00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My problem with the C++ libraries/headers/streams

1,277 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Okay, I start:

Most of the people who use or used C++ know that there are libraries / headers / streams with useful functions at the time of delevop a program, and the most interested know that there is a TON of code behind that #include <iostream>

or in that #include <stdio.h> (and you probably don't understand any of that code), but that's not my point.

My point is that there are so many headers with many functions to the point that nobody knows a good amount of them, not even GNU, although the latter do have some guidelines for the headers (like this) although you will hardly learn 1% of all the functions of all libstdc++ libraries (if you read the 10,000 pages of the manual, which are aesthetically not very flashy)

And well, that's my point, nobody knows the exaggerated amount of libraries and functions that C++ can offer, and although sometimes it is good to do things by yourself, I do not think that someone wants to break their back by doing functions that you already have available but you don't know they exist.

What do you think about this?

Is it useful to have so many libraries if nobody knows how to use them?

Response to My problem with the C++ libraries/headers/streams 2021-12-04 22:05:20

Knowing that many libraries exist is good enough for most people. You can do a quick search to see if there's anything that you could use before writing your own code to accomplish a task. It would be silly to suggest that you need to have thousands of libraries and their functions memorized in order to be a good C++ programmer.

Response to My problem with the C++ libraries/headers/streams 2021-12-05 04:26:13

This isn't unique to C++. Literally every popular programming language has had a LOT of libraries that are hidden gems because discoverability is an issue everywhere. Also, there's no harm in reinventing the wheel regardless of whether it's done by someone else and is popular or not, because while effort might be duplicated, there's multiple ways to handle it and likely advantages and disadvantages to each approach. UI libraries come to mind because each of them handles things a different way, and not all of them work for everyone.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to My problem with the C++ libraries/headers/streams 2021-12-07 05:08:08

At 12/3/21 09:30 PM, Omni-RHX wrote: Is it useful to have so many libraries if nobody knows how to use them?

No? Obviously not? Good thing lots of people do indeed know how to use them. But yeah if no one knew, then they'd be useless.

Don't include ridiculous false propositions in your questions. It's disingenuous.

C++ is horrible to use, not because of its numerous libraries. It's a horrible language because it's bloated and unpredictable. It's horrible because C and C# exist. Between the two of them, your bases are covered. C++ is a nasty hybrid. It's the only language I consider myself a true expert in. I've written compilers for it and operating systems in it. I made a 3d graphics engine from scratch (no sfml/etc.) in it. I've written countless detailed blog posts and two poorly selling but well reviewed books on it. I hate it and have for more than half of my life.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))