00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

renatocfrancisco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I've made a jumping engine for all.

48,477 Views | 365 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-17 08:01:02

At 1/17/05 07:54 AM, Rystic wrote:
At 1/15/05 02:13 PM, The_Protector wrote: can somebody help me?? when I fall from too high, the wall does not stop me and I continue to fall ... is there a action script that make that even if I fall from very high, the wall stops me
It's suppose to fall forever. If you want to stop, make sure a block is in the

yes , i made a bloc and add the script but sometime , some block whit the script doesnt stop my character ....

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-17 08:06:51

if you want , i can send you my game so you will be able to see what is the error

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-17 12:56:04

At 1/17/05 08:06 AM, The_Protector wrote: if you want , i can send you my game so you will be able to see what is the error

You can IM me. I use MSN messenger.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-17 13:02:09

your only problem is that there is a much simpler jump code out there. And I have a simple code thats alot shorter than yours that'll work easily

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-17 17:54:15

At 1/17/05 01:02 PM, The_Mercenary wrote: your only problem is that there is a much simpler jump code out there. And I have a simple code thats alot shorter than yours that'll work easily

say it ! say it !

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-18 16:08:03

Hi rystic!
I'm somewhat like a noob (I bet you're pretty tired of guys like me). I've got a problem, I need help with "jumpheight" defining. I've copied your code straight through and put it in my MC character. I've done the same with the "block". Now, the problem is that my character just refuses to jump unless I change the "jumpheight value" over 48. If I for example use "jumpheight value" 49 my character is flying to the moon and back if you know what I mean. ;)

I hope you understand my english...

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 16:07:54

At 1/17/05 01:02 PM, The_Mercenary wrote: your only problem is that there is a much simpler jump code out there. And I have a simple code thats alot shorter than yours that'll work easily

You probably have that one-movie clip engine... I hate that. It's full of bugs.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 16:23:43

At 1/17/05 05:54 PM, The_Protector wrote:
say it ! say it !

Trust me, I've seen simpler engines. There are two out there:

One just has a movieclip called ground, and that stops the character from falling. Only problem is, you can have only one platform, so that's useless.

The second has one movieclip, with every block in it. If you want to use this, fine by me, but I don't recommend it. If you ever see an engine like this, it'll always have a few blocks placed in a simple manner. That's all it can handle. The problem is that some stupid scripters out there wrote the single-clip code because it was easy, and didn't realize how utterly useless it was when put to the test. The blocks can't stop you from moving through them left or right most of the time. And small blocks? The character falls through like they don't exist.

The reason I like my engine is because it can be used effectively. It went through rigorous testing; I used randomly sized blocks over and over. Even when I was sure it was working, I kept testing. Other then that, the blocks in my engine can be customized to do different things, such as be fake, be moving, be breakable, etc...

Sure the code is confusing. But hey, it's a quality engine that can be used to make quality games. I told you, if you have problems, IM me and I'll help fix them.

As for you, The_Mercenary, why don't you post the code? I want to see it. I'll test it my way, and see if it can handle the complex situations that occur in almost every platformer.

I'm getting so sick of people telling me their engines are better then mine, and then giving me some stupid bug-ridden piece of work.

{{{{{ ANGER }}}}}

Anyone else reading this, I apologize... I'm in a crappy mood, I'm pretty angry. And if anyone else says they have a better engine, post it before you brag about it.

-Rystic

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 16:28:22

At 1/18/05 04:08 PM, utter1 wrote: Hi rystic!
I'm somewhat like a noob (I bet you're pretty tired of guys like me). I've got a problem, I need help with "jumpheight" defining. I've copied your code straight through and put it in my MC character. I've done the same with the "block". Now, the problem is that my character just refuses to jump unless I change the "jumpheight value" over 48. If I for example use "jumpheight value" 49 my character is flying to the moon and back if you know what I mean. ;)

I hope you understand my english...

JumpHeight should be around 14 to 18, not at 49. But, if it won't jump, try double-clicking the clip and centering it. The closer it is to the center, the better. If that doesn't work, e-mail the file to me and I'll fix it .

