00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Musical Theory Club

8,649 Views | 122 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 17:25:28

As there are many musicians at NG, and as I have just learnt some theory myself (and have been helped greatly by it), I thought I'd give this club a go.

Our goal is to help each other with theory...scales, chords, notes, semitones, octaves , majors/minors/sevenths/thirds/fifths etc.

Anyone wanna join.

N.B. - This is a 'Musical' club, so it doesn't really matter what instrument you play anyone could get some help, or give some assistance to this club.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 17:58:41

I'd be happy to chip in what knowledge I have.

I have been playing piano for 17 years, and can also play saxophone, guitar and bass. Play in 3 bands, and at nightspots and restaurants around the ACT in Australia.

Anyways, hope the club survives. Set some rules, have a definite purpose or member structure, and make your prescence known.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:06:09

At 12/20/04 05:58 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: I'd be happy to chip in what knowledge I have.

Thank you. I'll get some rules set out and have a think about the other stuff and what I am going to do.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:42:45

At 12/20/04 06:06 PM, GibSG wrote:
At 12/20/04 05:58 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: I'd be happy to chip in what knowledge I have.
Thank you. I'll get some rules set out and have a think about the other stuff and what I am going to do.

Not a problem. It's the only way that this sort of club will work, let alone get past the mods. And can I PLEASE change your sig, it looks horrid cause you can't read the name. Just tell me what guitar you want.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:47:24

At 12/20/04 06:42 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Not a problem. It's the only way that this sort of club will work, let alone get past the mods. And can I PLEASE change your sig, it looks horrid cause you can't read the name. Just tell me what guitar you want.

I was getting a new one before but it went tits up. A problem with cutting.

A Gibson Les Paul Custom in Alpine White please.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:53:54

wow this seems like a pretty nice idea. I would join except I dont know thta much about the theory. But I have a question lol :P

Can you explain to me what a perfetc cadence is? We went ove rit in my music lessons but I didnt understand it at all :-S maybe you can explain it better than he could.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:54:12

At 12/20/04 06:47 PM, GibSG wrote: I was getting a new one before but it went tits up. A problem with cutting.

This one?

The Musical Theory Club

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 18:57:38

At 12/20/04 06:54 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote:
At 12/20/04 06:47 PM, GibSG wrote: I was getting a new one before but it went tits up. A problem with cutting.

This one?

Yes, but if you can try and hide the green bit on the scratch plate it'd help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:01:00

At 12/20/04 06:53 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote: wow this seems like a pretty nice idea. I would join except I dont know thta much about the theory. But I have a question lol :P

Can you explain to me what a perfetc cadence is? We went ove rit in my music lessons but I didnt understand it at all :-S maybe you can explain it better than he could.

A cadence is a place in a piece of music that feels like a stopping or resting point. In tonal music, cadences are classified by their chord progressions.

Authentic Cadence - A dominant chord followed by a tonic chord (V-I, or often V7-I).

Perfect Cadence - Same as an authentic cadence. As its name suggests, this is considered the strongest, most final-sounding cadence. Some do not consider a cadence to be completely perfect unless the melody ends on the tonic and both chords are in root position.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:03:11

At 12/20/04 07:01 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Perfect Cadence - Same as an authentic cadence. As its name suggests, this is considered the strongest, most final-sounding cadence. Some do not consider a cadence to be completely perfect unless the melody ends on the tonic and both chords are in root position.

wow......you made that a hell of a lot clearer than my Teacher did. Thanks :P

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:03:12

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:06:41

At 12/20/04 07:03 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Click here to hear perfect cadence.

I see(or shoudl that be hear lol) thanks alot that has made things a hell of a lot more clear for me.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:07:53

I have a question on Chord Progression. I read before that the progression I-VI-IV-V means that you play a Major, followed by a Minor 9 semitones lower (or Higher I forgot) and then another Major, and I just have no idea how that works. Since to me that is roman numerals for 1-6-4-5.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 19:53:18

At 12/20/04 07:06 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote:
At 12/20/04 07:03 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Click here to hear perfect cadence.
I see(or shoudl that be hear lol) thanks alot that has made things a hell of a lot more clear for me.

Pleasure. I think I speak on behalf of GibSG when I tell you that you're more than welcome to drop past anytime and ask us any questions.

At 12/20/04 07:07 PM, GibSG wrote: I have a question on Chord Progression. I read before that the progression I-VI-IV-V means that you play a Major, followed by a Minor 9 semitones lower (or Higher I forgot) and then another Major, and I just have no idea how that works. Since to me that is roman numerals for 1-6-4-5.

Huh? You're asking one. OK... let me see if I understand. Let's say you're in the key of G. That means that if you were to play a triad chord in all the positions, they would be as follows.

I - G
II - Am
III - Bm
IV - C
V - D
VI - Em
VII - F# dim

So if you play I (G), VI (Em), IV (C), V (D), you ARE actually playing a major chord, followed by a minor chord 9 semitones HIGHER (G#, A, Bb, B, C, C#, D, D#, E), then another major chord, and another major.

