Tanksmas Adventure 2021! 2021-11-10 22:23:54
Heyo! It's that time of year again for people across the site to hop in and create one of the biggest holiday traditions. That's right,
IT'S TANKSMAS ADVENTURE 2021!
...wait, what's that?
Tanksmas ADVENTure, previously known as the Christmas ADVENTure, is a gift created by Newgrounders, for Newgrounders. People from all across the site and in all areas come together to create gifts and celebrate the holidays with things that others have created, including art, animations, music and games. In the past couple of years I worked with @GeoKureli and @BrandyBuizel at the helm, and the calendars created were some of the best. This year, things'll be in my hands to allow for the both of them to rest and focus on other things. Because of that, we'll need a few extra people on board, and speaking of which...
Who do you need?
There's quite a few people needed to make this calendar work, so I'll go through what's needed:
- Artists - Every gift for every day includes at least one brand new piece of artwork, and my intention is to keep that going for all 31 days of December and New Year's Day similar to last year. On top of this, I'm also looking for pixel artists to create some new sprites for the calendar. We'll be carrying over some sprites from the previous years, but we'll be giving a fresh coat of paint for new characters and a new setting to enter the picture.
- Coders - Because the advent calendar is open source, we don't have to start from the ground up, which is definitely a bonus (thanks Geo!). We do have a coder to prepare the code for the new calendar; however, my hope is to go as big as last year and include some ideas that didn't see the light of day previously. While I am ideally looking for two additional coders to lighten the workload, if one coder can come on and help that would be huge. NOTE: You must be familiar with the game's coding language, HaxeFlixel. It's the same language used to run many other games here on Newgrounds!
- Musicians - We'll be continuing background holiday music for this year's calendar, and we might also include an additional theme for special rooms if it can work. Any genre of music is accepted as long as it's holiday music, and of course, the more the merrier!
- Animators - I want to see if we can pull off small animations in the calendar that's in a similar style as the Grinch and Butzbo's Music Box content in last year's calendar. Of course, there's no mandatory style to heed to, as long as it's in a holiday theme!
- Writers - We want to include a couple of writers for a couple of storybooks such as Night Before Tanksmas, which was a huge success last year.
- Small Game Development/Animation Teams - Similar to last year, I'm open to include holiday-themed minigames and animations in their own sections of the map. If you have a team already assembled, feel free to offer up something from the team! If you're someone who doesn't have a team and is looking to create something with one, you can definitely join and talk to people working on the calendar.
So what are the rules?
There's only two that I can think of other than being a Newgrounder: we're not doing hardcore NSFW work (in other words, anything rated above T) because the game will be rated E (as in not for your kinky grandma), and it has to be holiday-themed in some way or related to this past year!
What other things should I know?
- There's no specific deadline to apply for most of the items, but please keep in mind that if you want your items in the game earlier you need to apply ASAP to allow time for you to make it.
- We will be accepting quite a few people, but not everyone will get in. Because of this, PLEASE DON'T START MAKING THINGS FOR THE CALENDAR UNTIL YOU ARE CONFIRMED IN! You'll get a DM from me if you're in the Calendar team.
- To apply, simply let me know what you want to do and post an example or two of your work.
- You can make more than one item if you wish (i.e. more than one song, more than one animation) but I do want to make sure that everyone who gets into the team has at least one item to show.
- If you have any ideas that you wanna see implemented into the calendar, feel free to put em here too!
- ye I mean have fun of course!
The calendar will go live to everyone starting on December 1, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!