00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline)

15,463 Views | 185 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

BACKGROUND

I've had an idea rolling around in my head for over 10 years, of how I could potentially bring back and expand on what I did with my first ever "game" Kill Boe (that was just a selection of buttons) and it's slightly more polished sequel Kill Boe 2 (also just buttons...)

One of my favourite parts of Newgrounds in those days was taking part in collabs. I even hosted a few. But I haven't done anything like that in ages! I'd love to organize an animated collab as a throwback to my old games, and that old collab experience. I first kicked this off for the Flash Forward Jam, but got started a little late. I've now extended the deadline.

THE CONCEPT

• My pitch is to get as many people together as I can to animate ~30 shorts. These will be ~5-30 seconds long each.
  • As a good frame of reference, think of the "Fails" of the Henry Stickmin series. Except there are no options that are "correct". Everything results in a death!
  • The goal is for each death to be unexpected. Going against the obvious, or expected outcome as often as possible.
  • We'll be following Boe around for a day. Starting from waking up, through to coming home again that night. Each part of his day will offer up 3-4 choices. Once the player has seen each death, they'll advance to the next part of the day (I'll draw/animate these transitions).

RULES

1. No nudity or sexual content. I am fine with these deaths being excessive and a little gory. But keep in mind how cartoony and silly the original 2 games were.
  2. Please put your best foot forward. These clips will be short. I will not accept something low effort, unless you made it entertaining enough
  3. You can only stake a "claim" on 1 scene in a game at a time. You can only start on another once your first is completed and submitted (and only if we can't get enough animators). I'd like no individual person to contribute more than 2 scenes.
  4. Follow the specs:

SPECS

• Must be animated in Flash. Any version should be fine
  • Frame size is 1100 x 800 (to stay true to the old default 550 x 400 Flash frame size). PLEASE keep this in mind !!!
  • 24 fps
  • Sound effects are highly encouraged. If you use music, please pick it from the audio portal, and share the link with me.
  • Share your completed scenes (FLA files) in the Dumping grounds for me to download, or in the shared Project folder once I've added you to that
  • Boe must wear a #FE9900 color shirt. A reminder that this was the most complex he ever appeared, in Kill Boe 2:

iu_571080_2083606.png

(I am open to pretty well any other interpretation of the character's design)

DEADLINE

The new, extended deadline is now for May 6th. So there's a little under 2 months

I need time to compile these, polish what I need to, and to tie the various scenes all together - and my plan will be to release the finished game on June 2nd.

SCENES

Here is a list of the 30 different scenes I have in mind. They are grouped into 8 larger categories.

Scene list found here

For instance, the very first is Boe waking up in bed. You then choose if you want to animated him "hitting the snooze", or "getting out of bed".

I will edit this document as they are assigned, and will also use it to keep track of what's been completed.

(Those in red are unclaimed, yellow are spoken for, and green are complete)

SIGNING UP

If you wish to take part, simply reply to this topic WITH a link to something you've animated before. It can be a full animation, a clip from another collab, some WIP thing you're working on. Basically just something to show me your general style, and that you have some basic skills. Kill Boe 1 is an embarrassment, and Kill Boe 2 is fairly minimal. So the bar is rather low.

I look forward to finding some new people to collab with! I've been out of that circle for FAR too long. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 12:01:23

A heads up to everyone who previously signed up, I created a new topic to coincide with a new deadline (May 6th).

It gives everyone extra time to work on their parts if they need it (although the intent is for the parts to be relatively short). But I mainly hope that the extended deadlines helps in our pursuit of having 30 animators!

@MrPakoMan @midgetsausage @Dungeonation @Anonymous-Frog @DMpls @MrDuK @53xy83457 @Demented-Duskull @sodacloud @blambul @NeonDarkroom @Lukeshardo

GAH!

BBS Signature

At 3/9/22 12:01 PM, Noodle wrote: A heads up to everyone who previously signed up, I created a new topic to coincide with a new deadline (May 6th).
It gives everyone extra time to work on their parts if they need it (although the intent is for the parts to be relatively short). But I mainly hope that the extended deadlines helps in our pursuit of having 30 animators!

