00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Where did politics go wrong?

606 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 19:18:52

Where on earth did politics go wrong?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

I think the problem is we are not well adapted to communicate and co-operate in large complicated societies.

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 20:59:24

The internet.

fug kew I'm not making a signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 23:20:57

At 9/7/21 07:18 PM, Wegra wrote: Where on earth did politics go wrong?

When misinformation became profitable.

Wabi-Sabi

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 23:21:27

At 9/7/21 08:59 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: The internet.

But the internet with all it's meme magic and freedom from domination by the MSM is a MAJOR player in why Donald Trump was elected!

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 23:23:29

so where not when? Probably in a garden somewhere in the middle east, where a nudist couple ate an apple because "don't tread on me"

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-07 23:25:55

At 9/7/21 11:21 PM, S3C wrote:
But the internet with all it's meme magic and freedom from domination by the MSM is a MAJOR player in why Donald Trump was elected!

“Ridicule is man’s most powerful weapon.” -Saul Alinksy

The most important takeaway from that entire affair is that there is no political divide. The dichotomy on where a person stands with public policy debates is simple: humorous versus humorless.

And memes help us discern that dividing line. If somebody can’t meme, dislikes memes, or are otherwise joyless scolds, we don’t have to hazard a guess how they feel about drag queen story hour at their local library.

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 06:49:21

The colonies, 1776.

iu_412467_2278460.jpg

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 07:36:24

At 9/7/21 11:25 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:

: The most important takeaway from that entire affair is that there is no political divide.

You can't be serious.

At 9/7/21 11:25 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 9/7/21 11:21 PM, S3C wrote:
“Ridicule is man’s most powerful weapon.” -Saul Alinksy

The most important takeaway from that entire affair is that there is no political divide. The dichotomy on where a person stands with public policy debates is simple: humorous versus humorless.

I don’t wish to resort to a reductio ad mortem argument (partly because I don’t know if that’s the phrase to use), but I don’t see how circumstances that led to the deaths of several people in Washington DC in January 2021 boils down to:

”It’s just a joke”.

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 09:19:32

At 9/7/21 11:25 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: The most important takeaway from that entire affair is that there is no political divide. The dichotomy on where a person stands with public policy debates is simple: humorous versus humorless.

The Don has proven time and time again he belongs in the "humourless" category.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

With 24 hour news making life difficult for politicians to be anything more than constantly partisan signaling to their base they fear, and if they aren't party purity enough they get replaced by even more extreme candidates.

Then you have the more extreme, or the desperate, trying to scare you into voting for them because of some culture war, or promoted slight against your group.

And with all this alienating many and leading to disinterest in a lot of people to participate in our democracy, feeling no candidate represent them and their interests, it allows many states to go all out on gerrymandering their districts, and making it harder to vote in their states, all to secure their party's power...

There are a lot of reason why politics have gone wrong.

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 13:59:10

You act like politics is a brand spankin' new thing and has always been sunshine and rainbows.

Politics has been with us forever. Its name was coined from Aristotle's Politiká as early as 4AD.

Its always been a turbulent endeavor.

Check out the game i'm working on

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 17:23:43

At 9/8/21 01:59 PM, Tyler wrote: Politics has been with us forever. Its name was coined from Aristotle's Politiká as early as 4AD.

It was Plato's Politeia and closer to 400 BC.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 18:44:47

At 9/8/21 05:23 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 9/8/21 01:59 PM, Tyler wrote: Politics has been with us forever. Its name was coined from Aristotle's Politiká as early as 4AD.
It was Plato's Politeia and closer to 400 BC.

Thats not what I was referencing. Yes, Plato's Politeia came first. And Aristotle citations go back 1200+BC

Both exist.

Point is: Its old. Likely been with humanity since we could communicate.

OP acts surprised or truly is naive if he thinks only suddenly things are turbulent.

Check out the game i'm working on

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 21:13:37

I think the big reason for these problems is the level of control by big corporations and Wall Street elites.

They use their massive wealth for lobbying and influence over politics. Divided government benefits them since they don't get regulated as left and right bicker over every little thing.

Also, they invest in China and outsource manufacturing to China. Anything made in China = money for the Chinese Communist Party.

What do we do to stand up to these billionaires? We do nothing.

When did we give up on Power to the People?

Why am I?

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-08 22:10:13

When didn’t it go wrong?

“do you think god stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he’s created here on earth?”-Steve buscemi, spy kids 2

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-09 09:54:51

At 9/8/21 09:13 PM, Th-e wrote: When did we give up on Power to the People?

Ask the commie-baiters.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 00:27:38

Corruption, profit, etc.

Do ya really think these politicians give a shit about us?

Nah.

duck spin

BBS Signature

I'd say part of it (at least in the U.S.) is for one, that a decent portion of our politicians are corrupt and not acting in good faith, and the fact that honest politicians are not, or can not be as direct about calling it out as they should be. Where did it go wrong? My personal theory is that it all started going down hill when JFK became president.

"Orthur"

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 08:33:11

This is where votes became less anonymous and the rednecks came together and became a hivemind

[I lied lol]

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 08:55:56

I think the problem we're facing is that it's become impossible to convince people to care about the environment, covid, things that matter, things that really should not be politicized have become talking points - and this has caused people to become irritable. It's a dragon, a big monster that you have little to no control over and we as humans are capable of defeating said dragon - if we work together. Unfortunately there is a right and a wrong way of defeating the dragon, and people are going to argue about how it should be defeated while the dragon burns down villagers' homes and eats people...

At 9/13/21 08:33 AM, TheDiamondfinder wrote:
This is where votes became less anonymous and the rednecks came together and became a hivemind

Pretty much everybody with an unconventional opinion found a captive audience in the escape of the internet around the late 90s.

Blogs, livejournal, Geocities pages, that one that came before it I’m forgetting the name of, all littered with just, junk. Aliens. JFK. 9/11.

But it was the Wild West back then. And it was good. You could simply laugh at them and move on to the next one-horse town

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 10:23:44

When we let money get in the way of morality

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 11:16:30

1987-present

whatever happens Dont Click this please

BBS Signature

At 9/8/21 08:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I don’t wish to resort to a reductio ad mortem argument (partly because I don’t know if that’s the phrase to use), but I don’t see how circumstances that led to the deaths of several people in Washington DC in January 2021 boils down to:

”It’s just a joke”.

Reminds me of an anecdotal story of a Tiktoker trying to get clout with prank videos that got himself killed when he tried to stage a fake robbery. Supposedly his last words were "It's just a prank, bro." Wait, my bad. Youtuber. I think this was the one. Uh... looking at what I searched for, I'm getting sad about these people dying for prank videos.

It's not humorless versus humor. It's people not listening and willing to at least entertain the idea of compromise.

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 13:37:58

it all went wrong when my dad went to the shop for some fags and never came back

Make movie, drink strawberry milk, eat sandwich, skate

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 15:42:51

I blame these guys.

iu_417442_7904409.png

BBS Signature

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 17:34:27

iu_417518_9072736.jpg

Response to Where did politics go wrong? 2021-09-13 18:05:56

When they startediu_417541_9364864.jpg