00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

420,241 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 20:07:53

At 3/3/05 10:33 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote: What do you mean by "karate"? There are many styles of karate. Technically, you are practicing a form of karate when you are defending yourself with no weapons. Karate means "empty hand" after all. I'm in a Okinawin style of karate called Isshin-Ryu. What style are you asking about? If you don't know the name of your style, it might be a good idea to find out, after all, when you refer to karate you're refering to over a hundred different styles. Please don't take this as an insult. I'm merely asking that you be a little more specific.

well its just plain open hand stuff and there is a lot of weapon stuff 2. i learn almost everything cause im a black belt.

so does anybody do stuff with the fan, samurai, bow, or nunchuko?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 20:38:53

Okay to the guy who ripped on Jackie Chan. The cartoon idea is for little kids. Tons of little kids love Jackie Chan so they decided to do a show on him. And sides its not like bruce lee never sold himself out. And then again i wouldnt classify any of that selling out, they worked hard and earned it

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 21:19:34

At 3/4/05 06:38 PM, MarkArandjus wrote:
Oh I know this. They got their independance not too long ago right?

It appears you know your stuff : )

Sorry, but I haven't trained any martial arts.
I was thinking of taking a sword art like kendo.
But I decided to wait for a realy good club that has more than just one sword art.
All I have round here are a few simple clubs that don't last to long anyway.

Heck, as long as you're interested in martial arts you're welcome to join. You may know more history about martial arts than some people here. When you say "simple clubs" do you mean mcdojos or poorly taught martial arts schools? If so, I know what you mean.

I am however a great fan and observer of martial arts i get some lessons from my best friend now and then(I'll ask him to join he has been training Tae Kwon Do for 7 years now).
One day i might join...

Follow your heart man, if you like TKD, go for it. Quite a few of our members are in TKD and I'm sure most of them would be happy disscuss any questions you have about their styles or any other topics or questions you have about martial arts.

One question however.
There is a link to a game called capoeria fighters if you saw it.
I played the game.
It is extremly wall made, however...
It misses the point of capoeria. This art isn't trying to beat the pulp out of your oponent.
It's more like a dance(this art reminds me of brakedancing a lot).
The two fighters work together to block and doge.

What do you think of this?
And other games that are misused like this?

I've played it, and I've found myself dissapointed. From the looks of it, it was made by a person who watched the style a few times, but never actually studied the style to understand it's true fundamentals. It's fun to play, but not a good reference to the style.
Games and movies like that are very missleading and cause people to make assumptions about somthing they've never seen. (bad or good)
Unfortunately, there are now two sides to martial arts which are; the Hollywood Version which is meant for Entertainment and the Real World which is a life style meant to help defend yourself and others.

Basically what I'm saying is that 1 side as entertainment and the other as a way of life.

I hope that answers your questions. and welcome to the club, if you'd like to be a part of us.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 21:23:31

At 3/4/05 08:07 PM, PS2freak5555 wrote:
well its just plain open hand stuff and there is a lot of weapon stuff 2. i learn almost everything cause im a black belt.

so does anybody do stuff with the fan, samurai, bow, or nunchuko?

My my... Dante... I think we've found your evil twin... O_O

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 22:53:04

At 3/3/05 07:53 AM, ROSSI wrote:
At 3/2/05 07:21 PM, Grim_T wrote:
HMMM heres a poll.