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 18:53:51

At 1/19/05 04:07 PM, Rystic wrote:
You probably have that one-movie clip engine... I hate that. It's full of bugs.

I dont know what you mean by that, The ground is all one movie clip and there are no bugs in it. You cant go through walls, or fall through the ground, you never get stuck in walls either. It also comes with moving up slopes and stuff. But why should I talk? I can let you see for yourself
http://img123.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img123&image=platformengine5jn.swf
and all it is is 2 sets of code, 1 for the player and the other for the ground, its so easy to make a game out of my engine that even a person with no skill whatsoever at flash can do it. The only thing they ahve to do is copy+paste the code then change the instance name of the ground to "ground" and player to "character", or they can change it from the code and give it different instance names, but thats up to them. The reason I'm not posting the code is that I dont want so jakcass to just take it and submit something to the portal and make people think he actually did anything.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 18:55:29

oh yea, controls are simple
move: left right arrows
jump: space

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 20:02:32

ok rystic , i IM you whit a fla file of my simple game ( i make it for a little collab ) and try it , sometime ( in lvl 5 i think ) wall doesnt work :'(

plz answer me

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 20:36:43

Hey, great script! I like the fact that you don't have to name the hero movie clip. It is great, you did a really good job.

I made a gravity engine too, and I'd like to know what you guys think about it. It works like Rystic's one, with blocks, but with a few differences (like acceleration and 50% air control). I just want to know how you think it is.

Here's the link :
http://www.freewebs.com/joelasticot/engine.htm

It's on freewebs so it might just open this topic in another window. If this happens, just copy-paste the link in your browser.
Controls : Arrows

ey

BBS Signature

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-19 21:10:54

At 1/19/05 06:53 PM, The_Mercenary wrote: Stuff

That engine needs a shitload of bugs removed, plus I doubt you'd be able to easily insert walking, standing, and jump animations without having a whole mess of problems.

As to rystic, I disagree greatly on the opinion that having one instance for the entire ground being a worse system.

This
is an engine using that method that I believe is superior to yours.

Why-

Much less actionscript - much better performance(though the graphics really don't prove that point).

Slopes and wall support - The engine can support walls, and slopes. Although there are no walls in that demo.

Easier for new people to grasp - Having just one movie clip named ground is easier than having a bunch of blocks with different scripts and the player mc.

Everything's not restricted to blocks - Having ground with just a bunch of squares to move around on REALLY limits what you can do with it. Although you're right on it not being able to support EXTREMELY small blocks, it could easily be modified to support smaller blocks. Although I don't see the reasoning to needing to have blocks the size of one or two pixels.

If I seemed a little harsh in my post, it's because I personally took offense to your comment about my method, mainly because I posted a fla of an old engine of mine awhile ago. Sure I could make an engine using the traditional block method(and I think I could do it better), but having hilly terrain makes it much easier to draw ground objects and much more fun to play.

I know there's a few bugs, I haven't had much time to work on the jumping as I've been concentrating on other things(like restoring it to the level it was before I had to reformat my computer and restart most of the game).

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 20:02:31

did you read anything I said? :| I use one movie clip for the ground as well, I have slope support as well. And I'm currently doing a game that has animation and stuff in it! With no damn bugs, it also has spin-bars and stuff. I dont even use blocks. I can easily make terrain and make it walkable on....I'm not even sure if you looked at the engine game I posted. I made it in about 2 minutes with the code I had...If that isnt enough for you, here is the test level from my game.
http://img41.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img41&image=jaktestlevel2ck.swf
This is with animation and stuff and if want to see it being ran with a actual background play the demo from my profile, though there are some bugs in it which I have taken care of already, but they are not related to the engine so it doesnt really matter. All that is done with only 2 peaces of code like I mentioned earlier

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 20:05:10

oh yea the controls:
move: left, right
Jump: SPace
Hover/kick: down (while in air)
Take out weapon: m,n
Shoot: Down (while weapob is out)
Punch: Down (while weapon is put away)
BTW I didnt mean to offend you in any way, I was just stating that You dont need a billion lines of code to make a platform engine that works really well.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 20:12:29

Oh an one more thing to not get you confused. The animation is done by codes inside of the MC and so is the double jump, and hover thing. I also have a mode where you can grow wings and fly, but I took it out of the test room :P cause I can!

