00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Halloween 2022 Winners!

13,166 Views | 48 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 11:48:17

Last month was our Halloween Spooktacular, with prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. We enjoyed all your spooky entries and now it’s time to announce the winners!

🏆 Top Six Animation ($300, $200, $100, $50, $50, $50)

“There isn’t a lot that looks like A Den for Sick Moths on Newgrounds, it is informed from so many places artistically, and even in its tone, it feels very distinct. It’s dramatic, tense, and incredibly fun to look at. The traditional animation and full on embrace of that aesthetic throughout gives this movie its own incredible mood; it’s very unique and different from a lot of the other Halloween works on this site. But, it’s also bursting with a DIY rawness and specificity that makes it so damn cool and exciting to watch.” -thecooldrawingguy

“I fucking love everything by Gatekid3 so much, there is so much creativity in every short, and the color choices, palettes, and genuine heart and honesty in every project they put out are so inspiring to me. Bubblin’ was incredibly cute, perfectly dark and weird, and made with a level of professionalism and artistry only gatekid could pull off. The work that goes into every motion, action, and design is felt in every frame but it feels so earnest all the same, I love the colors too.” -thecooldrawingguy

“Incredibly well animated. I liked that they improved many of the original shots and added new ones as well.” -JohnnyUtah

“The music, animation, voice acting and pacing in Sirenhead all combined to make something really specific and really funny. It’s a great Halloween short with a great energy to it, short and to the point but not too fast and busy, it’s got everything it needs to be silly as fuck and very fun to rewatch. The music is awesome too, and every piece works together to make something really unique and fun!” -thecooldrawingguy

“The 5th Birthday is fucking great! The animation is shockingly expressive, and the lighting and mood are so funny and yet so eerie, it nails its Halloween vibe, stop motion and the spooky season just mix together perfectly. The humor of this short is so unique, and its pacing is secretly really solid. The changing of the letter has so much suspense as you anxiously watch to see what happens next. Plus, any Newgrounds film that can remind me of Jan Lenica earns a huge amount of respect from me, absolutely one of my favorites and endlessly fun to rewatch.” -thecooldrawingguy

“Sweet Tooth is super cool. This is definitely an artist I want to see more of, they take from every medium but their work never feels overstimulating. That kind of style lends itself great to striking Halloween imagery, and this artist pushed that all the way. I love the tone, the mediums used, the great music, the warm colors, we need more art that goes to this many places! The music is so great, and combined with the imagery and really cool and exciting mixed media, this is absolutely one of the most Halloween-y things uploaded this year.” -thecooldrawingguy

Thank you @thecooldrawingguy, @IvanAlmighty and @JohnnyUtah for animation judging assistance.

Shout out to @DannyGoodShirt and @BadTwinZ for organizing the Dr. Good's Operating Theatre and Resident Evil 2 Reanimated collabs, respectively!

🏆 Top Six Games ($300, $200, $100, $60, $50, $50)

“I loved the "bait and switch" premise which had me "hooked" almost immediately. So subversive (submersive?)! It's hard to make an action game easy to pick up and play while still having enough variety to keep things interesting and this game really delivered! Don't throw this one back, it's a keeper!” -BoMToons

“It's amazing how this game just kept delivering and delivering. I anticipated a fishing game with a jumpscare at the end and instead I got way, WAY more than I bargained for. Overwhelmingly fun and engaging.” -Jack

“Shockingly addicting and mechanically reminiscent of a Game & Watch game. It gets hectic fast but never feels unmanageable. Really fun!” -Jack

“I'll admit that maybe I'm rating this one so highly to make up for the fact that I foolishly rated it so lowly in my initial rankings for the month, but it really did get so much better for me once I played the game on its own terms instead of getting stuck to playing it to the music. This game is just a bloody good arcade game: great graphics, charming horror aesthetic, addictively simple yet fun and juicy gameplay, music is such a bop, tons of enemies which sport a multitude of patterns that deepen the strategy as you progress, and some wonderful bosses that are challenging in both their versions and feel great to knock out of the park! Despite its Tiger Games-esque gameplay, this is head-and-shoulders above those bygone clunkers!” -FuturecopLGF

“I loved the design/story of the main character. The concept was also great and fun for Halloween. Gameplay was engaging, but I wish the attacking enemies had been timed to the spooky music! The difficulty ramped up a bit fast for me, but I enjoyed the ride!” -BoMToons

“Quite the spooky trip through the woods in this point and click adventure that feels like it came right out of some spooky Eastern European folklore! I felt like it could've done a bit more to vary up the experience: what little puzzles it did have were very simple, and the rest of the game was a rather straight-forward game of straw millionaire, making obvious trades over and over. But still, I found myself enjoying the process despite its simplicity due to its great spooky atmosphere and well-paced sense of progression, and I was rewarded with the story coming together in the end with one heck of a horrific twist ending!” -FuturecopLGF

