00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors

9,002 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 18:23:26

I mean weekly 20

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-27 10:17:20

thanks for the information the tutorial did not say how.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 12:44:41

Denvish, i also find if the author uses that littlw box for a picture it helps, it puts the viewer in a more positive frame of mind as they can see the author has bothered to use it.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 13:58:25

You all seem to think like I'm gonna drop some crappy stick movie...

whats wrong with sticks, i hope you meant to emphasize the word crappy, and weren't refering to the genre, because at least those who make good stick movies work hard to achive what they set out to accomplish ie: entertain .

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 14:06:31

i know....wuts wrong with stick movies or games...atleast they work hard to do em

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 14:19:03

BTW Great info! some points are common sense tho!

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 14:26:07

it's a really good guide, but it isn't as much about making a good flash as it's about how to avoid being blammed. you say "don't mention you made it in school" but not "don't submit things you made in school", "don't mention sticks" but not "don't make crappy stick movies", "don't say it's your first movie" but not "don't submit your first movie"...

well you get the point

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 15:27:05

i s'pose a sure fire way to pass judgement is to avoid submiting utter shite really! ahh, if only it were that easy...

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 17:20:58

Longest thread-start in recorded NG history?

Heh, thanks for the great BBS-written flashn00bs tutorial.

Very helpful.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 18:23:35

At 2/17/05 03:27 PM, -Mako- wrote: i s'pose a sure fire way to pass judgement is to avoid submiting utter shite really! ahh, if only it were that easy...

That's EXACTLY what I did ;D

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 20:28:38

At 2/17/05 06:38 PM, SEX4CHEAP wrote: Those are all fine and dandy, but I would suggest just making a decent Flash animation :P
lol, nice guide

Yes either that or steps to creating a good flash rather than steps to avoid.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 20:35:37

At 2/17/05 08:28 PM, Stiron wrote: Yes either that or steps to creating a good flash rather than steps to avoid.

This thread is NOT about creating Flash. It's about the surrounding package when you submit. It's here to help good and bad flashers get the best score possible, by 'prettifying' their submission.

How to make good Flash (or how to avoid making bad Flash) is a topic/site by itself, and it's not one I intend to tackle

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 20:36:35

At 2/17/05 08:35 PM, Denvish wrote: This thread is NOT about creating Flash. It's about the surrounding package when you submit. It's here to help good and bad flashers get the best score possible, by 'prettifying' their submission.

How to make good Flash (or how to avoid making bad Flash) is a topic/site by itself, and it's not one I intend to tackle

Ahh... Alright.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-17 22:35:41

Denvish! This is great! Very very informative and definitly something that will help MANY people. The only downside is that this is in the forums only, and the n00bs who come just to submit crap for the hell of it most likly won't hang around the forums much.

But for those that do, this information is priceless.

Great job compiling it all.

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-18 08:28:33

really, isn't it better if "noobs" don't read this? there's already too much crap passing judgement, if anything MORE entries should be blammed. this is helpful to "noobs" who want their movies to pass judgement but is it really for the best of NG?

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-02-25 20:43:06

nice thanx for the info you saved me....:-)....

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-05-16 08:48:06

Woah, nice guide, man. Too bad I already broke one of those rules... *Scampers off to edit out the mention that it's his first flash animation, sheepishly* Won't be doing that again.

Anyways, man, thanks for the guide. Seriously. There should be more guides like this around here! I applaud thy kindness.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-05-16 12:00:56

At 1/25/05 05:19 PM, GuzzlingJuiceBug wrote:

well, I've really working hard for it. I'm not just sure if it's just good enough so of course I'm gonna do everything I can to get it thru

if it is somthing you put a godo amount of time into, and you think it is somthing that ppl wil enjoy, but are not sure if it will make it on ng...then submit it to the alpha section of ng

just click my sig to take you there

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.

PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-05-16 12:23:51

same concept different perspective :P

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=270352

nice job btw :)

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-07-16 04:25:31

I saw this though a link, i know its an old topic *probably* but here are some of my own tips

1. View your movie multiple times to look out for any bugs, glitches, and or bad things... O_o also get other people to watch it and check for any mistakes, *get people that you can trust give you a truthful judgement.

