00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Create a free account to unlock the full magic and wonder of Newgrounds!

Friday Night Funkin Overrated

1,752 Views | 66 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 03:11:55


Let's be honest, rhythm games are dime-a-dozen. You can find hundreds of them on the Google Play or Apple App Store. Even Yandere Simulator, a game that took 6 years to produce a barely functional demo, has 2 rhythm games shoved into it. There is as much innovation in FNF as some Tetris clone with a hip-hop, chiptune soundtrack.


What's worse is the abuse of nostalgia to make a quick buck. Yes, other games have used nostalgia as a selling point. For example, Undertale utilized nostalgia for old JRPGs such as Mother and Final Fantasy. The difference between Undertale and FNF is that Undertale has a captivating story with well rounded, original characters and the nostalgia was in the background aesthetic of the game. People remember the story of Undertale even years after last playing the game. The characters are beloved for their personalities and quirks. The nostalgia takes second fiddle to the writing, gameplay, and visual designs. On the other hand, FNF's story is nothing more than, "boy beatboxes to get girl." The characters don't have any character, they are literal cardboard cutouts. The character's offical names like "Boyfriend" and "Daddy Dearest" are more like pre-alpha test placeholders than names of actual game characters. The nostalgia isn't even in the gameplay. The nostalgia is in blunt cameo appearance of figures from the Golden Age of Newgrounds (GAN). Look there's Pico! And there's Zone-tan! Tankman makes an appearance! FNF's demographic seems to be late gen Z and early gen alpha but how many of these kids grew up with or even know these GAN characters? As of this posting, the official FNF Kickstarter has made more than 2.2 million USD. Undertale was made on a budget of about 50000 USD (https://www.themarysue.com/interview-undertale-game-creator-toby-fox/). Does a game as simplistic and cookie-cutter as FNF really need 2.2 million USD when a game like Undertale was made at a fraction of the cost? Even Five Nights at Freddy's was made despite getting 0 USD in it's Kickstater. Where is all that Kickstater money for FNF going to go to? Licensing more GAN characters? A better soundtrack or visuals? It would appear FNF is the most expensive Flash-styled game ever to be produced. FNF must be careful in its spending and hype-management or else it will bomb harder that The Adventures of Pluto Nash did. Then again, it doesn't really matter if FNF is just a scheme to make the most amount of money while producing the lowest quality product. FNF may be more innovative that I originally thought, then again Yandere Simulator has been raking in thousands of dollars on Patreon each year for 6 years despite a productivity rate lower than that of the US Congress.


To put simply, FNF is a low quality game that is getting all the hype due to a handful of nostalgic GAN cameos and references. It is undeserving of the funds it has recivied. Just because a game isn't made by "suits" doesn't mean it will be free from greed and corner cutting. If you are considering spending money to fund FNF, please consider donating to a worthy cause instead. Some charities to consider are Amnesty International, the World Wide Fund for Nature, Habitat for Humanity International, the United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund, and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.


At 5/31/21 03:11 AM, BlackKitsune42 wrote: Don't give money to thing I don't like, give it to charity instead


wow op you're such a good person I'm so impressed


What's up with that

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 03:28:45


Do you enjoy sucking the fun out of everything?


Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam

It's hard being epic in a world of fail

BBS Signature

I think they capitalized beautifully on the fact that we haven't had much fun and interactive rhythm game for quite some time. The competitors are OSA which is weeb-fuel, and Parappa the Rapper. The rest felt like mini-games without much focus on it being challenging.


Personally it felt like you've been playing the browser ver rather than the downloaded versions which are much smoother to play. My favorite is the Whitty Mod not because of Whitty in it, but rather the fact that it has the note placements corrected and is way smoother.


I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 03:39:15


bruh

iu_318487_1625818.jpg

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 03:46:54


i bet you’re fun at party’s


have a nice life

BBS Signature

Friday Night Funkin has some really great music, and that's all you really need for a rhythm game. Everything doesn't have to be Rhythm Heaven Fever, simpler mechanics appeal to a wider demographic. You should be happy for the people that are enjoying FNF and the fact that people that are being introduced into the genre through it. :)


It isn't too often these days that developers release games like this, a throwback to the golden age of flash gaming, for the PC instead of having them bursting at the seams with microtransactions and advertisements on mobile.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 05:47:03


Are there better games? Yes. Is it perhaps a bit overrated? Maybe. Is it a good game regardless? Yes.