@MrPakoMan @midgetsausage @Dungeonation @Anonymous-Frog @DMpls @MrDuK @53xy83457 @Demented-Duskull @sodacloud @blambul @NeonDarkroom @Lukeshardo

OH MY GOD thank you for extending the deadline im shit with time management and i need a bit of time to brainstorm how many references i can cram into about 30 seconds of animation i 100% wouldnt have been able to make the previous deadline

bitch i can make orange rhyme with banana

borrrrnana

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 13:45:27

Thanks so much for extending the deadline! This month's been really busy for me and now this gives me so much more time to work on it

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 16:28:46

Nice, with the new deadline I'll probably help but I have some questions:

1) I want this to be my first touch with flash animation How can I enter without having anything I worked before in animation?

2) If I have to show a wip to be accepted What do I have to show? The frames I'm working on?

4) If I have to show the final animation to be accepted What happens if someone tooks the one I was doing and have 90% of it?

3) Are backgrounds neccessary? Or it has to look like the originals?

I make art, check this cat

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 16:55:05

Glad to hear the deadline extension has already been well received!

At 3/9/22 04:28 PM, Phaox05 wrote: Nice, with the new deadline I'll probably help but I have some questions:
1) I want this to be my first touch with flash animation How can I enter without having anything I worked before in animation?
2) If I have to show a wip to be accepted What do I have to show? The frames I'm working on?
4) If I have to show the final animation to be accepted What happens if someone tooks the one I was doing and have 90% of it?

I'll sort of compress these questions for an easier response.

I will need to see *something* animated. There is a lot of leeway there. Odds are, this collab will not be fully filled in the next week or two. I recommend opening Flash, practicing a few basics, and whip up something super simple to show off. Focus on showing off some movement/action. It can be far from perfect!

If you really want, you can make a part for an available spot in this collab. I won't hold a spot for you. But if the end result is good enough, then I'd be able to easily add you in.

Feel free to share a WIP here as soon as you have something, and I can either give some advice, or lock the spot in for you if it's coming together well.

Darnit! I meant to add that in the updated post. It is up to the artist if they want to leave it blank like the original, or something sketch-like (as if it belonged in a animatic), or a fully drawn background. Whatever you like!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 19:12:27

At 3/9/22 12:01 PM, Noodle wrote: A heads up to everyone who previously signed up, I created a new topic to coincide with a new deadline (May 6th).

Love the new deadline! Even though I was on route to finishing by the previous date, I can now have the confidence to further polish my segment later on without having to worry about any of the other projects that I have to work on.

Welp

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-09 20:11:59

At 3/9/22 04:55 PM, Noodle wrote: Glad to hear the deadline extension has already been well received!

At 3/9/22 04:28 PM, Phaox05 wrote: Nice, with the new deadline I'll probably help but I have some questions:
I'll sort of compress these questions for an easier response.
I will need to see *something* animated. There is a lot of leeway there. Odds are, this collab will not be fully filled in the next week or two. I recommend opening Flash, practicing a few basics, and whip up something super simple to show off. Focus on showing off some movement/action. It can be far from perfect!

If you really want, you can make a part for an available spot in this collab. I won't hold a spot for you. But if the end result is good enough, then I'd be able to easily add you in.
Feel free to share a WIP here as soon as you have something, and I can either give some advice, or lock the spot in for you if it's coming together well.

Darnit! I meant to add that in the updated post. It is up to the artist if they want to leave it blank like the original, or something sketch-like (as if it belonged in a animatic), or a fully drawn background. Whatever you like!

Ok I understand everything, thanks that I'm on vacations I'll try on practising and working for the "brush your teeth" part, I have a good idea with an orange juice (Boe will die of course)

I make art, check this cat

BBS Signature

hi just editing this cause i totally misread the post and i dont know how to delete this comment

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-11 03:02:15

i thought id try this out

if you need me to show something more action packed i can

https://youtu.be/WEYbBN32Q08

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-11 11:47:20

At 3/11/22 03:02 AM, klonkorbonk wrote: i thought id try this out

if you need me to show something more action packed i can

https://youtu.be/WEYbBN32Q08

I'd encourage you to push it further for a final submission. Maybe a little more bounce/squash/stretch. But I can appreciate that this was a very quick demo. You still showed some decent pacing and a silly payoff.