“Super consistent style and compelling story with a twist, spooky, ending!” -BoMToons

“Everything about this game is delightful and it's super easy to get hooked on the loop. It's frantic and feels like you're trying to juggle a million things at once, which is absolutely great for this type of game.” -Jack

“Immersive graphics, world, and gameplay. Nice creepy tone and surprising / confusing / philosophical(?) ending.” -BoMToons

“I gotta give it up to this game for being a really fun and well-constructed point-n-click adventure that I could see side-by-side with plenty of other greats. Had all the things I look for: tons of puzzles, items, flavor text, secrets, it's crazy how much was packed in here!” -FuturecopLGF

“Reminds me a bit of Undertale with its unique turn-based RPG action games. Good spooky tone with the crow theme being so prominent.” -BoMToons

“Incredibly faithful to the Gameboy style with a really cool Undertale-like combat system.” -Jack

Honorable Mentions

There were several Steam demos this year that were brilliant and fun. Judging leaned towards games that were more on-theme for Halloween but you should play all of these:

Thank you @BoMToons, @Stepford, @FuturecopLGF and @Jack for game judging assistance!

Art and Music winners are in the next post below:

iu_804438_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 11:48:26 (edited 2022-11-14 21:43:00)

🏆 Top Six Art ($200, $150, $100, $50, $50, $50)

Honorable Mentions

These entries made various judge’s lists!

Thank you @Bill, @JohnnyUtah, @IvanAlmighty and @PhantomArcade for art judging assistance!

🏆 Top Six Music ($200, $100, $75, $50, $50, $50)

Honorable Mentions

Thank you @Bosa for organizing and judging the music portion this year!

Thank you to our Sponsors!

@Bosa - $175

@ArchiveChronicles - $150

@JamesLee - $150

@DrSevenSeizeMD - $127.43

@Olskoo - $125

In memory of @CrosseyeTheCat - $100.13

@NamelessNathan - $100

@Zombie-Pimp - $100

@Jack - $100

@technomantics - $52

@Arkoirisangel - $50

@CassieBee - $50

@ProsciuttoMan - $50

@GrantTheHierophant - $50

@OviManic - $40

@Bleak-Creep - $30

@Malachy - $25

@MKMaffo - $25

@thecerealkiller - $25

@Andre601 - $20

@53xy83457 - $20

@Shal - $20

@Warvester - $10

@Filiprb - $10

@Tritnew - $5

@Wegra - $4

NG - $545

Thank you @VonGrimsworth for another ghoulish Halloween site skin.

Thank you @MicroBihon for last year’s art entry that became this year’s banner!

Most of all, thank you to everyone who made something for Halloween this year!

If you’re curious about previous Spooktaculars, here are the 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 winners.

Other News

Secret Santa is open for registration! More info in this thread.

Check out the Best of October!

Robot Day and the Australia Meetup are November 26th.

Peter the Ant Day is December 26th.

Ennuikal is looking for someone to make a game with!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 11:52:58 (edited 2022-11-14 11:53:45)

Halloween 2022 turned out to be very awesome, I really liked it!

Who cares about my work and other fun - I'm here

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 12:00:56

iu_804462_3833664.gif

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 12:04:55

Congrats to the winners you guys are epic

Fredrick piss water the 3rd

my best thread

My channel :)

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 12:16:34

Welp, better luck next time for me i suppose ;w;

Still happy for the chosen winners for this event tho! Especially for Bubblin' and sirenhead. those are my favorite animations. Congrats Everyone!

i should take the time to play the game submissions. i haven't really got the chance to play them on here recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 12:17:34

Eyyy congrats everyone B)

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 12:38:57

While I was reading through the sponsors, I got curious about @CrossEyeTheCat, so I checked their profile out and holy shit is this guy committed to the joke.

I actually laughed at one of the forum posts in the middle of an economics class, that was really embarassing :)

Imagine being french

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 13:32:55

Thank you for the shoutout Tom! Can't wait until next year!

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 14:04:21

So much awesome content this year. Thank you to all the artists whose hard work provides us with endless joy at NG.

Additional shout out to our mate @merol for his stop-motion masterpiece, The 5th Birthday. So happy it's getting the attention it deserves.

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 14:06:44

Glad to see a den for sick moths up there!

I really loved how unique that animation was.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 14:10:50

This Halloween was PACKED I couldnt keep up with everything!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 15:02:27

This is awesome, congratulations to all the winners!!!!! And thanks a lot @Pop-Tart!! Shout out to @Evil-Iron who I did the story with and who also did the voices, and to @VortexVisionz who did the awesome music!!

