00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021

886 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-03 23:06:03

This month's prompt: Design your OC's pets

iu_408612_8048042.webp

Real animal or not, make a critter companion for a character you've already designed. Take its environment and owner into consideration when designing its appearance.

Be sure to post your OCs alongside your pet designs so we can compare and contrast. Good luck!

As always, these challenges don’t expire, so you can take your time and submit to any of them at any time.

Previous challenges:

1: Wild West Vampires

2: Space Station Daily Life

3: Matching Weapon/Gear Sets

4: Abstract Shapes

5: OC Alignment Flip

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-04 05:59:40

It's about time! Funnily enough, there was a thread recently where a kind artist were drawing people's oc's as cats, and as a thank you I drew my oc with the cat they drew, so that's quite the coinkydink. But I'm gonna draw something fresh for this challenge I think. Quite the challenge though- a character, their pet, and their environment huh? I can imagine a lot of people will drop the environment part (even if that bit is the bit I'm most interested in seeing).

Also love that picture! It's really swell.

Squid pro quo. Tits for tat.

Check out my sketches and stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-07 06:59:33

Oh yeah, for clarity's sake, if you already have a pet design, try to do something new instead. Youse can do's it.

At 9/3/21 11:06 PM, Skoops wrote: This month's prompt: Design your OC's pets

Real animal or not, make a critter companion for a character you've already designed. Take its environment and owner into consideration when designing its appearance.

Be sure to post your OCs alongside your pet designs so we can compare and contrast. Good luck!

As always, these challenges don’t expire, so you can take your time and submit to any of them at any time.
Previous challenges:

Well here's a half-joking submission.

Wendoe's chihuahua.

iu_411837_9484520.png

Check current mood, cool music!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-07 16:05:57

not really a pet, but rather a spirit that keeps fargo alive

iu_411940_9258099.png

this is Sanghuis, a denizen i made a year ago who original came from a doomed timeline where fargo died in his sburb session. Sanghuis' interdimensional powers allow him to travel thru timeline. Due to his original timeline being doomed, he travelled to a main timeline where Fargo nearly died from the alternian war, and granted him eternal life and ". In exchange with Sanghuis staying inside Fargo's body forever whilst feeding off his flesh and blood. Saghuis would also later grant Fargo his Prince of Blood power (seen below)

iu_411941_9258099.png

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-08 06:34:37

At 9/7/21 01:59 PM, WendigoVDB wrote:

Previous challenges:

Only half? 🐵

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-08 06:43:56

At 9/7/21 04:05 PM, sneedsterTaliburn wrote: this is Sanghuis, a denizen i made a year ago

Cool idea, but you came up with the design a year ago, yeah? It's fine to share, but the spirit of these challenges is to get folks to make new art centered around new designs.

That said, characters that are hopping between dimensions would be really good subjects for Design Challenge 5, OC Alignment Flip.

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-08 08:34:23

At 9/8/21 06:34 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 9/7/21 01:59 PM, WendigoVDB wrote:

Previous challenges:
Only half? 🐵

I left the other half at home

Check current mood, cool music!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-16 07:15:22

Hm, I might've misread the contest a little; I should've given the pet a little more limelight. Right now it's kind of just... there. Then again I wanted it to be a little more down to earth- a down to earth pet for a down to earth pair of characters. Since it's more real world in the cold north, I though a husky would fit well.

iu_419742_2986819.png

Anyway, can't think of a name for the dog; any good ideas? Also here's some progress sketches I did for this. As you can see, dogs are, eh, tricky, especially from the front.

Anyway, I might make another submission to this contest in a while if things are still quiet (one of the sketches is cute and I'm feeling a hankering to redraw it digitially). Hopefully this bumps the thread a little. Feel free to criticise or whatever. Looking forward to what other people will do!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-17 00:52:20

At 9/16/21 07:15 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Hm, I might've misread the contest a little; I should've given the pet a little more limelight. Right now it's kind of just... there. Then again I wanted it to be a little more down to earth- a down to earth pet for a down to earth pair of characters. Since it's more real world in the cold north, I though a husky would fit well.

Anyway, can't think of a name for the dog; any good ideas? Also here's some progress sketches I did for this. As you can see, dogs are, eh, tricky, especially from the front.

Anyway, I might make another submission to this contest in a while if things are still quiet (one of the sketches is cute and I'm feeling a hankering to redraw it digitially). Hopefully this bumps the thread a little. Feel free to criticise or whatever. Looking forward to what other people will do!

Sometimes just having an animal in the scene livens it up. My friend shares this philosophy, as evidenced by his cat, named "Furniture."