So I believe I could offer a part, as long as you can animate it in Flash. Based on sharing a youtube link, I thought I'd better confirm that was an option for you?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-11 18:01:19

yes ofcourse this was animated in flash, i just have no idea what im doing, i will make a better animation dont you worry!

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-11 19:14:44

At 3/11/22 06:01 PM, klonkorbonk wrote: yes ofcourse this was animated in flash, i just have no idea what im doing, i will make a better animation dont you worry!

I'd say welcome aboard then! All that's left is to pick the available part you'd like :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-11 19:54:11

alright cool! thanks for this opportunity, can i do pet the dog?

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-12 14:17:58

At 3/11/22 07:54 PM, klonkorbonk wrote: alright cool! thanks for this opportunity, can i do pet the dog?

Sounds good! Added

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-18 01:23:04

Currently, about half the spots are filled, and half of those are now completed!

That's still plenty of time to join in, and we'd be happy to have more applicants :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-18 02:20:12

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

(i suck af flash but whatever lets do this)

Gimme teh shower scene

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-18 12:22:40

At 3/18/22 02:20 AM, ButtChamber wrote: PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/813403

Gimme teh shower scene

As much as I love your username, I would have to see a little more actual animating first. Do you have some other examples of your work?

GAH!

BBS Signature

At 3/18/22 12:22 PM, Noodle wrote:

Gimme teh shower scene
As much as I love your username, I would have to see a little more actual animating first. Do you have some other examples of your work?

Theres animation at teh edn.

Other than that, I hadn't published anything else animation-wise, but I suppose Boe ain't too hard to droe.

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-20 01:31:47

At 3/19/22 01:39 AM, ButtChamber wrote:
At 3/18/22 12:22 PM, Noodle wrote:

Gimme teh shower scene
Theres animation at teh edn.

Other than that, I hadn't published anything else animation-wise, but I suppose Boe ain't too hard to droe.

I also animated my beloved Pike

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-25 01:29:31

At 3/20/22 01:31 AM, ButtChamber wrote:
At 3/19/22 01:39 AM, ButtChamber wrote: Theres animation at teh edn.

The bit at the end of your first thing shows me a bit better what you can do. It's hard to gauge much off the tweening in the second one. I appreciate that you seem motivated to take part though :)

I only ask that you try to push the animating. Your green dude at the end there had some decent frame-by-framing! More of that quality, and I think you'd be at home in this collab for sure. I'd love to see you expand on that, if you're up for that?

I don't require you to "take it seriously". It's up to you if you want to make your submission a personal gag. You know? Something meant to make yourself laugh more than anyone else! That's absolutely the spirit of the original "game". Just as long as there's a bit of animating showed off. Cool?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-25 01:36:02

At 3/25/22 01:29 AM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/20/22 01:31 AM, ButtChamber wrote:
At 3/19/22 01:39 AM, ButtChamber wrote: Theres animation at teh edn.

The bit at the end of your first thing shows me a bit better what you can do. It's hard to gauge much off the tweening in the second one. I appreciate that you seem motivated to take part though :)

I only ask that you try to push the animating. Your green dude at the end there had some decent frame-by-framing! More of that quality, and I think you'd be at home in this collab for sure. I'd love to see you expand on that, if you're up for that?

I don't require you to "take it seriously". It's up to you if you want to make your submission a personal gag. You know? Something meant to make yourself laugh more than anyone else! That's absolutely the spirit of the original "game". Just as long as there's a bit of animating showed off. Cool?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Yes I'm up.

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-25 01:37:29

At 3/25/22 01:36 AM, ButtChamber wrote: PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
Yes I'm up.