Who would you rather be
a)ninja
b)samurai
c)Semi-Shinro
d)chinese hitman

I would pick A)ninja, I have posted why before. btw isnt a ninja basiclly a chinese hitman cause even though the movies and stuff were always in japan you cant possiblly tell me that not a single persone of all of those bajillion peaple in china is a ninja. the numbers are just to like unimaginable and just dont add up. and out of all those no offense shin but I would least like to be a Semi-Shinro because he would (once again no offense shin) probablly get his nuts chopped off by the ninja, had his ass lopped off and handed back to him to eat on a silver platter by the samurai, ended up in a dead even tie with a Semi-Shinro, and been shot in the face about a kabillion times by the Chinese Hitman.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 22:58:56

At 3/3/05 06:46 PM, Katase wrote:
At 2/23/05 10:44 PM, Yoogateefloo wrote: Mind if I join? I am a red belt in Isshinryu karatae, plus I instruct kendo.
a.....a...kendo instructor! omg wow. dood im a Kendoist :D

Really? It's good to meet you. But I've only recently started instructing.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 22:59:40

At 3/3/05 06:58 PM, PS2freak5555 wrote: does any body here do karate?

I just received my blackbelt in Shoto Khan (for style not for use), why do you ask? and btw the reasone it takes us alittle while to respond is because we have lifes outside of NG or atleast I do anyways. most of wich conssists of schoolwork, Football, training, and working on cars.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 23:04:21

At 3/4/05 10:53 PM, nr5714k wrote:
At 3/3/05 07:53 AM, ROSSI wrote:
At 3/2/05 07:21 PM, Grim_T wrote:
HMMM heres a poll.

Who would you rather be
a)ninja
b)samurai
c)Semi-Shinro
d)chinese hitman
I would pick A)ninja, I have posted why before. btw isnt a ninja basiclly a chinese hitman cause even though the movies and stuff were always in japan you cant possiblly tell me that not a single persone of all of those bajillion peaple in china is a ninja. the numbers are just to like unimaginable and just dont add up.

Never tell anyone that Ninjas are Chinese. It's true that there were ninjas in China during Japanese occupations, but they originated in Japan, and were never, ever trained in China. Ninjas were almost completely exclusive to Japan.

Did it ever occur to you that the word "ninja" is Japanese? Chinese versions were probably named "assassin" in Chinese, or something of that sort......but Ninjitsu itself is completely Japanese, and was only copied by China. Ninjas are not Chinese by any means.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 23:15:55

At 3/2/05 11:20 AM, DroopyA wrote: I never liked my teachers either, especially not my PE teacher. All he cared about was the football team. The rest of us could get our intestines ripped out in the bathroom for all he cared... unless you're on the football team, you where a nobody. But that's not surpising. Sadly, that's how it is in most American high schools. Just don't be like that guy. :)

I pretty much personally put an end to my schools heirarchy. (I am on the football team) and I am basiclly and your going to laugh at this because I only weigh like 150 lbs and im only about 5"10' or so but I am pretty much a star running back for Vegas High wich basiclly has the best football team in town. And since im pretty much invaluable to the schools pride what I say goes. its kinda fun being a sophmore and already able to tell the seniors what to do. BWHAHAHAHAHA...

and btw Tom Bulgis or whatever calm down man Im not saying that Ninjas are chinese im just saying that out ofall the chinese peaple there are there has to be one that is from and trained in china I mean come on its like too crazy. thats like saying Aliens cant exist and that out of these bajillionkillion lightyears of space we are the only living things man. I mean think about it, its far more than possible

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-04 23:23:47

hey sorry for the double post, and im not trying to be pushy or anything but I need to ask all of the new members to join our homepage I figgured shin, leth, or dsm would but I guess not so here is the link to the page

http://ngmac.proboards31.com/index.cgi

note: it is not a requirment to join it is simply more convenient and plus from there you can go to the chat room that nobody is ever at. : ) ok well that is all for now later

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 00:32:03

At 3/4/05 04:25 PM, DarkLlama wrote: I just got my black belt a few weeks ago. I take Shotokan karate.

Wellol, congratulations! :)
My uncle got his few weeks ago too, thats just cool i think :P

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 01:26:05

At 3/5/05 12:32 AM, carmelhadinosaur wrote:
At 3/4/05 04:25 PM, DarkLlama wrote: I just got my black belt a few weeks ago. I take Shotokan karate.
Wellol, congratulations! :)
My uncle got his few weeks ago too, thats just cool i think :P

dont mean to sound dissrespectfull but its not like it was a recent thing so its kinda late for congratts. but thank you none the less.

