00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Modnar78 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Prince of Landis Art Contest

33,406 Views | 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-24 11:17:52

iu_480090_8102871.webp

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-25 16:06:17

At 11/24/21 06:14 AM, Destraight45 wrote: can you even buy a hotdog?

Like street meat?

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-25 17:16:09

It takes place in Oregon!

At 11/24/21 07:34 PM, YoiUn wrote: I have a question, is there a specific location you have in mind for this game? I was thinking either Canada or somewhere where it’s cold in the U.S (this is specifically for my art piece). Thanks in advance!

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-26 16:41:31

Grats Hyptosis! Excited to see this on the front-page! I just beat the game on my Switch! It's neat to see what decisions people/players make and what endings they get. <:

Highly recommend, especially since Hyptosis is an OG Newgrounds artist who's been working on this game like mad for a long time! GO SUPPORT A FELLOW NEWGROUNDER, FOLKS! :D

At 11/19/21 08:56 AM, Hyptosis wrote:
A small-town boy learns from a nihilistic alien how to stand up for himself.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708970/The_Prince_of_Landis/

Art Contest Rules!

PRIZES

All paid by Paypal

AVAILABLE NOW!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708970/The_Prince_of_Landis/
From one of the creators of Alice is Dead comes The Prince of Landis, a new casual adventure game (available for PC and all major consoles) in which a small-town boy learns from a nihilistic alien how to stand up for himself. Published by Ratalaika Games S.L. with music by NG’s awesome musician ThatJohnnyGuy and trailer narration by NG’s own renowned voice actor Joshua Tomar!

Set in 1991 in the bleak backwater of Landis, this sci-fi puzzle game tackles bullying, child abuse and neglect, and surviving such in an impoverished community. Based on true and actual events and places. Except with an alien. It features multiple ways to ‘win’ and multiple endings as well.

Hyptosis: The game is graphic with a few short scenes of blood and violence. There is a LOT of tasteless and colorful hillbilly language as well. The game is 90% based on my own childhood growing up in a very small town in the mountains with an injection of 80s-themed scifi for fun.

I have always loved those kid-and-alien stories/movies set in a small town. Landis takes that in a new--and unexpected--direction by subverting the expectation that the alien is simply a misunderstood, friendly guy. He isn’t that at all.

I wanted from the beginning for The Guest to try to convince the player that it's okay to be hard--that the game is rigged, and if you have to play, you too might as well cheat like everyone else.

I’m hoping that the sales from Prince of Landis will fund the
HD remake of Alice is Dead and a possible AiD 4 in the future!!

Evan - Evan is just a punctuation on his father’s sentence. And yet, Evan is a survivor. He’s trying to grow up in a backwater town, neglected and abused by people he should be able to count on.

The Guest - A creature who, like Evan, has learned to survive in an uncaring universe. He relates to Evan on some level, and likewise Evan does to him.

BBS Signature

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-26 18:57:20

this will look cool hehehe

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-27 16:09:30

At 11/26/21 04:41 PM, Sabtastic wrote: Grats Hyptosis! Excited to see this on the front-page! I just beat the game on my Switch! It's neat to see what decisions people/players make and what endings they get. <:

Thank you for your support over the years, it means a lot to me! NG is full of so many awesome people.

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-11-27 16:12:08

At 11/19/21 09:02 AM, Hyptosis wrote: If anyone has any questions, etc, I'll be monitoring closely and be happy to answer or chat about the game! Thanks for looking guys!

iu_482515_8016576.png

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-01 09:44:05

Great entries, thanks folks! Everyone still has until the 8th to submit. The 5th is my birthday! Woot! Take care everyone!

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-03 08:21:31

iu_487058_8288891.gif

Here's mine!

Let's go

BBS Signature

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-05 18:27:24

here's my piece of rubbish

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-05 19:50:45

Here's another one 😎 Hat pals

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-06 07:40:19

Awesome work guys!! Loving it! I spent so much time drawing The Guest it's great to see him in other styles!

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-06 10:20:58

I forgot to post it here, but here's my entry for the art contest :D. <I hope you like it!

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓸𝓯 𝓟𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷

BBS Signature

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-07 17:36:42

good luck xD

BBS Signature

I feel like I could have kept working on this drawing forever :P

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-07 20:30:49

Great works guys! This is so fun to us! I'll be closing this thread tomorrow and then gather the team to vote! Thank you all so much, it's been fun vicarious enjoyment haha.

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-07 22:22:19

At 11/19/21 12:05 PM, MindChamber wrote: nice job man, this game looks pretty nuts!

you in ng rumble

Just is the furry

BBS Signature

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-08 15:46:58

I was so excited to see a new game AND an art contest from Hyptosis at the end of this year! Here's my entry :)

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-08 16:39:00

made a mandala

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-08 20:33:43

Great stuff everyone! such a wide variety of styles. Going to be voting tonight and tomorrow! (some of my team is asleep right now)

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-08 20:45:16

Here's my entry too!

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-09 02:01:49

I hope it's not too late to submit! Thank you for the awesome contest!

Here's my art -

Here's the thumbnailiu_492534_8870102.webp

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2021-12-10 02:01:05

The team and I talked for a long time about our favorites and took a vote. Some had amazing ideas, some were rendered super well, it's always so hard to pick. I've personally entered many many contests over the years and know how this goes. I can say we had a lot of ties and debated for a while before settling on how to break those ties.

First Place - https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/microbihon/a-cold-world-and-an-unlikely-ally

We felt like it was rendered well, clean, and also conveyed the message of the game. It checked all of the boxes.

Second Place - https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/frogkuronumaart/learning-exploitation

Very much catches the essence of The Guest, even the font feels like it's really his 'words' and everyone on the team loved it.

Third Place - https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/harryych/the-prince-of-landis-fanart

A challenging perspective but possibly the most accurate image, Evan’s clothing is spot on and it almost to me feels like the cover of a Landis comic or Young Adult book.

I will be contacting the fourth and fifth place winners via PM because there were some ties so I'm going to give game keys to them all.

I'm going to go and comment on each one and convey our thoughts and appreciation for all of the entries. This was a lot of fun for us, thank you all so much. And thanks to Newgrounds for hosting this for us, I really appreciate the help and support guys! Newgrounds my forever homepage :P

This wasn't easy at all, everyone did such great work. Thank you all.

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2022-12-07 14:15:05

Hi! I just want to say that I really like your game, idea and characters!

Unfortunately, I saw your contest only yesterday, in other post, so I could not take a part. It's strange that your contest deadline is not showed in a front page, like the other contests. But I'm new to this site, so maybe I don't know about rules of the calendar panel... Still wanted to say that it looks intresting and cool! ^^

Response to Prince of Landis Art Contest 2022-12-12 16:51:51

Thank you for your kind words! Keep on creating things and have fun!!

At 12/7/22 02:15 PM, Ashdei wrote: Hi! I just want to say that I really like your game, idea and characters!
Unfortunately, I saw your contest only yesterday, in other post, so I could not take a part. It's strange that your contest deadline is not showed in a front page, like the other contests. But I'm new to this site, so maybe I don't know about rules of the calendar panel... Still wanted to say that it looks intresting and cool! ^^