Cool! Which part would you like the take?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-25 01:38:39

At 3/25/22 01:37 AM, Noodle wrote:
At 3/25/22 01:36 AM, ButtChamber wrote: PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
Yes I'm up.
Cool! Which part would you like the take?

Teh shower scene.

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-03-29 12:09:07

At 3/25/22 01:38 AM, ButtChamber wrote: Teh shower scene.

My apologies, I was away for the weekend. But yes, I'd say that'd be pretty fitting for someone named ButtChamber. Have at it!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-04-01 22:47:34

At 3/9/22 11:58 AM, Noodle wrote: BACKGROUND
I've had an idea rolling around in my head for over 10 years, of how I could potentially bring back and expand on what I did with my first ever "game" Kill Boe (that was just a selection of buttons) and it's slightly more polished sequel Kill Boe 2 (also just buttons...)
One of my favourite parts of Newgrounds in those days was taking part in collabs. I even hosted a few. But I haven't done anything like that in ages! I'd love to organize an animated collab as a throwback to my old games, and that old collab experience. I first kicked this off for the Flash Forward Jam, but got started a little late. I've now extended the deadline.

THE CONCEPT

RULES

SPECS

(I am open to pretty well any other interpretation of the character's design)

DEADLINE
The new, extended deadline is now for May 6th. So there's a little under 2 months
I need time to compile these, polish what I need to, and to tie the various scenes all together - and my plan will be to release the finished game on June 2nd.

SCENES
Here is a list of the 30 different scenes I have in mind. They are grouped into 8 larger categories.
Scene list found here
For instance, the very first is Boe waking up in bed. You then choose if you want to animated him "hitting the snooze", or "getting out of bed".
I will edit this document as they are assigned, and will also use it to keep track of what's been completed.
(Those in red are unclaimed, yellow are spoken for, and green are complete)

SIGNING UP
If you wish to take part, simply reply to this topic WITH a link to something you've animated before. It can be a full animation, a clip from another collab, some WIP thing you're working on. Basically just something to show me your general style, and that you have some basic skills. Kill Boe 1 is an embarrassment, and Kill Boe 2 is fairly minimal. So the bar is rather low.

I look forward to finding some new people to collab with! I've been out of that circle for FAR too long. Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers!

looks like fun, I would like to claim the "walk" option. My idea being Boe narrowly missing elaborate death contraptions while just walking normally, (like the war machine sequence from the thief and the cobbler), then dying to something really mundane

movies I've made include Scrabble Strike Nautical, Killstreak, and this thing

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-04-03 01:24:16

At 4/1/22 10:47 PM, MetalSlayer69 wrote: looks like fun, I would like to claim the "walk" option. My idea being Boe narrowly missing elaborate death contraptions while just walking normally, (like the war machine sequence from the thief and the cobbler), then dying to something really mundane

movies I've made include Scrabble Strike Nautical, Killstreak, and this thing

I think that's a fantastic gag! I'm excited to see how you pace that out, and what whacky ideas you'll through in there!

Ps. It was really fun seeing all the ways you've been experimenting and challenging yourself in those examples. Keep it up :D

At 4/2/22 08:57 PM, MacromediaGuy wrote: can do, ive come up with an idea for a death. "Going Outside". is Adobe Animate good or should i go for flash 8.

Animate would be fine.

But sorry, I'll still need to see some examples of your animating first.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-04-04 01:49:52

This sounds really cool!

Here's some links to my work and stuff:

70 alternative accounts animation

FNF Sunky mod (Remastered)

Facial expressions test

Hope I can join :)

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-04-04 19:12:52

At 4/4/22 01:49 AM, TWATurner wrote: This sounds really cool!

Here's some links to my work and stuff:

70 alternative accounts animation
FNF Sunky mod (Remastered)
Facial expressions test

Hope I can join :)

Very expressive animations. Both in the face, and physical actions of the character! Both of which I imagine would serve you well in this collab. Welcome aboard! Please, let me know which part you'd most like :)

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Kill Boe Collab (Extended deadline) 2022-04-05 14:44:13

Wish i could do this.