GibSG> Almost finished your sig. Did you need a co-leader in here?

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 20:05:17

At 12/20/04 07:53 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: GibSG> Almost finished your sig. Did you need a co-leader in here?

Right oh, Thats cleared a lot up for me.

And yes I could do with a co-leader. You by any chance?
If so yes please. As I know very little about theory. I only just started today. I just had the idea to make it, as I realised how I could write better riffs/bass lines knowing all about fifths etc and so I thought there must be others with similar problems to mine, so I made this club. So if your willing then yes I would jump at the chance to have you on board.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 20:09:59

At 12/20/04 08:05 PM, GibSG wrote: Right oh, Thats cleared a lot up for me.

And yes I could do with a co-leader. You by any chance?

Since you've only just really started out, I'm guessing I know a little more than you, and now that I'm online a lot more, I've got the time so sure. I'll take the co-leader's spot.

Cheers GibSG.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 20:13:25

At 12/20/04 08:09 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Since you've only just really started out, I'm guessing I know a little more than you, and now that I'm online a lot more, I've got the time so sure. I'll take the co-leader's spot.

Cheers GibSG.

No problem, if it makes this club better then I'm happy. Glad to have you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 20:42:59

Here's your sig. Just a quick one. Tried to get that whole angled thing going.

The Musical Theory Club

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-20 20:55:53

At 12/20/04 08:42 PM, DrunkenPenguin wrote: Here's your sig. Just a quick one. Tried to get that whole angled thing going.

Thanks, tis cool. And its a lot clearer than the one I got.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-21 19:04:54

Right as I feel we may be setting off I'm laying down some rules for the club.

1-No spamming. We only want questions and answers based on the theory side of music.

2-No flamming. Our cause is to help and get people more interested into theory. So no attacks just because they can't be bothered to learn or whatever.

3-There is no need to be part of the team. If you know the answer, then answer it. If you would prefere to be an offical member then just ask and you can have a place. The more the merrier.

Our Purpose -

To help any musician that wants to learn a bit about theory. Or that has any problems, questions that they might have. Also to offer advice, tips and anything else that will help advance people's knowledge of musical theory.

Now although anyone can chip in with their tips etc. I would like people to join the team and be official helpers.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-21 19:33:27

Hey,
Possible for me to join im predicted a B in my GCSE's..

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-21 19:37:41

At 12/21/04 07:33 PM, Re-Spawn wrote: Hey,

Sure, if you know your theory your in. I didn't take Music so I don't actually know how good a B is.(Damn Geography)

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-21 19:40:31

At 12/21/04 07:37 PM, GibSG wrote:
At 12/21/04 07:33 PM, Re-Spawn wrote: Hey,
Sure, if you know your theory your in. I didn't take Music so I don't actually know how good a B is.(Damn Geography)

Yer i know my theory, but im still learning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-21 19:49:03

At 12/21/04 07:40 PM, Re-Spawn wrote: Yer i know my theory, but im still learning.

Well I know nothing about theory. I only know about fifths, sevenths and that semitone stuff. So I'm learning from the beginning. What instrument do you play.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-28 00:36:07

I'll join. I've been playin guitar for like a year and I know some musical theory. So can I join?

I got a question for GibSG. If your Alias is GibSG, why is your pic a Gibson Les Paul?

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-28 17:02:07

I'm in!
The club where I had been waiting for

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-28 19:32:30

At 12/28/04 12:36 AM, TehBigC wrote: I got a question for GibSG. If your Alias is GibSG, why is your pic a Gibson Les Paul?

Because I realised that I couldn't control myself and the Gibson Les Paul Custom in Alpine White is just too beautiful. However 'GibSG' sounds better than 'GibLPCustom in Alpine White'

I loved SGs about a month ago, now i've gone off them. However i'm getting one when I can afford as they a few hundred quid (£) cheaper than Les Pauls. Or I might get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-28 19:39:52

Right here is the current list. If Manic_streetpreacher hasn't joined (i'm a little unsure) then you'll get a push up.

Leader’s – GibSG and DrunkenPenguin
1-Manic_streetpreacher ?
2-Re-Spawn
3-TehBigC
4-mister_maggot

Also I have a question.
I'm a guitarist and every fret is a new note (sorta) well this is the thingy I use

A - Bb - B - C - C# - Eb - E - F - F# - G - G#

(then of course it repeats on the 12th fret)

Is this right or should I use another or does it not matter (i got this of the vid I got with my guitar)

BBS Signature

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-29 18:56:10

I would like to join, I love music. I am a drummer, and I can read sheet music.

Response to The Musical Theory Club 2004-12-29 19:01:35

At 12/29/04 06:56 PM, E-Rayz wrote: I would like to join, I love music. I am a drummer, and I can read sheet music.

Sure your in, Your #5.

My friend is a drummer and bloody good one. I looked at ya profile..and if you want good drummers go to Keith Moon (The Who) and John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) thats if you haven't already, they are absolutely incredible. Especially Bonham.

BBS Signature