VERY VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE
(yes, I used every HTML tag I possibly could up there)
Version 2.0 of the NGLister program is FINISHED!
Now, there's been some major changes done to the workings of the program. The user interface hasn't changed all that much, although I did add something. Here's the watered-down changes list:
* New maintenance system, using definition files
* Automatic version checking and definition updates
* Built reg request program into main program
* Added drag-and-drop ability
* Added an About screen
Now, there's three important WARNINGS at the beginning of the readme file, but I know how people never read readme files these days, so I'm posting them here. READ THESE!
* Automation file specifications have been moved to the definition file readme. Check the "definition readme.txt" file that came in the ZIP file with your NGLister program, or in the folder containing NGLister.
* New in version 2.0 is a "definition file" system, allowing easier updates to specific parts of the program. If you update your definition file, be EXTRA careful to keep the nglister.ngl file in the same folder as your NGLister program. Otherwise, NGLister won't be able to find your definition file and will revert to the built-in (older) file.
* When you start version 2.0 for the first time (or any time you remove the nglister.ngl file), you will be told that the definition file was "missing or invalid" and you will be prompted if you want to use the built-in file. Click Yes, or the program will exit.
I'm really proud of this latest version, and the debugging went by remarkably fast. No matter how hard I tried, though, the silly program still ended up being 120KB, just like 1.6.1. Oh well.
So, to boil things down: much easier updates, automatic self-updates, no more NGLRegRequest, drag-and-drop, and an About screen.
I've also included a "definition format.txt" file in the NGLister ZIP. This file tells you all about the format used in the definition files. This is another cool part, because this means that if I'm out of town and something goes wrong, it's possible for other users to make changes to the program. Also, this means if I stop working on this program at some point, it won't stagnate.
The URL to download this package is: http://www.retrogade.com/nglister2.zip
I repeat, Retrogade. One R, not two. :-P
Previously registrations for NGLister will work with 2.0; you don't need to register again. Also, new registrations don't require running a separate program; NGLister will tell you the registration info when you start it up.
As soon as I return to my dorm room (sometime this weekend), I'll post this stuff on my jfsoftware.com page and get the online auto-update feature started up. Ooh, this is gonna be so cool.
Again, the URL is http://www.retrogade.com/nglister2.zip