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 21:39:46

Damn! Still no reply! well, you'll get on eventually.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 21:41:50

The jumping is extremely buggy dude, he doesn't even land on the platforms, and when he does "land" he bounces up quickly.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 21:51:40

At 1/20/05 09:41 PM, -Geoff- wrote: The jumping is extremely buggy dude, he doesn't even land on the platforms, and when he does "land" he bounces up quickly.

He doesnt have to land perfectly on the platform cause the platforms are set out so that you dont have to be perfect to jump on one and besides that its actually quite easy to fix. All I have to do is change the code so that it tell the player to stop when he is closer to the ground, which means I just have to make it stop a lower _y level then it is right now . BTW that bouncing is called animation. Its just the rebound of the character when he lands. I want to know how the jump is "buggy", if anything its better than alot of other platforms here cause you can actually double jump.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 22:08:31

Even when the animation doesn't play, the character still goes down then bounces up a little when he lands. He also seems to land at a different location relative to the ground each time.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 22:12:33

oh now I see the bounce, it was in the earlier thing I posted with the square...dont know where that came from, only reason I can think of is that I put a code so that if you happen to land inside of the ground it pushes you back out, but that shouldnt happen until your deep into it....hmmm....maybe its the jump code...I dont know, it doesnt happen with my actual game though, There are some instances where you land a little higher or less higher than before, but the bounce doesnt occur. Well still, it shouldnt matter unless you have a 2d backdrop. BTW My camera is always on the player as well. I made this last year and I'm sure I can make a better one now. But I still think its good for anything except flat 2d backgrounded platform games.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-20 22:18:04

At 1/20/05 10:08 PM, -Geoff- wrote: Even when the animation doesn't play, the character still goes down then bounces up a little when he lands. He also seems to land at a different location relative to the ground each time.

yea i just noticed that, its totally unoticeable when you have the backdrop on, and I havnt really been looking at my test level. I think that both reasons are cause because of the frame-rate, since the code doesnt go through fast enough each time it doesnt always land in the same spot. Its 25fps...I need to make my own jump-code, I'm using the one that that one guy made last year, cant remember his name, f-something...damn...oh well, its not a big deal and it doesnt really make too much of a difference if you ask me.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-21 07:33:18

hey can you say me the script you use the_mercenary ... or ust e-mail me
my e-mail

and no , if you give it to me , i will not say to other that it's me that create it!

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-21 19:32:23

What the hell has this become?

People, why are we fighting amonst ourselves over this? The original point of the topic wasn't to squabble over who's engine was the best, but rather to help people make sidescrollers.

We each seem to have different reasons for liking our own engines the best. In that case, why don't we all just use our respective engines and leave eachother alone?

And if I sounded harsh before, I'm sorry. I was in a crappy mood. Now it's over. Stop fighting and start posting code so we can get back to helping the n00bs.

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-21 20:51:08

At 1/21/05 07:33 AM, scrap_head wrote: hey can you say me the script you use the_mercenary ... or ust e-mail me
my e-mail

and no , if you give it to me , i will not say to other that it's me that create it!

K I e-mailed it to you

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-21 20:52:24

OH MY FUCKING GOD! NOT AGAIN! Suicide Bomber is my bros account, so I mistakenly posted it while he was logged in. ANyway, I e-mailed the code to you

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-01-23 10:01:46

I,ve run into a problem. My character can't jump. he is a sprite.
I don't know what I did wrong. Can somebody please help me out.
ohh and i used unaltered code (its the code in rystic's jump engine fla. file)

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-02-03 19:33:46

cool that really cool for you to do that!

Response to I've made a jumping engine for all. 2005-02-06 19:19:59

At 2/3/05 07:33 PM, webermb wrote: cool that really cool for you to do that!

I apologize to anyone who e-mailed me and didn't get a reply. I've been bit busy with school lately. However, I've managed to get myself more free time. If your still are having problems, e-mail me again and this time I'll respond.