Your frustration is understood but its overall irrelevant. The game has effort, its fun, and most importantly, people enjoy it. They plan on doing a story and implementing cutscenes as youve seen in week 7, I think thats great but thats not what this game is. The game isnt played for story or meant to give you meanings to life, its meant entirely to be fun and have characters you love n havent seen in awhile. It was originally a NG only game and I doubt they had much plans besides give characters they love some screen time. People wanted more and they wanted to make money doing something they enjoyed so they decided to take it into a new fuller direction. Kudos to them for adapting to what everyone wants. I think 2.2 mil is definitely overkill but no one forced anyone to empty their wallets. Its saddening a lot of good games dont get the recognition or monetary value they deserve, but Im confident that people will still enjoy this game when it releases. It may not be the best game but it will be exactly what was expected and thats honestly all the people want. Im glad it got popular because the site needed a revival. Im glad it got popular because muffin always seemed like a nice kid who enjoyed what he did and wanted to entertain people. Im glad it got popular because I believe this will shape a lot of peoples future for the better. As weird as it sounds I think it fills people with hope knowing they can goof off with a lil passion project in their community n actually go somewhere with it. Maybe the boom of FNF will inspire others to just go for it and produce quality content with people theyre fond of.


Point is, we dont always have to be negative about big booms. We dont always have to be negative about everything we see. The game actually got me into trying out other rhythm games and I enjoyed the experience overall. Youre allowed to vent and thats perfectly fine, but itd do you a lot better to try to see some positive every now and again.


Peel back the bark for a hidden message.

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 11:03:21


Hey guys you should watch the funny "Coca cola espuma" video because it is way better than this thread.


#swag

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 11:05:09


If you boast about undertale having a great story then you might have to rethink your choices


D

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 11:52:34


let people have fun for once......


BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 11:55:48


iu_318674_9225820.webp


The Tiger Poster

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 13:36:34


At 5/31/21 03:32 AM, Projects-Dev wrote:

My favorite is the Whitty Mod not because of Whitty in it, but rather the fact that it has the note placements corrected and is way smoother.


When the fan mods/games are better than the original game that is usually a red flag that something is wrong. Take Sonic the Hedgehog for example. The community-made Sonic Mania is probably the best game the series released in ages while all of the Sonic Team-made games have continued to flop. At that point, the community should take over ownership of the game property. Likewise should happen to FNF if the mods and fan versions are better than the original.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 13:54:09


At 5/31/21 05:14 AM, Pico wrote: It isn't too often these days that developers release games like this, a throwback to the golden age of flash gaming, for the PC instead of having them bursting at the seams with microtransactions and advertisements on mobile.


The reason you don't see too many throwbacks to the golden age of Flash is simply due to the fact that it wasn't that long ago. It takes a while for something to gain nostalgic appeal and Flash games are just starting to reach that age. Just like how nostalgia for the 1960s-1990s have been exploited to death for profit, so too will happen to the era of Flash gaming. Believe me, FNF is just the start of a wave of nostalgia-baiters. Seems like all you need is to slap Pico or Tankman on some Flash-style game and the money comes a flowing whether the game actually deserves it or not.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 13:58:18


At 5/31/21 01:36 PM, BlackKitsune42 wrote:
At 5/31/21 03:32 AM, Projects-Dev wrote:
My favorite is the Whitty Mod not because of Whitty in it, but rather the fact that it has the note placements corrected and is way smoother.

When the fan mods/games are better than the original game that is usually a red flag that something is wrong. Take Sonic the Hedgehog for example. The community-made Sonic Mania is probably the best game the series released in ages while all of the Sonic Team-made games have continued to flop. At that point, the community should take over ownership of the game property. Likewise should happen to FNF if the mods and fan versions are better than the original.


Honestly the whitty mod got so bad it created bomb syndrome where every mod wants to get the same feeling of it


D

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 13:58:49


tf... i don't like fnf anymore because someone on internet said so.... they told me go to charity.... i pulled a loan for charity and donated bajillions of dollars to peta... im good persona now...


BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:01:38


At 5/31/21 05:47 AM, Moderatedevil wrote: Are there better games? Yes. Is it perhaps a bit overrated? Maybe. Is it a good game regardless? Yes.