I always like this slice of life stuff; it's a much bigger challenge to make it convincing than people realize, but it's great for developing a design sense. You really have to think about all the minor stuff that people need to do any little task, and that gets the gears turning about what their environment is most commonly used for, what other things they might do there, etc. I might do the classic "modern bedroom" as a prompt someday, though I think that'd probably gonna scare most folks away for the month.

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-17 10:16:16

At 9/17/21 12:52 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 9/16/21 07:15 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Hm, I might've misread the contest a little; I should've given the pet a little more limelight. Right now it's kind of just... there. Then again I wanted it to be a little more down to earth- a down to earth pet for a down to earth pair of characters. Since it's more real world in the cold north, I though a husky would fit well.

Sometimes just having an animal in the scene livens it up. My friend shares this philosophy, as evidenced by his cat, named "Furniture."

I always like this slice of life stuff; it's a much bigger challenge to make it convincing than people realize, but it's great for developing a design sense. You really have to think about all the minor stuff that people need to do any little task, and that gets the gears turning about what their environment is most commonly used for, what other things they might do there, etc. I might do the classic "modern bedroom" as a prompt someday, though I think that'd probably gonna scare most folks away for the month.

Those are some good words.

As for the modern bedroom- it's a good prompt, but that's deffo gonna' scare people here. I've noticed that most people dislike doing backgrounds and environments. On the one hand, maybe that's exactly why it should be the subject- an environment challenge would be great practice! On the other though, one has to consider the point of a public challenge that not many people would do- after all, it's not only to challenge onself, but to also see what other people have done, and having interactions/discussions with others that ultimately strengthen the community. I don't want to say to pander to forum trends either, because that'll get stale real quick. It's a tough cookie deciding on good prompts.

Sorry if I digressed- I had to get up for work at 4 and I'm a little loopy, so sorry if I'm not making sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-17 12:29:30

At 9/17/21 10:16 AM, FlikkiShassART wrote:
At 9/17/21 12:52 AM, Skoops wrote:

Those are some good words.

As for the modern bedroom- it's a good prompt, but that's deffo gonna' scare people here. I've noticed that most people dislike doing backgrounds and environments. On the one hand, maybe that's exactly why it should be the subject- an environment challenge would be great practice! On the other though, one has to consider the point of a public challenge that not many people would do- after all, it's not only to challenge onself, but to also see what other people have done, and having interactions/discussions with others that ultimately strengthen the community. I don't want to say to pander to forum trends either, because that'll get stale real quick. It's a tough cookie deciding on good prompts.

Sorry if I digressed- I had to get up for work at 4 and I'm a little loopy, so sorry if I'm not making sense.

I might want to think about fundraising for a prompt contest one of these months. I want to do something genuinely challenging, get stickied, front paged, and attract some more folks to the regular, easier prompts. That'd be fun.

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-17 12:32:29

At 9/17/21 12:29 PM, Skoops wrote: I might want to think about fundraising for a prompt contest one of these months. I want to do something genuinely challenging, get stickied, front paged, and attract some more folks to the regular, easier prompts. That'd be fun.

I'm totally willing to put down £50 or so for it. Also yeah, that's a good strategy.

BBS Signature

iu_423228_8658321.webp

Not an rlly an oc except for the cat...

If u recognize the character good for you...

Previous challenges:

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-20 11:18:59

Previous challenges:

Unfortunately Jared has no pet

iu_423296_9282917.png

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-20 16:16:03

At 9/20/21 09:00 AM, Apollo937 wrote:
Not an rlly an oc except for the cat...
If u recognize the character good for you...

Ah, a Scott Pilgrim fan- nice. Also, putting a moustache on a cat- cute!

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-22 07:00:14

At 9/20/21 11:18 AM, Jaredthetrashbag wrote: Unfortunately Jared has no pet

I forgive Jared.

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-25 11:08:32

I’ve been away for a few weeks but when I come back I wanna participate 💪

I wanted to bump this thread tho so it doesn’t start dying off

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-25 16:07:30

Not canon but thought of this, maybe? I'll probably come up with a new one later. Hope that's okay!

iu_429262_7798151.webp

BBS Signature

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-27 10:43:24

At 9/22/21 07:00 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 9/20/21 11:18 AM, Jaredthetrashbag wrote: Unfortunately Jared has no pet
I forgive Jared.

Jared thanks you

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2021-09-29 03:50:13

Doodled a weird space lizard for Wikki

iu_432333_8048042.png

iu_1052662_7497764.webp

I didn't actually get a pet. I just made this for the challenge.

Response to Design Challenge #6 - 09 2021 2023-08-18 11:41:53

I decided to make a little character sheet for him.iu_1054320_7497764.webp