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 15:07:22

Oh my god!!! Big congrats to everyone who participated its been so much fun scrolling thru the Halloween tag this year! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 15:21:18

At 11/14/22 03:02 PM, Merol wrote: This is awesome, congratulations to all the winners!!!!! And thanks a lot @Pop-Tart!! Shout out to @Evil-Iron who I did the story with and who also did the voices, and to @VortexVisionz who did the awesome music!!

But a huge thanks to you, for the hard work on the stopmotion and all!

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 15:34:39

HOLY SHIIIT!!! I'm so happy, thanks to the judges and congrats to the other winners, also thanks for the kind words @thecooldrawingguy :)))

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 15:50:51

Halloween 2022 was the spookiest October in long time.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 17:03:42

People are good at this tho 😭

Congratulations to people who participated (except me bc I sucked at it :v)

I'm not into collaborating with people around, sorry

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 18:12:01

I'm glad people liked my Halloween entry. I was panicking trying to get it done, as always.

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 18:15:18

At 11/14/22 11:52 AM, VitalikNerd005 wrote: Halloween 2022 turned out to be very awesome, I really liked it!

I totally agree. Such an epic Holiday.

@VitalikNerd005

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-14 20:32:08

Congratulations to everyone! Outstanding creativity and fun entries! 8)

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 00:18:21

At 11/14/22 11:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: Last month was our Halloween Spooktacular, with prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. We enjoyed all your spooky entries and now it’s time to announce the winners!

🏆 Top Six Animation ($300, $200, $100, $50, $50, $50)

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861834

“There isn’t a lot that looks like A Den for Sick Moths on Newgrounds, it is informed from so many places artistically, and even in its tone, it feels very distinct. It’s dramatic, tense, and incredibly fun to look at. The traditional animation and full on embrace of that aesthetic throughout gives this movie its own incredible mood; it’s very unique and different from a lot of the other Halloween works on this site. But, it’s also bursting with a DIY rawness and specificity that makes it so damn cool and exciting to watch.” -thecooldrawingguy

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861443

“I fucking love everything by Gatekid3 so much, there is so much creativity in every short, and the color choices, palettes, and genuine heart and honesty in every project they put out are so inspiring to me. Bubblin’ was incredibly cute, perfectly dark and weird, and made with a level of professionalism and artistry only gatekid could pull off. The work that goes into every motion, action, and design is felt in every frame but it feels so earnest all the same, I love the colors too.” -thecooldrawingguy

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861825

“Incredibly well animated. I liked that they improved many of the original shots and added new ones as well.” -JohnnyUtah

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861560

“The music, animation, voice acting and pacing in Sirenhead all combined to make something really specific and really funny. It’s a great Halloween short with a great energy to it, short and to the point but not too fast and busy, it’s got everything it needs to be silly as fuck and very fun to rewatch. The music is awesome too, and every piece works together to make something really unique and fun!” -thecooldrawingguy

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861608

“The 5th Birthday is fucking great! The animation is shockingly expressive, and the lighting and mood are so funny and yet so eerie, it nails its Halloween vibe, stop motion and the spooky season just mix together perfectly. The humor of this short is so unique, and its pacing is secretly really solid. The changing of the letter has so much suspense as you anxiously watch to see what happens next. Plus, any Newgrounds film that can remind me of Jan Lenica earns a huge amount of respect from me, absolutely one of my favorites and endlessly fun to rewatch.” -thecooldrawingguy

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861271

“Sweet Tooth is super cool. This is definitely an artist I want to see more of, they take from every medium but their work never feels overstimulating. That kind of style lends itself great to striking Halloween imagery, and this artist pushed that all the way. I love the tone, the mediums used, the great music, the warm colors, we need more art that goes to this many places! The music is so great, and combined with the imagery and really cool and exciting mixed media, this is absolutely one of the most Halloween-y things uploaded this year.” -thecooldrawingguy

Thank you @thecooldrawingguy, @IvanAlmighty and @JohnnyUtah for animation judging assistance.