Your frustration is understood but its overall irrelevant. The game has effort, its fun, and most importantly, people enjoy it. They plan on doing a story and implementing cutscenes as youve seen in week 7, I think thats great but thats not what this game is. The game isnt played for story or meant to give you meanings to life, its meant entirely to be fun and have characters you love n havent seen in awhile. It was originally a NG only game and I doubt they had much plans besides give characters they love some screen time. People wanted more and they wanted to make money doing something they enjoyed so they decided to take it into a new fuller direction. Kudos to them for adapting to what everyone wants. I think 2.2 mil is definitely overkill but no one forced anyone to empty their wallets. Its saddening a lot of good games dont get the recognition or monetary value they deserve, but Im confident that people will still enjoy this game when it releases. It may not be the best game but it will be exactly what was expected and thats honestly all the people want. Im glad it got popular because the site needed a revival. Im glad it got popular because muffin always seemed like a nice kid who enjoyed what he did and wanted to entertain people. Im glad it got popular because I believe this will shape a lot of peoples future for the better. As weird as it sounds I think it fills people with hope knowing they can goof off with a lil passion project in their community n actually go somewhere with it. Maybe the boom of FNF will inspire others to just go for it and produce quality content with people theyre fond of.

Point is, we dont always have to be negative about big booms. We dont always have to be negative about everything we see. The game actually got me into trying out other rhythm games and I enjoyed the experience overall. Youre allowed to vent and thats perfectly fine, but itd do you a lot better to try to see some positive every now and again.


This is one of the most thoughtful and well-written responses I have ever read on NG. Thank you. My main concern is how Kickstarter projects are notorious for not living up to expectations resulting in buyers remorse. Wouldn't be the first time a developer left their backers with an unsatisfactory product. 2.2 mil USD for a simple Flash style game? Something just doesn't seem right.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:04:57


At 5/31/21 01:58 PM, DevBiteki wrote: i pulled a loan for charity and donated bajillions of dollars to peta


People for the Ethical Treament of Animals or

People Eating Tasty Animals?


They are two very different organizations. Which one did you donate to? ;)

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:13:00


At 5/31/21 02:04 PM, BlackKitsune42 wrote:
At 5/31/21 01:58 PM, DevBiteki wrote: i pulled a loan for charity and donated bajillions of dollars to peta
People for the Ethical Treament of Animals or
People Eating Tasty Animals?

They are two very different organizations. Which one did you donate to? ;)


mmmmm tasty animals... delish.... if it makes me a good person compared to donate to tasty animals....


BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:15:02


Imagine getting mad over a rhythm game that actually inspired thousands of people and creating great works of art because some lazy ass dude decided to work on a project that blew up newgrounds (literally) honestly The game is amazing the story is pretty good so is the art work and its actually unique unlike most rhythm games out there this game brought a lot of people and a lot of chaos with it I'm just glad that a new community was born out of it while it may not be perfect and a lot of the shit people make are pretty cringe most of the shit I've seen are great works of art either it being animations or some simple art work

hell someone even make a fucking 8 bit version of the game and it actually works! I'm fucking tired of seeing the same shit everyday with nothing new going on the internet most of the shit that goes down is depressing garbage the fact that a "simple game" blew up a part of the internet is amazing so what if the project made over millions of dollars? that's just more funding for the game! and you bet your ass I'm gonna buy it! or maybe not maybe the devs will release it for free i mean look at the funding they got! but I'm happy for the devs for creating something new and interesting on the internet i hope they make even more games in the future because lately the gaming industry is falling on hard concrete right now and I'm just happy i got another game to play to make the pain of life go away.


(Real men use the nano editor for programming)

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:20:31


How a hater made a straight up bible on how FNF is not worth money


BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:39:08


At 5/31/21 02:01 PM, BlackKitsune42 wrote:
At 5/31/21 05:47 AM, Moderatedevil wrote: Are there better games? Yes. Is it perhaps a bit overrated? Maybe. Is it a good game regardless? Yes.

Your frustration is understood but its overall irrelevant. The game has effort, its fun, and most importantly, people enjoy it. They plan on doing a story and implementing cutscenes as youve seen in week 7, I think thats great but thats not what this game is. The game isnt played for story or meant to give you meanings to life, its meant entirely to be fun and have characters you love n havent seen in awhile. It was originally a NG only game and I doubt they had much plans besides give characters they love some screen time. People wanted more and they wanted to make money doing something they enjoyed so they decided to take it into a new fuller direction. Kudos to them for adapting to what everyone wants. I think 2.2 mil is definitely overkill but no one forced anyone to empty their wallets. Its saddening a lot of good games dont get the recognition or monetary value they deserve, but Im confident that people will still enjoy this game when it releases. It may not be the best game but it will be exactly what was expected and thats honestly all the people want. Im glad it got popular because the site needed a revival. Im glad it got popular because muffin always seemed like a nice kid who enjoyed what he did and wanted to entertain people. Im glad it got popular because I believe this will shape a lot of peoples future for the better. As weird as it sounds I think it fills people with hope knowing they can goof off with a lil passion project in their community n actually go somewhere with it. Maybe the boom of FNF will inspire others to just go for it and produce quality content with people theyre fond of.

Point is, we dont always have to be negative about big booms. We dont always have to be negative about everything we see. The game actually got me into trying out other rhythm games and I enjoyed the experience overall. Youre allowed to vent and thats perfectly fine, but itd do you a lot better to try to see some positive every now and again.
This is one of the most thoughtful and well-written responses I have ever read on NG. Thank you. My main concern is how Kickstarter projects are notorious for not living up to expectations resulting in buyers remorse. Wouldn't be the first time a developer left their backers with an unsatisfactory product. 2.2 mil USD for a simple Flash style game? Something just doesn't seem right.


The thing about Friday Night Funkin, We already got a solid demo of a game that takes up to 7 Weeks. And in that 7 weeks got better as updates rolled out. The amount of quality that Week 7 should indicate that they know what they are doing. And with the lack of having to push out an update quickly will help make the game have better quality added on top. If you want to compare to other kickstarted games that have flopped like Might Number 9, That game didn't even have a demo, The final product didn't look like what we were presented from the start. FNF literally has a demo and even has it on the page that they will be reworking and overhauling plenty of the menus and many other things, For sure, This game will still look the same but better (Remember, They've been using that menu style since the Ludum Dare 47, Which is a game jam in which people have 48 hours to make a game, Yes FNF took 48 hours to be made originally). The original goal for Friday Night Funkin was just 60k which packed tons of features As-is. The stretch goals was completely optional and they just so happen to reach every single goal in a span of a month. I've seen people compared the stretch goals to other people's games that they also kickstarted but also forgot to mention that they struggled financially even with the stretch goals reached. Also don't forget that funding of the game is cut in half thanks to taxes as well. So that 2.2 Million is actually a 1.1 Million budget for the game which is quite a bit of money still. And the features and character that they will implement seems fair enough. Honestly I don't know why people ends up caring about how much money the project made, That was on the decision of the consumer, Funkin man Ninjamuffin didn't even ask for 2.2 million lmao. As long as the game is really fun and polished in my perspective, I couldn't really care less.


So TLDR: you can litterally play friday night funkin to experience what the full game could be like and ninjamuffin didn't ask for 2.2 million and only asked 60k which would make the game very feature rich as is.


BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:42:30


Popular things can suck my balls.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:57:33


TL;DR: I hate people having fun.


Your local Newgrounds fanboy and musician.

Bandcamp - Ko-fi

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 14:58:38


those guys are totally gonna send you a t-shirt one day


| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 15:17:20


when you get mad at the fax machine be like


was not the impostor.

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 18:43:08


At 5/31/21 02:42 PM, UncleRumple wrote: Popular things can suck my balls.


Fortnite and Among Us are popular and both of them are much better than FNF tenfold.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 18:56:08


At 5/31/21 06:43 PM, BlackKitsune42 wrote:
At 5/31/21 02:42 PM, UncleRumple wrote: Popular things can suck my balls.
Fortnite and Among Us are popular and both of them are much better than FNF tenfold.


Gonna have to put you down for that opinion buddy

iu_318989_8727961.jpg

No one disses fortnite in front of the dinner


D

BBS Signature

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 19:25:00


At 5/31/21 06:56 PM, Gimpmastermind wrote:
At 5/31/21 06:43 PM, BlackKitsune42 wrote:
At 5/31/21 02:42 PM, UncleRumple wrote: Popular things can suck my balls.
Fortnite and Among Us are popular and both of them are much better than FNF tenfold.
Gonna have to put you down for that opinion buddy

No one disses fortnite in front of the dinner


How am I dissing Fornite? I am saying Fornite and Among Us are much better games than FNF will ever be.

Response to Friday Night Funkin Overrated 2021-05-31 19:32:30


jesus christ