0.25 for testing purposes if you must, and then move it up to atleast 0.50 after you see it won't harm too much of anything besides stuff that shows people NG distributes content of poor quality.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 12:16:11

At 4/3/01 11:39 AM, LordKyu wrote:
At 4/3/01 11:19 AM, WadeFulp wrote: As far as auto deletion, when a movie hits a certain # of votes, like 25, 50, 75, 100 and is below a certain score, it is auto deleted. Once it's over 100 points and is above the quality threshold it can't be auto deleted anymore.
Personally, I think allowing something to be free from the threshold at any point is a bad idea. Checking every 25 votes, or even more seems to be the way to go, regardless of how many votes it has. The current way basically means it is pointless for us to vote for anything we don't like if it is already low, and past 100 votes. Is it possible to convience the NG Staff to change it?

How about at votes, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, and so on. Meaning at every hundred it checks for it's threshold. Making the threshold at 0.25 for testing purposes if you must, and then move it up to atleast 0.50 after you see it won't harm too much of anything besides stuff that shows people NG distributes content of poor quality.

Or better yet instead of seeing what the current status is, check on the most recient number of votes something has accumulated. For those who have over 1000 that will still be there forever even if we vote it down forever. Meaning if something has a high rating, (Like the britney spears dress up doll), and the majority of last 100 votes were pretty shitty, then it should auto deleted. Make sence?

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 12:32:53

At 4/3/01 12:16 PM, Infinity303 wrote:
At 4/3/01 11:39 AM, LordKyu wrote:

Or better yet instead of seeing what the current status is, check on the most recient number of votes something has accumulated. For those who have over 1000 that will still be there forever even if we vote it down forever. Meaning if something has a high rating, (Like the britney spears dress up doll), and the majority of last 100 votes were pretty shitty, then it should auto deleted. Make sence?

that would suck though...what about the people who actually liked that movie? i don't really like the movie but your little theory is flawed. for like movies like final task...it's a great one...but what if the last 100 votes for it were shitty...would you like to see it being deleted?

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 12:47:35

The problem is once a movie goes off the recently submitted list, the number of votes it accumulates goes way down. There are a lot of movies that might have a 2.0 and be good, that are never seen again. Say a movie had 150 votes, and went into Portal Limbo with a score of 2.0. Say 1 person hates it and votes 0 on it everyday and eventually gets it down below a 1. Should it now be deleted? No one else would be voting on it at that point.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 13:12:06

At 4/3/01 12:47 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Say a movie had 150 votes, and went into Portal Limbo with a score of 2.0. Say 1 person hates it and votes 0 on it everyday and eventually gets it down below a 1. Should it now be deleted? No one else would be voting on it at that point.

If there are people who like it, they should make the effort to go back to it and vote for it when they are in the portal. There are a few entries that have 2.0 or there abouts for a rating, and I go in there to try and boost them up. Also, if you get rid of the ones that are rated low, then more people will hit those middle ones when they jump to a random portal entry.

Also, if it only checks at every 100 votes, that's a long time of constantly voting without it being noticed by someone else who might like it. I watch a lot of the things on the lower end, because there are some people who are spiteful, and have dropped someone else's things. I try and take the time to boost them back up a little if I liked them.

And in your example, you're using 1.0 as a threshold. How about making it like this. votes 100 to 900 at hundred point intervals the threshold is 0.25, and everything 1000+ at hundred point intervals the threshold is 0.50 or there abouts.

I'm trying to find a compromise. I really think it would do NG so good, in quality, both for the viewers, as well as the pocket, to eliminate some of the lower rated stuff.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-03 13:27:41

This is a pretty good point, there should be a standard level for the votes to drop to until they are deleted, maybe make it a little harder to vote off those that have lasted maybe 1,000 votes or views..
but from my experience of voting movies off, I can knock one down thats on,say, 0.80 then go to try one on 0.25 and get nowhere...
Maybe assign someone,say Wade or Bomb to monitor it,and say some sort of power to delete something manually if the vote gets down to,say,0.25..
Just a thought.
Cally

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-04 08:33:07

At 4/3/01 12:32 PM, geist_starfire wrote: that would suck though...what about the people who actually liked that movie? i don't really like the movie but your little theory is flawed. for like movies like final task...it's a great one...but what if the last 100 votes for it were shitty...would you like to see it being deleted?

Actually, yes I would. It was really cool to watch at first, but it's gotta get off the top 50. At this point there's no way it could be removed or even lower in its rank. There's got to be some change.

Response to Portal Threshold 2001-04-04 10:50:40

Umm, no. Remember when almost everyone on NG was voting ) on Keeblur and Street Life everyday?

Grr.... after a hundred votes it can't be deleted.. that swallows! That means... *GASP!* We'll never get rid of Neat Stick Movie!!! AGH!!!!!!

Portal Threshold

BBS Signature