Shout out to @DannyGoodShirt and @BadTwinZ for organizing the Dr. Good's Operating Theatre and Resident Evil 2 Reanimated collabs, respectively!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/860401
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/859531

🏆 Top Six Games ($300, $200, $100, $60, $50, $50)

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861793

“I loved the "bait and switch" premise which had me "hooked" almost immediately. So subversive (submersive?)! It's hard to make an action game easy to pick up and play while still having enough variety to keep things interesting and this game really delivered! Don't throw this one back, it's a keeper!” -BoMToons

“It's amazing how this game just kept delivering and delivering. I anticipated a fishing game with a jumpscare at the end and instead I got way, WAY more than I bargained for. Overwhelmingly fun and engaging.” -Jack

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861899

“Shockingly addicting and mechanically reminiscent of a Game & Watch game. It gets hectic fast but never feels unmanageable. Really fun!” -Jack

“I'll admit that maybe I'm rating this one so highly to make up for the fact that I foolishly rated it so lowly in my initial rankings for the month, but it really did get so much better for me once I played the game on its own terms instead of getting stuck to playing it to the music. This game is just a bloody good arcade game: great graphics, charming horror aesthetic, addictively simple yet fun and juicy gameplay, music is such a bop, tons of enemies which sport a multitude of patterns that deepen the strategy as you progress, and some wonderful bosses that are challenging in both their versions and feel great to knock out of the park! Despite its Tiger Games-esque gameplay, this is head-and-shoulders above those bygone clunkers!” -FuturecopLGF

“I loved the design/story of the main character. The concept was also great and fun for Halloween. Gameplay was engaging, but I wish the attacking enemies had been timed to the spooky music! The difficulty ramped up a bit fast for me, but I enjoyed the ride!” -BoMToons

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/859139

“Quite the spooky trip through the woods in this point and click adventure that feels like it came right out of some spooky Eastern European folklore! I felt like it could've done a bit more to vary up the experience: what little puzzles it did have were very simple, and the rest of the game was a rather straight-forward game of straw millionaire, making obvious trades over and over. But still, I found myself enjoying the process despite its simplicity due to its great spooky atmosphere and well-paced sense of progression, and I was rewarded with the story coming together in the end with one heck of a horrific twist ending!” -FuturecopLGF

“Super consistent style and compelling story with a twist, spooky, ending!” -BoMToons

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861983

“Everything about this game is delightful and it's super easy to get hooked on the loop. It's frantic and feels like you're trying to juggle a million things at once, which is absolutely great for this type of game.” -Jack

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/860397

“Immersive graphics, world, and gameplay. Nice creepy tone and surprising / confusing / philosophical(?) ending.” -BoMToons

“I gotta give it up to this game for being a really fun and well-constructed point-n-click adventure that I could see side-by-side with plenty of other greats. Had all the things I look for: tons of puzzles, items, flavor text, secrets, it's crazy how much was packed in here!” -FuturecopLGF

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/861759

“Reminds me a bit of Undertale with its unique turn-based RPG action games. Good spooky tone with the crow theme being so prominent.” -BoMToons

“Incredibly faithful to the Gameboy style with a really cool Undertale-like combat system.” -Jack

Honorable Mentions

There were several Steam demos this year that were brilliant and fun. Judging leaned towards games that were more on-theme for Halloween but you should play all of these:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/858940
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/859556
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/859318

Thank you @BoMToons, @Stepford, @FuturecopLGF and @Jack for game judging assistance!

Art and Music winners are in the next post below:

Halloween is my absolute favorite time of the year, and I'm glad people made lots of cool stuff for it! I just wish I had the time to make something myself - ah well, NEXT year. <3

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 00:20:57

At 11/14/22 12:16 PM, RavioliBox wrote: Welp, better luck next time for me i suppose ;w;

You can do it next time.

i should take the time to play the game submissions. i haven't really got the chance to play them on here recently.

There were lots of good games. You won't be disappointed.

@RavioliBox

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 00:54:35

all of these cash prizes recently remind me of the old days

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 01:57:18 (edited 2022-11-15 01:57:28)

I cant believe youve been impersonating me before my account was even made! Shame on you

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 06:57:31

At 11/14/22 12:38 PM, X3LL3N wrote: While I was reading through the sponsors, I got curious about @CrossEyeTheCat, so I checked their profile out and holy shit is this guy committed to the joke.

I actually laughed at one of the forum posts in the middle of an economics class, that was really embarassing :)

Glad to hear it. We could all use more laughing around here.

@X3LL3N

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 09:30:42

Great job to all the winners you all did fantastic! I'm just kind of surprised that we didn't at least make the honorable mentions :/ We worked super hard on Soul Harvest!

Zoftle x Athena Nyx - Soul Harvest (newgrounds.com)

Zoftle

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 11:13:58

I'm just glad Den won.

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 12:40:19

WHAT?! HOW DID I NOT WIN ANYTHING! I LITERALLY ENTERED EVERY CATEGORY, EVEN NEWSPOST AND DUMP!!!"!!!!!! RIGGED RECOUNT STOPTHECOUNT!!!!!

Just kidding, contrats to all you lovely people!

Response to Halloween 2022 Winners! 2022-11-15 15:00:06 (edited 2022-11-15 15:00:42)

glad Ferociter's game placed high!!!! was worried it was gonna be slept on haha