00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hey! I'm here waving a knife at you because we need your help! Our goal is for NG to be ad-free for everyone and we can't do it without you!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros

770 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 12:08:36

Sora is the last character to be added in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. What are your thoughts on this?

Do you like Sora, or do you think there was somebody more deserving?

Does the lack of Disney crossovers hinder it for you?

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 12:32:34

I haven't played kingdom hearts so he's just another swordie to me.

I really don't like how is down b is a counter just like everyone else.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 12:35:31

At 10/5/21 12:08 PM, ProsciuttoMan wrote: Sora is the last character to be added in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. What are your thoughts on this?

Kingdom Hearts always looked super corny to me so not into the character himself at all. However, I was reminded of Sora from SSF2. SSF2 Sora, at least the last time I played SSF2 which was years ago, was pretty damn fun. His gameplay looks interesting so I'm just hoping he'll be fun to play. Being fun to play is half the battle for me when it comes to characters

El Super Mario acaba de comer un hongo ancho.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 12:56:47

I'm quite glad that Sora's in Smash! I have very minimal knowledge of the series (I only played Chain of Memories for GBA), but I'm glad to see him in (also as a win for Newgrounds because of Smash Flash 2). I don't mind that Disney characters can't be in Smash, mainly probably because of copyright, but kinda glad they aren't in because I know people will complain and say stuff like "Where's Goku?! If Donald and Goofy are in, then where's Goku?!" since they are not from a video game.๏ปฟ

Just a nerd and a Kirby.

Hope you have a good day! <3

(Kirby says hi!)

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 14:48:23

Still better tham Min Min...

I exist

I guess

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 17:20:01

At 10/5/21 12:08 PM, ProsciuttoMan wrote: Sora is the last character to be added in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. What are your thoughts on this?

DUDE THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED EVER

JUST LOOK AT HIM

iu_437877_9486131.webp

iu_437878_9486131.webp

IM GOING TO DIE RIGHT NOW

poo poo pee pee lmao lol AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-05 19:10:16

Sora definitely isn't Disney for me, he's pretty much a Square-Enix rep.

Kingdom Hearts is the video game equivalent of Star Wars in terms of IPs I really don't care about with rabid fanbases I can't relate to at all. There's nothing wrong with it, I just have zero investment/interest in it.

The fact it's another anime sword boy who counters with down-b is just a joke at this point. (Let Sakurai free and allow him to make the sword-fighting game he desperately wants to Nintendo.)

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-06 03:03:54

I don't really play Smash, but I know he was heavily requested for years so it's nice they included him. I half expected Sakurai to troll everyone and add another Fire Emblem character.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-06 07:16:34

Personally didn't want him but I'm happy for the people who wanted him. He's just lame without Donald and Goofy

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-06 08:01:37

pretty boring character compared to DLCs like steve, sephiroth, banjo, min min that have certain depths to them and are hard to master. he belongs to the troop of animoo fighters that you have lying around but never use (roy, marth, robin, lucina, byleth etc.) and his moves are basically identical to those characters.

i dont know anything about kingdom hearts, so that's me judging him based on what he's like in the game. he's cloud but small and with clown shoes on.

damn i really need a sig...

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-06 08:38:17

Pretty impressive considering how many legal hoops Sakurai must have leaped through to get him in.

Still though, I really prefer we had gotten someone that didn't already crossover with the other Square Enix reps.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-06 10:07:59

At 10/6/21 08:38 AM, Pokemonpoeguygcn wrote: Pretty impressive considering how many legal hoops Sakurai must have leaped through to get him in.

Still though, I really prefer we had gotten someone that didn't already crossover with the other Square Enix reps.

I would have settled for it just not being a Main Protag/Sword-fighter. One of my dream picks would be Vivi, but as much as he's a fan-favorite, he's not a "headliner" that'll push dlc sales.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-07 01:00:31

I wasn't personally invested in the last spot, but this one made a lot of people really happy, so I'm happy with it.

Also, while he's technically another sword user, he doesn't look like he'll actually play like a swordie (aside from that down b; I probably would have preferred something other than another counter.) He seems much more combo based and mobile.

My only worry is that Up B and Side B will let him carry people off the top easily like smash 4 Bayo, but we don't know if that's true until we get our hands on him. I'd be fine with him being high tier, just not broken. Don't want him to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-07 07:58:15

Sora was a character I had been wanting for a good while, but shrugged off as being unlikely, due to the legal issues that surrounded him. To see that he is the final fighter is honestly crazy, and pretty fitting, if you ask me. To get him in must have not been cheap, or easy, so to have such an out of reach character in the final spot, is like an achievement for the Smash team, since they did something that was thought to be impossible.