So anyways... I have been alittle down latlly because as Katasi knows already my sensai is getting older. and I dont think he will live much longer... and to me its not just losing a sensai its losing a freind, a father even. So please try and excuse me if I come off as rude or angry.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 14:12:07

So anyways... I have been alittle down latlly because as Katasi knows already my sensai is getting older. and I dont think he will live much longer... and to me its not just losing a sensai its losing a freind, a father even. So please try and excuse me if I come off as rude or angry.

no problem. it is understandable when someone is loseing someone close one tends to be on edge. i am sure we can all agree to that

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 16:28:34

At 3/5/05 02:12 PM, Katase wrote: no problem. it is understandable when someone is loseing someone close one tends to be on edge. i am sure we can all agree to that

ya me 2 i can agree 2 that (i think)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 18:11:07

At 3/4/05 11:15 PM, nr5714k wrote:
I pretty much personally put an end to my schools heirarchy. (I am on the football team) and I am basiclly and your going to laugh at this because I only weigh like 150 lbs and im only about 5"10' or so but I am pretty much a star running back for Vegas High wich basiclly has the best football team in town.

That's nothing. I'm 6'1 and I weigh 138 lbs. Beat that for the skinny factor, chump!!!!

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 18:13:50

.... and to me its not just losing a sensai its losing a freind, a father even. So please try and excuse me if I come off as rude or angry.
no problem. it is understandable when someone is loseing someone close one tends to be on edge. i am sure we can all agree to that

You're not alone, many of us feel that way about their masters, In fact, I'm in that same position now so to speak...

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 21:00:45

At 3/4/05 12:55 AM, Tombulgius wrote: stuff

Well, I can understand that, but I like to keep the force, injuries, and overall violence to a minimum. I just want to get my attacker to the ground as quickly and as painlessly as possible. If you use force, the opponent will resist, so I don't like to use force.

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 22:04:05

At 3/4/05 09:19 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote: Heck, as long as you're interested in martial arts you're welcome to join.

Thank you very much Semi-shiro.

I've thought about it and there is one thing...
I am an urban free runner(a traceur). I'm involved in an activity called parkour.
Perhaps you have heard of it.
It involves using simple obsticles you would find in a city like edges roof tops or just walls to make trics.
There are many trics(my fav is the wallrun).
This is also an art. Perhaps not a martial one, but it relates on many levels.

I would like to learn the wallflip.
I love that trick.
I have composed a training plan to learn it, but I would like to ask if anyone knows how to do it and give me some advice.

Thank you!

BTW. Here is an incredible move-corner wallrun> sideways wallflip.
http://www.uk-trails-videos.fsnet.co.uk/wallflip.gif

I'm a tad dislexic, don't hate me.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 22:05:09

Pardon I mispelled your name.

I'm a tad dislexic, don't hate me.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-05 23:11:15

R u talking about free running. That is really awesome shit. o and ps2 freak you saying that since your a black belt you learn everything. THat is so not true and ill tell you why. THe best things you do you do not learn from other people. YOu learn from yourself. Not everyone has the same stregnths and weaknesses. I am a good example for that. WHen it comes to spinning i have good spin and control but things like 540 are hard for me. I do a 720 easier than a 540. Hieght is also another thing. I can kick really fn high and even do an axe kick and hit something behind me but no one taught me that. I did. Just how it is

And everyoen join NR's new club. Hit his sig

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-06 00:31:54

At 3/5/05 10:04 PM, MarkArandjus wrote: I've thought about it and there is one thing...
I am an urban free runner(a traceur). I'm involved in an activity called parkour.
Perhaps you have heard of it.
It involves using simple obsticles you would find in a city like edges roof tops or just walls to make trics.
There are many trics(my fav is the wallrun).
This is also an art. Perhaps not a martial one, but it relates on many levels.

