00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pixel Day 2023 Winners

14,984 Views | 75 Replies
Respond to this Topic

January 23rd was our eighth annual Pixel Day on Newgrounds, a celebration of pixel art, animation, games and chiptunes!

It was a day filled with wonder, basically Christmas morning for anyone who likes pixel art. We offered up prizes for our favorite entries, here are the winners!

Top Eight Games

πŸ†1st - $450

β€œWhat appears to be a simple platformer at first turns out to have really tight and deep mechanics (without being overwhelming with the control scheme). The level designs are also very well-thought-out, I especially enjoyed the "racing" level where the end doors become closed off based on how fast you go. I really wish this one had gamepad support because my hands started cramping up with the current keyboard control scheme.” -@BoMToons

β€œI dunno exactly who said it, Miyamoto or somebody like that, but apparently the key to a great platformer is ensuring that its core movement mechanics feel so fluid and dynamic that you could have fun even in an empty room. Such was the case for how I lost hours as a kid just goofing around in the starting courtyard in Mario 64, and such was the case for Gappy's Playground. It's still in development so some of the controls are subject to change, but overall the game felt very good to control and, despite the levels being just test levels with no big story or ending to them, nevertheless created such a fun, addictive and challenging experience.” -@FuturecopLGF

πŸ†2nd - $250

β€œSilly good, outrageous, fun. The controls on this were really easy to pick up and play and felt very intuitive to me. I love seeing a boss battle! A game with a wacky sense of humor always tickles my fancy. The variety of weapons was really fun to explore, kept me wondering what was coming next. Also, I loved the music in this.” -@BoMToons

β€œWhat other game can you mow down enemies with a stampede of soldiers summoned by your dulcet tunes, or bludgeon enemies with a flailing phone while there is someone on the line trying to speak to you? Heck, even without those powerups, it's still so satisfying to run around saving the world by poking and slapping enemies until they flop over, only to pick up their body and chuck it to knock someone else down!” -@FuturecopLGF

πŸ†3rd - $200

β€œFun word game with an original concept. The daily challenge is a really neat feature. The thing chasing me from above freaked me out! Intuitive controls and concept and nicely polished as we've all come to expect from Jack!” -@BoMToons

πŸ†4th - $150

β€œSo much charm in this with the simplified graphics/animations and the unconventional story line. Every character had its own unique and interesting/funny personality and the ending was heart-warming. This game distilled a lot of what's great about a Metroid-vania into a small, easy to complete package, but with a real story! I had a genuinely good time playing this, but now I want a sequel where we see whether the adventurers or monsters win in the end and what role the little goblin cook plays in it all!” -@BoMToons

πŸ†5th - $55

β€œThe art of the rage game is a fine art indeed: the more challenging the game, the more the developer has to ensure that the controls and structure are that much more refined in order to ensure that it feels not only fair, but satisfying so as to make all of the player's time worthy of investment. When it came to head hunting, my time felt very well invested as despite a rough start, the more I played had me getting absolutely addicted to the swinging physics as it put me through even more intricate obstacles. An excellent short and sweet 'getting over it' experience.” -@FuturecopLGF

πŸ†6th - $50

β€œThis was a surprisingly fresh puzzle game. It's a great example of how limitations (no jumping) can foster creativity and unique level designs. The calendar week progress map was also an original and engaging detail. Definitely check this one out!” -@BoMToons

πŸ†7th - $50

β€œIt's a bit rough around the edges and still under development, but the broad strokes of the game are pretty solid and attractive: a dark and mysterious world and aesthetic, a subtle story elegantly told through minimal cutscenes, a nice combat system that has you strategically go back and forth between melee and ranged, and some incredible boss fights with all sorts of crazy moves to challenge yourself against! Overall a cool enough spectacle that has you forgive its missteps.” -@FuturecopLGF

πŸ†8th - $50

β€œAn excellent example for why games do not always need to be 100+ hour epics with all sorts of fancy raytracing effects and overwrought cinematics. Look at Kitten Cannon, look at Cookie Clicker, and then look at good: baseball and tell me it doesn't feel so damn satisfying to get a perfect SMASH hit and knock that ball straight outta Fenway Park, woo!” -@FuturecopLGF

β€œThis game goes to show that you don't need a lot of complexity to make something really fun. The connection between bat and ball felt truly satisfying/solid and the varied timing of the pitches kept me on my toes. I played this a lot longer than I probably should have trying to beat my high score. Easy to pick up, hard to master!” -@BoMToons

Thank you @BoMToons, @FuturecopLGF and @ThatJohnnyGuy for game judging assistance!