In terms of how others are feeling about it, I do understand why some are a bit iffy on his inclusion. For nonfans, his inclusion might come off as a waste of a slot, and to those people, I am sorry you feel that way. I feel in many ways, he is very deserving of the spot, but I do feel that if it was someone like Master Chief, the general reaction might have been greater. Though in terms of getting him in, he would have been way easier, so Chief would have probably been less of an achievement, in that regard, since there would be less legal trouble.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-07 09:21:22

Steve was the best DLC in my opinion

I am based

BBS Signature

At 10/6/21 03:03 AM, HauntedBean wrote: I don't really play Smash, but I know he was heavily requested for years so it's nice they included him. I half expected Sakurai to troll everyone and add another Fire Emblem character.

I remember when I was a kid, I hid in the bathroom at school to watch the last fighter for smash 4, and it was Corrin.

It didnโ€™t get as much backlash as Byleth had, but I do remember hella people were disappointed. At least Sora isnโ€™t a disappointment for everybody lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-07 16:53:38

Hmmm i never played KH before, but Sora looks like a fun character to play with as a SSBU fighter!! ^v^

I have seen some people saying Waluigi should have been choosen as the last fighter. I don't know, he could have been also a cool character

I wish i had seen Donald Duck and Goofy :(((

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-07 20:09:16

I'd prefer doom slayer instead of a key didney worl character to get the pick. If they made his down b have an attribute like stun the player's character for like 3 seconds then his down b would be far more useful

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-08 08:45:18

im happy for all the KE players, but honestly for me it's dissapointing and idrc tbh. what makes it sad is that my boi walugi didn't get in :(

-๐“ž๐“ถ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“‘๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ณ๐“ฒ

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-08 14:08:16

I think Banjo and Sora are the only cases where the most hardcore fans were being served what they wanted. Steve being the actualy most iconic character to get in (even though I haven't even played minecraft at all).

Most other DLC characters were kinda odd choices, though I think Terry was a cool underdog supprise. Him still being the icon of his own series, but more obscure than the rest nonetheless.

All in all, I wouldn't have picked Sora myself (would've rather picked Donald in his KH outfit, but whatevah). But he looks like a far more interresting swordfighter than that whole edgelordy Fire Emblem J-pop band combined.

There was only one big letdown from Sora, that was his reveal trailer. Sure, it's packed with a lot of poetic-jibberish-symbolism (fitting for a character from a game with an insanely convoluted storyline). It also looked all 'Final Fantasy cutscene pretty' that was nice too. But man, was that reveal trailer BORING AS FUUUUUUCK. Pretty much every DLC character had some cool action-packed or funny video made for them. But Sora just calmy floats out of his keyhole, with some fabulous glitter blowing out of his bumhole, catches his keyblade and says letsgo, then shakes Mario's hand like big polliticians do at some press converrence.

Like, that's it!? That is the big reveal trailer for the final character? At least the character looked well develloped in his gameplay footage, wich is the most important part anyway.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-08 20:31:28

I think he would have been fine as one of the middle releases, but as the closer for all SSBU DLC ever, it's kinda out with a whimper. He should have had Byleth's spot, is what I'm saying.

I'm just sad that his final smash isn't Goofy describing the plot of Kingdom Hearts until all your opponents jump off the edge just to make it stop.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-08 21:34:47

I feel like more of a shock character should have been added don't get me wrong I LOVE sora but he wasn't suprising because of all of the obvious theories.

Do you like Sora, or do you think there was somebody more deserving? OF course, I love sora, to say someone more deserving would be weird.

no.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-09 18:17:32

Not actually my most wanted character since that goes to Crash, Reimu, or other characters out there, but I must prefer it over Waluigi or Fortnite. And I don't really care what the smash fan base said (it's really toxic anyway), It's such a great way to end off Smash Ultimate with Sakurai taking a break from the work it put into.

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-09 20:42:56

I think it's fine, There's a lot of fans that wanted Sora to be in the game for a REALLY long time, so I'm happy for them.

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-09 21:04:41

If I can't be able to summon Disney characters in the game, then he is a wasted slot.

Seriously, I want to have Scrooge McDuck drop from the sky and stomp on Pikachu with his pogo dick of a cane

No Creative Quotes. Here's a bunch of links. DeviantArt | Twitter | Instagram

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-09 21:54:37

I am not interested because I was never really into Kingdom Hearts, but I am not salty about Sora in Smash

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-09 22:02:12

it was interesting

I'm a gamer/vlogger/animator

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-10 00:36:34

It's kinda mixed for me if I'm being honest. On one hand, I never played Kingdom Hearts but from what I know, I don't like it and I don't like Sora as a character all that much. But on the other hand, I like his skins, I like Kingdom Hearts music, and I like the stage. Also, I think the lack of Disney content made the whole thing a lot more enjoyable, for me at least. Do I think there were better alternatives for the final character? Sure, but Sora was the most requested so I'd say he deserves the spot.

:^)

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on Sora in Smash Bros 2021-10-10 00:50:17

sora and doomguy should've been the other way around ngl

but i'm fine with the way it is

get the milk and property

BBS Signature