I would like to learn the wallflip.
I love that trick.
I have composed a training plan to learn it, but I would like to ask if anyone knows how to do it and give me some advice.

Thank you!

BTW. Here is an incredible move-corner wallrun> sideways wallflip.
http://www.uk-trails-videos.fsnet.co.uk/wallflip.gif

hmm... I have met sombody that did that, he called it free running. Never knew it was popular thing though I just though it was somthing he made up. But if that thing that guy did was good (personally I though that was pretty cool) then the guy that I knew was frigging amazing. unfortunatlly though he move do Arizona (his dad was in the millitary and got restationed)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-06 19:21:34

hmm......it would kind of be useful to know all that stuff about fliping off walls and stuff. on a side note w00t Kendo tomarrow!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 13:09:43

At 3/5/05 06:11 PM, Grim_T wrote: That's nothing. I'm 6'1 and I weigh 138 lbs. Beat that for the skinny factor, chump!!!!

I'm 5'9, 23 years old, and only weight 120... seriously.

Request deletion

This went wrong.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 14:26:50

At 3/7/05 01:09 PM, DroopyA wrote:
At 3/5/05 06:11 PM, Grim_T wrote: That's nothing. I'm 6'1 and I weigh 138 lbs. Beat that for the skinny factor, chump!!!!

Oh my...
I'm 6'0, 16 years old and my weight is 154 lbs.
Seriously, get a gym card XD

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 14:34:00

At 3/7/05 02:26 PM, Letahlity wrote:
At 3/7/05 01:09 PM, DroopyA wrote:
Oh my...
I'm 6'0, 16 years old and my weight is 154 lbs.
Seriously, get a gym card XD

lol of everyone here i think i need a gym card the most....im 14 way 185 lbs and im 27% body fat...no in rl im not obese or fat...hell if you looked at me you couldent tell that i needed to lose alot of weight.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 16:17:56

As long as you can run 10 feet without falling over then you are not out of shape

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 16:29:36

At 3/7/05 04:17 PM, dsmking wrote: As long as you can run 10 feet without falling over then you are not out of shape

Are you saying you can only run 10 feet without falling over? I'm sorry, but that sounds pathetic. What is your definition of being in shape anyway? :p

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 16:39:44

in my opinion its best to be in between fit and not fit. when your TOO fit i notice people get a bit more arrogant. when your fat or morbidly obese then your to depressed and blame everything on everyone else. so its good to have a balance

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 17:11:42

At 3/7/05 04:39 PM, Katase wrote: in my opinion its best to be in between fit and not fit. when your TOO fit i notice people get a bit more arrogant. when your fat or morbidly obese then your to depressed and blame everything on everyone else. so its good to have a balance

Big deal. I don't a shit about them.
People's attitude against me may change over time, but really...
I don't give a tiny rat's ass about the entire world not liking me.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-07 18:54:40

At 3/7/05 04:29 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote:
At 3/7/05 04:17 PM, dsmking wrote: As long as you can run 10 feet without falling over then you are not out of shape
Are you saying you can only run 10 feet without falling over? I'm sorry, but that sounds pathetic. What is your definition of being in shape anyway? :p

wOOt?! this reminds me I found out the other day that I can run almost full speed for about four miles. I was like so out of breath but I like the sensation of complete and utter exaustion cause I dont experience it very often. but anyways I know what you mean by the peaple that are fit think that there all that and arrogant, in vegas it seems like the white kids are always depressed though probablly because nobody takes us whites seriouslly here.

oh yeah I saw an awsome steet fight between a boxer thats supposedlly like really good (personally I dont know but he did have pretty good endurance) and a total bad ass from my Dojo. well anyways the dude from my dojo walked right through him but it still took him a good four or five min to put him out though, and he took acouple good licks but he deffinatlly won the battle because the other dude was so messed up at the end you wouldnt have even been able to recognize him