Top Six Movies

πŸ†1st - $250

πŸ†2nd - $150

πŸ†3rd - $100

πŸ†4th - $50

πŸ†5th - $50

πŸ†6th - $50

Thank you @PhantomArcade and @ThatJohnnyGuy for movie judging assistance!

Top Seven Art

πŸ†1st - $200

πŸ†2nd - $150

πŸ†3rd - $75

πŸ†4th - $50

πŸ†5th - $50

πŸ†6th - $50

πŸ†7th - $50

Thank you @JohnnyUtah and @ThatJohnnyGuy for art judging assistance!

Top Five Music

πŸ†1st - $200

πŸ†2nd - $130

πŸ†3rd - $75

πŸ†4th - $60

πŸ†5th - $50

Thank you @ThatJohnnyGuy for music judging assistance!

Shout out to @Dieswyx, @Dry and @TeraVex, who made entire albums / soundtracks!

Thank you everyone who participated in Pixel Day and @ThatJohnnyGuy for suggesting this event event!

Thank you @moawling for our beautiful site skin and promo banner!

Thank you to our Pixel Day Sponsors!

The Funkin' Crew - $400

@LumpyTouch - $200

@josephbourgeois - $200

@DrSevenSeizeMD - $104.28

@heyopc - $100

@Jack - $100

@NamelessNathan - $100

@wheezl - $100

@Graeme - $100

@olskoo - $50

@liefhebber - $50

@Miroko - $50

@Dry - $35.26

@53xy83457 - $25

@SketchToPen - $25

@MigMoog - $5

Newgrounds - $1,400

Something that has been on my mind, maybe for this June: Low Poly Day?

iu_897355_1.gif

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:38:09

Fantastic choices for winners! Congrats to all!

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:38:36

Congratulations Winners!!! Loved seeing everything this year and looking forward to the next! (Low poly day lol yes)

Love you guys <3

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:40:10

Oh yeah Tom you accidentally spelt thatjohnnyguy wrong with the music judging thing

Love you guys <3

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:41:44

At 2/15/23 12:40 PM, Taka wrote: Oh yeah Tom you accidentally spelt thatjohnnyguy wrong with the music judging thing

Fixed!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:42:51

I'll also note: If you or your team won, be sure to fill out the Address Form!

https://www.newgrounds.com/account/addressform

You can proactively PM me with a breakdown of how you'd like your team to split the prize money, otherwise I'll be chasing people down soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 12:51:38

Congratulations for the Winners ^_^

iu_897389_11781426.png

Im a Brazilian animator who likes to make Animations!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 13:58:28

Welp, see you guys in 2 years when Gappy's playground becomes "The Adventure of Gappy : Coinkeeper's Cantrip" :-)

Seriously, thank you to everyone who played Gappy, thanks for the insanely nice words! and I hope that the full game is even better than the demo! Teravex and I are gonna make the best damn platformer on this side of the Mississippi!

bubba gump

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:01:17

Congratulations to all the winners! It was amazing all the things that were done on January 23rd, personally I'm very happy that my game Dark Sword won, it's the first time I participate in a Newgrounds contest and I really like to share what I do here :,D

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:01:57

4th place 0:

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:22:15

Congratulations to all of the winners.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:26:00

Gappy's is actually incredible to play

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:28:11

At 2/15/23 12:38 PM, Atlas wrote: Fantastic choices for winners! Congrats to all!

I agree. So many good submissions that it was hard to pick the winners.

@Atlas

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:33:33

At 2/15/23 01:09 PM, ThatJohnnyGuy wrote: Grats to the winners! Thanks for keeping this alive every year @TomFulp! Lots of great entries! I had fun going through them! I'm glad I didn't get sick until after judging lol.

Lol I’m sick right now too!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:46:21

Congrats to everyone who won! I can definitely agree with the BoI piece winning, it was insanely cool and made me want to play the game again and Gappy's playground was a lot of fun to play and find everything in, can't wait for the big project that Levi was talking about with it. I'll have to check out some of these other ones that I missed too.

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:47:34

Aw, the entries I think are cool never seem to show up here lol.

Well, if anyone wants to check it out, I think this one had a cool concept and visuals.

Congratulations to the winners, and I hope you get well soon Tom!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 14:52:49

At 2/15/23 02:47 PM, colorsCrimsonTears wrote: Aw, the entries I think are cool never seem to show up here lol.

Well, if anyone wants to check it out, I think this one had a cool concept and visuals.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/872580

This one was actually shared after Pixel Day and wasn't participating in the competition. People should definitely check it out, though!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 15:06:15

Congrats to all Wixel Pay dinners!

(I'm totally not jealous)

xoxo πŸ’‹ (ps: okay I guess you can watch TRW)

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 15:09:45

At 2/15/23 12:38 PM, Taka wrote: Congratulations Winners!!! Loved seeing everything this year and looking forward to the next! (Low poly day lol yes)

So many top notch submissions, but the next one is always a little bit better.

@Taka

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 15:32:38

Great job everyone! Pixel day gets better every year!

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 15:50:06

I say hell yeah to that last part

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 15:58:44

At 2/15/23 01:09 PM, ThatJohnnyGuy wrote: Grats to the winners! Thanks for keeping this alive every year Lots of great entries! I had fun going through them! I'm glad I didn't get sick until after judging lol.

It's great that we keep this going every year. At least, you accomplished your mission.

@ThatJohnnyGuy

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 16:19:03

coolio

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 16:28:13

At 2/15/23 02:52 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/15/23 02:47 PM, colorsCrimsonTears wrote: Aw, the entries I think are cool never seem to show up here lol.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/872580

This one was actually shared after Pixel Day and wasn't participating in the competition. People should definitely check it out, though!

Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

It's still really cool though!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 16:31:48

At 2/15/23 01:58 PM, LeviRamirez wrote: Welp, see you guys in 2 years when Gappy's playground becomes "The Adventure of Gappy : Coinkeeper's Cantrip" :-)

I'll be ready to play it.

Seriously, thank you to everyone who played Gappy, thanks for the insanely nice words! and I hope that the full game is even better than the demo! Teravex and I are gonna make the best damn platformer on this side of the Mississippi!

You are welcome. As long as the full games keeps the original vibe, it should be amazing.

@LeviRamirez

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 16:46:27

At 2/15/23 12:38 PM, Taka wrote: Congratulations Winners!!! Loved seeing everything this year and looking forward to the next! (Low poly day lol yes)

we didnt win yet i congratulate all the amazing dudes and dudettes that made such amazing games.

i bet taka's gonna do something even better than what he did for pixel day next year...atleast i hope so, idk lol. our game slayed n slayed <3

anyways, congrats to everyone, love yall

xoxo

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 17:24:47

*Throws mini pixel shaped confetti's to winners, runner ups, and those who made an entry*

Awesome job to those who participated but I'm planning to do a 10th anniversary for pixel Day 2026 though before I retire or make art again.

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 17:25:15 (edited 2023-02-15 17:27:27)

W00!! Congrats!! Next year I'll try something more elaborate for my entry hahaiu_897605_4952433.jpg

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 18:25:39

Congrats to the winners! This was fun event to just participate in and to see other creations pop off. I'm very thankful with my placement and I hope development goes well to those who will continue their projects here.

Response to Pixel Day 2023 Winners 2023-02-15 19:30:46

Congratulations to the winners! I may not have won, but at least I tried :-)