2. Make sure nothing is stolen and or already done...

3. Give credit where it lies *taking credit for other works, will lower your score, and people will be less likely to trust you in the future*

4. RESPOND TO SOME OF YOUR REVIEWS... people seem to like it when you actually comunicate with them, they say, "hey he actually cares about what people think *hmmm*"

anyways there are just a few things by me, *kinda tired and sleepy O_o*

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-07-16 05:02:00

I've been here a loong time now and I'd say that's as concise and true as it gets. despite my bad spelling when it's 4am (why oh why?), this is clear and to the point.

I've noticed these things and probably many of the people witha higher voting power act similarly to the no comments, telling how to vote, and viewing experience.

good one, should help many new guys out, as far as psycological points.

+2 for them!

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-07-16 05:31:22

I'll keep all this stuff in mind... right now I'm trying to make a complex, interesting and expansive RPG, in the attempt of getting a record-breaking first submission.

Not that I know what the record is. Hmmm. I'm probably going to post some stuff about it, and have it get more than one reply *stares at Inglor ... why does all the other newbie poss get over 5 replies?*

I'll just make a quick observation, as I've seen quite a few flashes through the portal. It's all fine making a high-quality flash, but if it's not long enough, your score will suffer (people jump to the conclusion you were lazy).

Also (and this is something I should take into consideration) submitting a game as a first submission is suicidal, as people either vote high, or low. A bad game with bugs will get 0s, whereas a film with the same amount of effort put in will often scratch through the portal.

Respectively, if the graphics of your game are low, even if the graphics aren't the focus, the flash will still get killed ... err, blammed. Either make the graphics good, or make the filesize small and optimized (and even then, small submissions aren't -that- popular unless they're on the high-end of the quality scale). Just don't submit a game unless you seriously think it would get 3 or more, because with games there's a thin line between total blamnation and safe protection.

I'm back! on a temporary basis. No-one can remember who I am! but I don't really mind.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-07-21 11:10:04

nicely done

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-08-30 19:27:11

very helpfull.They are the kind of things you begin to think about when you go on NG often.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-04-28 16:55:03

At 4/28/06 04:51 PM, sad_spoon wrote: im too bored to read all those but good job im sure you helped a lot of noobs

like yourself?

no, wait, you did not read it

DON'T BUMP REALLY OLD TOPICS.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-05-11 15:39:46

At 1/25/05 03:52 PM, -Puzz- wrote:
At 11/7/04 02:14 PM, -fuzz- wrote: fuzz get aim, we need to talk over our aliases! people that hate you, think I am you, so they hate me, and I didnt do anything to them...
I dunno if it's logical or not, but dammit, we need a good talk over AIM!

lol

maybe you could change your name?

the line below is the truth

the line above is a lie

sig by jay11

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-05-11 16:07:21

At 11/7/04 02:08 PM, Denvish wrote: Excessively small filesize (<50kb). There are some really good 'kb games' out there, but usually tiny=rubbish.

Haha, that's rather ironic coming out of the guy who has submitted the best API games, having the lowest file sizes.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-05-11 16:38:58

At 4/28/06 04:55 PM, -yam- wrote:
At 4/28/06 04:51 PM, sad_spoon wrote: im too bored to read all those but good job im sure you helped a lot of noobs
like yourself?

no, wait, you did not read it

DON'T BUMP REALLY OLD TOPICS.

I think it deserved to be bumped.

I enjoyed reading it, 2nd time round. I actually thought it was new, read -Luis-'s post, thought to myself, "man, he's always banging on about pretty handwritten text... wait... deja vu..."

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-05-11 16:59:51

At 5/11/06 04:07 PM, Rabbi_Indie_The_Rad wrote:
At 11/7/04 02:08 PM, Denvish wrote: Excessively small filesize (<50kb). There are some really good 'kb games' out there, but usually tiny=rubbish.
Haha, that's rather ironic coming out of the guy who has submitted the best API games, having the lowest file sizes.

Heh. Yeah, this was written long before I even knew what API was.

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2006-05-11 19:09:11

I remember reading something almost exactly like that a while ago.
Were you inspired by jujubelock's HNT series? or maybe the NG FAQ?

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature